test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New players can't post here, despite description

tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Academy
As a recently new player, your forum software prevented me from posting here. As a spam prevention measure, I believe.

At a minimum, the forum's description needs updating.

As it currently stands:
New and confused still? Got questions about Star Trek Online and how things work? Come on in and ask here! The Player Guides sub-forum can also be found here.

The obvious problem is, of course, that it's not actually possible for a new player to post here. I think it took a month, but I'm not sure. Clarifying that should be one of your goals.
Post edited by tewha7 on

Comments

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I think you have to purchase Zen before you are allowed to post here.

It also helps to keep spam advertisements out of the forum.
  • velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »

That used to be the case but is no longer true. The features matrix says silver players have unlimited forum access, and it's been that way for several months now.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can post from the start, you just can't create new threads until a number of days have passed (4 I believe).
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • psupiratepsupirate Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm one of those new players who can't make a thread, so I may as well put my question here. I now have a 'gold' subscription, but apparently that isn't enough to give me access to create threads.

My question concerns missions (story missions in particular). Do story missions level up their reward as you level, or are they constant?

The reason I ask is that my character is just a hair under getting to his next tier of ship, and my next storyline mission has a lot of really great rewards. Problem is, the moment I complete that mission those 'great' rewards will already be out of date as my new rank and ship will be able to equip even better. Should I drop the mission, level up with some other mission (or daily), and then pick it up again? Will the rewards change or stay the same?
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    psupirate wrote: »
    My question concerns missions (story missions in particular). Do story missions level up their reward as you level, or are they constant?

They match your level. There's nothing stopping you from going back at level cap and getting the rewards again since you can replay each mission. But the maximum rank for mission rewards is MK XI. If you feel you need the uber gear, you'll have to grind rep for it.

I do think that you need to get rid of the old sexy reward of a lower level so you can get it at the higher level but I'm not sure of that.
    <3
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2013
    psupirate wrote: »
    I'm one of those new players who can't make a thread, so I may as well put my question here. I now have a 'gold' subscription, but apparently that isn't enough to give me access to create threads.

As this is your first visit to the new forums, it considers you new :) Your join date shows June 2013. The "can't start a new thread until after a specified amount of time" is in place to stop spam bots -- it's a pretty short wait, and since we've put it in place, there has been virtually no spam. We're happy to remove this for you as you're clearly not a spam bot (and I just have -- log out and back in. I also made sure everyone else in this thread can make threads). Anyone else that's in this same boat who reads this message at a later date can send me a forum PM and I can manually remove the restriction.

Thanks for understanding!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited June 2013
    As this is your first visit to the new forums, it considers you new :) Your join date shows June 2013. The "can't start a new thread until after a specified amount of time" is in place to stop spam bots -- it's a pretty short wait, and since we've put it in place, there has been virtually no spam. We're happy to remove this for you as you're clearly not a spam bot (and I just have -- log out and back in. I also made sure everyone else in this thread can make threads). Anyone else that's in this same boat who reads this message at a later date can send me a forum PM and I can manually remove the restriction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you Brandon!
  • fallriskfallrisk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not spam bot either....either...either.... j/k. As a new player all I can say is that the spam must of been driving away more customers than restricting new players does.

Personally, I've had a ton of questions but since I couldn't ask them I eventually figured most out (or forgot some along the way that will surprise me one day that I still don't know that piece of info yet).

(at least I can make paragraphs..the last game I tried the forum wouldn't let me and the players chimed it that it was my browser causing it although I'd never had the problem before and haven't had it since. I'm always surprised by the apparent negativity exhibited by folks that supposedly like the game towards new players)

ps. I'm not saying that's the only reason I'm not playing the last game but it contributed to it somewhat.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »

It also helps to keep spam advertisements out of the forum.

I do not believe this is a true statement. I also believe they can not start new threads.. but can post to existing ones as well. I just recently came back and I purchased a Romulan Pack, and a life time member, and had purchased ZEN and... meh... i could not post for nearly a month.
    edited June 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    They match your level. There's nothing stopping you from going back at level cap and getting the rewards again since you can replay each mission. But the maximum rank for mission rewards is MK XI. If you feel you need the uber gear, you'll have to grind rep for it.

I do think that you need to get rid of the old sexy reward of a lower level so you can get it at the higher level but I'm not sure of that.

Just posting since I answered my own question in-game. I ended up leveling from Doff assignments and noticed that the rewards for the story quest I picked up automatically upgraded to the next tier as soon as I reached level 20 without me having to drop and then pick-up the quest again.
  • orin12345679orin12345679 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Er... Hey?
  • erstwhile63erstwhile63 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Brandon, I have been registered for quite a while now and am still getting the "not able to post new threads" message every time.

I used to have a paying account from when STO first started, but switched to FTP for budgetary reasons. My question that I have been trying to find an answer to for days now is why a FTP player at tier 3 with a research science vessel(Nebula) that has a vacant ensign universal station, and who has two officer candidates waiting to be assigned, cannot fill the slot.
  • trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Brandon, I have been registered for quite a while now and am still getting the "not able to post new threads" message every time.

I used to have a paying account from when STO first started, but switched to FTP for budgetary reasons. My question that I have been trying to find an answer to for days now is why a FTP player at tier 3 with a research science vessel(Nebula) that has a vacant ensign universal station, and who has two officer candidates waiting to be assigned, cannot fill the slot.

