What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pre-Patch Freezing

Comments

• Options
    ty8839ty8839 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I rather hope they release a fix for this very quickly, due to bandwidth limitations (and shared internet), I CANNOT be downloading the entire 4gb patch all at once :(
  • Options
    buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's the reply I got from Perfect World:

Hello!

Please try the following suggestions first. They are common solutions to issues with the game, and also in doing so, it helps us narrow down the possible cause of your issue.

In the Launcher, go to Options and check 'Disable On-Demand' patching. See if this works.

You can then try to 'Force-Verify' to make sure your files are not corrupt or missing.

You can also try to run in Safe Mode as well.

Here are some other possible solutions if you have not already done so:

Make sure the game and your drivers (graphics, network, sound, motherboard, etc) are fully updated.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access (right-click and select run as administrator) to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You can try trying the compatibility mode of the game launcher. Right-click, go to properties, and go to the Compatibility tab. Check the 'Run this program in....." and try different modes, such as XP Compatibly mode.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

Stop any processes that may be interfering with the networking and causing issues with your connection.

Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster.

**You may also need to close programs such as Teamviewer, DisplayFusion, and Mumble

You may need to uninstall the game, making sure to remove any excess files, then re-install it.

If the above does not work, please respond with answers to the following:

1) What exactly did you try from the above, and what were the results? (If you have tried them already, let us know exactly which you have tried)

Regards,

The Perfect World Tech Support Team

I'll post an update if any of this works...

As usual, we users are expected to jump through hoops and commit unnatural acts just to get something they did to work. Well I'm not doing it! Not this time. Here's a novel idea Cryptic...Just fix the thing so it works like it's supposed to!
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm lost... The patch completed, but now after logging out I got a pre-patch of almost 10 Gb. Like WTF ?!? Cryptic...
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    mbp101287mbp101287 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was stuck at 47.5% for a couple hours yesterday. Needed to work on my computer so i said f$%k it and closed the client and shut down. Got back on last night and it started prepatching again even though I had disabled on-demand patching. However, I noticed that it was only calling for a total patch size of ~2.8 gigs now, not the over 5 gigs it had been saying. Looks like mine did save the already-downloaded data so I didn't start from 0. Idk what I may have done that fixed it, if anything, but it apparently finished patching while I was asleep last night, cuz I'm logged into the game right now.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, I'm having trouble too.

1st attempt got to 46% then froze on me. So I close the launcher, re-open it, launch the game then close the client and...nothing, not even 1%. I follow a suggestion on here about disabling the pre-patch function, close then re-open the launcher. Before opening the game it installed something, it was around 3K MB and not the 5K MB it tried to install originally.

So I think whatever and launch the game. I have just closed it and now there is a 10K MB patch trying to download!? At this point I have no idea what is going on. Chances are I'll have little time to play with RL commitments so I'm close to just not bothering with it at all.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disabling pre-patching means you have to download EVERYTHING which is where the other extra gig come from. It's grabbing all that stuff where you'd beam into say DS9 for the first time and it says "patching 60 files" or what have you.

It's also not a remotely realistic solution for anyone anywhere in the world on an internet plan with limited bandwidth. I have a 10 gig a month plan, if the only solution becomes "grab a 9 gig patch", that literally means I have no choice but to never play the game again.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disabling pre-patching means you have to download EVERYTHING which is where the other extra gig come from. It's grabbing all that stuff where you'd beam into say DS9 for the first time and it says "patching 60 files" or what have you.

It's also not a remotely realistic solution for anyone anywhere in the world on an internet plan with limited bandwidth. I have a 10 gig a month plan, if the only solution becomes "grab a 9 gig patch", that literally means I have no choice but to never play the game again.

Damn, tough break there dude.

But thanks for cleaning that up, I turned the feature back on and lo and behold I'm back to square one. Seems to have ignored the patch I've just downloaded and now it's trying to get the 5 gig one going again and freezing up.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My best bet at this point is to wait for the LoR launch and hope it patches normally then.

If not... well, that's that pretty much.

My main concern is wanting to know if I should delete the broken, unfinished pre-patch folder or not. I would hate to have it cause a second mess up by leaving it there if it could be easily avoided.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    en40rceren40rcer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, have you guys heard, there seems to be some issue with the patching before you get in the game and AFTER you log out. Imagine that. Well, at least I know now, it ain't just me.

Left my machine on over night to get the after game patch..so, after eight hours of "processing", yep..you guessed it..nothing. The first patch took over six hours on a cable broadband.
  • Options
    kakarot069kakarot069 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im slightly happy im not the only one who is going through this.

i really hope something is done about this
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was wondering...so I am not the only one the pre-patch is failing on?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    mccarthaighmccarthaigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here. The prepatch keeps freezing even with the browser closed, the firewall down, and pre-patching disabled. Argh.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kakarot069 wrote: »
    im slightly happy im not the only one who is going through this.

