test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic greed wins over out over a good game. Again.

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    During my Computer Programming classes during High School, this proved how annoying bug crushing can be. This is going through about 100 lines of code to track down where the problem is and it might be due to just one character being where it shouldn't be. Considering that Cryptic has millions of lines of code, then it makes the problem more challenging. Cryptic has a bug list somewhere and has prioritized each bug. A bug that harms game immersion for one person is not as important as a bug that prevents hundreds of people logging in.
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I believe the only reason so many "big" threads/ rants exists is because their is no competition. If CBS licensed another Stark Trek MMO, then Cryptic would have no choice but to get their act together or loose thousands of players to the other Stark Trek game.

Therefore because they is no "other" Star Trek game, they can do this. But mark my words,...every other "space game" is scared/ impressed of (and by) Star Citizen (Google it if you haven't heard about it).

Lastly, I am a Gold member that wishes Cryptic would make some improvements. I see this game has great potential, but at times all I do is shake my head at how they go about things. As mentioned before, getting new players seems to be more lucrative than retaining their current player base.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While the OP was clearly ranting, his/her post does bring up an interesting thought. Cryptic has a bad habit of ignoring these issues UNLESS it's regarded as "currency" earning "exploit". Then they stumble over each other (figuratively speaking) to fix these problems. In other words, anything that speeds up the grind. The only real game play related exploit that was fixed recently involved the Elachi hand cannon.

This is a Morton's Fork. Cryptic clearly do fix bugs that are game play issues as they fixed the Hand Cannon as you say in your post. This wasn't based on a "currency earning exploit" but as a reaction to fixing a certain piece of faulty coding.
    They also fix general server stability issues that we don't see or hear about because we aren't the techs dealing with it or weren't really affected by it in the first place.

And I don't think is has anything to do with how obvious a bug is, or how easy it is to dig through the code, find it, and fix it. I may be wrong. But that is just how I see it based on an odd coincidence.

If you don't have any evidence one way or the other except anecdotal hyperbole, it is better to give the benefit of the doubt and not rely on specious conspiracy theories and sweeping statements.

Let it be known that I support fixing things that are broken with the game. But I think that the devs priorities are a little slanted. Similar consideration should be given to everything that makes the game not run right. That's how I see it. And from my end, that's what I see not getting done, for whatever reason.
    What you see as a priority other people (including the bug team) see as a minor annoyance at best. Generic sweeping statements about a "buggy" game help no one and they certainly don't get "bugs" fixed.

It's like going into a hospital ED with a broken arm, you will wait longer than someone who isn't breathing. Fact. That isn't to say that your broken arm isn't serious and that nothing will be done about it, but there is a clinical need to help the person not breathing first.

But people will still complain that they aren't being seen quick enough and they are being ignored, even when in some cases you can see the doctors and nurses doing CPR in the hallway. Which is precisely what the OP is doing.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Something that breaks gameplay? "Well get to it."
    Something that effects experience? "We'll think on it."

Something that *might* effect a few people buying Zen?

EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN!!! HOTFIX NAO!!!111!!!

In all fairness to them, it is "Working as Intended" now, but really, quickly Nerfixing something that *might* lead to 1% of the population having perhaps a couple more doffs seems a bit petty.

It not being in the patch notes is kinda lame as well, but I understand the arguments against not doing so.
  • Options
    standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic Apologists everywhere.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh, how I miss Wishstone at times. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...I doubt it was 1% of the population that caused the E-mail feature to catastrophically crash a few months ago because it was being used to store god knows how many tens of thousands of Doffs....

I stored food, crabloads of tribbles and crafting mats in mine.... lots of mats :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic Apologists everywhere.

I don't see any Cryptic Apologists in this thread. I see people that have a more realistic view of what is required to fix bugs. Unfortunately, the cost for hiring Q is too expensive so snapping his fingers to fix bugs is not within Cryptic's budget. Just be grateful that he does charity work for STO like put his likeness in the game during certain times of the year, grant access to his Winter destination, and replaced ESD with the current version.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I always wanted to dare Q to fill the whole universe with jelly beans....

edited August 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    No it doesn't demonstrate that, it demonstrates that he is keen to have certain bugs overlooked that he deems unimportant (an exploit he was possibly making EC from) whilst having other bugs that he deems more important, dealt with expeditiously (an old clunky adventure zone that no one plays) This is extremely clear from the original post and is specious reasoning.

