test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Facial changes?

Comments

• phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Please keep the hip changes, they're so much better than those stick legs from before without being horribly fat or otherwise unnecessarily freakish. Srsly we finally get some damned curves and people want it taken out crying about anime and cartoon. Ugh.

But yeah I could go either way on the face textures and head size. I don't really notice the difference with head sizes and the I neither like nor dislike the new face textures enough to care if they stay or go.

yup which is ironic, because the stick legs are the most unnatural thing in the game lol.

i do wish cryptic would keep the hip change but i doubt they will, its sad because all one needs to do to reverse the change is to lower the slider, all the hip change did was increase the max(and make npcs less skinny/anorexic) lol.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hips and head will be reverting as close as possible. Known issue. Fix is on its way.

Reverting face textures with *minor* improvements mostly to tone (helping to match face with other body parts). See image:

http://imgur.com/Aabixfw

NOTE!!: the fixes will not be immediate. We are locked down on importing anything for now unless it is to fix showstoppers.

Again, we know many people have spent a lot of time on their characters and don't intend to change the essence of what you've created.

cheers!

So nice to see you all put so much effort into fixing these visuals (sarcasm), yet have left pre-S7 costume bugs out of the equation for a year now with no fix. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hips and head will be reverting as close as possible. Known issue. Fix is on its way.

Reverting face textures with *minor* improvements mostly to tone (helping to match face with other body parts). See image:

NOTE!!: the fixes will not be immediate. We are locked down on importing anything for now unless it is to fix showstoppers.

Again, we know many people have spent a lot of time on their characters and don't intend to change the essence of what you've created.

cheers!

This looks much much better! Thanks so much for being accomodating and listening to the players. It's very much appreciated! Looking forward to it.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know it's hard when people get salty about the facials. Certainly no need to get in your face.

We appreciate the long, hard hours towards this update. It will be fun when me and my fleetmates crowd around to play this week. Thanks for letting us know what's up!

did you just
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013

cheers!

Actually I think the current face texture is better, the skin looks much more smoother than before.

But a fix for the too wide female hips would be awesome.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited November 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Actually I think the current face texture is better, the skin looks much more smoother than before.

But a fix for the too wide female hips would be awesome.

Did you see my screenshots I posted before?

Instead of having greenish skin it looks like my char has jaundice or some other disease of the flesh.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    colson15 wrote: »
    Did you see my screenshots I posted before?

Instead of having greenish skin it looks like my char has jaundice or some other disease of the flesh.

I checked the one Crypticjoejing put on. Also the vulcan I am on currently has a normal color.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I saw nothing wrong with the hips during all the Tribble patches. And don't see any problems with the hips in this thread, either.

All I'm reading is how the character looks from pre-patch to post-patch. What I'm not reading in this thread is what you experienced when you re-visited the Tailor? Were the sliders at all helpful in gleaning the look that you preferred?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited November 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    I saw nothing wrong with the hips during all the Tribble patches. And don't see any problems with the hips in this thread, either.

All I'm reading is how the character looks from pre-patch to post-patch. What I'm not reading in this thread is what you experienced when you re-visited the Tailor? Were the sliders at all helpful in gleaning the look that you preferred?

The hips are clearly wider at whatever setting they are on. That, I only noticed after someone mentioned it and I looked at more of my own screens to confirm. Haven't messed with the hips in the tailor at all.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    Are they reverting hips or the legs? I quite like the leg changes. Not a big fan of stick figure legs and my marauding boffs are stuck with them.

As for head size we need to have smaller size on the left of the head size for males. if you make an average normal sized male you get a big head compared to the body and it only looks right with the body sliders at mid range and head at minimal. Being forced to have body builder size for proper proportions or a big head with average build sucks.

As for female face textures... how about instead of just reverting add this as another option and revert the originals. Some may like the anime plastic face look.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, this needs to be fixed.

It looks like character faces are made of silly putty.
    edited November 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Yeah, this needs to be fixed.

It looks like character faces are made of silly putty.

Lol. exactly.

As far as the legs go, I really like the leg shape changes and I hope those can stay. It's much preferred to the old ones.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    I like the new textures.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    edit NM - no point....

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited November 2013
    I like the new textures.

Hmm. What is it that you like about them?

