• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you!
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    mundiajimundiaji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I didn't have it, so I think it's great that I can have it for free. A runabout is a big leap from a uniform, since it is actually functional beyond aesthetic. I wonder what tomorrow freebies would? I assume it would be something that will make my day, since they can't possibly be offering something that would be anticlimactic, right? :)
    That said, I wish that they would redo the previous two offers to include something for my RomKDF character. Even one of the premium sash would do nicely, or maybe a cape. :P
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dmetrikepi wrote: »
    I get your thought process, but think like a drug dealer for a minute. A good promo guy always will. So here to Christmas is going to be a drop in sales, right? But maybe if you give people a free taste now you might get an increase in module or Zen sales if you meet people half way. So the mentality, to me, wouldn't be "do I want to sell 4 modules or 2, it's do I want to create an opportunity to get 2 module sales where normally I'd expect none? That'd be my theory any way. I say Advanced Science Vessel Refit, but the T3 Excellsior style Advanced Heavy Cruiser is a possibility. Both of these are sales goldmines in that they encourage players to buy some fleet modules (and why not, get 2 now to get the T5, then get the other 2 once you're bored with that and pull down something else sweet?). Plus with both those two, there's all the uniform stuff it encourages (the TNG or Wrath of Khan uniforms, respectively). Take a look at the first two days gifts The DS9 uniform (encourages purchase of the DS9 bundle, the Bajoran Uniform, the Defiant style Tactical Retrofit, etc.) and the TOS Command Tunic (encourages the purchase of the TOS bundle, the TOS uniform, etc.). The Klingon side doesn't have as many options that way, which is why I think the B'rel refit is likely, and I think that the carriers are likely for much the same reason. They're meeting their market half way in a time when they're least likely to make sales.

That makes sense, but from what I've seen, Cryptic is all about the money in pocket. But the Nebula doesn't reduce the cost of the Nebula retro, and the Nebula Retro reduces the cost of the fleet version by 3/4 of what the neb retro costs. As do all the other tier 5 federation ships that cost 2000z. The ones that cost 2500 don't fit the total that branflakes posted, and it's just not in Cryptic/PWE's nature to give away *that* much stuff. For that matter, a t3 (1000z) and a t5 (2000z) add up to 8100, but 7500 sounds like a larger number than 8000. Kind of like how some of us used to trick kid brothers into trading us a dollar for five dimes.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    callumph wrote: »
    A great freebie in general, but still no love for the Romulans -- we're all still just Feds/Klingons with widows peaks; how hard would it have been to give the Roms their own shuttle.

The Romulans do have their own shuttle...

It just too new for Cryptic to be giving it away already.

And BranFlakes has already posted several times that
    NO ROMULAN ITEMS WOULD BE GIVEN AWAY.

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    valetheon wrote: »
    Goes straight to overflow bag, and can't get it out even tried re logging. :(

