test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Facial changes?

Comments

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    colson15 wrote: »
    I don't feel the attachment to the characters that I did.
    That's entirely a personal issue and not at all a responsibility of the dev team.
  • sagison1sagison1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just to add to the chorus, I strongly dislike the way my toons look now, and I far prefer the way they were prior to the update to Season 8. Please change them back.
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Blah, blah, blah...these hips don't lie! :P
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm glad my main is a horrendously ugly green alien covered in facial protrusions.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes but I noticed my characters' faces are now different.... especially around the eyes I see it. The skin textures look more bland or something.

Has anyone else noticed this? I notice it especially on characters that have eye shadow on.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think is the lighting was somehow changed making the faces look different?

Edit 2: Alright I have screenshots to compare how horrible this actually looks in comparison.

Before:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-04-23-48.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-16-59-59.jpg~original

Can see the marked difference in this comparison-

Before:
    screenshot_2013-10-27-19-16-21.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-17-00-48.jpg~original

I urge you to click back and forth between those pictures to see just how awful it truly looks. The screens aren't even great but it's so pronounced you would have to be blind not to see it.

Thx for reporting this. I noticed it too, but I thought it was just me imagining things. :)

Speaking of faces, the devs *still* haven't fixed the missing body parts on the Rom boffs. Seriously!? New faces, a new bridge, and yet there's somehow no time for fixing something as gross as entire body parts missing!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know what I'd like? A glossiness slider for skin like we have with hair.

Look at any Star Trek movie or action scene. Those faces get oiled up. Doubly true for aliens.
    The matte look doesn't seem too odd for Vulcans and MOST humans (it's a bit glaring on bald characters because bald guys in Trek tend to have a waxy sheen) but Klingons need to look sweatier for my money. Heck, I'd say that's pretty much the one thing imperfect about the amazing Worf makeover aside from a bit of costume clipping: Worf needs to be shinier.

The other thing I'd dig would be some individual wrinkle areas that rather than being off or on, could be faded in or out with a slider for partial aging and character effects. Joe Jing had great point in that dev blog about the line under Worf's right eye.

This would be REALLY helpful for Cardassians and Ferengi who can't utilize other bas complexions but would benefit everyone.

Just something like 5-10 graphics:

- Chin cleft
    - Dimple Left
    - Dimple Right
    - Frownines
    - Cheekbones
    - Eye Line Right
    - Eye Line Left
    - Bags
    - Crow's Feet
    - Glabella Wrinkle
    - Brow Lines

Slid all the way down? Invisible.

Maybe a coarseness slider and glossyness slider for the whole complexion. And a stubble slider for men.

Also, the standard human ears in a couple of sizes. That one should be easy but I've been asking for the Picard horseshoe cut forever. He actually had a couple but the simple one would be "shaved close" with the top of the texture masked off.

I'd say the top three "Trek" details I can think of cosmetically are:

More Klingon hairstyles. More short haircuts for men. Angled sideburns (which I could see as a texture). Almost every man in Star Trek who was in Starfleet had regulation angled sideburns but nobody in STO has them. (I'd say that and lack of blinky running light under viewscreens are two quirks that get to e bcuse I know they would take people to task n the shows if they omitted blinky running lights or angled sideburns.)

This is a pipe dream but if we had a third of these, it would be amazing.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Incidentally (and it may have gotten lost in that last post), I think the old texture had more reflectiveness in the texture mask. It isn't altogether loss of detail but the light isn't glintng off the details that are there.
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Keep the hip slider please. The head size can be adjusted and the face texture definitely need to be reverted.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • sakaratchsakaratch Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You never know till you have tried!!! it's what you want see
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sakaratchsakaratch Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Keep on going never give up!!this is what you want find
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sakaratch wrote: »
    You never know till you have tried!!! it's what you want see

It's a trap.

Seriously, where are all these spambots coming from lately?
  • nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I just went to Romulus and my previous beautiful character (no, seriously, I've actually been complimented on her) is now putty.
    And so are my boffs. (Edit: my Andorian boffs actually seem to be fine, for whatever reason.)
    And the NPCs.
    This is a little bit unacceptable.
    I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
    There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
  • colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    That's entirely a personal issue and not at all a responsibility of the dev team.

Their responsibility is to make a game that we enjoy so that we play and we pay. Everyone who is complaining enjoyed their characters before the patch. If the devs changed something you gave a damn about then you'd say the same thing.

Snip Snip

I would totally be onboard with glossiness for skin, and the stubble slider would be pretty neat as well!

It's true, the old textures did have a very slight reflective/glossy quality as well that is completely gone. I really hope they are working on changing it back.
    edited November 2013
    I can totally understand why people with cat-people or alien characters will like the 'new' textures. For matte skin tones, and so on it looks fine.

On humanoid skin, it looks very off-putting and unnatural.

I can't really say it's subjective because I live on a planet full of humans and their skin doesn't do that.

Science has my back.

I am wondering what the time table for the change will be, though. Is this being scheduled to accompany any changes with the body like the legs/hips, etc as well?

Ala http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=911991&highlight=character+textures

I know these things are sort of different topics.
    edited November 2013
    I just updated my pictures on the first page and here to much larger sizes so you can see the details of this change. I also hope that it convinces the devs to a complete revert of the facial textures if they haven't already decided to and to perhaps push it up because it is a game-breaker in it's own way.

