What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #14

Comments

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ...I'm mad at the fact that Cryptic chose to put a "supposed" fleet ship into the lobi store
    It's actually better than a fleet ship. Fleet ships don't come with consoles. This one does.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    silence1311silence1311 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's actually better than a fleet ship. Fleet ships don't come with consoles. This one does.

True...last one it's pretty dang obvious. First one I want to know what you actually think it means so we can argue but understand each other. TRIBBLE the middle one...right now I'm falling asleep so I'll carry this on in the morning. PS what do we have to do to get the 500 lobi?
  • Options
    revyremirevyremi Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gutted its only a

3/3 weapon layout
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The ship looks decent being a Wedge. I will get it on my Federation, KDF and Romulan that is for sure. Since I only have the KDF carrier from the Give Away. So this will be one to add. And something to use as well.

I like the idea of a lobi mission event coming out. I plan on at least trying to do it. So I can make use of it. As right now getting it regular through the boxes isn't good for me. Since my $ is going to the store ships. Until I get the ones I want.

Glad to see the mission still going to hang around after this event. I hope to replay it after I do the Romulan Rep on my KDF and Romulan. So it will go well with the story for them. To get them started into the new Season 8.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ...I want to know what you actually think it means so we can argue but understand each other...
    I think it's totally groovy that Cryptic is giving away another FREE ship. I think it's equally groovy that they have found a way to profit off of people who appear to me to want "The Best" (Pride, Envy) but are Impatient, Greedy, and/or Unwilling to put in lots of effort (Sloth).

That's amazing marketing. They're a business and I applaud their ability to profit via player vice.

Muahahaha! :P

Yes, yes, they could put it in the Cryptic Store. And they do put things in the C-Store. But they also have the Lobi store, and Lockboxes, and items that require Dilithium. This is their model. They rotate through the different ways to make money because they realize they make more profit that way. For people who play this game, why wouldn't you want Cryptic to stay open and make money?

Further, I don't get how a person can claim they have a life and yet be mad about a game.

Finally, I'm amused (and somewhat bemused) by the fact that it's REALLY ALL FREE! And so many people just don't grok that.

:cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Am I the only one who is reminded of the Ori ships from Stargate SG-1 for the design of the ship? Not identical by a long shot, but some design cues, like the white structure and open center, plus a mission dealing with gates including a super-sized one, plus a large beam weapon special retaliation.

It's nice getting free loot, and a bit interesting to see a set that buffs Anti-Proton along with a large-ship compatible true 360 degree beam array. I'll need to grab the core and more AP beam arrays give it a proper shake down.

500 Lobi episode replay should be interesting, now to figure out which alts need what Lobi consoles.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    revyremi wrote: »
    gutted its only a

3/3 weapon layout

Standard full carrier layout, however, the 12 Swarmers you can launch helps make up for it ;) They are quite deadly, especially the Elites.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can you read? When did I say I WANT NOW? Please quote that imaginary quote because I'd love to see it.

You nitpicking sarcasm after the no-life comments is ridiculous. Grow up.

It is not an endless grind. It is not limited to those without a life. It'll take awhile, but it isn't something you can't wait for anyway. It isn't something you have to have anyway, the advance version only adds a different ability, not something that gives an advantage. /facepalm

Never mind, not going to bother, you aren't worth it. Again the amount of entitlement to some of the complaints never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love the two piece set bonus - cuz I run antiproton beams on the Fleet Avenger.

The warp core from the FE gives me an excuse to not buy an Elite Fleet Warp Core now.
    And running both the Kinetic Cutting Beam & the Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam in the aft weapons slot means I have 7 weapons targeting an enemy when facing them.

Yes, Cryptic needs to make money- but they are giving away free items. I am fine with their business model cuz I just grinded 400k of dilithium on 4 toons and got zen to buy keys. And spent no hard cash. Or I can just use my card to get zen. Either way, the only thing you need to do is spend time- either grinding and paying nothing or paying and adjusting your builds for your new toys.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is reminded of the Ori ships from Stargate SG-1 for the design of the ship? Not identical by a long shot, but some design cues, like the white structure and open center, plus a mission dealing with gates including a super-sized one, plus a large beam weapon special retaliation.

This hadn't immediately occurred to me, but I can see what you mean after you reminded me of the Ori.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    At least for players with tons of alts, they only have to run the mission twice per alt for the Beam Array and Warp Core. Looks like a cool ship.

You get both items as rewards, along with ship, when you complete the mission on each toon. No need for reruns.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, now fleet versions are going to be on loby store? Good move cryptic, good move..

So, the free set, can only be obtained if you have 800 lobis.