The only thing that should have gone to the overflow bag was the non combat pet ship. Your actual ship should be available from the ship selector. Also try opening the overflow bag on the ground, in space, dance in circles three times and repeat until it opens. (Don't know how but eventually it will open.) But the only thing in the overflow bag is the pet not your ship.
  • Options
    charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is great. I already had the other 2 days of uniforms so this is a welcome item. I don't own it so today is full of win.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Also, there are patch notes that sort of hint at the d'kyr being Friday's free ship. The plot thickens!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I see one big problem looming here with all these ships being given out lately, the cap/limit on ship slots you can own, I believe the limit is about 35.
    so drop your ship and reclaim it again later or drop a ship that you hardly ever use.
    a lot of users are reluctant to drop ships as not all ships can be reclaimed or they have certain weapons and consoles set out and such and don't want to remove said items for whatever reason.
    or they don't like the hassle of reclaiming dropped ships and resetting all the afore mentioned consoles weapon ect.
    or for whatever reason they have they just don't like the thought of dropping ships.
    I have seen many posts in the forums regarding this subject so it is clearly an issue to some players.
    I believe the reason for the limit on the amount of ship slots you have is due to the fact that when a character is loaded all the ships he has in ship slots it loaded with him and this can slow things down too much.
    I may have a solution to this problem that might please the anti ship droppers while retaining the afore mentioned ship slot cap.
    I hope you are listening here devs.
    I am not sure if this idea is practical or possible if not it was just a thought so don't go getting a huff over it its no biggie but if it is possible it could be a nice little money earner for cryptic.
    I thought maybe it might be a good idea to have a dry dock available for purchase with zen, the dry dock would be sold for 2 slots a time at the same price as 2 ship slots or a little more whatever you feel is fair.
    the dry dock could be accessed from a console in space dock or via the same bot who you see to buy ships from or via some alternative method.
    a ship could be moved into dry dock as long as you have one empty space available and back out as long as you have an empty ship slot.
    ships put into dry dock would retain any weapons consoles ect so they are all ready to go when removed from dry dock.
    the ships that are stored in dry dock would not be loaded with the player like the ones that are stored in space dock but only loaded when accessing the dry dock storage so this will not affect or slow down the game a little like the way you use bank slots and inventory slots.
    I suspect at the end of the day you would still need to limit the amount of spaces you could have for dry dock but it will give the players a little more room for ship storage so it should please most players.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    dmetrikepidmetrikepi Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That makes sense, but from what I've seen, Cryptic is all about the money in pocket. But the Nebula doesn't reduce the cost of the Nebula retro, and the Nebula Retro reduces the cost of the fleet version by 3/4 of what the neb retro costs. As do all the other tier 5 federation ships that cost 2000z. The ones that cost 2500 don't fit the total that branflakes posted, and it's just not in Cryptic/PWE's nature to give away *that* much stuff. For that matter, a t3 (1000z) and a t5 (2000z) add up to 8100, but 7500 sounds like a larger number than 8000. Kind of like how some of us used to trick kid brothers into trading us a dollar for five dimes.

I don't doubt that Cryptic is as all about the money as a videogame that gives it's primary services away for free can be (they kinda hafta be). However, frequently when you're looking at your game markets and economies, a lot of it can be counter intuitive. Take this week: look at the Zen market. It's gone up in relation to dilithium quite quickly. I was buying Zen at 109 Dilithium/unit. Today I think the low price was 115 or 116 at 3pm. Of all weeks, you'd expect your Zen to Dilithium value to tank this week. Instead Zen's value has jumped up very quickly. If I hadn't spent my Zen on an account bank (I really needed it), I'd have dumped it all into dilithium and waited for the price to drop.

Sometimes when you give something away, you open your market up and increase the demand by making it percieved as available to everyone. So if Zen goes up relative to Dilithium next week even more, you could shut out people's willingness to save up Dilithium to get those fleet modules or that ship is going to go down and they'll pony up cash.

Also consider the context of the greater economy. Lots of people are expecting a major downturn in the next quarter. So here at the end of the 3rd Quarter you give away free stuff so when all these people lose their jobs... Well, where do they go? They head over to a free to play online game and when they have $20 they plunk it on a ship because it sure looks like everyone else has and it's not like they've got anything better to do with that $20 after everything has fallen apart.

All I'm saying is there's plenty of angles you could go for to where pulling those 4 ships in particular is going to make you the most money in return. That's what promotions is, afterall: giving away 8100 Z value to have more people turn around and buy 10,000 Z value later. Plus, when we're talking about what we're getting, it's all stuff we were least likely to buy anyway. That Science Vessel is a great looking ship, but it's not that often I see it around. If it's not a big seller, why would you keep it available unused?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    valetheon wrote: »
    I do have space, that's the kicker. lol

Can live without the pet, just the overflow button stuck on my inventory is kinda annoying.

you get the pet each time you reclaim the runabout so you cold try dropping the ship and reclaiming it this might solve your problem.
    you will need to visit the shipyard to do this by the way.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    turtlebol wrote: »
    Cool reward, but i wish the Klingon shuttle got a cool bonus like the Yellowstone.

are you referring to the pet here or the Tetryon-Plasma Engine.
    if you are referring to the pet the To?Duj Fighter did come with a pet To?Duj Fighter.
    if you mean the engine sorry cant help there.

• Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the shuttle anf fighter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    captmal105 wrote: »
    Sweet googly ice cream, this is really a 3 item freebie, I didn't have either ship and the Yellowstone also comes with a Yellowstone pet item. That's a 3 scoop of STO ice cream to go with dinner today, THANKS!

as I said in my last post the fighter has a pet also so that's a 4 item freebie.

mind you a lot of people don't like pets I however love them.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    -eyes the dev blogs and facepalms, hard-

Guess we now know what this giveaway was for now....hope it works out for them that this plan of tossing some trinkets about will retain players...

personally they don't have to give me anything too keep me playing I love the game just as it is and it keeps on getting better all the time.
    the free gifts are just icing on the cake, and a very nice cake it is too.
    keep it up cryptic.

