test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New tutorial is amazing

nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Federation Discussion
Just finished the new tutorial and i must say its 1000 times better than the old one i love how the story develops.

i like the crew you get and its very much on par with the romulans now i dont think in the future ill be skipping it anymore. well done cryptic.

now about those hallways for our ship :)
0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
Post edited by nickcastleton on

Comments

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    People often forget to compliment on the good stuff, while they never forget to criticize the bad, so in the spirit of wanting to compliment on a job well done - Definitelly agree with this. Once I feel like making an alt, I won't be skipping the tutorial, because quite frankly, this is how missions should be. Interesting, progressive story and nicely done in the game too. Felt Trekky and was fun. Well played. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    agreed as well. That tutorial is now definetly up to par with the others.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I had hope to do it to see what its all about. Kinda like the KDF you could do them as well, unless I missed something with a new character. Since my KDF was at lv50 already. They told in the notes I won't be able to do the Fed at lv50. So guess I will miss out for now, and at least go claim what goodies they will allow me.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On behalf of everyone here at PWE/Cryptic, we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed the new tutorial so much, and thank you for the positive feedback :)

It's always great to here that new content is appreciated, and even looked forward too! It's music to our ears.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy all the new content in Season 8!

Don't forget to grab your Obelisk Carrier from Sphere of Influence, and your Solanae Tribble from the C-Store Item tab, before both promotions end!

~Captain Smirk
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    I had hope to do it to see what its all about. Kinda like the KDF you could do them as well, unless I missed something with a new character. Since my KDF was at lv50 already. They told in the notes I won't be able to do the Fed at lv50. So guess I will miss out for now, and at least go claim what goodies they will allow me.
    I'm not sure I understand this, but if you were under the impression that you can't have a toon at max level in each faction, then Admiral Sills, General Malthit, and Admiral tr'Keiniadh beg to differ.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this, but if you were under the impression that you can't have a toon at max level in each faction, then Admiral Sills, General Malthit, and Admiral tr'Keiniadh beg to differ.

No, it's that you can't replay the tutorial mission, nor can you play a retrofitted tutorial with an older character. So a Fed character made before the start of S8 can't play the new tutorial at all.
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure I understand this, but if you were under the impression that you can't have a toon at max level in each faction, then Admiral Sills, General
    Malthit, and Admiral tr'Keiniadh beg to differ.

Mandoknight, is correct. In order to see the tutorial you have to create a brand new character. So you can see it. You can't go and do it with a character that was created before this. Unlike the KDF one, I went back and did those new missions with my Lv50 Klingon. Where this new one with the Fed I can't.

I still have 1 slot left, so I can create one just to see the beginning of it. The thought of a Science Captain has crossed my mind.

edited November 2013
    In my opinion, it's worth it to create a new toon to see this tutorial. On the other tentacle, if you just want the purple Tac BOff, Elisa Flores, then according to the patch notes (IIRC) your Fed Admiral should be able to request her from the Caitian personnel officer at the Academy - Lt. Ferra or something like that...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Finally created my first Science character (only type I hadn't done in the past 4 years - not a Sci guy); and yes, I have to say the new Fed tutorial is LEAPS and BOUNDS above what the Feds had before. I like the way I introduces a player to BOTH the KDF war and the Borg treat now. I also am impressed how you guys managed to reuse and keep a portion of the VO done by Zachary Quinto given the fact that you're not the ship that sends a landing party to the U.S.S. Khitomer anymore. :eek: (although he still sounds more like he's doing a reading rather than acting, but VO is hard form some main stream actors.)

I also wish we could get the new corridors (and Shuttlebay) into the STO ship interior system and replace te oversize corridors that exist currently. Overall a really nice tutorial, and all three factions do have interesting starting tutorials now that are worth doing at least once (biut I'll still do it for any new alts I make.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On behalf of everyone here at PWE/Cryptic, we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed the new tutorial so much, and thank you for the positive feedback :)

It's always great to here that new content is appreciated, and even looked forward too! It's music to our ears.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy all the new content in Season 8!

Don't forget to grab your Obelisk Carrier from Sphere of Influence, and your Solanae Tribble from the C-Store Item tab, before both promotions end!

