test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (May 4, 2013)

Comments

• admiralozzyadmiralozzy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IDK about the 8088 bit, but STO in ASCII? That would be something to see! lol

I do love the games Cryptic works so hard on.. yes, I'm upset about the downtime, but as a SysAdmin I understand that things break, often without warning.. I have a linux-based server needing some TLC because something broke. I find the many pages of ranting on here rather amusing at times though and can't seem to stop reading... lol

I can't stop reading either....it's entertaining the hell out of me. All I'm reading is Richard Nixon from Futurama growling and spitting as he writes all this.
    Look buddy, I'm an engineer which means I solve problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    William "Ozzy" Ozland | Clara Shepard Roslin
    Zho'ee
    Stewart Gilligan "Stewie" Griffin
  • soullsdsoullsd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hope all go's well this time....
  • shratermanshraterman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to blame May the 4th for the server issues. It's just not Star Treks day...
  • bugger027bugger027 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Q, long time no see. Where is my coffee? :mad:

Seriously though, I doubt they would take sto down at this time with such short notice without good reason. When I was on earlier, I had constant lag issues, not good trying to do defera hards.

Live long and prosper!
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Q heres an idea for you for a party

CINCO DE MAYO!!! with a Q flare ofcourse :)
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If everything goes Fine... 2 more hours of updates!!!! ^_^

:D
    6tviTDx.png

• cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »

^ THIS, complete with mariachi band!
  • admiralozzyadmiralozzy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cinco De Mayo...then....Revenge of the 6th? With Q flare of course.
    Look buddy, I'm an engineer which means I solve problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    William "Ozzy" Ozland | Clara Shepard Roslin
    Zho'ee
    Stewart Gilligan "Stewie" Griffin
  • lurchicus2lurchicus2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yayyyyy the new gerbils have arrived !!!!!!:)

I always thought they used tribbles. :)

(I wonder if a carnivorous tribble got loose in the server farm?)
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So when do the Devs take off for the week? I assume they have to be on during peak hours for maintenance. (Scheduled and emergency.) Are they always on call?
    edited May 2013
    cdnhawk wrote: »
    ^ THIS, complete with mariachi band!

I remember a TNG episode where Q shows up with a mariachi band was hillarious :)
  • kalel514kalel514 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to need to investigate if you're secretly one of our Engineers posting :P

This sums it up well, though. Having to bring down the network for this maintenance is unfortunate, and we definitely would much rather our games be up, but it's something that's required to help increase network stability to avoid any more outages. We considered every option we could to find an alternative solution, but the only way to get these optimizations in is with this maintenance. We appreciate your understanding, and empathize with you all -- we all play our games too and would rather be in them right along side you all tonight.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I understand Brandon, but at the same time will you guys offer something in good faith for allthese outages... such as a long awaited ship ssale. Call it the "I Survived Neverwinter Beta Server Crash Sale" lol. 50% off:cool:
    edited May 2013
    Cinco De Mayo...then....Revenge of the 6th? With Q flare of course.

But of course :D
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Q wrote: »
    I know that you're probably asking yourself, "Why would a brilliant, handsome, dashingly omnipotent being like Q want to converse with a scrawny little bipedal specimen like me?" Who ever can answer that question bests gets a prize. It could be good. It could be bad. You'll have to play to find out.

It can't be because you're bored. Being omnipotent, you could make yourself not be bored, even if you were.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems that somewhere along the line some of the finer points of BO capabilities related to Photonic Officers and Android officers got left behind. Could someone explain how either of these BO's can suffer some humanoid associated injuries and disabling for biological features that they don't even have?
  • telshartelshar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Should be interesting but I'd be afraid of the food. Mexican food doesn't always agree with my stomach. Afraid to think what the Q flare would result in...
  • mr8owersmr8owers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im in ohio, so i'm not sure about the time difference, but how long has the game been down?? i mean in hours...
    " ^ "Has Boldly Gone..."
  • pops70pops70 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Captains log supplemental:
    Captain Barnaby Snugglemuffin reporting.
    It appears the warp core has vanished. Perhaps I should have read the last evaluation of Lt.commander Sommers a little more closely. I had no idea one woman could drink that much Bajoran springwine. Stuff tastes like it was filtered through a Klingons codpiece. But 'how' does a warp core disappear.
    Captain BS: Commander Fozzeworth report to my ready room immediately!
    Commander WTF: Reporting sir!
    Captain BS: What is your assesment of the situation commander?
    Commander WTF: Well sir, the crew has been busy tidying up the ship. You know, in case of first contact and all that.
    Captain BS: You seriously expect me to believe no one noticed a warp core just walk on out an airlock or cargo bay? Snap to man! You need to get down to engineering and find out what happened. In the mean time I will personally go to cargo bay 2 and oversee replication efforts. Mr Neverwonder..meet me in cargo bay 2.
    Mr Neverwonder: aye aye captain.
    Gamer formerly known as Grimbeard. SFC veteran.
  • kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even Starfleet has a bad day once in awhile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Ukm9LaWg
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    telshar wrote: »
    Should be interesting but I'd be afraid of the food. Mexican food doesn't always agree with my stomach. Afraid to think what the Q flare would result in...

