test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Server Not Responding Oh My!

Ah, in the last hour i have gotten and kicked from the server, twice and in trying to login from the login screen, it takes about 5mins to getting back in and once i try and choose a character to play, it wont give me the "Play". It would seem since the maintenance or whatever it was, has made things worse in the last couple of days.
Post edited by vfpfyasko1 on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Server Not Responding is not always due to Cryptic's Servers, but could be a problem with your connection or a connection between you and Cryptic's Servers. Not saying this is the case, but it is always a possibility.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Had the same issue twice in the last hour to. :(
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I and a number of my fleet mates have also experienced this.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2013
    It has been happening allot the past 2 weeks.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Server stability and crashing issues have been a major complaint since LOR was released

I cant believe that after four months they still havent hashed out the problems.

pre-LOR i never once crashed to desktop or experienced server disconnects

now I see them 3-5 times a day.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Server stability and crashing issues have been a major complaint since LOR was released

I cant believe that after four months they still havent hashed out the problems.

pre-LOR i never once crashed to desktop or experienced server disconnects

now I see them 3-5 times a day.

What problems??? I haven't had any real issues connecting to the STO servers from the Silicon Valley. So this sounds more like a networking/ISP issue that your suffering from.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've been kicked 3 times in the past hour.
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How is that possible? We've had a server maintenance... oh wait...
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's actually a topic about this in the Networking issues section.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The way server service SHOULD work is:

At the instant a slow down is detected, all non subscriber accounts begin to disconnect by seniority while boosting all subscriber accounts until the slow down is corrected.

There is NO reason that a subscriber should ever be disconnected while an F2P account is still live.

It's called "Good Business Practices."
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Server Not Responding is not always due to Cryptic's Servers, but could be a problem with your connection or a connection between you and Cryptic's Servers. Not saying this is the case, but it is always a possibility.

Its the severs... I have perfect connection in all online games... no lag but when I play this game .. The severs do stop and I get booted... While I am still on the internet .. Some games have good severs some don't... :(.Not saying its bad game it just most cases it happened.
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

At the instant a slow down is detected, all non subscriber accounts begin to disconnect by seniority while boosting all subscriber accounts until the slow down is corrected.

There is NO reason that a subscriber should ever be disconnected while an F2P account is still live.

You're assuming a subscriber always pays more money per month than a f2p person. This is not always the case so this criteria you've stated cannot be followed.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Rofl so you want good Connection because you pay what makes you so special rofl.. Don't act like your better then every one because you pay...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Anyone with a Gold acount should be treated better than the freepers, sorry that's just how it is in the RW. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Anyone with a Gold acount should be treated better than the freepers, sorry that's just how it is in the RW. You get what you pay for.

But you hear of f2pers that have paid more than some golds. Assuming they're telling the truth do you still hold golds over these people?

That seems silly to me.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As long as there are Gold accounts there should be preferential treatment.

It's how the world works.
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As long as there are Gold accounts there should be preferential treatment.

It's how the world works.

I believe your signature would work well in this situation
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    goku5030 wrote: »
    Rofl so you want good Connection because you pay what makes you so special rofl.. Don't act like your better then every one because you pay...

Funny how free-loaders always try and turn this into a 'holier-than-thou' argument. He's right, you know: people who actually pay for a service should always get priority. If you wanna test out this simple, no-brainer truth, visit your local bakery, and you'll see the ones who actually, you know, *pay* for their loafs of bread get priority over the bum outside, hoping for left-over scraps.

Should be no different for an MMO: ppl who pay get a priority connection. The freeloaders will also be accomodated, given enough space: but when server bandwidth is low, it makes perfect sense to having paying customers be served first. I don't think that's actually happening already, but it would makes perfect sense if it did.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    But you hear of f2pers that have paid more than some golds. Assuming they're telling the truth do you still hold golds over these people?

That seems silly to me.
    nagrom7 wrote: »
    I believe your signature would work well in this situation

Tell you what:

Cryptic can refund ALL of my subscription and I'll be a freeper and use all of that money to just buy some C-Store stuff now and then...

Or

They can give Gold Subscribers preferential treatment seeing they are paying for it.

For the record I've bought tons of C-Store stuff over the years along with my Subscription to support the game and I've been here since Beta.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Tell you what:

Cryptic can refund ALL of my subscription and I'll be a freeper and use all of that money to just buy some C-Store stuff now and then...

Or

They can give Gold Subscribers preferential treatment seeing they are paying for it.

For the record I've bought tons of C-Store stuff over the years along with my Subscription to support the game and I've been here since Beta.

You may be missing the point of my comments. You're using the same brush for all f2pers. This would be a mistake.

There will be people who have never put any money into a subscription yet have paid more money overall than some golds. You shouldn't treat these f2pers the same as ones who have paid little to nothing.

What you need is some kind of system where preferential treatment is given by the amount of money given to Cryptic and I don't see this system being implemented (assuming it can at all).