~Captain Smirk
    Is it possible to let old chars play it somehow? I already have 8 chars and I hate the idea of making a new char just to play a mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2013
    I'm really not sure how that could be done, Mark - it's the tutorial, after all. You start off as a cadet at the Academy, about to undertake your midshipman cruise before being commissioned as an Ensign. By the end, of course, you've been given a battlefield commission and brevetted to Lieutenant, so you can have the rank needed to command a starship. Not sure how that could work for an existing character - what, your Admiral is sent back to the Academy for retraining or something?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2013
    Is it possible to let old chars play it somehow? I already have 8 chars and I hate the idea of making a new char just to play a mission.
    Yeah.. agreeing with this. I would love to see a mission as if "Blast from the past" - perhaps in form of the character recalling their Academy days. Even if it was a limited "event", I'd love to play it with my existing character as well. The mission could be a standalone, because it is, quite frankly, one of the best missions the game offers to Federation characters; would be shame for people not to play it, because so many people have already so many characters, and thus are not compelled to make new ones...and as such, they are missiing out on a really nicely done mission.

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

• age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like it as well I just wished it was on the same map as all the others are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited November 2013
    Yeah.. agreeing with this. I would love to see a mission as if "Blast from the past" - perhaps in form of the character recalling their Academy days. Even if it was a limited "event", I'd love to play it with my existing character as well. The mission could be a standalone, because it is, quite frankly, one of the best missions the game offers to Federation characters; would be shame for people not to play it, because so many people have already so many characters, and thus are not compelled to make new ones...and as such, they are missiing out on a really nicely done mission.

I love this idea.

edited November 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    I love this idea.
    Well, I could go into details, as to how to make it, to be awesome, but seriously, all it would take, is to simply put it, as if into past, recalling Academy days of the character. Heck, I could even come up with whole Story-line about Academy days of the character, similary to other Mission lines we have now. If I was more knowledgeable about Trek, and Foundry-creator saavy, I'd prolly go for that there... alas, I am new Star Trek/STO fan, so, I'd make lore mistakes, which I'd not forgive myself, as an obsessive perfectionist, heh. :)

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm really not sure how that could be done, Mark - it's the tutorial, after all. You start off as a cadet at the Academy, about to undertake your midshipman cruise before being commissioned as an Ensign. By the end, of course, you've been given a battlefield commission and brevetted to Lieutenant, so you can have the rank needed to command a starship. Not sure how that could work for an existing character - what, your Admiral is sent back to the Academy for retraining or something?
    Well, a long time ago, one of my chars somehow managed to replay(or halfway, I didn't finish it and it got stuck in my journal) the old fed tutorial. It was definitely kinda odd going back and doing things with gear that you had to do without the first time.

One thing I liked was that the old one was a social zone of sorts. It didn't have private instances, and thus it felt different than most missions do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All of the tutorials are quite excellent now. They all fit the faction perfectly. I rolled a new toon just to try it out and liked it so much I'm considering keeping him as my main and sending my current Feddy to the mines.

Until I do Hide and Seek again.
    <3
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I rolled a new character just to experience it. It was well worth it my opinion.

But I'm an alt-a-holic. I love making alts, so any excuse to do so is welcome!

But overall, great story line. Smooth introduction of different story elements, and some genuine surprises.

Well Done!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A vast improvement over the original. Flores was a bit annoying at times, and I'm not sure that Vesta advertisement was necessary, but I loved the missions nonetheless. Great job, Cryptic!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A vast improvement over the original. Flores was a bit annoying at times, and I'm not sure that Vesta advertisement was necessary, but I loved the missions nonetheless. Great job, Cryptic!

I did however like how she segued to the Miranda after ogling over the vesta, "aaaand then there's our ship." :P
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And yes, pretty please with sugar on top, put the new corridors in as well (with new quarters, lounge, etc.), and the shuttle bay. Also while I'm requesting things, a briefing room would be nice as well. ;)
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just wanted to drop in to tell you guys how much I love the new tutorial. Very well done. Anyone who hasn't done so, should consider creating an alt to play it - it really feels like an entire new featured episode!

The introduction of both, the Klingon War and the Borg threat is well done. Personally, I also loved Flores - she has a lot more personality than most NPCs, and I like her little quirks. I was also extremely impressed with the way you handled our characters field promotion. It feels a lot more realistic now, thanks to an exellent mission flow. I'm not thrown into the captain's chair, anyome - I earn my right to sit in there and get a cool crew, to go along with it.

