test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Slow patching speed? Restart your launcher!

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    170mb left ..and i had game prepatched and my launcher just started to restart ...:mad: cant even patch anymore

Mine did that too but considering problems at a launch from cryptic my download speed is incredibly fast. The only time its taking is because its so large of a patch.
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deleroux wrote: »
    One word: torrent

I may as well be downloading this on my 28kbps from the 90s, as opposed to my 18mbps from now.

As I pointed out above, this is what WoW, and I *think* TOR, do. Though they wouldn't necessarily get you maximum speed as it wasn't set up to seed after you finished, and most people have FAR less upload than download.

10mbps/1mbps in my case.
  • deadmaninc84deadmaninc84 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine just stoped moving it seems at 91% I want my Romulan's dammit.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've given up trying to patch today.

I started from 46%, four and half hours later I'm still at only 72% and the patcher just resets itself over and over.

As a wise man once said: TRIBBLE this.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open the GAAATTTEEEEEE!!!

I downloaded only 400KB on 200MB of patch in 10minutes, LOL
  • poeticrexpoeticrex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is worse then a massive game launch. 10k a sec dl speeds, WTH Cryptic get off your AOL Dial up plan and give us a decent DL process. Over 4 hours and I still have not DL 250mb.
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ooo...they restarted the server and now it's ticking along again.

EDIT: Ooop...nevermind.
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *sigh*

Do you want to know what the problem is?

It's everyone rushing back onto the server now that the content is out.

And there I was thinking Slashdotting went out with the 90's.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *sigh*

No I strive to keep it going :P
  • istianisistianis Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    ill give up the thought of playing today as well.

821 Mb to go after 4 hours and speed still like in 1990
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We are also investigating reports of slow patching and are working on a resolution.

Slow !!!!!! the tide go's in and out faster.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    graptor wrote: »
    As I pointed out above, this is what WoW, and I *think* TOR, do. Though they wouldn't necessarily get you maximum speed as it wasn't set up to seed after you finished, and most people have FAR less upload than download.

10mbps/1mbps in my case.

And yet, even considering all that, it is a superior, faster, more stable and reliable method than... this.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a semi regular TOR player, I know for a fact that they have their own P2P/torrent service with their launcher.

When Rise of the Hutt Cartel (think that was the name) expansion launched, I never had under 1Mb/s and it topped at around 5.5Mb/s. Went really smooth.

The Cryptic launcher has allways been slow-ish, but atleast the DL speeds are in the acceptabe range most of the time. But not so much after NW launched.

After NW launched, the patching has been generally a not so good experience, with a few patches somehow having a lightening fast DL speed, but most are exceptionally slow and dreary experiences.

Something has gone a bit pearshaped with the patch servers I'm afraid, and it seems that Cryptic tries to fix the damned thing, without much sucess.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We are also investigating reports of slow patching and are working on a resolution.

Slow !!!!!! the tide go's in and out faster.

They should have worked on a resolution six months ago. A little late now.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • itsfr0s7yitsfr0s7y Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, it's painful how slow this is going. Been waiting for this last 200MB to download for about 3 hours now.
  • rudiefix1rudiefix1 Member Posts: 420
    edited May 2013
    This is so enormously frustrating. Patching with speeds less than we had 15-20 years ago when we used our old phonelines with the dailing modem sounds. not to mention connection loss

*sigh*

They should know better and reserved more server capacity...

I hope they do more than "investigating reports"

Oh and it would be also nice if I get an answer about my steamrunner package, which I submitted for 2 weeks ago
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
    @rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
    @rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
  • zopar1zopar1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine has been slow as well. I started a new character yesterday and everytime it logs on it patches, and then again when it logs off. Now I fired it up around 3:10 and its now 4:11 and its still patching. It seems there are multiple patches, one was like 250 mb and this one is 125 mb and its taking forever. Normally a 100mb file would be like a 2 minute download, this is ridiculous!

I was thinking of spending some $$ on this game, but maybe not now. :mad:
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was under the impression that the game should have been pre patching every time I logged off.

