Install Arc

Regarding Arc (closed, necro)

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rikev wrote: »
    Can we play an ARC drinking game?

Take a swig every time:

- A free ZEN for surveys advert appears.
    - You get a coupon for "free" things requiring you to pay.
    - Other PWE games get shoved in your face.
    - An advert pop-up appears.
    - Adverts for cash store content get shoved in your face.
    - Patching fails.
    - ARC requires excessive information to sign-up to.
    - ARC then gets TRIBBLE, spaffing your information all over Pastebin.
    - The program decides to go through every open file or process on your system for no apparent reason.
    - Something NSA related. :P

none of these things actually happen.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    Seeing a couple of points in this thread I would like to clarify:

- Re: Pando Media Booster -- it's not used anymore by us, at least not for STO downloads. It hasn't for a while -- it's also not used for Arc. Currently, when you go to http://sto.perfectworld.com/download, you download the launcher and patch from there. This [how new players (and those who need to reinstall) download and play STO] will be changing tomorrow per yesterday's article and as I mentioned here:
    packer3434 wrote: »
    Arc is almost certainly coming now...

Arc is here. Are you are referring to the possibility that it may be required in the future? If so, we'd love to eventually evolve Arc to the point where it is fully integrated in all of our games, but we're simply not ready to do that yet, as we're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Regarding existing players*, my quote from the other thread when we introduced it still holds true:
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :) If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

*Do note that if you uninstall the game and need to reinstall, or get a new computer, you will need to download Arc to install and launch STO.

- Re: Arc launchers the STO launcher, which then allows me to launch STO. This is "bloatware" -- As mentioned in my quote above, the Arc team is looking to add many more features/ benefits that legitimately improves the overall game experience. Some of the current ones are listed here: http://www.perfectworld.com/arc

I'd like to again point this out from the above, as it's very true: We're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

The Arc team's first big test is to have new players coming into STO utilize Arc to play, and we sincerely look forward to all types of feedback. If you're going to be critical, or positive, be constructive. And the key to being constructive and being able to speak towards what you like and don't like includes having tried it for yourself.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok...since this is for 'us', the 'players', I would LOVE to meet the players who actually ASKED for this.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Arc team's first big test is to have new players coming into STO utilize Arc to play, and we sincerely look forward to all types of feedback. If you're going to be critical, or positive, be constructive. And the key to being constructive and being able to speak towards what you like and don't like includes having tried it for yourself.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, Brandon, I've never tried several keyloggers and root-kit programs either, so I guess I am unqualified to say whether or not I feel I should have garbage like that on my system. Let me go to some seedy parts of the internet and download their free Ipad 12 offers right this second sir!

What is wrong with the tiny launcher we have now? Some of us are very particular about what we put on our rigs, respect that playa.

The only flaw in your "we need new player feedback" schtick is sometimes people's computers crash, and if they decide to re-download your game it sounds like they will be forced to use this. My question is, if you have the disk, will you never have to deal with this TRIBBLE? I really don't even like Steam TBH. No problem with the way it works, just seems like BS to me. Don't like Origin either. All this stuff is TRIBBLE.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well PWE must be pretty confident with their little piece of ***ware as they're taking a BIG chance of pushing away new players by stealithily installing ARC when STO installs. Some of those new players may still be unable to post their opinions of the software, and could be removing it and telling their friends to avoid STO because of the software.

It's a BIG gamble on PWE's part.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

- Re: Pando Media Booster -- it's not used anymore, at least not for STO downloads. It hasn't for a while. When you go to http://sto.perfectworld.com/download, you download the launcher and patch from there. This will be changing tomorrow per yesterday's article and as I mentioned here:

I think you might need to re-clarify that clarification. Because as that reads, it says that while Pando was not part of the STO launcher, it *is* part of ARC.

Unless that was what you meant to say.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thanks Brandon for giving this some attention early on.

As for me personally, I won't be able to be very constructive as I don't want it and don't want to "test" it.

And if that is how I feel, I can just imagine how this is gonna end once all hardcore Trek fans starts to speak their opinion on these forums.
    signwidrona.png
    edited July 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I think you might need to re-clarify that clarification. Because as that reads, it says that while Pando was not part of the STO launcher, it *is* part of ARC.

Unless that was what you meant to say.

Arc does not use Pando. I'll make that more clear.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately Brandon, even under ideal circumstances, Arc will always be limited to PWE's tiny little corner of gaming and therefore never be big enough to compete with services Steam.