• Options
    oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    The Romulans do have their own shuttle...

It just too new for Cryptic to be giving it away already.

And BranFlakes has already posted several times that
    NO ROMULAN ITEMS WOULD BE GIVEN AWAY.

;)

True, but Romulans can use the small crafts of their allied factions, and the special warpcore from the shuttle fits in every other small craft, so you can even keep your Rom shuttle and still use the gimmick from the give away.
  • Options
    jklindersjklinders Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This giveaway is a nice touch.

I'd been eyeing the Yellowstone for a while Thanks.
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This has been a very good week for me so far. I have been wanting to try a fighter. Thanks Dev team.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Huzzah! I'm really liking these. The DS9 uniform I had off the exchange only for 1 toon, but didn't have any of the rest. needless to say, everyone now has everything. Thank's guys!

I'm just gutted I wont be able to claim today's freebie due to being away on a business trip, but I should be able to grab Friday's. So I'm just hoping today isn't an Excelsior.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    great rewards, many thanks, just shame i missed day 2 :(. Will be days 4 and more?
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i'm sure this has been echoed before, but snce more people will now have a nice small craft

Could we perchance get a interior that shows us our current small craft?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    anthsco10anthsco10 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    These two small craft have already shown their worth in Operation Gamma. The slow Runabout took forever. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    True, but Romulans can use the small crafts of their allied factions, and the special warpcore from the shuttle fits in every other small craft, so you can even keep your Rom shuttle and still use the gimmick from the give away.

While I agree completely with what you posted above...,

You might want to go back and re-read the particular post that I quoted when I posted my reply, you quoted.

It was in response to another poster, who wanted to know why No Romulan Shuttle Was Being Given Away.

That was also why I HIGHLIGHTED the last sentence.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, the players using said Runabouts said absolutely nothing in either instance, suggesting that they used their Yellowstones deliberately.
    Or that they were too busy frantically hammering at their keyboards, trying to elicit starship-level performance from a jumped-up runabout, to type anything into the chat box. Just putting that out there - I frequently have no time to talk to people, and I think sometimes they take that amiss.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dmetrikepi wrote: »
    I don't doubt that Cryptic is as all about the money as a videogame that gives it's primary services away for free can be (they kinda hafta be). However, frequently when you're looking at your game markets and economies, a lot of it can be counter intuitive. Take this week: look at the Zen market. It's gone up in relation to dilithium quite quickly. I was buying Zen at 109 Dilithium/unit. Today I think the low price was 115 or 116 at 3pm. Of all weeks, you'd expect your Zen to Dilithium value to tank this week. Instead Zen's value has jumped up very quickly. If I hadn't spent my Zen on an account bank (I really needed it), I'd have dumped it all into dilithium and waited for the price to drop.

The reason for that has nothing to do with the giveaway; there's also a master key sale going on right now.
  • Options
    lavinjolplavinjolp Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I can't claim it because of the maintenance form 7AM till 10:30AM and this offer expires 10AM. LOL How convenient ... :mad:
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lavinjolp wrote: »
    So I can't claim it because of the maintenance form 7AM till 10:30AM and this offer expires 10AM. LOL How convenient ... :mad:
    Are you trying to imply that they deliberately did this to make you miss the deadline? If that's what you're trying to do, that makes very little sense.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    capitandannycapitandanny Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We are excited to announce that today's FREE C-Store items are the Yellowstone Runabout and To'Duj Fighter! Read more for full details, including claiming instructions.

Click here to read more.

I was trying to collect the giveaway before 10AM pacific, but sto is doing maintenance until 10:30AM. Am I going to be able to claim after the maintenance is done?:(
  • Options
    lavinjolplavinjolp Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Are you trying to imply that they deliberately did this to make you miss the deadline? If that's what you're trying to do, that makes very little sense.

Yes they know when I'm playing the game and when I sleep... lol

I just think it would be OK if they prolong this giveaway for the time of the maintenance so people who are not in PDT zone can claim it. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.