Btw I am not one of the f2pers who has poured hundreds or thousands of pounds into this game, everything I have was via dilithium.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    My point is that there are different Subscription levels for different "payment" plans.

As such they should be used logically.

A Gold subscription guaranteeing at least a months pay should take precedent over an F2P account that doesn't have to spend a dime.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Should be no different for an MMO: ppl who pay get a priority connection. The freeloaders will also be accomodated, given enough space: but when server bandwidth is low, it makes perfect sense to having paying customers be served first. I don't think that's actually happening already, but it would makes perfect sense if it did.

Actually, Cryptic/PWE already do this with Gold Accounts and the login queues, but this is only a issue during major events, such as the start of a new season, or a new featured episode series...

Don't confuse server bandwidth with network bandwidth. Most of the problems people are experiencing in this thread are network bandwidth related. And Cryptic/PWE are not responsible for, and can't do anything about, issues that are being caused by the ISP...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The issue we are getting with server not responding has nothing to do with how many are in the game but an issue inside the crypic network, somewhere along the way packets are being lost. If it had to do with how many people were playing then it would happen more oftenm when more are playing and it doesnt. It also happens when there are fewer playing like late wednsday night when I got timed out 3 times in a row.

As for preferential treatment for subscribers, well thats a given and they already have that when there is a queue to play. gold gets to the front of the queue. As for non subscribers Cryptic should have 2 tiers, bronze and silver. bronze has never paid anything and silvers have bought zen. Once you buy zen your bronze acount gets upgraded to silver. Bronze players get put at the end of the queue and silvers between bronze and gold.

They could also add an account perk that silvers get and gold gets it doubled, maybe a DOFF storage and a pet storage. Silver would get 10 slots of each and gold would get 20. Both can be upgraded 5 times maybe. Bronze can buy 10 slots only by buying 1 upgrade but the upgrade then becomes unavailable until they pull out the credit card.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The issue we are getting with server not responding has nothing to do with how many are in the game but an issue inside the crypic network, somewhere along the way packets are being lost. If it had to do with how many people were playing then it would happen more oftenm when more are playing and it doesnt. It also happens when there are fewer playing like late wednsday night when I got timed out 3 times in a row.

Though the problem is most likely not in Cryptic's network, which is from their firewall to the units that are actually hosting STO, and anything outside of that belongs to some other company. The problem is more likely to be occurring along the Internet backbone providers, which are already suffering from the strain of increased streaming video usage, and their is still the known 'business' issue concerning Verizon networks, which include several European carriers, and Cogent Communications, which has yet to be resolved...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I doubt streaming video increased 2 patches ago wich is when the issue began after a couple months of relative stability in comparison. The other day when Tacofangs was at ESD all of instance 5 recieved a timeout so it is not just me when a whole zone gets cleared.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    I doubt streaming video increased 2 patches ago wich is when the issue began after a couple months of relative stability in comparison. The other day when Tacofangs was at ESD all of instance 5 recieved a timeout so it is not just me when a whole zone gets cleared.

Actually, streaming video has been increasing greatly for the past 2 years. Its now reported that Netflix, during prime time hours, is taking up over 2/3 of the total bandwidth of US networks. It could just be that only recently, has it increased enough to start effecting your network performance on your local network...
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is always amusing to hear people state, oh go check your connection and speed, it has to be on your side. Ah, Cryptic needs better engineers to figure out what is going on in regards to the packet loss that is happen and as a result are becoming disconnected. I dont have the problems in other MMO's that i play, that i have in regards to STO. Since LOR so many issues have occurred, they need to fix the bugs which many have been complaining about. I even left for a good 6months as a result of the problems and while are not as much a problem, it becomes an issue when you have certain STF's that you need to have perfect streams or you could run into problems as a result, iam talking about ground here, not space.

Cheers,

F
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/c/c4/Kirk_you-must-be-new-here.png
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    It is always amusing to hear people state, oh go check your connection and speed, it has to be on your side. Ah, Cryptic needs better engineers to figure out what is going on in regards to the packet loss that is happen and as a result are becoming disconnected. I dont have the problems in other MMO's that i play, that i have in regards to STO. Since LOR so many issues have occurred, they need to fix the bugs which many have been complaining about. I even left for a good 6months as a result of the problems and while are not as much a problem, it becomes an issue when you have certain STF's that you need to have perfect streams or you could run into problems as a result, iam talking about ground here, not space.

Cheers,

F

Oh go check your connection and speed, it has to be on your side! :P

Seriously. I *never* have an issue with it. And yes, that means it's just you, as others can, apparently, get a perfectly normal bandwidth. I like to blame Cryptic of a lot of things, but this one is on yourself, really.

Most common cause: you installed too much crappy sh*t, making your OS (and the workings of your programs) compromised. Aka, stop installing all these TRIBBLE.exe files, and STO will keep running just fine. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg