What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Outage - 5/28

Comments

• Options
    historicalmanhistoricalman Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to start by saying that I really enjoy STO and it's one of the 7 games I play regularly. However, I feel I need to let loose a self-indulgent rant.

I don't have a lot of money, so I tend to choose my games carefully, especially those that require a subscription fee. But, when I find a well constructed and maintained game I will pay for it and become a full member.

For example, I play LotRO. I grew up loving the Middle-Earth story line (much as I grew up loving Star Trek) and have remained a loyal fan for decades. But LotRO is run by a company that takes its job and customers seriously. Like STO, LotRO stays true to the lore (with some understandable exceptions) but it also provides a high quality gaming experience. For that reason I am a subscriber to LotRO.

I want to give STO my subscription money, but they constantly tell me that they do not want it by providing a shoddy product. I am sure that the programmers, engineers, and techs are very hard working people, doing what they can with the resources they are provided. I am equally sure that the problem is coming from the top and the hard working grunts are not given the resources and funding needed to create a top-quality product.

How is it that one of the most successful entertainment franchises in human history (Star Trek) has teamed up with one of the most incompetent gaming companies in business today (Perfect World)?

It seems the financial power behind Star Trek would allow it to pick and choose who represents it in the MMORPG world. Instead it seems to have gone with the bargain basement group.

The franchise should demand better of the people who represent it.

OK. Sorry for the douche-bag whine session, but can we please get a better product?
  • Options
    chrisc85chrisc85 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If games make you this emotional, maybe it's time to find another hobby.

Seriously, it's just a game.

Not right now it isn't, nor any other day for 1-3 hours, give or take.

You wouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior from your cell phone, powering down for an hour or two every day, and you paid good money for it expecting it to work, just as we have for Star Trek.

I feel sorry for the subscribers and lifetimers..
  • Options
    jengofett649jengofett649 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    who ever said it'd only be down 45mins needs to get a grip on reality lol, i just watched Star Trek 3 in its entirety and nothing changed... still down lol.
  • Options
    lethallarry1lethallarry1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    last time I tried to log in about 15 minutes ago, it pushed me a 135 meg patch.
    So it downloaded and installed.
    End result: I still couldn't log in, but at least I now have another 135 megs of data that I didn't have before. I guess now I'm unable to log in even better than I was before.
  • Options
    sardiajaxsardiajax Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heh, I've dabbled with programming and video game modding for 20-ish years so I'd probably understand at least some of it too. But to most people it'd be technobabble.ORLY? I got what I paid for.... (LTS and Legacy pack) there was nothing in the transaction about how many hours of server uptime you get....

Really, you got 129 bucks worth already out of the legacy pack? cool

Now for the rest of us non EA or Microsoft employees...we want a reliable product for what we pay for. End of story.

As it is, this game is a mess. No amount of fanboyism can detract from the daily down times, 130 meg patches that fix NOTHING (130 fing megs, wtf), and generally crappiness that is STO at this time.
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    who ever said it'd only be down 45mins needs to get a grip on reality lol, i just watched Star Trek 3 in its entirety and nothing changed... still down lol.

This isn't reality. This is Fantasy!

Now get in the closet!
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    deezy611deezy611 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Man, I would love to sit down and have a beer with Brandon one evening. You just know that he has more to say than his "we have isolated the issue" and "the server's back up, see you in-game" messages let on.

Oh, to be the gnat on Brandon's beer glass...
  • Options
    pel2pel2 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FOR THE SAKE OF US ALL WILL YOU PLEASE FIX THE TRIBBLE*_*)_@#*$+_*@_%&(@^* PROBLEM THE STUPID FLIPPIN PATCHES AIN'T WORKIN...you idiots shoulda never went live with this till you had all this stuff solved MAIL STILL BROKE!!!! I PAY PER MONTH TRIBBLE&(@*$(^$(*^TRIBBLE^%%AND HAVE READ THE EULA AND AGREED TO IT SINCE THE GAME WENT LIVE!!!!for the love of KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN do your $(*$)(@!)$)!&_!#$*_)*!) JOBS and fix THIS $(_!$*_!$)&!) . darn IT :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no clue if this is the right place to put this.

