What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pre-Patch Freezing

Comments

• Options
    meleepayne2meleepayne2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have this freakin 5963 MB patch going on, i've been waiting a total of 4 hours and its only made it to 50%, every 2 seconds it increases by .1 MB. Whats with the slow as TRIBBLE speed? i have perfectly good internet and it is FAR from being the problem.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine wont patch at all. Consider yourselves lucky. :(
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malek3 wrote: »
    Is it just me? Every time I go to log in to Holodeck, I have to wait for patching of about 3500mb. It goes fairly fast, but why over and over everytime I log in? Any insight? Anybody?
    The 'Pre-patch' doesn't grab everything at once. Instead it only grabs a small chunk at a time so you don't have to wait hours for it to finish.
  • Options
    moonwater2moonwater2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have tried all the options mentioned. Disabled patch on demand. Constantly crashing at 46 percent (5 a tries so far). After disabling patch on demand and restarting the launcher I got past 50 percent and then CRYPTIC ERROR CRASH. Unbelievable. They better figure this TRIBBLE out. Im not wasting any more time on trying to update this game.
  • Options
    yeolleryeoller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The 'Pre-patch' doesn't grab everything at once. Instead it only grabs a small chunk at a time so you don't have to wait hours for it to finish.

I really think they meant the initial patch everytime you log in, which is actually 3500kB... >.>
  • Options
    lykenstrifelykenstrife Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So that's what that Five Gig patch is? lol and here I thought it was just me going crazy so it's a pre-patch for Legacy AWESOME.. too bad I can't really use the content until what the 21st.. ><
  • Options
    meleepayne2meleepayne2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank god that the patch actualy picks off from where you leave off, mine crashed and i thought i had to start over from 5000 mb again. whew.
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes I just got about 54% of the download veryslowly on a 12mbps connection with no troubles and just about within past 20 mins @ 54% it restarted itself :mad::mad::mad: please get this fixed, yes badly it is very very slow
  • Options
    ewtasticewtastic Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the ISP that hosts STO has throttled international speeds which means everyone that isnt located within the borders of wherever its located will get **** low speeds. 500KB/s seems to be the maximum allowed speed.

And i have a 100/100Mbit/s line in sweden which gives roughly 60~Mbit/s download speeds over the atlantic.

Terrible.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, even with the "new" STO launcher, the Pre-Patcher just quits before the download is complete.

It's still a complete fail.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    ansyxansyx Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Out of curiosity (and thx to the fact that my bandwidth is without limits) i tried the new launcher to see if the pre patch completed (i've tried this thing already around 10 times with all possible options activated/deactivated).

Result : failed AGAIN at 95% with a crash :eek:

really it's the first time i see a thing like this in a mmorpg.. oh .. wait.. even season 7 launch was a funny event filled with server downtime due to emergency patches and bugs..

Congrats!

btw i guess you'll fix this some days after the official launch.. as usual..

Now i'm tired of this crappy pre patch failure.. i will close the window every time till the official launch date. I've enough!

As i already said in a previous post u could do this thing in many ways.. this was the worst.. next time use torrent files.. or a system that allows to restart a blocked download recovering all the possible from the previous one.. restart from 0 every time is simply stupid considering the amount of Gigs involved and the low speed of the server.
  • Options
    jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its happening to me too, i guess we all will be patching on the day it goes live, which is not very good at all, everything will be slow as hell.
  • Options
    moonwater2moonwater2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I said I was done trying to complete the crashing patch but I was going to bed and thought "what the heck give it one more shot while sleeping". It completed! Patch on demand was disabled. No cryptic error crash. I'm thinking "great"! Let's see what happens when I log OUT of game... a 9GIG patch starts?!? Are ya kidding me? What the heck are they thinking down at game operations? Why after a 5 gig patch do we need a 9 gig patch? O.O Of course I just closed the dang window.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Count me in as well. Currently I'm at *opens laptop* 51% of a 5405mb patch. Why does everyone seem to have a different sized patch? <.<

I disabled on demand patching and force verify the files. Had it crash at 46% before, now it passed that mark. I'm European if that is important.

