Options

Server Not Responding Oh My!

2»

Comments

• Options
    neonevangelionneonevangelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's on Cryptic's side. Wanna know why?

Too many players, different countries, complaining about the same issue. People who were playin just nice before last patch or a couple days ago. I suspect that it has something to do with the S8 being slaped into Tribble, they must be testing it hard and maybe some hardware got assigned for that..

Go check other Cryptic's MMOs, like Neverwinter. Issues there too.

And right now, impossible to do anything ingame, just gave up after 1h of constant DCs and server not responding timeouts.
  • Options
    kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Unprofessional response, many players are having issues, including me, and I am a professional computer engineer. There is a delay in response time from the Cryptic servers. There is also something in the STO code that causes the CPU to spike upon accessing sound and texture files. My disk is not overused, and my bandwidth is very underused. I have plenty of CPU threads, RAM, and HD space available. Only Cryptic can fix the system. If Cryptic is leveraging IE in the game itself, not just the launcher, they need to tell us.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kpg1usa wrote: »
    Unprofessional response, many players are having issues, including me, and I am a professional computer engineer. There is a delay in response time from the Cryptic servers. There is also something in the STO code that causes the CPU to spike upon accessing sound and texture files. My disk is not overused, and my bandwidth is very underused. I have plenty of CPU threads, RAM, and HD space available. Only Cryptic can fix the system. If Cryptic is leveraging IE in the game itself, not just the launcher, they need to tell us.

But disk, CPU usage and local connection bandwidth are completely different issues from ISP bandwidth to the STO servers. You have no real proof that the STO servers are the cause of your delay and not network congestion on the path to the STO servers.

The way to tell if its a ISP connection issue is to start running some of the network diagnostic utilities, such as the 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' utilities described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

and post the results for knowledgeable people to take a look at...
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    But disk, CPU usage and local connection bandwidth are completely different issues from ISP bandwidth to the STO servers. You have no real proof that the STO servers are the cause of your delay and not network congestion on the path to the STO servers.

Zactly.

And 1 white Raven proves the existence of white Ravens. Aka: if even 1 person has a normal connection, it's not on PWE's end. I am that 1 white Raven. :P Actually, I think there are many people like me who experience no issue at all (at least not with connectivity).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My husband and I are getting "Server not responding" about every 5 minutes or so now. Getting a bit on the ridiculous side. It is also happening to a few members of our fleet. I highly doubt it is related to our connections.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    My husband and I are getting "Server not responding" about every 5 minutes or so now. Getting a bit on the ridiculous side. It is also happening to a few members of our fleet. I highly doubt it is related to our connections.

If its not related to your connections, then how do explain the numerous players who can play STO trouble free.... no problems this evening with the connection... (but entered a CE Elite event, and upon arrival, got one-shot killed by the CE camping the spawn site...)
  • Options
    neonevangelionneonevangelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If its not related to your connections, then how do explain the numerous players who can play STO trouble free.... no problems this evening with the connection... (but entered a CE Elite event, and upon arrival, got one-shot killed by the CE camping the spawn site...)

Every other MMO i play and every site I enter works fine. Just Cryptic stuff that isnt working as expected (STO, Neverwinter).

Please learn how networks operate before saying something that stupid. There are things called ROUTES. Not everyone uses the same routes to land on STO. The tracer tests hint that.. people on certain areas (NODs) and specific Cryptic route servers/intermediary servers are indeed with problems (anything higher than 30ms for a tracer test suggests problems). One thing is for sure: its not on client (customer) side.
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Networking, routers, you name it, all very localized around where ever sto's server is :)
  • Options
    relizarrarasrelizarraras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm getting disconnected more often as time goes by. Used to happen once or twice a week.
    Today it happened five times in one gaming session. I get the "server not responding", mostly on map changes, after 10 seconds the game disconnects.
    Now I even have to exit the game completely and restart the launcher, or I get stuck on the connecting to server.
    Rubberbanding has been increasing also.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2013
    Actually, streaming video has been increasing greatly for the past 2 years. Its now reported that Netflix, during prime time hours, is taking up over 2/3 of the total bandwidth of US networks. It could just be that only recently, has it increased enough to start effecting your network performance on your local network...

So my internet connection that has low ping to AU and GB, 60 meg down and 5 up with 0 packet loss out of 10 tests all across the world and thats my internet that is at fault? I really do not think so buddy. No my network runs fine at any hour day or night unless they are doing maintenance. Just because you are not affected does not mean other are at fault. Mine started after the patch 2 weeks ago and nothing on my side has changed in over a month.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just been disconnected from STF twice in a row. Gonna have to give up on this game today, just like I had to yesterday.

Every time this happens, I come here to see if there's a thread, and lo and behold, there always is one. Guess it's not just me.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just been disconnected from STF twice in a row. Gonna have to give up on this game today, just like I had to yesterday.

Every time this happens, I come here to see if there's a thread, and lo and behold, there always is one. Guess it's not just me.
    There's always GTA 5. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    pwetacodeathpwetacodeath Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    All I can say is: WOW, getting disconnected every 3-5 minutes. That is a new one.
    All these issues started on their last Maintenance/Update/Patch.

Never had any problems like this before, even when LoR went live (unless you count that first day fiasco).
    I am not a Mod. I am just a player. You have been informed :cool:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    Ah, in the last hour i have gotten and kicked from the server, twice and in trying to login from the login screen, it takes about 5mins to getting back in and once i try and choose a character to play, it wont give me the "Play". It would seem since the maintenance or whatever it was, has made things worse in the last couple of days.