Cryptic clearly do care about bug fixes, or no bugs would ever be fixed, including the Cell Ship exploit. They just don't care about the same bugs that you and others consider game breaking.

So if the OP isnt being honest about why hes posting this thread. That also means youre not being honest about why youre posting in his thread....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So if the OP isnt being honest about why hes posting this thread. That also means youre not being honest about why youre posting in his thread....

And how do you work that one out?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And how do you work that one out?

Funny. Youre intuitive enough to know what is really behind why the OP is posting...But not what brings me to the conclusion that if the OP is lying about why hes here, that it must mean youre lying about why youre here.

If the OP was lying. Then no one would take this thread all too seriously and it would of never made it to 8 pages. And it wouldnt been manipulated off topic. It would of been ignored.

So why would I believe that if the OP is a liar, that the other posters are liars as well?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You come to that conclusion, stand, because you want to set up a straw man to make the OP seem reasonable.

Sadly, you're failing miserably at that, as some folks here are indeed capable of following a train of thought to its logical conclusion.

(Hint: Any thread that tries to claim that Cryptic's "greed", or desire to actually make money, is a bad thing in the thread title is almost always more closely related to the poster's greed than Cryptic's.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    You come to that conclusion, stand, because you want to set up a straw man to make the OP seem reasonable.

Sadly, you're failing miserably at that, as some folks here are indeed capable of following a train of thought to its logical conclusion.

(Hint: Any thread that tries to claim that Cryptic's "greed", or desire to actually make money, is a bad thing in the thread title is almost always more closely related to the poster's greed than Cryptic's.)

You can call it a strawman all you want. But since youre on the internet. I have to question your logic as much as youre questioning mine.

And since theres nothing in the actual OP about him not getting this that and the other. I can only assume youre harping on his choice of title because you dont want to deal with the actual issue the OP brought up.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Funny. Youre intuitive enough to know what is really behind why the OP is posting...But not what brings me to the conclusion that if the OP is lying about why hes here, that it must mean youre lying about why youre here.

The OP told us why he started the thread:
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    Ok then let me explain.
    If you have been around since Defera launched, then you know there have been massive amounts of support tickets filed, threads created, rants ranted, about defera being buggy. (and yes it is buggy, 3 out of 4 of the hard missions have possible bugs).

So after all these missives to Cryptic, it is still buggy. So they helped not at all.

So instead of me just writing another "defera bugged' thread, which it seems you are implying i should have done, which will have gotten nowhere, i gave an example of how they actually ARE fixing bugs, and could have, should have?, fixed defera a long time ago.

Now as others have suggested, it might not be a simple fix like the cell ship, but are you seriously telling me it takes them months to fix it? Or that they couldn't at least put it in the patch notes that they are aware of the situation?

His pet mission, Defera, is bugged and he felt the Defera threads did nothing to change that, so he tried a new tactic in asking why exploit bugs get fixed quicker then other bugs.

I's not overly intuitive when the OP tells you. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The OP told us why he started the thread:

His pet mission, Defera, is bugged and he felt the Defera threads did nothing to change that, so he tried a new tactic in asking why exploit bugs get fixed quicker then other bugs.

I's not overly intuitive when the OP tells you. :)

Still waiting for any of you to point out how thats greed on the part of the OP.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited August 2013

If the OP was lying. Then no one would take this thread all too seriously and it would of never made it to 8 pages. And it wouldnt been manipulated off topic. It would of been ignored.

So why would I believe that if the OP is a liar, then those posting in his thread are likely liars as well.

Not true - lets look toward common sense for most people -and dig into the meaning of his words:
    So the cell ship has a little bug that lets people get more doffs than was originally planned for.
    These take 5!! whole days.
    Still, the players actually get a little something from this bug.
    Not dil, not Zen, MAYBE just some EC IF you are lucky.
    So what does Cryptic do? BAMB, straight away they 'fix' this bug.

From this most people can reasonably assume that he/she is very unhappy about this particular fix - it takes up the begining and 1/3 of the post. I shows that is DOES affect them personally by it's tone. Add that to the fact that it is posted not long after the exploit was closed- just hours - it is common sense for most people to conclude that this IS the true meaning. Since the OP has not posted about other bug fixes with any passion or posted about other things before that were fixed/not fixed - any reasonable person can draw what is used in the court of law as an "inference" to determine that they are in fact not believable when they claim they don't have the Cell ship.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ROFLMAO!!!

1% of the population... Yeah right.

I doubt it was 1% of the population that caused the E-mail feature to catastrophically crash a few months ago because it was being used to store god knows how many tens of thousands of Doffs.

If all the people that hoard Doffs only make up 1% of the player base this game would have at least couple of million players

1) What does that have to do with what I was talking about?
    2) What makes you think the only things being hoarded were DoFFs?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Funny. Youre intuitive to know what is really behind what the OP posting...But not what brings me to that conclusion.

You see if youre accusing the OP of not being honest. It must mean you have some proof of this. Otherwise youre lying and since youve offered no proof that the OP is lying.

I see... well thank you for that.

Your logic is flawed. I may not have proof but the OP may still be lying and I may be telling the truth.

The OP has offered a very specific defense and "doth protest too much" so to speak. Whilst not firm proof, it is enough to raise suspicion considering the specific rant about them closing that particular loophole and the lack of conviction about fixing unspecified bugs.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why are we even tallking about this!? Of course the OP has a Cell ship; and of course he used the exploit to farm doffs; and of course he's pissed about the fix. And of course that's why he posted about it. Anyone thinking he merely brought up the matter for 'academic' purposes, is highly deluding himself. :)

Doesn't really bother me, though, that he had a self-interest. I'm far more surprised at certain ppl having used exploits, and then having the gall to angrily blame Crptic for rectifying the situation. *boggle* You'd think they'd have the common sense to be grateful for the free ride they got while it lasted (without getting banned), and to be vewy, vewy quiet about it later on. :) Guess not. Seems self-entitlement now includes the realm of exploits too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Why are we even tallking about this!? Of course the OP has a Cell ship; and of course he used the exploit to farm doffs; and of course he's pissed about the fix. And of course that's why he posted about it. Anyone thinking he merely brought up the matter for 'academic' purposes, is highly deluding himself. :)

Doesn't really bother me, though, that he had a self-interest. I'm far more surprised at certain ppl having used exploits, and then having the gall to angrily blame Crptic for rectifying the situation. *boggle* You'd think they'd have the common sense to be grateful for the free ride they got while it lasted (without getting banned), and to be vewy, vewy quiet about it later on. :) Guess not. Seems self-entitlement now includes the realm of exploits too.

Given people have gone off because cryptic has done free giveaways of things they already bought, or that cryptic has not indefinitely extended events to mesh with [insert person X here's] private schedule........ I've gotten used to that caliber of complaint here.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Exploit abusers always suffer from self-entitlement. What varies per individual is whether or not they are smart enough to keep their mouths shut when an exploit gets fixed.

It's also funny when they accuse Cryptic of being greedy when it's their own avarice that is the problem.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited August 2013
    It's also funny when they accuse Cryptic of being greedy when it's their own avarice that is the problem.

All of these things + what meimeitoo just said - any reasonable person can infer that the OP does have a Cell ship and is upset.

"Their greed" - perhaps they spend $150 million plus on a cell ship awhile back and "feel" entitled to make it back - hence Cryptic is "stealing" from him by not allowing him to make the EC back as quickly as he thought.

Of course this whole discussion for most people is just theatre.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »

You shouldnt be surprised. there are people with pirated copies of games that go to the official forums and support when something isnt working right. an in game exploit is nothing compared to that idiocy.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    You shouldnt be surprised. there are people with pirated copies of games that go to the official forums and support when something isnt working right. an in game exploit is nothing compared to that idiocy.

I hope you arent trying to say people have pirated copies of STO... really now.

:rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    people say you catch more bees with honey that with vinegar

They really don't.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »

I think he's saying the entitlement mentality here is nothing compared to that.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »

"of games" signifies other games and not STO. but if someone did pirate STO i really really wouldnt be surprised at all that there are people that stupid out there.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek: