Install Arc
Options

Romulan "Enterprise Incident" D7s?

Comments

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lykum wrote: »
    roms actually stopped using plasma torpedos, or so I've read. reason being they were too unstable and often resulted in damage to the ship that fired it! romulans actually started using a standard torpedo type that was less punch and more reliable. can anyone confirm this for me?

dominion war, you see any warbids shooting plasma torps?? no!!!

Ummm Yes, and they had hundreds of them on one of Bajor's moons, that's what the whole blockade was about.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    'Simple impulse' may refer to power generation rather than sublight propulsion i.e. nuclear fusion as opposed to matter/antimatter reaction. I think this is the way the scene should be interpreted, as it's quite clear that the Romulan Bird-of-prey had warp speed capability - not only does it actually have warp nacelles, but it's also 'far from the stars of home' which as a line of dialogue wouldn't make sense if the Romulan Neutral Zone encompassed the home star system.

Incidently there is no suggestion that the Romulan Bird-of-prey cannot go to warp while under cloak. Much of the action that takes place in 'Balance of Terror' does so while the Enterprise is at warp - which implies that the Romulans were under warp too. However, I'd accept the idea that they couldn't sustain high warp velocities while under cloak, which is a neat way to tie in the whole 'simple impulse' point Scotty mentioned - regardless of what this line referred to, it's meaning is that the Enterprise had greater power generation in comparison, which means more power to the engines etc.

This to me sound the best with the problems as Romulans Neraly burnt out their Warp Coild keeping up with The Enterprise-D in Tin Man while under cloak. In fact they were pushing their ships so hard they were detected constantly as sensor echoes so their cloak wasnt getting enough power as all power avalible was going to their Engines.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A ship based off the Jellyfish? :D

The Jellyfish was a good example of all that was wrong with TNG. AWWWW the two Jellyfish are in love..LOLWHUT. Kirk would have just blown all that **** up. Then find away to kick Q in his cosmic bawls. ( well after all he did get Q's BFF grounded :P )

Sorry for the tangent ima diehard TOS fan TNG just annoys me. My Little Pony has more action than TNG :<
  • Options
    sarthrinsarthrin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off, when TOS aired and Star Trek was merely just another TV show, the technobabble wasn't a very big concern of the writers and producers who were trying to write and produce a show that would get network sponsors to purchase blocks of advertising space. (oh no, reality check :eek:). They never thought the show would gain a post production following that is near religious in proportions and hangs on every line of every episode, movie, and book. There are a lot of inconsistencies and non aligning story lines. Face it folks, its going to happen. There have been tons of writers, directors, and producers over the years. So, things become confusing to those that would hold onto every word in every episode. Get over it.

Now, that out of the way, it takes only simple logic to deduce that the Romulans had warp capable ships and the statement from Scotty could only be for that particular ship in that particular episode at that particular time. Anyone who knows the simplest thing about the distances and amount of time that it takes to travel those distances even at or near the speed of light knows all Romulan ships of the TOS era that were in deep space had to be able to travel at warp speed. At the speed of light it takes 4 years to travel from Earth to its closest neighbor Alpha Centauri. At the speed of light or sub light speeds, the Romulans wouldn't have been able to create any form of an interstellar empire. When it takes years to reach the nearest systems it simply isn't viable. In order for this to be possible, even Warp 1 has to be exponentially faster than light speed. I am not a physicist and am not going to explain the math it takes to long (but for canon gurus it is explained in the Enterprise 1701-D technical manual -- not sure that is the right name but it's been about 20 years since I read it). As for impulse speed, I have followed Star Trek in all its incarnations for about 35 years and have always understood impulse speed to be sublight.

As for the terms impulse power and warp power, these are easily explained. The warp reactor that powers the warp nacelles produces power as does the fusion reactor that powers the impulse drives. These reactors also power every other system aboard a star ship (weapons, shields, life support, etc.). Warp Power is the power derived from the Warp Core and Impulse Power is that power derived from the Fusion Reactor. The terms would seem to come from the things that draw the most power from the system.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because, Star Trek is still just a show created in Hollywood by people who want you to buy tickets or products. They like money too they need to eat. And all this "Canon" can change any time they come up with a new idea that will get people to spend money on it. Kinda why they didn't cater to the die hard, "it must be this way." fans with the new movies. They really didn't mind pissing of a few thousand or even hundeds of thousands of die hard fans as long as their new movies brought in tens of millions of new fans willing to buy tickets and merchandise (which they did). Stuff changes its science fiction with infinite possibilities, get over it.:D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the above ^^ Lets make that more simple for non trek fans .