I kinda wish, you guys would use the new tutorial as a basis for future missions. Maybe a featured episode about Vega colony? The situation there is very intriguing, but we never really explore the planet, or the Borg trapped there (story-wise, at least). You could also retell the whole time travel bookend loop thingy, which was present in the original tutorial and STFs.

My only dissapointment is, that a lot of the old story content is not even remotely close to this level of polish and exitment. Heck, even the original tutorial was a better story than most of the early Klingon Front missions. Maybe could take some time one day and revisit those plans to remaster the original storyline. It could use some love.

Anyway, thanks to the enitre team! You outdid yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • simplenerosimplenero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I enjoyed the new tutorial immensely. Very entertaining. I'm kinda wishing future missions are done in this style...
  • grabacr75grabacr75 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this new Fed-tutorial is way better then the old one , the story is the same (in its base) , but more interesting and I already like Elisa (far better then Romulans Tovan ,xD) ...
    all in all , a great new tutorial , but for me , a bit to short ... maybe a bit more focus on the Klingon-captain , not just the little fight you have with him (this new plot with the Klink-captain could be a 2 or 3 episode arc , in my opinion) ...

and , dunno if I should say this (dont blame me now , xD) ...
    am I the only one who sees a little similitude between the new tutorial and the 1st JJ-Star Trek-movie ?
    Starfleet Academy-cadets with no experience thrown right into action and player taking control of command (like Kirk) ... or is it just me? :)

cya :P
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I could never finish the Vega section of the tutorial on Tribble because it was bugged. Finally got to play through the whole thing with the voice overs in and it was fantastic. Taggart was a likeable character and I felt bad when he met his fate. I also loved the Borg attack on the Vega colony, it was great trying to warn them while the other ships getting the transports out and tagging colonists. I only wish the rest of the Federation storyline was as good as this :(.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I started a new character to try out the new tutorial, and I was really impressed! Hopefully the rest of the early Klingon War missions for the Feds can be remastered to a similar quality level in the near future.

Also, was it just co-incidence that the Captain of the training ship had the same name as the Captain from Galaxy Quest, or was that a little reference from the devs? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just finished running an alt through the new tutorial. . Sadly I wrote that alt for a specific crew. I now will roll another one just to keep Flores and company around.
    Loved the class specific options as well as the pure emotion put into all the characters.
    This makes all three tutorials have the great feel for their beginnings.

Junior officer Klingon assuming command during war.
    Farmer turned to desperate freedom fighter.
    Academy student earns their place on the bridge.

Brilliant!

(And both Eliza and K'mek are dismissible unlike Tovan. :P )

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I too did the new tutorial, and it was well done indeed. Hats off to the writers.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The tutorial was just amazing. I wish all episodes were done like this. It doesn't break immersion, the experience is near seamless and it doesn't make you feel like you can just skip it all as fast as possible.

After the fact, I feel empty though.. going back to the old episodes.

The voice acting and everything was just great, flow, presentation - all good.

Learn from this Dev-team and maybe you could start reworking all old episodes in a episodic manner you see in the series and the new tutorial.

We don't need to shoot everything to keep us entertained. Just some attachment to your bridge crew and ship, as if it really matters what name it bares. Full of Easter-eggs and references to the show is just awesome.
    giphy.gif
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I too came here to say how much I liked the new tutorial. It is very well done.
    I also am impressed how you guys managed to reuse and keep a portion of the VO done by Zachary Quinto given the fact that you're not the ship that sends a landing party to the U.S.S. Khitomer anymore. :eek: (although he still sounds more like he's doing a reading rather than acting, but VO is hard form some main stream actors.)

He is a regular hologram, not like the Doctor who was left on for a very long time and became sentient. He is supposed to sound that way.
    grabacr75 wrote: »
    and , dunno if I should say this (dont blame me now , xD) ...
    am I the only one who sees a little similitude between the new tutorial and the 1st JJ-Star Trek-movie ?
    Starfleet Academy-cadets with no experience thrown right into action and player taking control of command (like Kirk) ... or is it just me? :)

Okay, no blaming, but it was more like a combination with Starship Troopers, even uses the same name (Flores) for your best friend.