test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Facial changes?

colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes but I noticed my characters' faces are now different.... especially around the eyes I see it. The skin textures look more bland or something.

Has anyone else noticed this? I notice it especially on characters that have eye shadow on.

Edit : Alright I have screenshots to compare how horrible this actually looks in comparison.

Before: http://sdrv.ms/1a6m1Ty

After: http://sdrv.ms/1ibicj6

Another Set

Before: http://sdrv.ms/19lJagh

After: http://sdrv.ms/1ibi6Il

+

Before: http://sdrv.ms/HYY4mM

After: http://sdrv.ms/HYYppD

I urge you to click back and forth between those pictures to see just how awful it truly looks. The screens aren't even great but it's so pronounced you would have to be blind not to see it.

EDIT: NEW SINCE UPDATE ON DEC. 4, 2013:

I wanted to update this thread with the latest comparisons of my character from

Post-Season 7:
screenshot_2013-11-12-04-24-00.jpg?psid=1
https://wypk2g.bn1301.livefilestore.com/y2p9ylZomSq5YB0xzBiglF5GXKSwK-pGOhuRWxLhXN6Xa4Ev_P7k-xW22zO5UlLXEaMDqCvIPWBf4j_g3-2kuqGc1f4XrnwpsP8CuRvx94JBJM/screenshot_2013-11-12-04-24-00.jpg?psid=1

Season 8 Launch:
screenshot_2013-11-12-16-59-59.jpg?psid=1
https://wyqvzq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p_sY53PC5clWzMsaybBHVtIZyuaXN7gzRydO0KOQkfuG_PQApJ3OP8Uw7XTBUGEFg6mxRrafJt3WS6L_VLCmDuxPlqzMs7-YqXGJ4v2VwesA/screenshot_2013-11-12-16-59-59.jpg?psid=1

Post-Season 8 Patch:
screenshot_2013-12-13-03-12-36.jpg?psid=1
https://klt9ra.bn1301.livefilestore.com/y2py60h2M-LThd1LSJhoAN4Fa0RhZItcm-uGGTYWcPoABXoavpDwF7mKvmN_XOi63Ah8RFPOpJMdyx4rAFjmndB7Op-J50TsPRfg_RuFxRxz3c/screenshot_2013-12-13-03-12-36.jpg?psid=1

I still prefer the Season 7-onset textures, but this is LEAGUES better than what happened at S8 launch. The scale is definitely improved overall, but it does seem some reflectiveness and expression was lost throughout the whole transition still, which is unfortunate.
Post edited by colson15 on

Comments

• nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Looks like its a new skintexture for models. Hmm I prefer the look i had 6 hours ago.

Plus, i noticed that my female models legs had gone wider. I had to lessen the bulk on their legs so they didnt crash and mash together.
    Still no fix for the romulan female thigh issue with skirts, and some skirts for the other races too. Nurse and TOS skirt seem to be the only ones that does not TRIBBLE up the models legs.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They shrunk the heads to.

I am not at all ok with this, If its not broken, don't fix it.
    I spent hours getting my toons "perfect", and now it looks like I will be spending hours again rectifying the damage Cryptic has caused me.

Worse yet, some of my costumes are pretty much screwed as they use unique combinations that Cryptic have since made impossible to make. :mad:
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I personally have issue with the smooth face textures... makes it look really unnatural and.. artifical.

Other than that... the models definitelly still need some work... :(
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree. These textures look abysmal.

Cryptic, I'm not sure why you messed with this, but please change it back. All my characters look strung out, tired, way too smooth with no definition, and just horrible overall.