This is not the Fleet version, just the standard Lobi RA ship like the Tholian and JH Dred Carriers.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let me get this all sorted out.

We get a carrier that will be a moderate tank, still can support its fighters and will rely on the fighters for damage. Will be fun to try that one out. The bad design part of the carrier is the dual cannons with only 5 turn rate. That's the Vo'Quv mistake all over again.

The mission rewards 2 out of 3 pieces of a set. The third piece comes with a ship that is a good carrier, but not superior to a Tholian Recluse or a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought.

The Lobi version is essentially a combination of a lobi console and a fleet version.

Most of the complaints are about the 3rd piece being locked behind lobi's. My suggested fix: let the Advanced version be the Fleet Version, and lock the 3rd piece behind 200 lobi's, like other consoles.

Lets look at the other 2 pieces.
    ANTIPROTON 360 beam array. Well that ain't gonna blend too well with the most common plasma/tetryon builds. I know, Antiproton rep gear is coming. But Antiproton is essentially a [CrtD] mod on your gun. So you're gonna loose a special proc.

The Warp Core. Usable on any possible Warp Core ship. Well that's a bummer to the Rommies. They didn't get cruiser commands, which is fair and finally equaled Fed/KDF cruisers to Rommie cruisers, but now the other factions are passing by the Romulans. No Singularity version as a possible mission reward? Please?

Did I miss anything?
  • Options
    kirahitomikirahitomi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So your Featured Episode, you know the one that was supposed to start the 31st, the one thats even stated in Dev blogs is supposed to start the 31st? Its live, we're running the hell out of it right now, just an FYI...

Obelisk is very nice btw, hope you guys aren't breaking any agreements releasing content early.
    "Lets see what this button does..."
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Let me get this all sorted out.

We get a carrier that will be a moderate tank, still can support its fighters and will rely on the fighters for damage. Will be fun to try that one out. The bad design part of the carrier is the dual cannons with only 5 turn rate. That's the Vo'Quv mistake all over again.

The mission rewards 2 out of 3 pieces of a set. The third piece comes with a ship that is a good carrier, but not superior to a Tholian Recluse or a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought.

The Lobi version is essentially a combination of a lobi console and a fleet version.

Most of the complaints are about the 3rd piece being locked behind lobi's. My suggested fix: let the Advanced version be the Fleet Version, and lock the 3rd piece behind 200 lobi's, like other consoles.

Very much agreed on your suggested fix. Advanced version should definitely be a fleet version while the console should be at most 200 lobi. The cost of 800 lobi is prohibitive for completing an alien set for a ship that isn't even better than the recluse or dreadnaught.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    The episode seems to imply it's built by the Solanae, which is the name STO has given the aliens from the TNG episode Schisms (so they aren't the same as the Elachi, but there's a reason they do some of the same things and use some of the same technologies), but that the Solanae and Elachi got their technology from the Iconians, so it might all be academic anyway.

I was surprised the ship didn't use jacketed beams of tetryons and antiprotons, in the same way that the Delta Rana warship used jacketed beams of antiprotons and positrons as its main weapon.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    I knew it...a better 2 hangar carrier than the mirror voquv as I called it

...guess the kdf lost yet another unique ship type to the feds...

..even so, it'll be a nice ship to fly on my tac cat who has yet to get a ship (I only recently paid up for elite bops so I refuse to switch)

Funny I don't recall this ship saying it was for fed players only....hmmmm :rolleyes:

It is still bullocks Brandon. You guys need to decide on ONE monitization strategy. Not, Lobi, Dilithium, and Zen. This triple dipping and incessant grinding is going to cut this game's lifespan way short and cut any long-term profit. As usual, good idea/design, poor execution - that appears to be the mantra.
    Couldn't agree more.

burstorion wrote: »
    ..too many fleet modules on the market perhaps? fleet modules translate to ec to buy other things, whereas lobi does not have such a function thus, as you can only get lobi via lockboxes, means more zen transactions/players dilithium supluses being depleted to buy zen

I think you missed this....
    Thanks for the feedback, Captains. I will be sure to pass it along as it is important to us. I did want to add a side-note that's not listed in the blog: Our upcoming FE replay event is introducing a new way to earn Lobi, and if my calculations are correct, you should be able to earn over 500 Lobi Crystals from the event if you play daily. More details on that will be posted tomorrow.

That won't get you to 800, but it will help :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon why not just cut all us loyal players a break and give us 800 instead of 500. you know creating balance, something this game never has enough of. I'm happy the lobi wall is cracking, but I want it torn asunder, getting any form of currency in this game requires WAY to much freaking work. I do like the new shippie though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    nice ship, but full carriers need frigates. Fighters don't cut it with the new mechanic.

