test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Slow patching speed? Restart your launcher!

thomasv6545thomasv6545 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
patching is extreemly slow , usualy its fast
one may not always recieve what one expected
Post edited by thomasv6545 on

Comments

• Options
    spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First it did not even get to 0% so I restarted the launcher, then it got to 57.8% and its stopped. advice?
  • Options
    modesixmodesix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait it out, the patch servers are getting hammered
  • Options
    istianisistianis Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    only advice is patience , unless someone uploaded the prepatch folder :)
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My patcher appears to be dead. What a surprise.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    sanctusmortisanctusmorti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a 100mb using state of the art routers and a good computer and mine is going slow too.

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that if everyone else is hammering the servers its going to take time.

The Interweb is only as fast as its slowest link and at the moment 10,000 fat guys are attempting to go through the same door. :D
  • Options
    jacrelljacrell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So my friend and I both live in the same region, my DL speed was fine his is REALLY slow even though we have the same service provider and same net speed. He performed a speed test and it shows as all is fine. Anyone have any ideas what could be preventing him DLing at normal speed please?

Thanks
  • Options
    colonelsinkcolonelsink Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been stuck on the last 20 megs for the last 3 hours. I prepatched and tribble up to date. I always get boned like this on launches of big games that i have been looking forward too.
  • Options
    borg9870borg9870 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont seem to be able to resume patching after closing the client or loosing the internet connection, is this even possible?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    no idea , i wonder if there are people right now that have great dl speeds of the patch.

Mine is crawling too.
  • Options
    dwadsdwaddwadsdwad Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im having terribly slow speeds.

Its taken 2 hours to download 2gb. Considoring im on a 50mb broadband ISP which typically gives me speeds of 2mb-4mb/s its going pretty slow...

Reminds me of the good old dial up 56k days...
  • Options
    rebel230rebel230 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah this is ridiculous
  • Options
    xwipedacxxwipedacx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im downloading the Patch with 30-100kbit/s really annoying since i already patched last night 10gig.And it says only 212mb left .. so i need like 5 more hours for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dwadsdwad wrote: »
    Im having terribly slow speeds.

Its taken 2 hours to download 2gb. Considoring im on a 50mb broadband ISP which typically gives me speeds of 2mb-4mb/s its going pretty slow...

Reminds me of the good old dial up 56k days...

except in those days you had other ways to get a patch....
  • Options
    m0peygoffm0peygoff Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was at 91% when I walked away for about 10 minutes. Came back to a nice crash report screen. Restarted, it's just got to 51% on a 400 mb patch (I assume what's left after the crash).

It was super slow earlier - I've been patching since about 11:00AM Eastern time. I did play on tribble but was not on for about 3-4 days. Looks like that earned me a full patch.

In the time it took for me to write this post it went up to 52%.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    serlo371serlo371 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine are terrible as well...so incredibly slow, will be luck to be playing by tonight.:mad:
  • Options
    itsthebishopitsthebishop Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would think Cryptic would use some sort of scale-able cloud architecture for the patch server. This seems like it's running of the Raspberry Pi in my den.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Romulan Praetorian Guard
    Original join date:January 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oh for those who didnt know , the patch server is actually a msart phone on G3 network :p
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive played swg, wow, tor, and have had huge patches before, but some reason STO patches take so dam long to download.. they really need to do something about this.. just ridiculous to download a patch for over hours an hours... get with the times cryptic.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    sweetblood04sweetblood04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Slow as molasses. Have a great speed otherwise .
  • Options
    saberythsaberyth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I spent a good 3 hours downloading 20% of the patch, only to have it freeze. Restarted, and it just craaaaaaaaawls. I'm likely just going to give up and try tomorrow, but Cryptic really dropped the ball on this one.
  • Options
    allanastarallanastar Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been downloaing and patching the last 128 meg for 6 hours now what gives I have verizon fios quantuam connection of 300 mps.

that should not have taken even 60 secs
  • Options
    thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump...not gonna say anything new...same stuff, slow speed...blah blah.....geez with all the money that just I have given them I could've bought a server.....
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After all the pre-patching it still needs 163MB. Cryyyyyypppppppttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc!
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive played swg, wow, tor, and have had huge patches before, but some reason STO patches take so dam long to download.. they really need to do something about this.. just ridiculous to download a patch for over hours an hours... get with the times cryptic.

WoW at least (And TOR? I forget) uses a bittorrent based system to speed up patching.

What happens is, everyone that's downloading also uploads the bits they've finished downloading to other people. This means that every time someone new starts downloading, their upload bandwidth gets added to the pool as soon as they've got a complete segment. The more people that're downloading, the more bandwidth there is.

Sure, you could turn it off, and sure, there was a direct HTTP download that it used as well (or exclusively if you were late and everyone had downloaded it already). And most people have far less upload than download... but it also meant that no matter how many people were downloading at once, nobody got stuck with modem speeds.

You might not hit your max download speed, but you were going to get SOME reasonable fraction of it.

Cryptic obviously does not do this, because this is pathetic.

Granted, this only helps people that don't have a moronic ISP that assumes all bittorrent is piracy and try to block it...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i have said it before and will again , just wished the community had actually uploaded a full prepatch folder....

It would have solved alot of peoples headaches.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    94% in 30 min,,,,,,,,,,,,3% in 2.5 hours,,,,,,,,,,what a joke..........
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would think Cryptic would use some sort of scale-able cloud architecture for the patch server. This seems like it's running of the Raspberry Pi in my den.

One word: torrent

I may as well be downloading this on my 28kbps from the 90s, as opposed to my 18mbps from now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    I've "pre-patched", but now I have to patch again a whooping 6gig of stuff.

Assuming nothing went berserk, I feel bad for the guy that didn't prepare.

Its not all aboyt didnt prepare , me and many others actually had it crash every time halfway the download.

My last try crashed out at 62% so i am now trying to get the last 38 % done.

4 hours of dl for 1.5Gb of data is stone age speeds :)
This discussion has been closed.