test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to Log In Due to Unknown Reasons (We're investigating this)

Comments

• Options
    sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just take the server offline. It's obvious it needs some TLC.
  • Options
    mortrecmortrec Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Went to dinner, came back, crossed my fingers, and eureka! a new message. Loading character list.......connection to server timed out! Something to be said for variety!
  • Options
    omgitzstartrekomgitzstartrek Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this cant be good right? now i get this from the forums....

Database error
    The Star Trek Online database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the sto-forum.perfectworld.com home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The sto-forum.perfectworld.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would be most upset if they had regional servers to be quite honest. I have made very good friends in the United States and Australia that I would otherwise not have met, or at least not all at once. Not only that but my better half is in a different country, so I would not have met her had the servers been split in such a fashion.

As for Cryptics issues, from what I understand of the server architecture employed for games such as STO, where it shares certain hardware with other products (in this case Neverwinter Nights and Champions Online) the only hardware that is physically shared is the proxy layer.

This layer is what routes all the incoming and outgoing data packets to their correct destinations which, if my information is correct, is partly what allows people to communicate across all three of Cryptics games. Were they to increase the amount of blades in the proxy layer as well as increase the bandwidth dedicated to this hardware then we should see a massive drop in communications disruptions.

If someone with actual working knowledge of multi-platform interconnected gaming server architecture could verify this, or perhaps one of Cryptics own staff, I'd be grateful. After all, I don't want to go around making assumptions.

Regional servers wouldn't prevent people from other regions playing on servers they'd prefer. In WoW, for example, I was in a guild that had British and Australian players in it, and the server was an East Coast, USA server. Same thing with the server I am on now in WoW, players from around the world congregate on Proudmoore, even though it is an American West Coast server. And plus, with cross server communication, and the ability to team up across servers, you'd still meet people from all over. The idea was only suggested to help alleviate the problems with server stability. But, your idea works equally well. Now the true test: Getting Cryptic to actually do it.
  • Options
    stephane2258stephane2258 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just going to see how long the Server Not Responding gets up to before I get tired of it

That is just what I fear could happen in a large scale! Many didn't liked season 7 and were waiting for Legacy of Romulus to come back. If they can't, they could just decide to pass to something else. I still have hope for the game, but a MMO need players to survive.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    karcorner wrote: »
    I am playing #neverwinter right now. With my new cat cape from the catastrophe!

Maybe we'll get a fail-gift for LoR! ;)
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    While it's frustrating not to have more information... given a choice between Cryptic a) communicating with the user base, or b) fixing the damn problem, I will take b) every time. (Yeah, in an ideal world, they could do both... last time I read a newspaper, though, this wasn't an ideal world.)

I'm just going to go do something else while this gets fixed, now. And I recommend this course of action to everyone else, because we're not going to get anywhere fretting over this.

>Implying that the PR team has anything to do with the engineering team.
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    viper15777 wrote: »
    I played the beta and played for about 3 months after. I lost that account and toon so last year i started over and was happy to pay for this game and i still am.

I have played every MMO out there and did beta on most of them. I am 36 and have been a gamer for a very very long time so i am used to stuff like this happening, but this has been in beta for a few months now and they had to know that it was going to be a big thing, star trek is always a big thing and i'm sorry but they knew this would happen and should have prepared a bit better for it.

I started the pre-patch a few days ago so it only took me 5 min to patch today. I know there are a lot of gamers out there like me and knew this was going to happen and i am sure it will be taken care of as soon as they can figure out how to. I am not mad at anyone because the game is good but they could update us a little bit better. :cool:

Fixed that for you. Sort of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd sure like to know what better use you think a Community Manager would have when it comes to server hardware and game software bug fixing. :D
    Getting coffee for the programmers. A programmer, as everyone knows, is a device that converts caffeine into code. Without sufficient caffeine input, the output end suffers.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darakoss wrote: »
    Captain. The odds of a successful login are 100,979,585 to 1.

Soooo.... you're saying we have a better chance of logging in than getting the grand prize Lock box ship.
  • Options
    graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well I got to the character select screen for the second time...the first time It unknown reason'd me while 'retrieving list of maps'
  • Options
    abradaxabradax Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a lifetime subscriber, I demand that at least 1000 people log out so I can get in :)
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really thought there would be more to the game than a star rising over a spinning planet and the words

"Retrieving list of characters . . ."

How do we know when we have won?!?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    woodyice2470woodyice2470 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ye Ha im in but got server not responding when trying to go down to nekari system LOL now why does that not surprise me its all false hopes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Getting coffee for the programmers. A programmer, as everyone knows, is a device that converts caffeine into code. Without sufficient caffeine input, the output end suffers.

Oh, how cute.

You think they work in the same place. :D
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is a special message about STO Legacy of Romulus from Wilford Brimley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7tSSN2fHc
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darakoss wrote: »
    Captain. The odds of a successful login are 100,979,585 to 1.
    Never tell me the odds! (Oops, wrong captain...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    coxx7777coxx7777 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After an hour of patching, tried to login, got the bug cant login for unknown reasons. Closed game and re-opened and it is patching again. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG:eek:
  • Options
    captsabercaptsaber Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DID someone shoot the server with a plasma Torp? Why is it smoking that green stuff out of it?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chiefbrex wrote: »
    Regional servers wouldn't prevent people from other regions playing on servers they'd prefer. In WoW, for example, I was in a guild that had British and Australian players in it, and the server was an East Coast, USA server. Same thing with the server I am on now in WoW, players from around the world congregate on Proudmoore, even though it is an American West Coast server. And plus, with cross server communication, and the ability to team up across servers, you'd still meet people from all over. The idea was only suggested to help alleviate the problems with server stability. But, your idea works equally well. Now the true test: Getting Cryptic to actually do it.

I guess having played EVE Online for almost 9 years I got used to the way they, and seemingly Cryptic, do things. As for getting Cryptic to upgrade anything, I don't believe that is down to them, I believe it is PWE's move to make. They hold the purse strings, Cryptic just develop the game for them and I highly doubt they can just order PWE to buy new hardware sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    captsaber wrote: »
    DID someone shoot the server with a plasma Torp? Why is it smoking that green stuff out of it?

That's not plasma discharge, it's weed. The server hamsters are high as balls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Unknown substance
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well what costs them more money?

New servers, or all the lost costumers this big fiasco will ensure? (And the one that will inevitable result when NW goes live...)
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    skyywalk3rskyywalk3r Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :D Well im in. Just kept trying over and over. Not sure how long its going to last but heres hoping.
  • Options
    tom40stom40s Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic do you guys know what the problem is. Are your tricorders working scanners at full? How many programs are working at cryptic is it one per shift?:eek: I can be campy I am a gold member, dance cryptic engineers dance!!!!!
  • Options
    papabloodpapablood Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kimyrielle wrote: »
    The game just managed to load my characters. They are alive and kicking! Now I get stuck at "Retrieving list of maps", though. But it seems they are getting there...
    LOL been there done that even made it a little further all the way to 94.10% of the map loading before I got server not responding message for over 300 seconds then kicked and had to start over
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Target locked Captain....Alpha loaded....5,4,3,2,1.... Target dead captain, locking on next target
  • Options
    woodyice2470woodyice2470 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow 330 secs of server not responding and climbing now on 380 seconds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xvaultxdwellerx3xvaultxdwellerx3 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love how ive waited months for this addon and on the day its released I CANT ****IN PLAY BECAUSE OF SOME "UNKNOWN REASON"!!

FIX THIS BUGGY **** NOW!!
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2013

if the server is smoking green stuff it would explain the Lethargy of Romulus
  • Options
    thehellnbackthehellnback Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I reinstalled the game and I got in first try :)
This discussion has been closed.