test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New tutorial is amazing

Comments

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, after thinking about it even further - why to even limit such awesome mission-lines for a tutorial? Why not make a series out of it, put it before the Klingon mission line. That way, we'd get to explore our character's Academy lives (and it'd even be easy to make it replayable for existing characters too..). The work on this is way too impressive to be just a bunch of tutorial missions.. :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is it possible to let old chars play it somehow? I already have 8 chars and I hate the idea of making a new char just to play a mission.

The tutorial isn't all that long, and if you're going to play it on an old toon anyways, just create a new toon, all default, random the toon's name and ship name, then delete the toon when you're done.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can only agree, the new tutorial is A.W.E.S.O.M.E., i wish the rest of the game where more like it.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • milen93milen93 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new tutorial is great! It is really what the Federation gameplay should look like.
  • rocmistrocmist Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    (And both Eliza and K'mek are dismissible unlike Tovan. :P )

I know we can claim Eliza for level 50 characters; does anyone know if the same is possible for K'mek? (hopefully a purple level as well! :))

--Added--
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13444221&postcount=3

In short, they have not bothered to make the character available for KDF and there is no ETA (most likely never will ...)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    The tutorial isn't all that long, and if you're going to play it on an old toon anyways, just create a new toon, all default, random the toon's name and ship name, then delete the toon when you're done.
    that would require me to actually delete characters....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    A vast improvement over the original. Flores was a bit annoying at times, and I'm not sure that Vesta advertisement was necessary, but I loved the missions nonetheless. Great job, Cryptic!

I made an alt specifically for tryin it out myself and loved it... I also loved that Elisa was just as obnoxious as Tovan is... now just imagine that she stayed that obnoxious through out your entire lv1-40 career and was not dismissable... perhaps then youll understand why there are a half dozen or more Tovan hate threads.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The new tutorial is indeed a masterpiece. The first episode in which I actually read every word and even spoke the lines loudly for my own character. :)

However, why doesn't the new Origin Bridge have the new corridors as seen in the tutorial? Wasn't it supposed to be like that?
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I want to add my voice to the choir, the new Fed tutorial is truly amazing! I had a huge grin on my face all the way through it. I knew what would happen to Taggart after you met the Klingons but it was still a blow to have to do it. I loved that you got the chance to pull up your captain on procedural matters and the line "I'm a Starfleet Officer, It's in the job description". So please raise a glass to yourselves in my name, and, in conclusion, Thank you!
  • cyberpunkfalconcyberpunkfalcon Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How do I start this with an old character?

you cant. sorry.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Brilliant tutorial, so much better than the old one.
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I had one spare char slot, so I played and deleted the tutorial three times. Great tutorial, leaps and bounds better than the previous offerings.

I hope to see the Origin corridors and rooms in game soon. Love the Bridge with the wide view screen, however the Conn and Ops(?) consoles seem real close to the screen, maybe move them back some? Also like the more compact feel of the ready room.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rynohawk wrote: »
    I had one spare char slot, so I played and deleted the tutorial three times. Great tutorial, leaps and bounds better than the previous offerings.

I hope to see the Origin corridors and rooms in game soon. Love the Bridge with the wide view screen, however the Conn and Ops(?) consoles seem real close to the screen, maybe move them back some? Also like the more compact feel of the ready room.

Are you talking about the bridge that the new tutorial takes place in?

Anybody notice that the viewscreen isnt a viewscreen, instead it is a window? You can walk up to it and see the saucer section out in front of you.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes. Though when you visit the Bridge later, the saucer rim is gone. Probably because it might no longer match the player ship.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yes, the new Bridge. In the tutorial, it's a game map and not your actual player bridge map. That is why you see the saucer section, ESD, etc. On your player bridge, you see a star field as if you were at warp (albeit either going backwards or looking aft at the moment ;) ), and when you leave the Bridge and go to the rest of the ship, it's still the old style corridors.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll add to the chorus here, nicely done. All three factions now have great intro's. I went over to tribble and created a new character there. Loved every moment of the new Fed tutorial.

Bravo :)
    server_hamster6.png
    edited November 2013
    I agree, the new tutorial is awesome.

I finally made a human character and played through.

Nice work devs!