What's worse is that players with less than optimal hardware are now forced to add an extra layer of bloat to their fragile systems. Arc will be a complete turn-off for them.

Brandon, we're trying to give you feedback here, it just doesn't align with PWE's ambitions. We don't need another game service and we certainty don't need one foisted on us.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Make ARC optional, whether you are downloading the game or just an existing player. Problem solved.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will not be loading Arc on to my machine, so I guess it doesn't matter what I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Make ARC optional, whether you are downloading the game or just an existing player. Problem solved.

This x 1000.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • theparanoidtheparanoid Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here is some constructive feed back.

I do not want to be force into using ARC.

As of today. I will not spend one other time on STO. Until it becomes crystal and permanently clear that I can play STO with out ARC.

If ARC becomes Mandatory. I will decide if I want to continue playing sto. I can tell your right know that answer will like be

NO.

I will also NEVER play any PWE game.
  • zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here is some constructive feed back.

I do not want to be force into using ARC.

As of today. I will not spend one other time on STO. Until it becomes crystal and permanently clear that I can play STO with out ARC.

If ARC becomes Mandatory. I will decide if I want to continue playing sto. I can tell your right know that answer will like be

NO.

I will also NEVER play any PWE game.

I will keep playing, but there will not be another dime given to them from me.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • boskukboskuk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Brandon.

I have installed Arc as I do not feel I should judge this without trying it, I will leave proper feedback in the dedicated thread once I have been in game with it.

In the meantime, can you provide a link that lists the features that do currently work with STO? I am seeing mentioned that some of the features do not.

As a personal opinion though, surely having things like it launching the game should be working before it is forced on new users, I know I for one would be put off if I had to use a system like this that only opened a launcher and not the game itself.
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Brandon, you said, that Arc is for us. But what are the benefits for us?

At the moment don't see, how Arc will improve my experience with STO, because STO is not integrated in CORE Connect and other services of PWE. I have no access to my fleet or my friends neither. ARC just load the old launcher if i click on 'play'. The support page in Arc has the same redirect error as in my own browser. I have to login in Arc for different services while i am already logged-in in Arc.

The ingame-layer is most of the time not working for me. I play STO in window mode.

So what is the benefit? The commercials and popups for other PWE games? No thanks.

Arc ist at this moment only a software for PWE and their other games, but for me it is only advertising and another useless program in the system tray.

Integrate ingame mail and chat in Arc, my charakter profiles and other nice features of CORE Connect and make STO starting directly form Arc, then we can talk about the benefits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Arc does not use Pando. I'll make that more clear.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

For many folks, not all mind you, but for many - that will mean the world of difference. They can spare the resources for something else running, but outside of moving - they may not have any options regarding what their local ISPs do regarding bandwidth.

edit: Course, it raises the question - even if it does not use Pando - does it use some proprietary application that would basically be the same as it using Pando? Does Arc include peernetworking?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2013

- Re: Pando Media Booster -- it's not used anymore by us, at least not for STO downloads. It hasn't for a while -- it's also not used for Arc. Currently, when you go to http://sto.perfectworld.com/download, you download the launcher and patch from there. This [how new players (and those who need to reinstall) download and play STO] will be changing tomorrow per yesterday's article and as I mentioned here:

- Re: Arc launchers the STO launcher, which then allows me to launch STO. This is "bloatware" -- As mentioned in my quote above, the Arc team is looking to add many more features/ benefits that legitimately improves the overall game experience. Some of the current ones are listed here: http://www.perfectworld.com/arc

I'd like to again point this out from the above, as it's very true: We're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

My most constructive comment then: Please make it OPTIONAL (IE allow the user him/herself decide if they want to use ARC to install/launch PWE games (and Cryptic games like CO/STO/NW) - if your current post aren't just marketing speech, like you said, go ahead and make it attractive to players who might want what it offers; but don't FORCE it on players who don't.

Right now I consider it one GB of data (as well as resource usage when it runs in the background as I play) I DO NOT WANT and DO NOT NEED to play Cryptic games. If it in the end DOES offer something I find useful with regard to playing Cryptic games; I will install it, but I like to run as lean as I can and even kill un-needed processes before launching STO as it stands now. I do not need another TSR process running on top of STO (or CO or NW) when I play.

In the end, if you guys do make ARC a requirement for accessing Cryptic games and it offers nothing I find useful beyond that, I'll simply say 'thank you' for the games up to that point and move on (or back) to EVE Online (and Star Citizen when/if it launches) for my spaceship MMO fix; and leave CO (which I do like but even now rarely play as it's in a state just above MMO 'maintenance mode') and NW (Which I play because of friends that still play, but I've never been a big fan of the 'high-fantasy' genre myself, so again, leaving that behind isn't hard for me.)