Who thought that this was a good design change?
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm pleased other people are mentioning this, because I thought I was imagining it.
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's a new skin texture. I mentioned how artificial and airbrushed it looked when they first announced it on Tribble and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

The main problem for me is the removal of a lot of shadowing, especially around the eyes. Most races can get this back through darker eye makeup. Trills however do not have this luxury as they currently have no access to makeup.
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've mentioned the screwed up face texture in the tribble forum feedback thread and no one seemed to mind. So i guess we're stuck with it.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Skin looks like polished clay
    edited November 2013
    daboholic wrote: »
    It's a new skin texture. I mentioned how artificial and airbrushed it looked when they first announced it on Tribble and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

The main problem for me is the removal of a lot of shadowing, especially around the eyes. Most races can get this back through darker eye makeup. Trills however do not have this luxury as they currently have no access to makeup.
    Well, the new textures look more bland, the details removed from them... I find this as a huge downgrade to facial complexion tbh. If they wanted to add new textures, they should improve them, add more details, not to take away the details, to further emphasise the clones in the game... since there are so few choices when it comes to complexion of the face.

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

edited November 2013
    Alright I have screenshots to compare how horrible this actually looks in comparison.

Before:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-04-23-48.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-16-59-59.jpg~original

Can see the marked difference in this comparison-

Before:
    screenshot_2013-10-27-19-16-21.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-17-00-48.jpg~original

I urge you to click back and forth between those pictures to see just how awful it truly looks. The screens aren't even great but it's so pronounced you would have to be blind not to see it.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Before the patch my Romulan toon had this typical teint from the Romulans seen in TNG. Now she looks like she's made of butter. Thank you Cryptic. :mad:
    edited November 2013
    Oh and now, looking at those screens I just posted, my character got wider for no apparent reason since the patch as mentioned earlier by someone else. What the literal f^*(?
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    The head size and hip width is a known issue. We have a fix that we have to make sure all is stable before checking in.

The textures look surprisingly more dramatic than expected and intended. The intended original changes were very subtle and initially got positive responses on Tribble. Possibly incorrect or WiP versions got saved instead. We will look into it and if we can't find something that overall feels better for players we will revert.
    edited November 2013
    The head size and hip width is a known issue. We have a fix that we have to make sure all is stable before checking in.

The textures look surprisingly more dramatic than expected and intended. The intended original changes were very subtle and initially got positive responses on Tribble. Possibly incorrect or WiP versions got saved instead. We will look into it and if we can't find something that overall feels better for players we will revert.

:D Thank you so much. This has me very upset. I'm glad you guys are looking into it.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    while the face/head does look different and smaller, i haven't really noticed anything that glaring with the hips, it just seems you can increase their size further than you could before.

i don't see a problem with that. :)
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this is not some lubrication to an "Anime Trek". PWE seems keen on anime type games and I pray this artistic genre stays out of STO.
    colson15 wrote: »
    Alright I have screenshots to compare how horrible this actually looks in comparison.

Before:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-04-23-48.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-16-59-59.jpg~original

Can see the marked difference in this comparison-

Before:
    screenshot_2013-10-27-19-16-21.jpg~original

After:
    screenshot_2013-11-12-17-00-48.jpg~original

LOL! Welcome to fat trek.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I personally have issue with the smooth face textures... makes it look really unnatural and.. artifical.(

Smooth as an android's bottom, eh Data?
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I'll say. The eyes and lips look better, but the nose and cheeks look..... wrong...?

Like pod people.
    edited November 2013
    I don't really see it as a step towards an anime look..thankfully.

They just look really bland and lifeless. Less detailed.

My vote is to simply revert the facial changes to what they were originally.

They looked good.

Wouldn't mind a bigger slider for hips, though.
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this is not some lubrication to an "Anime Trek". PWE seems keen on anime type games and I pray this artistic genre stays out of STO.

LOL! Welcome to fat trek.
    It kinda is anime-ish/cartoony already.. :( The exaggerated distinctivness between male & female body shapes, without ability to choose something more neutral is typical far cartoons/anime (yup, the lack of choice in body shapes is what bugs me a lot... ) kinda makes it cartoony and all that. I've wanted to make a muscular/masculine shaped woman all way, and can't. Too big bewbs, even when at the smallest slider possible and the overdone curves... Saw similar complaint of opposite side too, people wanting to make males more feminine and they can't either...

• senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Please tell me that means that the head will return to its normal pre-Season 8 scale on our toons?
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It kinda is anime-ish/cartoony already.. :( The exaggerated distinctivness between male & female body shapes, without ability to choose something more neutral is typical far cartoons/anime (yup, the lack of choice in body shapes is what bugs me a lot... ) kinda makes it cartoony and all that. I've wanted to make a muscular/masculine shaped woman all way, and can't. Too big bewbs, even when at the smallest slider possible and the overdone curves... Saw similar complaint of opposite side too, people wanting to make males more feminine and they can't either...

Yeah, the shapes were animeish, but at least we had some detail which anime seems to lack. The new textures seem cartoony.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
    edited November 2013
    I personally don't think the new eyes or lips look good at all.

The eyes looks tired, and lifeless.

The lips look smaller and less curvy to me.

It looks like textures that would have been in the game before updating them to what we used to have. Haha.

I am all for reverting to the old textures. Tried, true, and not broken at all.

And my characters didn't look like tired cocaine addicts 12 hours ago either.
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Glad to hear head sizes are getting fixed, still pretty noticeable since the move over from Tribble, though arm length also seems to need a looking at. Could ya'll take a look at that too?

I don't mind wider hips, so long as it's an extension of the hips slider so I can add on for myself.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really like the new textures (especialy for aliens), any chance we can have the new and all textures as options in the tailor?

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My vote is to simply revert the facial changes to what they were originally.

Same here.

The new ones simply don't look like my characters that I've created and played with for years now. :(

Ironically, you get a few close-ups on your characters face during the cutscenes the introduces everyone into the sphere and the adventure zone. At first I thought it might have been just the lighting, but the fears and worries were confirmed a few seconds later...

The bold part would be very much appreciated.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Please keep the hip changes, they're so much better than those stick legs from before without being horribly fat or otherwise unnecessarily freakish. Srsly we finally get some damned curves and people want it taken out crying about anime and cartoon. Ugh.

But yeah I could go either way on the face textures and head size. I don't really notice the difference with head sizes and the I neither like nor dislike the new face textures enough to care if they stay or go.
    edited November 2013
    Same here.

The new ones simply don't look like my characters that I've created and played with for years now. :(

Ironically, you get a few close-ups on your characters face during the cutscenes the introduces everyone into the sphere and the adventure zone. At first I thought it might have been just the lighting, but the fears and worries were confirmed a few seconds later...

The bold part would be very much appreciated.

This.
    I have made a connection with the characters I have played with, some for over a year.

I spent countless hours over the course of months making them look exactly the way I wanted and was very content with.

As it stands, I feel like these aren't even my characters, they don't look good to me.

As a result, not enjoying my characters is not immersing me at all, and I don't feel like playing a game in which the characters I made are no longer there, essentially.

If the old textures were never touched, I would be having a blast as my Rommie in the Dyson Sphere right now, but due to this, I am instead on the forums, imploring Cryptic to give my character's looks back to me! I agree with jexsamx about the curves, but toss the rest or give the option.

Revert these changes entirely.
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    Hips and head will be reverting as close as possible. Known issue. Fix is on its way.

Reverting face textures with *minor* improvements mostly to tone (helping to match face with other body parts). See image:

http://imgur.com/Aabixfw

NOTE!!: the fixes will not be immediate. We are locked down on importing anything for now unless it is to fix showstoppers.

Again, we know many people have spent a lot of time on their characters and don't intend to change the essence of what you've created.

cheers!
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hips and head will be reverting as close as possible. Known issue. Fix is on its way.

Reverting face textures with *minor* improvements mostly to tone (helping to match face with other body parts). See image:

http://imgur.com/Aabixfw

NOTE!!: the fixes will not be immediate. We are locked down on importing anything for now unless it is to fix showstoppers.

Again, we know many people have spent a lot of time on their characters and don't intend to change the essence of what you've created.

cheers!

Great news! Thanks!

I know it's hard when people get salty about the facials. Certainly no need to get in your face.

We appreciate the long, hard hours towards this update. It will be fun when me and my fleetmates crowd around to play this week. Thanks for letting us know what's up!