You and me both.

Since we're all shouting out numbers, I'll take the liberty of adding - 37% on the after-exiting the game 'patch' before it froze and that's the furtherest I've gotten on any attempt...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    buzzout wrote: »
    As usual, we users are expected to jump through hoops and commit unnatural acts just to get something they did to work. Well I'm not doing it! Not this time. Here's a novel idea Cryptic...Just fix the thing so it works like it's supposed to!

The real problem is that the reply is just a cut & paste that covers normal patching issues, not the S8 pre-patcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic posted in the other thread that they've released a new launcher that supposedly fixes the problem. Can anyone confirms if it works?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic posted in the other thread that they've released a new launcher that supposedly fixes the problem. Can anyone confirms if it works?
    For reference for those of us who don't check every thread; which 'other thread' are you talking about?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you are right, can sum1 plz post a link to a launcher? And i just wanted to say that its been 3 days about 3 times a day im trying to DL the Pre-Patch, the first time it froze at 42% and now it it dont go past 0%. All i no is, i hope this gets fixxed for the ones like you and me, cuz this is not happening to every1. When the day of the launch of LOR i really hope it not like this:confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For reference for those of us who don't check every thread; which 'other thread' are you talking about?

Found it in the Dev Tracker :)
    We've released a new launcher that should address the issue with pre-patch not completing.
    You will need to restart your launcher, and the next pre-patch will complete as expected.

If you are not able to auto-update the launcher, you can download a new one here:
    http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/launcher/Neverwinter.exe
    http://download.perfectworld.com/sto/launcher/Star Trek Online.exe
    http://download.perfectworld.com/co/launcher/Champions Online.exe

Edit: Seems to work so far, but my Internet connection is slow at this location. But it's moving, which is more than it was doing before :) I'll give it more testing out tonight at home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks... let's see if it helps that logout pre-patch get somewhere, shall we...
  • Options
    rabidredneck02rabidredneck02 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess it did the trick, because I finally got the pre-patch finished.
  • Options
    malek3malek3 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it just me? Every time I go to log in to Holodeck, I have to wait for patching of about 3500mb. It goes fairly fast, but why over and over everytime I log in? Any insight? Anybody?
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whats getting on my nerves is I finished the damn download before and yet every time I close the game down it wants to redownload the whole bloody 5GB again.

What the hell.
  • Options
    yeolleryeoller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you mean 3500kb? Because mine does that too. Haven't paid much attention to it.

I'm actually having an issue getting the prepatch. It starts but only gets to about 2mb then freezes. Anyone have any idears?
  • Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying to patch tribble and it's painfully slow. My guess is weekend traffic & everybody trying to patch tribble or pre-patch on holodeck.
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malek3 wrote: »
    Is it just me? Every time I go to log in to Holodeck, I have to wait for patching of about 3500mb. It goes fairly fast, but why over and over everytime I log in? Any insight? Anybody?

Iv trying to Patch everyday in the last 3 days, and every time i try to pre-patch the patch freezes? At this point im just gunna wait until the actual launch of LOR and hopefully it will fully patch by then.

And also my pre-patch size is 5552mb!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing happening to me when I try to patch Tribble. It's about 3/4 done, took about an hour or so, for 724mb.
  • Options
    veepnovaveepnova Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll try to make this brief, but I have a point to make.

When I was deployed to Iraq in 2010, I could download patches for this game far faster and more reliably than anything else on the internet, and that was on an extremely terrible connection. I have never had a problem with patching this game, even on an older computer, until the last month or so. Now, it seems with almost every patch, be it for holodeck OR tribble, I have to TRIBBLE with my patch options, enable or disable something, or patch via proxy through a different server. Nothing has changed about my computer since 2011.

Cryptic, your patch server is either broken or inadequate. STOP trying to put the blame on the customers and FIX it. It's that simple. The problem is on YOUR end not ours.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there a way to see what is getting patched in real time, while the patchier is running? I've seen people who had screenshots showing what was getting patched the lest time something like this happened.

edit: Found it
    How to confirm wether or not your patch has frozen:

While the Launcher is displayed Press CONTROL and X at the same time. This will bring up a window called "Transfers". check to see if the files here are loading by looking at the column labeled as "Blocks".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    nycteris1523nycteris1523 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I double click the short cut on my desktop I get the launcher to put pw and stuff then hit enter and when I hit the engage button ..nothing happens its just stops the program....the game worked fine early left for a errand comeback and this , I have tried various other games including a few pwe and only trek acts like this..any help.
  • Options
    yeolleryeoller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just logged off and wouldn't you know it, it's downloading now. Hopefully it finishes this time, as the very first time i tried it got to about 90% and froze.