Wait . . . yes it is . . . because a thread like this is the perfect place to put anything when the servers are down.

Okay so here goes . . . I would like to know how many folks want the next playable faction to be Pakleds (did I even bloody spell that right? Meh . . . not like they would notice anyway. Their ship is broken . . . )
    1. I do know plenty of posters here on the forums that, based on their grammar, would be PERFECT for writing the dialogues.
    2. The majority of their DOFF missions should be "Scavenge Minefield" missions.
    3. They get a bonus to turrets and turret damage . . . did I mention that's all their ships could mount?
    4. You think the Romulans have Subterfuge? All enemies of a Pakled would be so busy scratching their heads at WTF just happened in the dialogue that the Pakled would have an amazing advantage . . . unbalanced? Nope. Because I had not yet mentioned the handicap of Pakled half-speed in all attacks. :)

Any other suggestions for this new playable faction?
  • Options
    hawksscreamhawksscream Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to start by saying that I really enjoy STO and it's one of the 7 games I play regularly. However, I feel I need to let loose a self-indulgent rant.

I don't have a lot of money, so I tend to choose my games carefully, especially those that require a subscription fee. But, when I find a well constructed and maintained game I will pay for it and become a full member.

For example, I play LotRO. I grew up loving the Middle-Earth story line (much as I grew up loving Star Trek) and have remained a loyal fan for decades. But LotRO is run by a company that takes its job and customers seriously. Like STO, LotRO stays true to the lore (with some understandable exceptions) but it also provides a high quality gaming experience. For that reason I am a subscriber to LotRO.

I want to give STO my subscription money, but they constantly tell me that they do not want it by providing a shoddy product. I am sure that the programmers, engineers, and tech are very hard working people, doing what they can with the resources they are provided. I am equally sure that the problem is coming from the top.

How is it that one of the most successful entertainment franchises in human history (Star Trek) has teamed up with one of the most incompetent gaming companies in business today (Perfect World)?

It seems the financial power behind Star Trek would allow it to pick and choose who represents it in the MMORPG world. Instead it seems to have gone with the bargain basement group.

the franchise should demand better of the people who represent it.

OK. Sorry for the douche-bag whine session, but can we please get a better product?

I don't think you're being douche-baggy at all with this. It's well written and well thought out.

I also like what has been presented with STO, the lore behind it, the references to characters in each series and the books, and the style of the ships, the care taken into account to bring the Alpha Quadrant and Beta Quadrant to life.

However, like you, I am loathe to get a life time subscription and just play three months a year. In the first year, I sunk a lot of money into this game. I bought Caitian playable races, I bought ships, I even bought the Ferasan when they came out, and now LoR. Yet, I don't want to invest anymore thanks to the constant issues, and not just downtimes. Things like ending an STF and not being able to get rewards, or even clear out a full inventory to claim rewards.

It's a shame, because I've always enjoyed Star Trek and I loved the details put into this game.
    3560177.jpg
  • Options
    storobertpraetorstorobertpraetor Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
    This isn't reality. This is Fantasy!

Now get in the closet!

too hot, need ice cream!
  • Options
    fidelstixfidelstix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just got this game 2 nights ago and also just got the hang of all the controls etc...come home this evening to play with all my newly acquired knowledge and BAM, server down.

It was all my fault.
  • Options
    amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I want to give STO my subscription money, but they constantly tell me that they do not want it by providing a shoddy product. I am sure that the programmers, engineers, and techs are very hard working people, doing what they can with the resources they are provided. I am equally sure that the problem is coming from the top and the hard working grunts are not given the resources and funding needed to create a top-quality product.

The franchise should demand better of the people who represent it.