Seems it wasn't, although I was also under the impression that lifetimers / gold subbers should get preferential treatment ;)

not that im saying f2ps can go hang buuuuuuuuut.
    edited May 2013
    *sigh*

Actually the problem is they don't use a Bittorrent based P2P patching system to prevent that being a problem.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An additional thought. There were issues on Tribble aswell, and there it seemed to slow down on the intro_rom.bik file for most. I'm willing to bet that it's the same issue we are seeing when patching Holo now...

But seriously Cryptic, get a P2P/torrent launcher, will make things way smoother for all, and less trouble for your engineering team, who does not have Scotty to help them out :P

Edit: Upon checking, I'm currently stuck with the DL of the intro_rom.bik file. It's downloading but it goes a snails pace, and has been for the last 2 hrs. Launcher has been showing 96.7% all that time. :mad:
  • drizzecdrizzec Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Launcher is patching extremely slow. It has taken over 3 hours to download and patch 4 meg of the nearly 2 gig patch. Of course it has restarted the patch twice in as well on it's own.:mad:
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's pass the time by singing a little song .... all together now

"10 million bottles of Romulan Ale standing on the wall
    10 million bottles of Romulan Ale standing on the wall
    and if one bottle of Romulan Ale should accidently fall
    There'll be 9,999,999 bottles of Romulan Ale standing on the wall .... "
  • masadacomasadaco Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So... there are 3 Cryptic MMO's now each with a $15 subscription, but... anytime you're patching one of them you can't play any of them. In fact, lately, it's been a case of one being down and all of them are down. As a consumer of all 3 games off and on and sometimes all at once, I have to say that is poor service and essentially drives me to your competitors.

Today is a big launch. My expectations are pretty low for a launch day, but I don't find it acceptable that everything you sell is down as a result.

I suppose I'll skip the patch for the game I'm actually paying for (STO) and just dink around with the beta.
    edited May 2013
    otowi wrote: »
    An additional thought. There were issues on Tribble aswell, and there it seemed to slow down on the intro_rom.bik file for most. I'm willing to bet that it's the same issue we are seeing when patching Holo now...

But seriouslt Cryptic, get a P2P/torrent launcher, will make things way smoother for all, and less trouble for you engineering team, who does not have Scotty to help them out :P

Intro_rom.bik? That's a bink format video file...so there's why that one bogs down. it's probably huge, relatively speaking.

And already compressed, so you can't really 'speed up' the transfer by compressing it in transit
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm cancelling my gold sub for STO this week... no point in me continuing on as a subscriber when i have no interest in the romulan race, and even if I did I would not want to go through that whole useless grind fest at the end game for "reputation".
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • goldmountain1goldmountain1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Taken me about an hour to get 100MB (3%), Left it running in the background.
    My usual download speed is 600-800kB/s, so the download server must be overloaded.

It's peak time across all of the USA, which is where the server is located, so obviously me in the UK gets shunted down to the bottom of the list.
  • drizzecdrizzec Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well after about 5 hours of patching I finally got about 7 meg of the nearly 2 gig patch done. At this rate I will be able to login in about a month. since after a couple hours it the patcher restarts and starts all over take about 30 minutes to get to the point where it was when it restarted, then slows to even slower crawl.
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    I'm cancelling my gold sub for STO this week... no point in me continuing on as a subscriber when i have no interest in the romulan race, and even if I did I would not want to go through that whole useless grind fest at the end game for "reputation".

I just called this for you :D
    http://comerecommended.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/wambulance1.jpeg
    Joined August 2009
    edited May 2013
    Taken me about an hour to get 100MB (Left it running in the background)
    My usual download speed is 600-800kB/s

I'm getting less than half that and my max download speed's around 1mb/s. When it doesn't just ditch all progress and restart.

In short, a download that could've been finished in 3 1/3rd minutes or so has been going for over an hour and a half with basically no progress...
  • vantheman77vantheman77 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running into this same problem that while my internet is good, the patching is slow. I'm passing up the time to write Star Trek fanfic stories involving my characters from Star Trek Online.
This discussion has been closed.