Oh, and those 51% took roughly four and a half hours...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank god that the patch actualy picks off from where you leave off, mine crashed and i thought i had to start over from 5000 mb again. whew.
    Seems like my desktop wasn't so lucky. Before the fix, when the prepatcher froze, I was at 35%. Now I'm starting all over again today, seemingly. And I didn't mess with the previous patch folder or anything.

Edit: Hitting CTRL-X on the patcher, the window seems to indicate that DL speed from the server is throttled at 500KB. This is probably to ensure enough people get proper bandwidth for downloading, but due to the sheer size of the patch for existing players, it will probably take the better part of a day to complete - providing the patcher doesn't crash and erase all of my progress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ewtastic wrote: »
    the ISP that hosts STO has throttled international speeds which means everyone that isnt located within the borders of wherever its located will get **** low speeds. 500KB/s seems to be the maximum allowed speed.

And i have a 100/100Mbit/s line in sweden which gives roughly 60~Mbit/s download speeds over the atlantic.

Terrible.

Wow, I would so love getting 60Mbit/s, I currently get a mere 6Mbit or something...so please, stop complaining..
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeoller wrote: »
    Do you mean 3500kb? Because mine does that too. Haven't paid much attention to it.

I'm actually having an issue getting the prepatch. It starts but only gets to about 2mb then freezes. Anyone have any idears?

No, I mean the 5.8GB when you exit the game, but today ive loaded game up 3 times and each time its downloaded a 3mb patch as well.
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it froze for me too. now its just extreeeeeeeeemly slow. im at 50% for more 20 mins now, but its climbing (0.1%s). just extremly slowly... in any case: cryptic cant make it work i guess.
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Left my computer on and mine seems to have finished. Logged in & out of the game, and it doesn't even pop up anymore. Prepatch folder seems to be ~4.8GB, so not 9GB it claimed on the pre-patcher, seemingly. Maybe the 9GB is the total amount of files to be patched when the patch installs on the 21st.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's normal. Actual download size should almost always be smaller than the listed amount because a lot of those files are "packaged", similar to a ZIP or RAR, but in a format specific to the game/company.

When mine crapped out at 46%, the true downloaded total in my folder was 1.82 gig.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine worked :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The "Disable on-demand patching and force verify" trick seems to be working for me. At least I got past 46.5% point. Currently 57.6% and counting. Let's hope it will work all the way.

EDIT: Scratch that. After exiting game launcher popped up again and again started downloading from 0% and again stuck at 46.5%. :(
  • Options
    ademayafcademayafc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried all of the options and nothing has worked :(
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scrap that my last post.. crashed at 54%. this will never work until they think of smth else.
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same here 54%,the launcher just closes,i dont get cryptic error crash report thing just nothing
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well at this point im just completely lost. For me in the last few days the launcher has been saying it needs a 5gig patch and iv done this 3 times and every time it freezes at 36%, and have lost about 6gigs, so maybe it is patching but at the same time it freezes. Iv been reading the forums on this issue and iv tried one option to Disable on demand patching, restarted my launcher and once again its patching. For the first time it hasent froze and im now at 72% and still going:D another 4gigs lost:mad:So if you havent done it yet try disabling on demand patching, at the moment its working for me. IM just not sure after it completes should uncheck on demand patching? This is the only and last option im trying, and at this point im just gunna wait for the actual launch of LOR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    himble42himble42 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've always had on-demand patching disabled. Tried force verifying files. Still crashes when trying to patch.
    Himble_zps0106667a.jpg
  • Options
    tnaivtnaiv Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here.
    And if I try to disable download by demand and force verify, it downloads everything (5890MB) and it seems ok. But, when I get back into the game and exit, it verifies everything again and download starts again again again.

I also have download limits. High, but I can't do it 10 times (I've tried about 5 or 6 attempts).
  • Options
    aussiejamaussiejam Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've just purchased the Romulan starter pack and it's giving me an option to download the client through a torrent.
    Can anyone confirm if this is the patched client. Common sense says it is but... you never know.
    I'd rather not waste what "little" download limit I have.

Hey Cryptic. Why not offer just the patch on torrent to take the load off your patch servers.

~Edit - I just started the client torrent and it's only 3.32gb so it's most likely not even a patched client.
  • Options
    kennymkcormickkennymkcormick Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you download the tribble patch then download the new patch it downloads fine i just did that and it works like a charm > :D