test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Slow patching speed? Restart your launcher!

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    graptor wrote: »
    I'm getting less than half that and my max download speed's around 1mb/s. When it doesn't just ditch all progress and restart.

In short, a download that could've been finished in 3 1/3rd minutes or so has been going for over an hour and a half with basically no progress...

Took me about 20 mins to get 80% of it down and then this last 20% is going super slow lol.
  • goldmountain1goldmountain1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am currently on the 4361MB patch, if there are multiple ones, it seems like the whole game is being re downloaded.
    edited May 2013
    I am currently on the 4361MB patch, if there are multiple ones, it seems like the whole game is being re downloaded.

To some degree it is being re downloaded lol with the way a lot of the game is being overhauled.
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Took me about 20 mins to get 80% of it down and then this last 20% is going super slow lol.

I'm guessing that was because the first 80% of it was stuff that either only needed to be verified or was prepatched and only needed to be unpacked...and that last bit is the part you didn't have.

The patch servers are tremendously overloaded... if they were using bittorrent like they SHOULD be, even that wouldn't cause this.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    masadaco wrote: »
    So... there are 3 Cryptic MMO's now each with a $15 subscription, but... anytime you're patching one of them you can't play any of them. In fact, lately, it's been a case of one being down and all of them are down. As a consumer of all 3 games off and on and sometimes all at once, I have to say that is poor service and essentially drives me to your competitors.

Today is a big launch. My expectations are pretty low for a launch day, but I don't find it acceptable that everything you sell is down as a result.

I suppose I'll skip the patch for the game I'm actually paying for (STO) and just dink around with the beta.

Hmmmm. I have to agree with you on this one. I played this game in beta - loved it. It was challenging. Then by retail launch they dumbed it down to the point where three packleds and a ferengi could defeat anything while AFK and still win.

I bought the life time membership BEFORE the nerfs and dumbdown feeling happened.

I left the game. I cussed cryptic from left to right and forgot the name, "Star Trek Online." I told myself I lost $360.00 and I left it at that (technically it was $299.99 + $59.99 and tax). Over 1100 days later, my guild gets very excited about Neverwinter. I did not want to play another fantasy MMO ... especially one made by Cryptic. However, I played. To it's credit, the game is not bad. The foundry is incredible. I later found out, that the Foundry is a product of STO and its actually a bit more advance in here.

Fast forward a few more days... to this past Sunday. Exploiters in Neverwinter forced the game to crash and the devs pumped their resources into fixing a broken economy. I got extremely bored this last Sunday. I started to browse the internet and my emails when someone mentioned I got free "ZEN" every month on STO.

I was curious enough to check.... after some research I found out that there are TONS of content... a difficulty scale... fleet/group battles and some awesome looking ships. Best of all, a new patch which brings new ships and a semi faction into the game. I could not play - and I am very busy at work. However, I am off Thursday thru Monday... time to re-visit my Star Trek Online.

I would never have discovered STO is Neverwinter did not go down.

SO.... good things can happen when Cryptic turns the servers off. Then there was this other time... a red head, a tribble, and an orc met a bar because another server crash; but that, my friends, is a tale best told later.
  • holibrae581#2435 holibrae581 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's an issue with so many people trying to download at once. The server is probably over taxed at this point.
    Zadesca - 23c Andorian Eng Officer
    Raychul - Remen Sci Officer
    Lumba - Ferengi Eng Officer
    Vadesca - Orion Eng Officer
    AKA: Yavin_Prime
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013

...and if i wanted a comment from a PWE/Cryptic brownnoser i would have called Cryptics head office...
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • itsthebishopitsthebishop Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Over 2 hours. 39MB DL'd 316.4/2215MB patched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Romulan Praetorian Guard
    Original join date:January 2010
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, my patching has become very slow. When I started to patch the game, around two hours ago, I was making pretty strong and steady progress. Once I hit the 75% completion mark, the launcher stalled and restarted patching. "Star Trek: Online" did save my progress, so I didn't have to start from scratch.