That's one scary thought. A Q with stomach cramps. Imagine a cranky Q!

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Anyone find this Ironic.. I just googled the Defenition of

Cryptic and here's what I got!!!!

cryp'tic
    /ˈkriptik/

Adjective

1: Having a meaning that is mysterious or obscure.
    2: (of a crossword) Having difficult clues that indicate the solutions indirectly.

Synonyms
    occult - secret - enigmatic - mysterious - hidden - privy
    6tviTDx.png

• strighfellow2015strighfellow2015 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As we have time to reflect, I would agree the downtime is necessary to make repairs. However Cryptic has used the typical 4 P's of management (TRIBBLE poor prior planning)

Yes the last three downtimes has been a pain for all of us. But for those of us that have been here since the beginning this is nothing new. :mad:

Cryptic needs to step up to the plate and create some sort of compensation for all its members during these time. Like STO I have also been with EVE from the beginning,for the last ten years. Cryptic can and should take lessons from them. When issue like these happen they take care of there players.

Think about it Cryptic so you can last ten years!!!!!
  • landomatic76landomatic76 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is 50 pages deep so I doubt it'll gather much notice, however, Why would you perform "scheduled maintenance" during/through primetime weekend gaming hours for the United States? I am happy however that it's supposedly fixing your outages, but isn't there an earlier part of the day this could be done? My perception of this could be a little askew however and I humbly invite any feedback on the matter.

Lando
    Shop smart, shop "S" mart!
  • thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been about two hours.
  • gamersaint76gamersaint76 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you know, i find it rather disturbing that so many people are so quick to start nay saying about sto/cryptic/pwi over these server issues. i've been playing sto since about mid season 5, and i still love this game. i've done my best to help support this game including getting c-store items and even becoming a lifetime member, something i have never done for any other mmo.

why? cause i effin love this game! in all the time i've been playing it, i still havnt done everything, there is so much content, so much to do, so many things to learn and explore and that isnt even touching the foundry missions that give it even MORE content! plus, you can tell this game was made and maintained by people that have a real passion for star trek and passion for the fans. of all the other mmo's i've played i've never felt this much love for the material. that's why i support, play and will continue to support and play this wonderful mmo and be proud to be a part of this expanding star trek universe.

to the dev's and maintenance people, and to the moderators of this forum, i say thank you for all your hard work, and know that there are indeed others like me who feel this way. .. to the people who are complaining about the problems that arise from time to time ... please be patient. it will all get worked out, and STO will continue to get bigger and better
  • overkilltbpoverkilltbp Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mr8owers wrote: »
    im in ohio, so i'm not sure about the time difference, but how long has the game been down?? i mean in hours...

I think we still have 2 more hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, even if whatever they are doing happens to work. All I know is they owe me 3 damn days worth of romulan marks that I haven't been able to collect to get to teir 5 on my 4th lvl 50.

MAYBE IF WE CAN MOVE MARKS OR MAKE CHARACTER BOUND TO ACCOUNT BOUND I WOULDN'T BE SO GOD DAMN PISSED OFF!!!!
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »
    That's one scary thought. A Q with stomach cramps. Imagine a cranky Q!

I thought he was always cranky hence his over use of cosmic /isarcasm.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lots of complaints about the timing. But Cryptic's a business, being down like this hurts them more than it hurts you. Not to mention paying their engineers to work late on a Saturday night.

So why now? I'd say odds are some of their networking hardware wasn't expected to live through the night, or much longer at least, without replacement. Better to bring it all down in a controlled way, swap out what needs to be fixed, restart it and test it before turning the nerd masses loose on it.

They may have ordered the replacement components after the first unscheduled downtime a couple of days ago, and outlined a plan then to make the fix Saturday night. That might be pushing the definition of "scheduled maintenance," but the alternative could have been worse.

Or maybe Cryptic tried to be cheap and fix the problem in other ways first, and this is the last resort when inexpensive fixes failed. Either way, if this truly fixes the problem (which remains to be seen), it will be worth it.
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    your wrong

ahem

FRAKKEN TOASTERS!! :D

IS ANYONE HERE NOT A FRAKING CYLON?

something else to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHIb7gG1m0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your patience, Captains! Maintenance went very well and we were able to conclude it much earlier than anticipated. Maintenance is now complete! We'll see you in-game!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.