I am trying to figure out why someone would find these colorless, lifeless, clone-like, detail-barren alpha-textures as superior to the pre-S8 colorful, customizable, detailed, relatively realistic designs from before.

I realize that is my opinion but... it's also a fact. haha

The new facial 'textures' only seem to make everyone look less standout and more like everyone else. People don't look like that.

People in a video game shouldn't look like that either (unless the game is about junkies...or the holocaust).

They look sick.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, the new textures are horribly plastic ones. Missing the old ones we had already. There was simply much more detail in them.

Even the upcoming fix does not match them in terms of the texture depth... I don't get why people would want plastic, smooth, unnaturally looking skins, when we had nice ones before, but - if that is the case, return the old face textures for those, who liked them, but also keep the cartoony, plastic ones for those, who like them. The work has been done already, so instead of ditching it, and as such, wasting the time put into making those, let people to have more choices instead? :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited November 2013
    Yes. I can't really tell from the screen crypticjoejing posted as the fix.... from the picture it looks like a slightly altered version of what we had before. A little less texture depth?

But I am with jodarkrider - why did the change need to be made period? And why can't we either

A.) Get the textures from 24 hours ago back

or

B.) Get the option in the tailor for skin textures of our choice?

I am all for the choice. People who want the wan, dull, plastic ones, can keep them too.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,412 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like the legs of the new body, but the textures are not good at all.. Some of my best looking toons now look rather fugly... :( Why did they change it in the first place? And on-top of this they didnt bother to fix the outfits with the new bodies. There are huge gaps and seams in all my dresses. :mad:
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Hmm. What is it that you like about them?

I am trying to figure out why someone would find these colorless, lifeless, clone-like, detail-barren alpha-textures as superior to the pre-S8 colorful, customizable, detailed, relatively realistic designs from before.

I realize that is my opinion but... it's also a fact. haha

The new facial 'textures' only seem to make everyone look less standout and more like everyone else. People don't look like that.

People in a video game shouldn't look like that either (unless the game is about junkies...or the holocaust).

They look sick.

I find that the new textures look more realistic. In comparison, the old textures look more like a cartoon caricature. Alter your tailor options if it doesn't look right. I think that the new textures are an improvement.

The new textures make faces appear more realistic as opposed to every officer wearing make-up like some kind of model wannabe. IMO it gives each toon more character.

They don't look sick to me, they look normal. They look more like a normal person and less like a fictional box headed make-up wearing glamourwhore.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It now looks like my belly is hanging out of my TNG Movie uniform. :confused:
    edited November 2013
    I find that the new textures look more realistic. In comparison, the old textures look more like a cartoon caricature. Alter your tailor options if it doesn't look right. I think that the new textures are an improvement.

The new textures make faces appear more realistic as opposed to every officer wearing make-up like some kind of model wannabe. IMO it gives each toon more character.

I've been trying dearly to fix this at the tailor.

The only difference I see is less color, less texture, less realism within the framework of the game.

I'm not saying realism as in real life, but the old textures were believable in the game.

I liked the way makeup showed on the skin and the contrasts and shadows in the eyes.

If you want a plain-jane, don't put makeup on them.

None of the colors mesh or compliment. And trying to put makeup on in the tailor is like trying to put makeup on a burlap sack. I don't see how that equals more character for anyone trying to make a unique captain.
  • ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    all i can say everything looks great :D
    i have a brand new comp and wanne try again this game on max setting but it looks amazing good

screenshot_2013-11-13-06-11-07_zps866dd578.jpg

i have a fury skin XD so i dont see much difrent before and after the new update :D

but i saw i have 2 new options for my grapics its nice to

something with direct x 11 and Msdaa ore something like that

i have put both on and all works fine

btw my grapic card is a HIS Radeon R9 270X
    PCI 3.0 2Gb GDDR5 4k X 2K Ultra HD

CPU is AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0 GHZ

so yea am very happy atm and the game looks amazing ad max setting
    edited November 2013
    I've been trying dearly to fix this at the tailor.

The only difference I see is less color, less texture, less realism within the framework of the game.

I'm not saying realism as in real life, but the old textures were believable in the game.

I liked the way makeup showed on the skin and the contrasts and shadows in the eyes.

None of the colors mesh or compliment. And trying to put makeup on in the tailor is like trying to put makeup on a burlap sack. I don't see how that equals more character for anyone trying to make a unique captain.