But MAN, if i could port ANY of my frigates to it, I would never leave that ship.

Those fighters really cut Breen apart, 12 beam overloads is nasty.

By the way, Cryptic finally managed to do one thing. This is the first ship I built without torpedo launchers. Why? Because they fire out of the sides and then forwards or backwards. Who had that brilliant idea? If they come out of the sides, they should be able to hit enemies there. Well, now I have a refracting Tetryon build with Tholian web mines. I can barely use them, because the swarmers wreck everything before I'm near enough to drop them. But I really don't need the Obelisk set. Should I go crazy I'm going to get the ship of the exchange, but even then the console would probably go to the bank.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, Captains. I will be sure to pass it along as it is important to us. I did want to add a side-note that's not listed in the blog: Our upcoming FE replay event is introducing a new way to earn Lobi, and if my calculations are correct, you should be able to earn over 500 Lobi Crystals from the event if you play daily. More details on that will be posted tomorrow.

That won't get you to 800, but it will help :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Just a heads-up but unless it's been changed, the details are already available from the in-game Calender;
    Featured Episode Replay Event

Bonus! Earn 15 Lobi each day for the first Featured Episode you replay! Note: this is per account, not per character

I'm hoping this refers to any Featured Episode mission, and not an entire FE itself, since it only applies to Spectres, The 2800, Cold War and Cloaked Intentions, according to the Calendar. And like hell am I doing Boldly They Rode or Cutting The Cord every day for a month.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the general idea of the ship is good, but I really am not digging all of the negative space. So many holes going through the ship (for me) makes it feel less like a star ship. I realize that it is big but the black webbing between the main hull and nacelles just doesnt do it for me. If we could remove the nacelles that would be awesome, and fill in the webbing so its just a single sheet I would also consider that a good option to have.

thank you,
    Seacat
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    You get both items as rewards, along with ship, when you complete the mission on each toon. No need for reruns.

Nope. The game makes you choose between the Warp-core and the Omni-directional beam. So you have to re-run it for one of them.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Standard full carrier layout, however, the 12 Swarmers you can launch helps make up for it ;) They are quite deadly, especially the Elites.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well except for the Jem Dreadnaught, and the Kar'Fi so what you mean is like all the science focused ones you already put out ? Great, except this isnt a science focus.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski reveals details about the Obelisk Carrier in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

pwebranflakes is it a good idea for a game company to partner with companies that put viruses on your computer? Because apparently the person below thinks that's what you do.
    johngazman wrote: »
    Have fun scrubbing the viruses off your computer.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    huskerklg wrote: »
    pwebranflakes is it a good idea for a game company to partner with companies that put viruses on your computer? Because apparently the person below thinks that's what you do.

Several people have reported getting viruses from some of the offers. Hence why i'm not in any hurry to use them. I was just passing on a friendly warning about those "free" Zen offers.
    Just a warning to all players out there getting free zen from the "Completing Free Offers for Zen" system. When there are offers that require you to download something, don't do it >.<'
    I tried doing one of them (the one where you download "Xvid" player to "download free movies") and I got a virus...and I searched up the one on FLV Blaster (where you download music and videos for free), and apparently the player gives out viruses too, I haven't tried it though but I really don't want to risk it

Source; http://eso-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?290201-Slight-Issue-with-Free-Zen-Offers

Also here; http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=378241
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    May I make the suggestion as well of either dropping the price of the Lobi version to 500, give us 800 lobi for the mission, or make the console a 200 Lobi buy?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    May I make the suggestion as well of either dropping the price of the Lobi version to 500, give us 800 lobi for the mission, or make the console a 200 Lobi buy?
    How about this can get both for 800 lobi or console for 300 and ship for 600. I think that sound fair .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I wish for is a 4th forward weapon slot (on the regular version). I'm going to hold my breath until I get one on this sexy ship. :D
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Caitian Atrox Carrier
    *4 bridge officer stations
    *4 science consoles

Vo'quv Carrier
    *4 bridge officer stations
    *4 science consoles

Obilesk
    *5 bridge officer stations
    *4 engineering consoles

There are 2 other full carriers (im excluding fleet and mirror versions) that all have 5 boff stations, 4 engineering consoles, and 3 or less science consoles (with an exception in there).

The exception is the Kar'Fi Battle carrier which has 4 fore weapons and does not come with the subsystem targeting, and has 4 sci and 2 eng consoles and 5 boff stations.

So really the only thing "standard" about carriers is that they all have 2 hangar bays.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I think it would have been interesting if we could use the 4/4/2/2 Boff layout. It would have added a new degree of customization for ship captains with those stations.