I am currently sitting at 62MB our of 1592MB. During a normal weekly patch application, I can update the game within less than five minutes. I went from making steady megabyte progress to slow kilobyte progress.
    edited May 2013
    graptor wrote: »
    I'm guessing that was because the first 80% of it was stuff that either only needed to be verified or was prepatched and only needed to be unpacked...and that last bit is the part you didn't have.

The patch servers are tremendously overloaded... if they were using bittorrent like they SHOULD be, even that wouldn't cause this.

Naw I'd say maybe the way it looked starting out that 600-800 mb of it was pre patched but now its stalling out at about 550 mb from being finished. Good time to watch some tv i guess while it finishes in the next month or so lol.
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maybe cryptic could toss up a certified torrent all prepatched and the fans and users could download it and help out.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mine just moved,,,,,,, .1% in 35 min,,,,,,,,,,sod this im off to annoy the wife then she might leave me alone tomorrow and i can have another go,,,,,,,,
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    ...and if i wanted a comment from a PWE/Cryptic brownnoser i would have called Cryptics head office...

So much QQ

Oh wait, you thought raging on the forums would get you anything but laughter and ridicule??

You must be new here.:D
    Joined August 2009
  • c0mbustiblelemonc0mbustiblelemon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    all cryptic launchers don't work for me after the patch for NW and STO ...
    anyone know what's going on? i haven't changed anything... i still run it as administrator and such.
    thanks
  • xero328xero328 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Patching for 45 min...81.4 mb complete (4%) and 185.2 of 3821

something is WRONG

I have seen this too many times, and I usually just patch the following day...But I actually have work tomorrow and that leaves thurs as next day I can play for more than 20 min...Which of course is when they r going to patch again.

Lifer, here since beta, run 3 fleets, and got stiffed already on buying the legacy pack BEFORE they added the new ship...Was not able to tribbletest it, so i have paid for something I cannot use yet.

Not happy. Tempted to open youtube or something while I wait, but that'd probably slow me down, right?
  • xero328xero328 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Yeah, my patching has become very slow. When I started to patch the game, around two hours ago, I was making pretty strong and steady progress. Once I hit the 75% completion mark, the launcher stalled and restarted patching. "Star Trek: Online" did save my progress, so I didn't have to start from scratch.

I am currently sitting at 62MB our of 1592MB. During a normal weekly patch application, I can update the game within less than five minutes. I went from making steady megabyte progress to slow kilobyte progress.

Have the same problem, except I still have3000 to go am at 5% atm
  • jadenmiajadenmia Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problems with the patcher don't stop at patching slowly. Sometimes the patch never completes and even resets, rather then simply patch slowly. This patching behavioral problem has already shown up before todays (may 21st) release date. This is a problems that has shown up off and on since the launch of the game more then 3 years ago. The plain simple reality is, you have never fixed these bugs to begin with.
  • masadacomasadaco Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SO.... good things can happen when Cryptic turns the servers off. Then there was this other time... a red head, a tribble, and an orc met a bar because another server crash; but that, my friends, is a tale best told later..

I'd be right there with ya if the games were operating independently, but so far the rule has been that when any one of them is patching or simply down, then all 3 games are either unplayable because you have to wait for the one patch, or because they're all down.

One of the key reasons I pick a diversity of games is so I can play when I sit down and not have to wait for patches or be completely knocked out by downtime.

I like all 3. They aren't the best ever, but they're good and each has something I enjoy. But if I can't enjoy any of them when I sit down, then I'll be banging up SWTOR or Eve or trusty Steam... in short I'll be going to competitors. As a business product manager, I would try avoid forcing my customers to competitors by design.
    edited May 2013
    xero328 wrote: »
    Patching for 45 min...81.4 mb complete (4%) and 185.2 of 3821

something is WRONG

I have seen this too many times, and I usually just patch the following day...But I actually have work tomorrow and that leaves thurs as next day I can play for more than 20 min...Which of course is when they r going to patch again.

