test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #23

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Content Designer Charles Gray shares details about the second Spire Featured Project in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here are some before and after images that we took for this specific project*:

Image 1 - Before
    Image 1 - After

Image 2 - Before
    Image 2 - After

~Captain Smirk
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That should liven things up a bit!

...Seriously, though, the default interior to the Fleet Spire is extremely dull, and the lounge will go a long way towards changing that.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't wait till these projects are one day reasonably priced, so that My fleet will become interested.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Winter event!!! .... oh ok will come back another day.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so a less populated version of the bar in allied command?
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so a less populated version of the bar in allied command?

yes but at a cost of 200k dilithium
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Romulan Republic is leading the Joint Command in charge of operations inside the Sphere, and they know that the Dyson Sphere is too immense for them to divert adequate resources for a full survey of it.

How about some REAL exploration while you guys are at it, too, please. The Voth can't be everywhere inside the Sphere, right?
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • karadrewkaradrew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Shouldn't their be a bartender?
  • rollthorrollthor Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What a(nother) useless resources eating addition to this game that boasts so many grinds!

just keep adding more projects that so many fleets won't be able to complete even in years to come since they just won't be able to pay for them!

u know what? i don't complain bout stuff like that being added to the game but that they are so expensive, since they don't grand a dime of usefulness to the game. THEY JUST COST!

at least make em cheaper and don't use em as a tool to make players play the game even longer just to GRIND for resources! only thing u achieve is burn out players.

met so many ppl in game that have abandoned their fleets (left a single char in) and went on to other fleets since they didn't get anywhere.

and while im at it:

make the reputation easier for ppl that have many chars. u already made it better but it's not enough. all u devs prolly only have one char but imagine u have 8 (like me) or more.

i stopped making new chars since i just can't catch up with reputation on all of them. why would i try the different factions flavours (eng,Sci,Tac) when i can't play em not maxed but least with good skills, fits, passives (rep passive skills). for e.g. a romulan eng would play different than a klink/fed eng right? ships n stuff make so much difference gameplay wise. now tell me why in hell would i make more toons if i can't bring em up to par with my other toons??? it's still too tedious grinding for expertise n marks and whatnot,...

sorry for my rant, just saying.

thanks for reading

regards

thanks a lot!
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just pointing out...

Like it or not, the main purpose of these visual upgrades is to give fleets -- especially large fleets -- another means of gaining fleet credits and increasing demand for dilithium (and zen).

If they were cheaper in Dil, they'd be worth less in fleet credits. And less lucrative for Cryptic, presumably.

Our fleet simply cannot sustain them at this time, so we aren't queuing them up. Last one we did was the Enterprise display. We've done three of them in all, I believe, and looking back I wish we'd saved the dilithium if we could have.

Now if there's anybody out there with 200K dilithium to burn and a hunger for fleet credits, I'll be happy to extend you an invite and queue one up just for you.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, but there aren't very many large fleets. :/
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Until the cost of these "Special Projects" comes back to a reality level, our fleets will NOT do them.....200k Dil is way overboard!
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here are some before and after images that we took for this specific project*:

Image 1 - Before
    Image 1 - After

Image 2 - Before
    Image 2 - After

~Captain Smirk

While I appreciate the effort in doing this, it would be far more beneficial if Cryptic was able to allow the entire community of STO to participate in the building of these areas, just as it should be for building a new Romulus, not exclusive to that of starbase fleets. Not everyone like myself are in a fleet, but want to participate in the building of assets within the game itself and obtaining those benefits. Just something to think about.
  • mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    I can't wait till these projects are one day reasonably priced, so that My fleet will become interested.

I still have that 'windows' project from the starbase slotted. I sent a fleet mail to the fleet asking them what they thought of 200K of dilithium being needed for windows. They all said 200K wasn't worth it. That's 30 people that find 200K to be ridiculous.

I haven't bothered to slot any of the other special projects for the embassy, mine, or spire. 50K is all these stupid projects are worth.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Just pointing out...

Like it or not, the main purpose of these visual upgrades is to give fleets -- especially large fleets -- another means of gaining fleet credits and increasing demand for dilithium (and zen).

If they were cheaper in Dil, they'd be worth less in fleet credits. And less lucrative for Cryptic, presumably.

Our fleet simply cannot sustain them at this time, so we aren't queuing them up. Last one we did was the Enterprise display. We've done three of them in all, I believe, and looking back I wish we'd saved the dilithium if we could have.

Now if there's anybody out there with 200K dilithium to burn and a hunger for fleet credits, I'll be happy to extend you an invite and queue one up just for you.

Yeah, it's a nice way to earn quick large amounts of fleet credits. But it takes forever to earn Diltihum for small fleets to do these projects. And Dilithium is needed for these Fleet Projects.

At the current rate my little fleets are progressing, it literally will take 7 years to finish all these projects, while Large Fleets are done the same day (and Fleet Holdings within a month). That's why small fleets are on their knees asking for major discounts, else what's the point in grinding for years?
  • manlyyamsmanlyyams Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My only complaint with this is that is it, for intents and purposes, just a mirror of the lounge in Allied Command. This is kind of disappointing. I was kind of concerned when I saw the layout of the interior of the sphere, but hoped/assumed that we were going to be getting more than just copy-paste from the main spire. So are we just going to be putting together Allied Command in our fleet spire?
  • siskobsiskob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't think the problem is the cost of fleet projects, but the way a fleet is run. 99% of most fleets, the players are free to contribute.