The Next Generation would spend like 20 mins an episode sitting round a table trying to talk stuff out and drive home a serious but very boring moral message to the kiddos at home.

In The Original Series Sulu would get out his head on some alien virus strip down to his midriff and run around thinking he is Zorro. ( though Picard also went nuts in the same way and drew a smiley face on warp core vapor will give him that XD )

Also lets us not forget the greatest moment in sci fi KIRK VS THE GORN!

And apparently they still dont get on almost 50 years later :<

Sci Fi Changes tis life. But TNG fans tend to take it a little to far with canon about cannons >__>

Original Trek has that just perfect level of cheese that no other Sci Fi ( With the exception of Dr Who ) have ever reached.
  • Options
    jolaujolau Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    At the risk of turning this into another thread about the Alliance, general acceptance is not canon.

This is why I would rather prefer the Romulans capturing and then copying the D-7, instead of an "cloaking devices in exchange for ships" some other deal that could have suggested some sort of alliance. Considering much of TOS included WW2/Cold War/Vietnam War analogies this could be one of them. (IE: Russians capturing and then copying the B-29 during World War 2 for example)
  • Options
    wraithxiiwraithxii Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a die hard TOS fan as well. It's just so much better than what came after. Those six movies included. TOS Klingons and Romulans were better and make much more sense. This also brings up the point of the cloaking device. TOS Klingons would definitely use it. The aforementioned "turtleheads" would and should not! Everything that they say about honor flies in the face of reason when they use a cloaking device.
    Great honorable warriors using a system that lets them sneak around? How is that honorable?
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lykum wrote: »
    roms actually stopped using plasma torpedos, or so I've read. reason being they were too unstable and often resulted in damage to the ship that fired it! romulans actually started using a standard torpedo type that was less punch and more reliable. can anyone confirm this for me?

dominion war, you see any warbids shooting plasma torps?? no!!!

Actually it's a bit complicated.
    The red...thing the Romulans in TOS use was only called "plasma energy weapon" and dissipated over time which probably means it's just a ball of plasma.

In some early episodes of TNG, both Klingons and Romulans supposedly used Photon Torpedoes and Phasers which probably just means the terminology for their weapons had not yet been established properly.

On DS9 an important point of early season 7 was that the Romulans had begun to stockpile Plasma Torpedoes on a Bajoran moon.
    This probably means by that time the Plasma Torpedoes are actually "solid cased" just like Photon Torps.
    Otherwise you can't very well stockpile these things.;)
    How precisely this works...I don't know.
    But my personal guess would be they don't put Matter and Antimatter into their torps but the result of such a reaction: Plasma in a suspense bottle.
    Anyway we've seen them fire something that does not really look like a conventional Photon Torpedo in "The Die is Cast":

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/d/d6/Cardassian_and_Romulan_fleet_open_fire.jpg

http://picard578.hostoi.com/startrek-vs-starwars/star_trek/space/starship_tactical_systems/photon_torpedoes_img/the_die_is_cast/Orbital_bombardment_2.jpg

So my interpretation is what the Romulans use in the later shows is actually not in the game: a Plasma Photon Hybrid Torp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    At the risk of turning this into another thread about the Alliance, general acceptance is not canon.

Well, the CBS approved late 2012 "Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual" for the Klignon Bord-of-Prey written by Rick Sternbach and Ben Robinson has a 2-page "Cloaking Device History" (Page 20 and 21).
    This makes this point clear: in late 2267, the Romulans approached the Klingons and proposed a technology trade that was signed by both sides early in 2268.
    The Romulans gave the Klingons computer tech and cloaks while they themsleves gained Disruptors and D7s.
  • Options
    trekpantstrekpants Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    The Jellyfish was a good example of all that was wrong with TNG. AWWWW the two Jellyfish are in love..LOLWHUT. Kirk would have just blown all that **** up. Then find away to kick Q in his cosmic bawls. ( well after all he did get Q's BFF grounded :P )

Sorry for the tangent ima diehard TOS fan TNG just annoys me. My Little Pony has more action than TNG :<

The "Jellyfish" he was referring to was Spock's ship from the 2009 Star Trek movie (that was the ship's nickname), not the giant space jellyfish from Encounter at Farpoint.
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Romulans had bad tech in the 23rd Century, i.e The Balance of Terror. Besides the weapon and cloak. A non cloaked Flagship vs a cloaked Flagship. The Enterprise won and clearly were ahead of the Romulans. Since the Klingons (like American in the 80's funding Mujahadeen fighters against the Russians) were the natural enemy of the Federation at the time, they funded and gave away their weapons tech which was on the same caliber unlike the Romulans. So they gave them the D7 to compete with the Connie and installed the cloaking device which the Klingons lacked and later gained. Hence the Klingons now have cloaks.