Officer Candidates need to be commissioned before you can assign them to a bridge station. If memory serves (I'm at work, so can't actually look at it right now), go to the window where you can assign your Boff, and your candidates appear on the right. Right clicking on one of them should give you a menu drop down with options for join, decline, train, and cancel. Join moves that Boff into your crew and can then be assigned to a Bridge Station. Train is what one uses to train a current Boff with one of the candidate's skills, losing the candidate in the process.
  • erstwhile63erstwhile63 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I appreciate your response, but it didn't help. Looking at the screen we're talking about, I have all of my available bridge stations listed on the left, with the empty Ensign Universal Station at the top. On the right are two officer candidates. Double clicking on them or right clicking brings up the drop down menu you mention with Commission, Dismiss, Train, or Join. Clicking on Commission for either candidate brings up their response which is, "There is currently no open positions for bridge officers on your ship..." and leaves me right where I started from.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In order to add Commission a Bridge Officer yo need to have an empty Commission Bridge Office slot (on the left side the screen). You will gain 2 per rank up to a total of 6 Bridge Officer slots for a Silver Account (10 for Gold). Yo can purchase more BO slots for the C-Store
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, the "positions" it's talking about aren't the slots on your ship, it's the list all the way on the left. You can only have a set number of Boffs at once, which increases as you level. After you've hit the level cap, the only way to add more slots is to buy them from the C-Store.
    ____
  • doresainbanedoresainbane Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    Yea, I have had my account open for quite some time, it is active and in good standing and I don't really care to count how much Zen I've bought. I've been trying to post to advertise the new STO Role Play community site that we've got set up, yet, I keep getting the message that:

"Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team"

Anyways, any RPers out there, feel free to check out holodeck.enjin.com! There, mission somewhat accomplished.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea, I have had my account open for quite some time, it is active and in good standing and I don't really care to count how much Zen I've bought. I've been trying to post to advertise the new STO Role Play community site that we've got set up, yet, I keep getting the message that:

"Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team"

Your forum account, however, is new:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam problem was quite a lot worse before this change. Trust me, it's better this way. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • mazleckmazleck Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've never had the need to create a new thread, even though I've played STO for a while now, and so, was unaware of the restriction. I've been appointed recruiter for my fleet, and would appreciate this restriction being lifted on my account so I can create a recruitment thread. Thanks in advance for any help you send my way.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mazleck wrote: »
    I've never had the need to create a new thread, even though I've played STO for a while now, and so, was unaware of the restriction. I've been appointed recruiter for my fleet, and would appreciate this restriction being lifted on my account so I can create a recruitment thread. Thanks in advance for any help you send my way.

Please send a PM to "pwebranflakes" asking for removal of the restriction, as mentioned in this post:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10723021&postcount=8
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam problem was quite a lot worse before this change. Trust me, it's better this way. :)

For what it's worth, I really don't have a problem with the restriction. But it ought to be explained. "Post here if you're new!" Click, click. "You can't post because you're new!" is really frustrating.
  • krugerrandkrugerrand Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Super new to the game. I've pushed *something* on my keyboard which has deactivated my 'mouse' and put a blue square with geometrics in the middle of my screen. Moving my mouse now causes my character view to change only. It looks like some sort of targeting box. Anyway, the problem is that without my mouse I can't click on other stuff on my screen. I have relogged the game...no change. How do I get a functioning mouse back and get rid of this blue box? Many thanks in advance.
  • velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    krugerrand wrote: »
    Super new to the game. I've pushed *something* on my keyboard which has deactivated my 'mouse' and put a blue square with geometrics in the middle of my screen. Moving my mouse now causes my character view to change only. It looks like some sort of targeting box. Anyway, the problem is that without my mouse I can't click on other stuff on my screen. I have relogged the game...no change. How do I get a functioning mouse back and get rid of this blue box? Many thanks in advance.

You've activated shooter mode. Try pressing the "B" key.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • krugerrandkrugerrand Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    velktra wrote: »
    You've activated shooter mode. Try pressing the "B" key.

That fixed it! Thank you so much!
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well.

I've got to say this no posting new threads till 4 days after you register is BS. I am having a problem with downloading off of the perfect world site.

Tried to download Neverwinter Online. It starts a process but then nothing ever happens.

Went to post on that game forum for help. Same BS I find here.

After frustration with NWOnline set in, I figured...well why not try STOnline.

Same issue. An installer process begins, nothing happens.

Trying to actually post for help is as frustrating as the craptastic installer.

I guess I will come back in 4 days if I still have any interest in either game.
  • daeryn17daeryn17 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is there a place where new players can post? I've just started and have a ton of questions. So far, the game seems cool but I'm so lost and confused on how a lot of things work. Space combat was an especially difficult task for me. I wanted to post a topic with some questions but it says I am not allowed.
  • gewkiegewkie Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since I can't start a new thread (even though I've been playing STO for over a year) this looks like a good place to post my question.

I've never bought zen before and will be doing so shortly. I'm going to be using the Ultimate game card gift cards and purchasing $50 worth of zen. When I do this, it asks me to enter the code etc however I can only purchase the cards in denominations of $20. Can I use multiple cards for the same purchase?

Thanks
    edited June 2013
    daeryn17 wrote: »
    Is there a place where new players can post? I've just started and have a ton of questions. So far, the game seems cool but I'm so lost and confused on how a lot of things work. Space combat was an especially difficult task for me. I wanted to post a topic with some questions but it says I am not allowed.
    I believe after 4 days you can start making your own threads.
    ____
  • dechlendechlen Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I just merged my old cryptic account with my pw account could I get access to post to please ? I have a couple of questions I wanted to ask since I am considering the lifetime sub.

Thanks