Captains need to wear make-up like a doll? The make-up still works it's just more subtle and that, to me, makes more sense. It seems more professional and realistic, imo.

My toon is an alien and doesn't wear make-up.
    edited November 2013
    Captains need to wear make-up like a doll? The make-up still works it's just more subtle and that, to me, makes more sense. It seems more professional and realistic, imo.

No, they don't need to. Everyone should have what they like!

I didn't see anyone crusading for Cryptic to change the facial textures in the game because they looked awful before, and if someone wants more subtle makeup (which in Star Trek does make more sense), then they can use a lighter, more subtle color.

But you could do that with the old textures. Or you could do something different. With the new ones, it seems like options aren't as broad because the facial complexion is so dulled altogether.

My point is with the old textures, a much wider variety of styles was possible. With the 'new' ones, options are taken away.

That is not fun for me.
    edited November 2013
    No, they don't need to. Everyone should have what they like!

I didn't see anyone crusading for Cryptic to change the facial textures in the game because they looked awful before, and if someone wants more subtle makeup (which in Star Trek does make more sense), then they can use a lighter, more subtle color.

But you could do that with the old textures. Or you could do something different. With the new ones, it seems like options aren't as broad because the facial complexion is so dulled altogether.

My point is with the old textures, a much wider variety of styles was possible. With the 'new' ones, options are taken away.

That is not fun for me.

All of the previous options still exist. You will adapt.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ^ No. They don't. That's the whole point of this thread! If you don't notice the change, don't post here and muddle the discussion of more observant people.

I'm very glad I'm not the only one who appreciates how much the appearance of the skin texture has been degraded by this change. This patch has caused extraordinary performance problems for me, but this is by far the worst problem I've encountered. What most don't seem to remember is that the previous skin texture was introduced with Legacy several months ago. What this seems to be is a return to the pre-Legacy skin texture, or at least resembling its inferior appearance. I was overjoyed when Legacy gave us more detailed, heavily shadowed faces textures, and crushed after Sphere returned my characters to this rather strange looking plastic.

I don't know what motivated this destructive change, but I think the textures of 16 hours ago should be restored. This is not an improvement. Before this patch, a similar effect could be achieved by setting the lighting quality to 'Low'. Now I can barely tell the difference between 'Low' and 'High' because of these new textures.

Lastly, I really don't consider this a subjective issue. There are numerous screenshots from Legacy that, I think, ought clearly demonstrate to anyone that the characters looked much much better 16 hours ago. Just passers-by have noted how inferior the game now appears from a casual glance. We players ought notice this right away, given the amount of time we spend customizing our boffs. Quite frankly, it's a deal-breaker for me. STO is still an RPG, and wild aesthetic inconsistency is really intolerable.

I earnestly hope this was simply a bug. If someone could point to a release note about this, I'd appreciate it.

Didn't notice the response from the devs on page 2. Thank you. I hope you move up this fix, however, because aesthetics are very important - a showstopper in its own way. I have no desire to play characters that have radically changed in appearance.
    Greenbird
    edited November 2013
    All of the previous options still exist. You will adapt.

Cryptic came out on this thread and stated that whatever odd WIP texture made it into the game wasn't even intended to look the way it does.

I would say without hesitation that the new plasticine textures make characters look more like artificial dolls than the old did. Albeit, very hideous, wan dolls. The old textures actually made the characters look alive. Skin looked like skin. Shadows in the eye sockets and on the face looked realistic.

Admittedly, the beast races look pretty good. The humanoid-humanoids, not so much.
    edited November 2013
    ^ Awesome wall.

Right here.

Is that what it was? Legacy introduced those beautiful shadows, and complimentary colors on the face that fit the artistic style of the game so perfectly?

As I stated way earlier, this wildly aesthetic problem, as you put it, is unacceptable and has me not wanting to play because I don't feel the attachment to the characters that I did. ( I also have performance issues as you described)

And as I said before, and you stated it too:

This IS NOT subjective.

The quality of the textures has been degraded substantially. That's the way it is.

And let's hope it's completely reversed.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Given what the dev said, I don't expect it will be restored in the emergency patch a few hours from now, but maybe Thursday?
    Greenbird
    edited November 2013
    Can't say! Hopefully as soon as is possible because I'll actually want to play again if my characters are themselves.