Heh think thats bad well do ya ...PUNK!! ( ok im not clint eastwood :D )

Well i found something that will cause much pain something that made this very forum burn with the rage of a thousand nerds...what am i talking about..the launch of LoR of course.

http://i.imgur.com/TiguXg7.jpg

Ah memory lane was digging around to find a server not responding pic but ran into that

Yes yes i know im so very wrong for reminding everyone about such a terrible time but HEY..im a romulan im supposed to make you miserable :D

all joking aside id rather have server not responding then sit in a login queue for 4 frakking hours
  • Options
    pwetacodeathpwetacodeath Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just delete this
    I am not a Mod. I am just a player. You have been informed :cool:
  • Options
    guard41guard41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yeah its still messing up! I get a lot of lag whenever I zone and just now it would not let me change characters or even log out, I had to tab out and close the program just to load it back up to select a different character!
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Heh think thats bad well do ya ...PUNK!! ( ok im not clint eastwood :D )

Well i found something that will cause much pain something that made this very forum burn with the rage of a thousand nerds...what am i talking about..the launch of LoR of course.

http://i.imgur.com/TiguXg7.jpg

Ah memory lane was digging around to find a server not responding pic but ran into that

Yes yes i know im so very wrong for reminding everyone about such a terrible time but HEY..im a romulan im supposed to make you miserable :D

all joking aside id rather have server not responding then sit in a login queue for 4 frakking hours

That is insane, ive never seen that before. I had seen the wait to getting when LOR released but i waited a week to allow the entire community to settle down. That and i didn't have time to play. I didn't start the thread to simply complain, that doesn't help but to help inform or perhaps others are seeing the same-thing.
    guard41 wrote: »
    yeah its still messing up! I get a lot of lag whenever I zone and just now it would not let me change characters or even log out, I had to tab out and close the program just to load it back up to select a different character!

It happened yesterday and today when i was switching characters, perhaps that is the problem but ive gotten otherwise while moving maps.
    All I can say is: WOW, getting disconnected every 3-5 minutes. That is a new one.
    All these issues started on their last Maintenance/Update/Patch.

Never had any problems like this before, even when LoR went live (unless you count that first day fiasco).

Well, some of us have issues and others done, but i have 50meg up and down so i should have no problems and i need to say that this is the only game i get these disconnections so i know it is not on my side as it is on the cryptic server side.
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Some people blame the disconnects on servers, some blame it on isp's some try to shift it somehere else.

But if it was my ISP, Settings, or Hardware, switching toons wouldn't fix squat. But switching toons(which all their settings are identical) no more server issues magically. Switch back to previous toon, boom, disconnect.....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Some people blame the disconnects on servers, some blame it on isp's some try to shift it somehere else.

But if it was my ISP, Settings, or Hardware, switching toons wouldn't fix squat. But switching toons(which all their settings are identical) no more server issues magically. Switch back to previous toon, boom, disconnect.....

Indeed.I ALWAYS get dropped out beaming to ESD, DS9, New Romulus and Qonos. ALWAYS. doesn't happen anywhere else, and god forbid I should try to load a toon already on those places.

I don't get dropped from other websites, or my downloads don't stop, streaming media.. ONLY STO in those places. The problems have been reported enough times and we all know where they exist but nothing ever actually gets done about them. General Server Stability my ......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I realize that ppl do indeed blame the disconnection on servers to other things but something is going on somewhere and it becomes tiring and prevents you from doing certain things in the game. I dont think anyone per se wishes to really blame, it is more less trying to find a solution or a common theme of what the problem is.
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Indeed.I ALWAYS get dropped out beaming to ESD, DS9, New Romulus and Qonos. ALWAYS. doesn't happen anywhere else, and god forbid I should try to load a toon already on those places.

I don't get dropped from other websites, or my downloads don't stop, streaming media.. ONLY STO in those places. The problems have been reported enough times and we all know where they exist but nothing ever actually gets done about them. General Server Stability my ......

I haven't seen that one in a long time, when that happened, i started to beam down to the academy as it wouldn't drop, but going to ESD it did.
  • Options
    sasdeansasdean Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So far I've tried to engage tech support to correct this problem without success. I've provided them information requested information and have tried all their suggested fixes to no avail. I took my computer back to factory settings where I know the game worked without a hiccup before the last patch after "Hearts and Minds." I'm still getting the "server not responding" lag despite that effort. The game is no longer viable with the "server not responding." I am certain it is not my ISP because items requiring more data than STO are working at optimum levels. Will someone from Cryptic/PWE address this issue? Is there a telephone number at Cryptic/PWE for customer service? I really am getting the notion that correcting these problems is not a priority.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sasdean wrote: »
    ... I am certain it is not my ISP because items requiring more data than STO are working at optimum levels. Will someone from Cryptic/PWE address this issue? Is there a telephone number at Cryptic/PWE for customer service? I really am getting the notion that correcting these problems is not a priority.

Unless these 'items' are located in the same physical location as the STO severs, this observation has no bearing on your performance issues, as different locations on the Internet will have different performance metrics.

And if you want a comment from Cryptic/PWE, then you should be posting this on the PWE Tech Support Forum, as this Forum is strickly for 'peer to peer' support...

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/
  • Options
    sasdeansasdean Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you had read the first sentence of my post you would have read that I tried tech support without success. Hence I came here for assistance and the possibility that devs or community managers may have read my posting.

If you have something truly helpful to suggest, please feel free.