For a Romulan Rebel/refugee this ship would be perfect expression of the Romulan/KDF player. Its old but still very deadly like the Falcon of Star Wars. Its wild wild west ship.

"What a piece of junk!" LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    kenlbenkenlben Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is my understanding (I admit I am nowhere near an expert) that it was, at the very least, a technological exchange if not an outright alliance. If you remember in the "Balance of Terror" It was their understanding that all Romulan ships were sublight only vessels. So the D-7s in question were either gifts from the Klingons and retrofitted with cloaking devices or as was stated elsewhere new builds by the Romulans themselves.

I apologize if I repeated something that was posted earlier, too tired to read through all the posts.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Well, the CBS approved late 2012 "Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual" for the Klignon Bord-of-Prey written by Rick Sternbach and Ben Robinson has a 2-page "Cloaking Device History" (Page 20 and 21).

Sorry, this is also non canon.
    kenlben wrote: »
    It was their understanding that all Romulan ships were sublight only vessels. So the D-7s in question were either gifts from the Klingons and retrofitted with cloaking devices or as was stated elsewhere new builds by the Romulans themselves.

The Romulan BOP did have warp drive despite what Scotty said.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

If you personally go by onscreen alone, yeah every piece of paper is non-canon.
    [Still means the Klingon-Romulan Alliance is canon since Geordi mentioned it in TNG "Reunion"]

But this is as close to it as we're gonna get.
    It's written by a producer of the show just like the TNGTM.
    BTW, then let's also dispute the name "Miranda class" because as I recall it was never mentioned onscreen either.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But is this statement 'Canon' ??? Can you quote a 'Canon' Reference?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BTW, then let's also dispute the name "Miranda class" because as I recall it was never mentioned onscreen either.

I'm pretty sure Miranda-class was mentioned in the episode with the USS Lantree, which also made a cameo with the Rescue plan in ST6, where it showed class names.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure Miranda-class was mentioned in the episode with the USS Lantree, which also made a cameo with the Rescue plan in ST6, where it showed class names.

I just checked and the transcript for "Unnatural Selection" doesn't reveal the name anywhere.
    There were also no indications on the "Operation Retrieve" papers since they only contain names, registries and classes for Connies and the Excelsior
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I just checked and the transcript for "Unnatural Selection" doesn't reveal the name anywhere.
    There were also no indications on the "Operation Retrieve" papers since they only contain names, registries and classes for Connies and the Excelsior

Somewhere I recall them mentioning Miranda in either TNG or DS9.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh well. Maybe someday it will, if there ever is another Prime Star Trek.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Sure, and Kirk's very next line after Scotty's "impulse power only" remark isn't "So we can outrun them."

The Romulan ship in "Balance of Terror" was written to not have warp drive. It doesn't matter. Stop trying to make lame-TRIBBLE rationalizations and get over it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sure, and Kirk's very next line after Scotty's "impulse power only" remark isn't "So we can outrun them."

The Romulan ship in "Balance of Terror" was written to not have warp drive. It doesn't matter. Stop trying to make lame-TRIBBLE rationalizations and get over it.

The line was simple impulse which could mean many things. It could of meant the ship had a simple impulse engine compared to the Enterprise impulse engine

Also Warp in TOS changed so many times...Warp in TOS was how the Enterprise maneuvered, while in others it was used to travel between planets.

But never on screen did they say it did not have Warp, just it ran on simple impulse, which is pretty ambiguous.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The line was simple impulse which could mean many things. It could of meant the ship had a simple impulse engine compared to the Enterprise impulse engine

Also Warp in TOS changed so many times...Warp in TOS was how the Enterprise maneuvered, while in others it was used to travel between planets.

But never on screen did they say it did not have Warp, just it ran on simple impulse, which is pretty ambiguous.
    But how could you explain the behavior of the Romulan ship in 'Balance of Terror' ??? If it did have warp drive, why didn't it rush back across the Neutral Zone after destroying the Federation Outposts, when there was no Federation Starships around, instead of having the leisurely cat and mouse game back across the Neutral Zone... This can only be explained if the Romulan ship lacked faster then light ability...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trekpants wrote: »
    The "Jellyfish" he was referring to was Spock's ship from the 2009 Star Trek movie (that was the ship's nickname), not the giant space jellyfish from Encounter at Farpoint.