Just one question. shortly befor the launch to the ship there are several conversations options (inspire and so on) for your team mates. Do they have any influence?
    (no criticism, just curious)

+++++ SPOILER FOLLOWING+++++
    (highlight it if you want to read)

But there is one thing, among the battle group that saves the day at the end, does the defiant really have to be part of it?
    (i found it really cheesy, and i really hate that ship)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    New Tutorial. Two thumbs up!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    yreodred wrote: »

Nice work devs!

Just one question. shortly befor the launch to the ship there are several conversations options (inspire and so on) for your team mates. Do they have any influence?

But there is one thing, among the battle group that saves the day at the end, does the defiant really have to be part of it?

I think they are just there for the roleplayers.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • austg76austg76 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well i have now 15 of 16 STO Characters ..Most are Vice Admirals or equivalent title for the KDF and New Romulus.
    I have to say from the old Fed intro and training, This is like comparing impulse and warp speeds... the new one is WAY above the old one......like Transwarp compared to impulse...I liked it.....
    What a World...Server Crash...Respawn....borg Invades ...Respawn...
    edited November 2013
    By the way, does anyone know if cryptic is going to have something further in mind with the initial BOFF girly (first officer, Bolian Engineer and Vulcan Science BOFF) group?
    Like giving them a bigger role in future missions?

I ask this because i am going to dismiss at least half of them.

A tale of two Picards
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Nice work devs!

As to your spoiler I think it should have been the Belfast instead. I learned from someone else that Captain Shon's wife was apparently killed during the attack on Vega, in fact I think they should have had her be someone we can interact with during the colony invasion itself.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    By the way, does anyone know if cryptic is going to have something further in mind with the initial BOFF girly (first officer, Bolian Engineer and Vulcan Science BOFF) group?
    Like giving them a bigger role in future missions?

I ask this because i am going to dismiss at least half of them.

If they had any plans like that they wouldnt have made them dismissable.
    edited November 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    As to your spoiler I think it should have been the Belfast instead. I learned from someone else that Captain Shon's wife was apparently killed during the attack on Vega, in fact I think they should have had her be someone we can interact with during the colony invasion itself.
    Ah thanks, STO feels a bit confusing lately, lol.

stonewbie wrote: »
    If they had any plans like that they wouldnt have made them dismissable.
    Hopefully, i don't want to start a new character again in case Cryptic makes the girly group into viable characters. :)

A tale of two Picards
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Agreed. The new Fed tutorial is fantastic.

The only problem is it then leads into the same exact missions most Fed players have run dozens of times before.

In fact, my new Engi ran the tutorial and saved the crew of the Azura. Since then she's been cooling her heels at ESD.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just did the tutorial on a "throw away" character to see what everyone was so hyped about. Halfway in I was wishing I didn't make a throw away character. But on the plus side, when I make a character I plan to keep, I won't mind doing the tutorial again. That is a huge improvement over the previous ones.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I liked the new tutorial myself..one thing that I did not like about the old tutorial which I'm glad they fixed, is the fact that you have the same bridge on the ship you eventually take command of, because with the old tutorial, once you went to the bridge after the tutorial was completed, you had a completely different bridge than what you had during "Prelude to a Crisis" and this was on the same ship. WTF!!! Fortunately with the new tutorial that is no longer a problem. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gawain1313gawain1313 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I had installed this on my older computer and gone through the initial scenario and never played after that as things got hectic at home. After meeting a few folks in another game who a,so played this, i decided to try it again on my bigger computer. All went well during the intro scenario until i arrived in New Vega to stop the attackers. I ran into survivors who told me to take equipment from a nearby crate as well as an access code for (what i seem to recall)the closed gate. Problem is, i could not interact with the crates to access this equipment nor was i able to open the gate or interact with the panels near it. After a few attempts, i did manage to find a way to jump over the gate, figured out a way to get my stuck crew member to join me with a rally point and that's it. I managed to tag a few people who beamed away, could not shoot enemies to prevent them taking more people back to their ship and when i met up with the "administrator of the colony, there was no interaction with her or security, another gate was blocked without access and there was nowhere else to go.

Not sure if there was something buggy with my scenario, some restriction as a ftp or what ever, but i stopped there as i was stuck and couldn't progress never mind figuring out the 1st gate issue anyways. Any help appreciated.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to admit, good work devs.