I don't (and never will) use Steam for the same reason I dislike PWE's 'ARC' - I don't want need/what I honestly consider 'bloatware' running on top of whatever I'm playing. If it offers a function I find useful - I will install and use it; but for my playstyle it currently offers NOTHING I feel is necessary to play or enjoy Cryptic games as they exist today.

I REALLY DO think it is a TERRIBLE marketing decision to effectively FORCE players (new or old) to use it.

/end of my constructive feedback on ARC
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited July 2013

Manage Your Worlds

Which is a nifty feature for those that play multiple PWE games. There are 14 games listed in the little dropdown up there on the top of many PW pages. Some of us only play STO though. One of the reasons some are asking that it be optional.

Personal Notification

Hey, for those players that never go to the website, never go to the forums, never contact Starfleet/KDF/Rom Command, never look at the calendar/bulletins...well, they'll likely have another thing that they never look at either. :(

Access the Web

Will it support all the various plugins that folks run - things to prevent popups or general adblockers, antivirus integration, will there be Flash/Java/etc/etc - and - how secure will the particular plugins be, what sort of privacy/security settings will be available? Some folks run IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc, etc, etc out the wahzoo as is...why would they want to use this browser over any other browser or selection of browsers they currently use?

Be in the Know

This is basically the first two, no? That combination of if STO's the only game and those folks that don't pay attention anyway not paying attention...eh?

Stay Connected

Okay, first of all - what kind of privacy settings will be available for this stalkerware? Different levels of friends? Ability to hide/anonymous regardless of their friend status? Is something in the line down the road to merge friends from various games/Core Connect/etc with ARC? If so, then more so the first of all...

Take Charge

Er, I guess for those that find it far too much of a hassle to open up their browser or a new tab - login if they're not already logged in - and then make their purchase...this could be handy.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's very funny. If I actually were to test this, I'd end up stuck with it regardless of my opinion on it. So no, thanks, I definitely don't want to 'test' it. (Seriously, this seems like an ambush you've prepared here. Not nice at all.)

Make it an optional service, then it can have some usefulness and won't turn away those who just want to play.

If it's optional (as in a player can later decide not to use it), you might get more (and more measured) feedback as well.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Comments are in-line...
    :::Snip...:::

All very well, nice and good Brandon, don't get me wrong on that. But as others have stated in this thread and in the Official Discussion Thread, there is a portion of the playerbase quite happy with the current launcher that is available.

Fair enough there, but there are considerable concerns beyond the Pando and/or Steam issues being voiced. I listed several questions in Post #128 of the Official Discussion Thread I would like to have answered before even downloading ARC. Based upon the "features" mentioned on the ARC Page, I do not see the need for it personally as I don't have a need or desire to use the majority of the Socialization functions ARC would seem to have. I have other Programs that run concurrently with STO that handle those functions.

Simply put, I do not want or need a secondary background program running just to launch and/or maintain playing one MMO game. I am not interested in trying out or playing any other Cryptic or PWE Product. Period.

Now, if ARC can just launch-update-termainate upon game start, then I might download it and try it. If it doesn't/can't do the above, then when ARC becomes mandatory, I'll step away from STO and Cryptic/PWE altogether. That is my feedback right now. Your turn Brandon.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    That's very funny. If I actually were to test this, I'd end up stuck with it regardless of my opinion on it. So no, thanks, I definitely don't want to 'test' it. (Seriously, this seems like an ambush you've prepared here. Not nice at all.)

Make it an optional service, then it can have some usefulness and won't turn away those who just want to play.

If it's optional (as in a player can later decide not to use it), you might get more (and more measured) feedback as well.

This. Even if this program is all good and niceness, I still dont need and my PC may be strained by the memory usage.

If its optional, sure I dont mind. But dont make it a forced requirement, or paranoid people or people with low end computers like me will suffer.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited July 2013
    toiva wrote: »

We appreciate this concern, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I do want to make sure that the above concerns are addressed and fortunately, as you are requesting, it continues to remain optional at this time, even if you choose to test it.

Example: I have STO installed at this time via the current link from the /download page. I also have Arc installed at this time, with STO in my games library. Additionally, I have Steam installed with STO in my library. I can launch STO from any of the 3 aforementioned methods.