The episode was that bad each time some mentions Jellyfish I just rage. How can Q's first appearance in a episode so bad be a thing , So yeah when I see jellyfish I auto rage without reading the rest :<
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But how could you explain the behavior of the Romulan ship in 'Balance of Terror' ??? If it did have warp drive, why didn't it rush back across the Neutral Zone after destroying the Federation Outposts, when there was no Federation Starships around, instead of having the leisurely cat and mouse game back across the Neutral Zone... This can only be explained if the Romulan ship lacked faster then light ability...

It was still in the middle of blowing up outposts when the Enterprise came across it, also the ship had a limited amount of fuel, that the Enterprise kept making it waste, they were on a mission to remain undetected by the Federation....Also the Episode would have been short had it just warped out after blowing up one outpost.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    The episode was that bad each time some mentions Jellyfish I just rage. How can Q's first appearance in a episode so bad be a thing , So yeah when I see jellyfish I auto rage without reading the rest :<

Because Q was as bad until the 2nd season which he introduced the Borg...till then he was your generic god like Alien who annoyed the Enterprise.....the running theme of TOS.

but Q did not get really really interesting till he gets stab in the hand with a fork.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most logical thing I can see would be to have the Romulan version of the K't'inga, their own design evolution of the D7s they had access to back then.

Romulan ship. D7 influence.

Maybe released alongside a Romulan ship with a D'Kyr influence.

Some nice symmetry in highlighting the conflicting alliances the Romulans are faced with. One showcasing the legacy of their old alliance with the Klingons. One showcasing the legacy of their origins on Vulcan.

The D7 derived one could have a special console that can also be claimed by Klingon alts for use on the K't'inga (and K't'inga as the only Klingon ship that can use it) as that's one of the iconic ships without a C-Store console. Maybe some of the costume parts could be usable on the K't'inga as well.

The D'Kyr one could have a special console that can be claimed by Federation alts for use on the D'Kyr (and the D'Kyr as the only Fed ship that can use it) as that's a Fed ship that could use some love. Maybe some of the costume parts could be used on the D'kyr as well.

Maybe bundle each up with Honor Guard and MACO inspired Romulan costumes. Not a literal lift but one furry and imperial and another sleek and modern. Possibly mixable with Honor Guard/MACO uniforms once you unlock those.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's not ambiguous, especially not in context.
    KIRK: Yes, well gentlemen, the question still remains. Can we engage them with a reasonable possibility of victory?
    SCOTT: No question. Their power is simple impulse.
    KIRK: Meaning we can outrun them?
    STILES: To be used in chasing them or retreating, sir?

and especially especially not when one considers the actual Physics definition of impulse:
    In classical mechanics, impulse (noted as I or J) is defined as the integral of a force with respect to time, which gives you the change in the momentum of the body being acted on by the force.
    (Wikipedia)

Impulse engines are called impulse engines specifically because they provide the impulse that moves the fictional vessel. It's quite clear that Scotty was referring to the Romulans' engines to anybody who can actually discern what matters to a story, and what does not. Giving the Romulans only impulse engines was just a way to give the Enterprise a way to combat an enemy that was both invisible and possessed what amounted to a superweapon.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

OK... Scotty is just making the comment that they dont have anything special. Their engines are just simple - ie common - impulse engines. Like the Enty's. They didnt know what they were dealing with. Cloaked ship. Massive Plasma Weapon. It was fairly exotic to the crew. Scotty was just clarifying that the didnt have weird engines as well.

The "cat and mouse" game was just that. The point was to lead the Enterpise to the Zone and hopefully beyond so they could attack and it would be the Feds fault since they were the ones who broke the treaty. The captain just hadnt counted on Kirk and thought it would be fairly simple.

Now its not really on screen but they took a lot damage. I mean there is dirt falling on the bridge crew from above. So maybe their warp drive engines were damaged.

The ship was also having power issues between the weapon and the cloak. So I could concede that it is possible that particular ship didnt have warp drive for power reasons. Or that they didnt have a enough power to go to warp.

But the Romulans had warp drive

Regardless, I see no point in adding them. They were the Klingon ships. And IIRC the point in using them was to sell toys since there was a D7 model out or something.

If you are allied with KDF then you can pretty much get one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now the question about that episode though is how was the plasma torp warping?

Because the Enterprise goes to warp and barely out runs it. well they dont. the only thing that saves them is the torp dissapting some before it hits them.

so it seems logical to me if they can fire a torp at warp speeds thats faster than the enterprise it might have occured to them they could make the ship go fast too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]