Before: http://sdrv.ms/19lJagh

After: http://sdrv.ms/1ibi6Il

Another Set

Before: http://sdrv.ms/1a6m1Ty

After: http://sdrv.ms/1ibicj6
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Did you see my screenshots I posted before?

Instead of having greenish skin it looks like my char has jaundice or some other disease of the flesh.

Jaundice is actually a byproduct of the liver and renal system, not the skin itself. but yeah.

This is bad.

I get that the overlords don't want you guys pushing things mid week for fixes unless they're game breaking but damn.

I can't look at the character models in game anymore. I've put my crew in every piece of maco, omega and, EV suit gear I have.

Just to have those faces covered.
    edited November 2013
    Lol I am familiar with jaundice. I did word that wrong.

But yes, I really hope this can be thrown up the ladder of things to fix. I too have covered everyone in hopes that no one will see the atrocious beasts underneath.

On human-color skins, it looks very splotchy on areas of the face, especially if shadows are introduced on the face, like someone with some kind of melanin disorder. Some people look orange too.
  • wparder7wparder7 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i want to play Star Trek Online,
    and im not willing to play MANGA STO!:mad:!
    looking on my toons thinking on the much work and time i spent ...
    makes me so sad that i stop playing!:(
    my playing time is reduced by 70%.
    maybe its time to look for something else (im here since launch + 1 month "")!!
    when u destroy my characters, when the looking on my chars makes me vomit...
    when i think how many money i spent...
    i become more and more sad ...... im here to have fun ^^
    :mad::mad:
    edited November 2013
    You know, the more people mention it, the more it does resemble manga. Devoid of detail.
    My characters look like mannequins..
    When are the devs going to reverse this, as was said it would be.

I haven't played Season 8 yet because of this.

I also decided NOT to buy the Vesta collection and a few packs of keys because I'm truly starting to think my time here is at an end. This isn't fun and it's ruined the game for many people.

I won't be playing until( and if) this is fixed.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I had a similar issue. Figured it was a glitch caused by the patches, since changing some of my video options corrected the issue and restored my character's face to it's previous look.
    edited November 2013
    I had a similar issue. Figured it was a glitch caused by the patches, since changing some of my video options corrected the issue and restored my character's face to it's previous look.

That is strange because the devs patched in a different texture for faces entirely.

I don't see how it is possible that you have 'restored' your characters by changing video options.

By the way, on males the texture isn't QUITE as noticeable. So I could see how maybe you think they are normal again.

They did a great thing with whatever textures they released with Legacy of Romulus.

Why, 6 months later, did they decide to replace what brilliant work was done for character facial textures with bland ones?
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The truth is the Dominion hatched a plan to turn us all into Changlings as a form of conscription.

Now we all have putty faces.

On the flip side, we can suddenly change our outfits and hair styles/colors with the push of a button. Although we could always do that. :(
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On another note, what's up with the 'racoon eyes'??
    My chars. look like cartoon toons.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited November 2013
    mm. Yeah, well I'm sure in future updates for characters, they'll just turn my Romulan girl into Clayface.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Clayface-Batman.jpg

A clay face only a mother could love.

I've got a literal "butterface" at the moment.

I honestly don't understand the crowd over at the Tribble Feedback forum that said these textures were "fine" or "better(wtlf?)" than the other ones. Alternate universe.

More pictures..

Before: http://sdrv.ms/HYY4mM
    After: http://sdrv.ms/HYYppD

In every picture I have posted, the 'After' looks like a lifeless body.
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm glad others are noticeing this issue. I was worried my computer was starting to show its age. Also my characters seem to be a bit more "jagged" around the edges along with the unacceptable facial changes. Guess it could be worse, I could have the bug thats confuseing the difference between a character and a starship.
  • nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good to hear that a fix is incomming. I do have alterted the forms of the body for most many of the characters now to somewhat what they had before. I still want the old forms back.

For those that like the new skintexture, just let it be left in, as a choice in the selection of skins. And hey! Maybe even keep this type of body as an option too? The more things to choose from, the merrier.
    edited November 2013
    nejdine wrote: »
    Good to hear that a fix is incomming. I do have alterted the forms of the body for most many of the characters now to somewhat what they had before. I still want the old forms back..

Wow. Nice.

I actually went out to buy some Play-Doh to see if I could do a better face than what I have now.

On another note, what's up with the 'racoon eyes'??
    My chars. look like cartoon toons.

It seems my character has gone from a very sensual 'smokey eye' to a varmint's variant.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2013
    Maybe this is is just me, but my Liberated Borg captain now looks like he got punched in the face several hundred times, especially around the eyes. It's kinda cool and makes him look more "zombie" ish, but I liked my old look better.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly don't get it at all.
    I LOVED the original facial textures, and everything about them.

They looked "real", pores and distinguishing highlights that made them look a little more than just a video game character.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2013
    Yeah gotta admit that my alien looks strange, not in the alien I planned way but in a whoops, we accidentally sliced half your face off and reconstructed it almost the way it was...by the way don't sweat or you will melt, way.

Also I seem to remember there were some positive responses about the changes on tribble however there was a significantly higher number getting ready to hit the uninstall button.

Fortunately I have some older screen shots of some of my characters for comparison. I must admit I am not inclined to start getting more single character poor value costumes if at the drop of a hat all my hours, yes hours, of pain staking adjustments get messed up because some other artist decides they don't like how we all look.

Also, why is it STILL only females being subjected to these changes when the male models STILL get to be Johnny Bravo. Do I really need to start pointing you to Anita Sarkeesian?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.