Assume Dilithium is Zen and Zen is Real Money.
    This puts a higher burden on those who contribute daily to those who barley contribute, but they share the same reward.

In my fleet we introduce the rule to divide dilithium costs for fleet projects evenly by the number of players. I assure you that it is extremely easy to build a fleet when all members have an obligation the contribute.

We created our fleet March 9/2013 2:33 pm.
    We are only 11 players and here is our progress:

Starbase - Embassy - Mine - Spire

If we can do it, you can do it
    edited November 2013
    This what frustrates me even more, a bunch of hardcore players pretending "it's easy". :mad:

Guess what buddy, there are people called causal players who have to work for a living and put food on the table for a family. They don't have time to spend 24/7 in STO grinding away Fleet Marks and Dilithum to upgrade a fleet. And they certainly don't have money to buy Zen and convert that to Dilithium. And they refuse to give up and go to a Tier 5 fleet, because they have a thing called friends and to some, family play together.

That's why many small and casual fleets are growing angrier, because Cryptic fails to acknowledge them and they are fans just as anyone else.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    manlyyams wrote: »
    My only complaint with this is that is it, for intents and purposes, just a mirror of the lounge in Allied Command. This is kind of disappointing. I was kind of concerned when I saw the layout of the interior of the sphere, but hoped/assumed that we were going to be getting more than just copy-paste from the main spire. So are we just going to be putting together Allied Command in our fleet spire?
    Basically, but Spire command doesn't have the balcony and we won't have all of the cool features, but it'll be pretty close.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

Since the baseline for fleet is based on the assumption of 25 man fleets, and these projects cost 200,000 dill, that translates to 8000 dil per player, or one days worth of refinement. Seems a reasonable cost to me.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    WOOO! Bring on the Planetarium lounge! \o/

You guys did notice that right? The ceiling turns into a mini-planetarium....
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    too costly for what you get.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thetanine wrote: »
    How about some REAL exploration while you guys are at it, too, please. The Voth can't be everywhere inside the Sphere, right?

I agree... those doff assignments you find are all potential points for a ground mission for your captain instead. It felt like there might have been the possibility to do that, but maybe the deadline to release S8 left that bit on the cutting room floor, replaced with doff assignments?

While I'm in a small fleet and would love the opportunity to acquire this, we're in the middle of several Upgrades that actually improve the Holdings themselves. The Dev Blog did say that "Completion of these special projects will unlock new features to expand the functionality and appearance of your Spire"; could you elaborate on what functions (beyond the cosmetic) are being included in this upgrade? For example, do the replicators in the background actually work, and do they have a lower price than standard vendors for food and drink consumables? Does lounging in the chairs and staring up at the stars provide a "relaxation bonus" or whatnot that improves mental debuff resistances for a limited time? Or some other functional improvement?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited November 2013
    could you elaborate on what functions (beyond the cosmetic) are being included in this upgrade? For example, do the replicators in the background actually work, and do they have a lower price than standard vendors for food and drink consumables? Does lounging in the chairs and staring up at the stars provide a "relaxation bonus" or whatnot that improves mental debuff resistances for a limited time? Or some other functional improvement?

Don't let them fool you, functionality is just that, cosmetic. The first was opening / closing the shutters, this one is merely letting you sit down at the table.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This what frustrates me even more, a bunch of hardcore players pretending "it's easy". :mad:

Guess what buddy, there are people called causal players who have to work for a living and put food on the table for a family. They don't have time to spend 24/7 in STO grinding away Fleet Marks and Dilithum to upgrade a fleet. And they certainly don't have money to buy Zen and convert that to Dilithium. And they refuse to give up and go to a Tier 5 fleet, because they have a thing called friends and to some, family play together.

That's why many small and casual fleets are growing angrier, because Cryptic fails to acknowledge them and they are fans just as anyone else.

What frustrates me is when casual players walk in and expect everything in the game given to them without putting in any effort, or money, or anything.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Does anyone actually use the interiors of the embassy, spire or mine for anything other than "beaming in -> running to the store -> beaming out?"

Even the starbases in the fleet(s) that I'm in are always deserted, except for a few planned events...
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do not see why people complain about the cost of these things. They are useless. You don't NEED to do them. They exist purely to serve as sinks for getting FC, and making them CHEAP to do would be purpose-defeating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    too costly for what you get.

When my KDF fleet ran into a brick wall with getting fleet credits ... I began to respect these a LOT more as it gave us a way for fleet members to earn them.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • siskobsiskob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As I said earlier, the price is not a problem, so we just made the new special project "Spire Lounge" and surprise ....

We've got Lounge ...

....a Bar ...

but .... NO BARTENDER !!!!!

After a trip between two quadrant, a small cold beer would be nice.

Cryptic allow us to get the bartender before dehydration makes us leave the dinosaur' land

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french
  • kemra1kemra1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Was all excited about this project.. did it on KDF side fleet and it was a little disappointing.. wheres our plants!? And the previous users left the place a mess! Is the next spire project a KDF side maid to pick up all those mugs because I'm sure as hell not cleaning up after that lot..

Seriously though can next featured project show both Fed and KDF screenshots, don't think I would have been as inspired to do KDF if I knew it would be kinda plain compared to Fed side.