Starting tomorrow, if you do need to reinstall the client, or are a new player, and are downloading STO from our site, you'll be downloading the Arc client and installing from there. If you have an old disc that came with your boxed version, you can also reinstall from it. The download links on /download are what are being updated tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Starting tomorrow, if you do need to reinstall the client, or are a new player, and are downloading STO from our site, you'll be downloading the Arc client and installing from there. If you have an old disc that came with your boxed version, you can also reinstall from it. The download links on /download are what are being updated tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

But in fact, that Arc only starts the old STO launcher after klicking play in Arc, can someone who installed the game after tomorrow starts the game of the old way through the old launcher? The old launcher still have to exists for Arc.

And again my question: What are the benefits for us? Know Arc is just a launcher for the launcher.

Other question: When will STO use CORE Connect and when we STOler can use the other "features" of Arc? When Arc will become a benefit for us and not only for you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In my country we have a saying "they only learn the bad things".

It refers to people claiming to be learning from others (or copying more often than not) but only implementing the bad aspects of something. I think ARC is a pretty transparent copy to Origin and other such "services". Origin is almost universally loathed and countless people prefer to do without any of EA's games than let Origin with its miriad issues plague their PCs.

Will arc have stealth spyware? Will it use up bandwidth without our say so? Will it be full of pop ups?

Most of all, how is any of what this new software offer us is a service that adds value and not pure cross marketting?

I'm sure PWE marketting is salivating at the idea that it will make players more likely to stay within PWE's universe of games but as it is it only makes me want to look at other PWE products even less, and to be very vocal about it to my friends and acquaintances.

As it is I already hate it and I haven't even tried it! I don't see a single way my playing experience will be enhanced by it.
    edited July 2013
    And again my question: What are the benefits for us? Know Arc is just a launcher for the launcher.

Other question: When will STO use CORE Connect and when we STOler can use the other "features" of Arc? When Arc will become a benefit for us and not only for you?

Check out the current benefits here: http://www.perfectworld.com/arc

The Arc team is also working on many more features to enhance your experience. What features would you like to see? Let the Arc team know directly via the client ('Help' menu > 'Support/Feedback' link).

Arc is the new CORE, and we are working on more integration for STO. As I've mentioned, the goal of Arc is to enhance your game play experience and that's exactly what we are working towards. The current features are only the start.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Arc team is also working on many more features to enhance your experience. What features would you like to see?

What do I want to see?

A written (well, typed) promise that as someone who's installed STO already that I will never, ever have to download Arc. Ever. I only play a PWE game because I love Trek. I'm fine without these other things, the only thing I want from my game experience is being able to play it without add-ons.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited July 2013
    As I've mentioned, the goal of Arc is to enhance your game play experience and that's exactly what we are working towards.

Okay...I'm posting this knowing that if I get kertwapped that I deserve it, because I'm posting this knowing that it probably deserves me getting kertwapped for posting it.

Arc is going to fix bugs?
    Arc is going to address balancing issues?
    Arc is going to bring new content?

Those are things that would enhance my game play experience.

Another browser? Does nothing.
    Showing me other games that I don't play? Does nothing.
    Showing me news for a game where I'm already pretty much logged in to the site 24/7? Does nothing.
    Giving me another means to keep in touch with folks that I keep in touch with already? Does nothing.
    Using up more resources on the machine I'm playing on? Actually hurts the experience rather than enhances it.
    Adding something else that might break? Actually hurts the experience rather than enhances it.

I've made the crack before, that if Cryptic had the opportunity to do it all over again - given the direction it has gone, it would be a Facebook game. I guess in not being able to make it a Facebook game, the next best option was bringing "Facebook" to the game.

I don't play Facebook games...Facebook doesn't enhance my game play experience.
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So it's a browser with a toolbar and an IM plug-in, likely Jabber since that seems to be what the various Cryptic chat systems are based on.

So my question is this: whose set of standards does it use? IE, Firefox, Mosaic, homebrew ... ?

Because three words that should have your support guys releasing their bowels into their pants right now, dude: Cross. Site. Scripting.
  • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't see how this can enhance my game play in any way shape or form. This is marketing pure and simple. I have no need for a special program that does nothing but launches the game I want to play after a gazillion ads for other games I don't want to play. If I want to buy a new ship then there are plenty of shipyards and I see no need to buy a pack's of doffs if I'm not in game. Any changes I make to my toons will be made in game. I cant and wont give an honest opinion of how well ARC runs or doesn't run because I don't want PWE in my computer more than they already are......period. I still really like and want to play the game but at this point I'm a HDD crash away from no longer being a part of STO.
This discussion has been closed.