Lifer, here since beta, run 3 fleets, and got stiffed already on buying the legacy pack BEFORE they added the new ship...Was not able to tribbletest it, so i have paid for something I cannot use yet.

Not happy. Tempted to open youtube or something while I wait, but that'd probably slow me down, right?

What's wrong is they're running an early 2000s-era direct-HTTP-only patching system that doesn't have enough bandwidth.

The problem is on THEIR end. Almost all of YOUR bandwidth is unused, so you can in fact youtube or do whatever without really affecting it.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    in all honesty did anyone actually expect it to work,,,,,,,,,,i for one did not,,,,but i still tried,,,,,,,,lol
    edited May 2013
    in all honesty did anyone actually expect it to work,,,,,,,,,,i for one did not,,,,but i still tried,,,,,,,,lol

I expected lots of problems, and was extremely skeptical that the server would go up on time. Modem level download speeds were not on the list of things that I expected, especially since I started final patching many hours before it was scheduled to go live.
  • captainpetey001captainpetey001 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nandospc wrote: »
    Yeah, im downloading last 200mb at 2kb/s... wth cryptic :confused:

Ah, so I'm not the only one.
    edited May 2013
    xero328 wrote: »
    Have the same problem, except I still have3000 to go am at 5% atm

Mines moving a lil bit faster seems like there was some update to the launcher itself it needed to download to start moving again.
  • jenel79jenel79 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly don't get this. I got home from work, started up the client a couple of hours ago and downloaded the last 2gb that I needed of the patch no problem, it then updates and needs another 128mb which as everybody else has stated is taking forever, what gives? Are these some sort of super pampered megabytes, that get motion sickness and can only travel at 1kbs?
  • trixiefantrixiefan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With how slow this current 128mb patch is going I hope there's not going to be another one after this.
  • kemis1983kemis1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well I've went from needing 559mb to 6.6gb since closing an opening the launcher... Im about to kill some mofos
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At my current download speed my download will finish some time NEXT WEEK!

C R Y P T I C !!?!?!?!?! W T F !??!??!?!?!
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • thowasthowas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is something that Cryptic has been aware of for some time now.
    Their system for patching is obsolete and goes down to riduculus level of transfer speed when more than 1000 people connect to it.

What is even more riduculus is, that they have done nothing about it, prepatches... but that does not help when there are still too many trying to download from the http patchserver.

Make the patches downloadable with torrent technology and installable, this will speed things up for everyone, and a patch like this wouldn't take more than 1? -2 hours usually, probably faster for us with high speed internet.

And it would be easy to setup for the people at cryptic... I hope. :-D
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kemis1983 wrote: »
    well I've went from needing 559mb to 6.6gb since closing an opening the launcher... Im about to kill some mofos

I also made the mistake of restarting my launcher. It didn't keep my progress, which was a whole 40 MB in about an hour and a half time.

Cryptic fix your ****!!!!

Now I don't have the best internet but earlier today on the same computer, I DL'd Civ 5 at 670 mb/s in about an hour and a half or two hours. Couldn't run it sadly. My main gaming PC just bit the dust yesterday thanks to these freak storms. Suppose it's better than being carried away by a tornado. But I haven't played STO on that computer in 2 years, so I have even more patching than most other people, and guess what, it's at freakin dial-up speeds!

(On my even crappier laptop while posting)
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • alpha8no0nealpha8no0ne Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I launched my patcher at 11:30 and it had 10 gb to patch. It got to 98% in less than 15 min and then stopped entirely. It has been TWO and half hours... it just ticked over to 99... so uh, see you at 4:30? :( I could go see Star Trek Into Darkness again and I'm guessing it will be patched when I get back?
This discussion has been closed.