Actually, when Cryptic picked up STO, it was owned by Atari (a French company) not PWE and it was actually ran much worse than PWE has done. I do agree with the sentiment though, A Star Trek MMORPG should be operated by a more competent and responsible company than either PWE or Atari.
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    on an upnote, the tribble server is up and running.
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good to see brandon can join posts but not answer any questions or give details otehr than his normal canned response ones...

I guess i'll just look forward to downtime everyday this week seeing as its been virtually every day already.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    We're doing our final checks before opening up the server. Shouldn't be too much longer, Captains.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »
    Good to see brandon can join posts but not answer any questions or give details otehr than his normal canned response ones...

I guess i'll just look forward to downtime everyday this week seeing as its been virtually every day already.

That's not really fair to Brandon, he has to work within a corporate environment and can only go so far without inciting the wrath of his corrupt corporate overlords. The man has to work and can only go so far in helping the community whilst keeping his job.
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We're doing our final checks before opening up the server. Shouldn't be too much longer, Captains.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the update, Brandon. And since you guys did the maintenance tonight instead of tomorrow morning I am taking the day off work to game :)
  • Options
    kreugekreuge Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just finished the patch. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    mwildermwilder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hot off twitter........

Star Trek Online ‏@trekonlinegame 41s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OImA1k2ckiI "we're almost there Commander"
    Liberty Task Force
    "Liberty, Equality, Justice, Peace & Cooperation"

http://www.libertytaskforce.com
  • Options
    corjetcorjet Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »

Yeah! Little patches can't fix all these issues. There's something "Seriously Wrong Here!"

"You might think" that one of the things that they would quickly address is the email issue or something with the Crystalline Entity STF... Nope!

OH! I found out that I can delete IGM's from myself, just not anyone else lol Go figure!!!
  • Options
    sardiajaxsardiajax Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I realize your probably muffled from talking here much, but answer me this?

If these down times are so needed, what are we downloading every time this happens? What, exactly, is 130+ megs worth of data used for? Since i dont see much in the way of actual fixes.
  • Options
    azimeirazimeir Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look on the bright side. If this was Jurassic Park, we'd have all been eaten by now. :D
  • Options
    eafirstlasteafirstlast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

thank you for the responses
  • Options
    kreugekreuge Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sardiajax wrote: »
    I realize your probably muffled from talking here much, but answer me this?

If these down times are so needed, what are we downloading every time this happens? What, exactly, is 130+ megs worth of data used for? Since i dont see much in the way of actual fixes.

'Server Stability', heh heh.
  • Options
    chrisc85chrisc85 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's not really fair to Brandon, he has to work within a corporate environment and can only go so far without inciting the wrath of his corrupt corporate overlords. The man has to work and can only go so far in helping the community whilst keeping his job.

No no no, that's a *****'s description. If Brandon wants "fair" then he needs to act with integrity, and answer some of the communities' concerns. He needs to explain to us, as the PR guy, what's going on, and why the same basic server instability keeps happening, regardless of whether the last expansion was released months ago or days ago... the bugger goes down like clockwork no matter what.

If I had his job, I'd have quit long ago. I LIKE being good at my job, I LIKE being respected, and I'd feel wretched if I had to do this for 3+ years, the same server crashes, just a different day.

Bugs and glitches are one thing, but they are selling something that doesn't work as advertized. The only time I can play and be CERTAIN that the server won't crash is when no one is online.

but.. it's a MASSIVELY Multi...
  • Options
    john53ajohn53a Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I took time off came back to LOR and its worse than the first day of STO. I can not delete mail, get knocked off every 5 mins and when doing a space mission i end up having to start all over, the stops and stutters and all i read is we are working on the issue. Problem is I never liked the whole PerfectWorld merger thing and I knew there were problems coming.

I mean i love the game as a whole, but lately its like the excitement is gone, from the mission Candle in a Hurricane where you have to kill 3 waves of ships that takes what seems like forever to do, I do not mind the Romulan side they did a good job but all the issues I am not sure if its worth it or not. I am a LTS since day one and have tried to stat Neutral but its getting harder and harder to do.
This discussion has been closed.