test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 May 2013 - Temporary Outage (Resolved!)

Comments

• Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    12 hours is giving too much credit... you have to account for the midnight snack, pre breakfast, breakfast, brunch, lunch, dev blog about another npc, and then it'll be back up.

Don't forget gilding refined gold, pouring perfume on the lillies, painting the violets and waiting around to watch the forums grow. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just A Note, I Am Very Close To Reaching this point

Yes!!!!!!!!
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • Options
    greasemonkey981greasemonkey981 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now the launcher says they're performing maintenance. It seems we're in this for the long haul.:rolleyes:

As if this wasn't a long haul right now.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot condone that kind of behavior. It has no place here.

His, mine, or yours? :D
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    all joking aside: dudes, quit complaining its a very short time comparitively. so they are down a few hours, or even if it was a whole day, who cares? its not like the servers went down for weeks almost continuously (those of us who remember the launch of "Season One: Shaka, when the walls fell" you know what i'm talking about) you can live a little away from your computer or if not i'm sure you have other games you can play till they fix it. as another poster said, take your time and get it fixed well. that way its not a quick fix that they were rushed into doing that just breaks again next week.
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    kargandarrkargandarr Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, well how long is the extended maintenance going to last for.
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, folks. There's been a lot of conjecture as to the nature of Cryptic's network hardware.

I have to come clean, and admit that not only have I seen it myself, I can show it to you:

http://i43.tinypic.com/1117cp0.gif

As you can see, something must be terribly amiss, as this much raw computing power should be able to handle everything happening in the Cryptic gaming world these days.
  • Options
    nexiumportalnexiumportal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Free choice of a ship for all of us? Just sayin.
  • Options
    thebluerabbitthebluerabbit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CLICK HERE FOR FREE COOKIES! (And To Say You Want the Ability to Switch Character Races!)

But...but...I have cookies disabled!!
  • Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's play the Hanging Man-game.

I'll start off... It is a three letter Word... ___ ___ ____

I'm going to take a stab at 'make it go'?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    nveknvek Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bummer! and here i just got Both Fed Temporal Ships and I wanted to try out The Mirror version first!:(
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While a server is a connected to a network, it is not network hardware. Routers, hubs, etc are network hardware. You're talking balancing, not pass through.

Ahh, fair enough. i am the last generation of people who didn't have the option to study computers at school.

I know all my times tables by heart though. :D

However, my substantive point remains.

Some component or other is, predictably, acting as a bottleneck.

That same bottleneck is likely, given todays events, to negatively impact the launch of LoR.

I'd rather it didn't.
  • Options
    reddeadshirtreddeadshirt Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First I ate a smoked turkey sandwich with a little light mayo, pepper and a slice of cheddar on sourdough.

THEN I ate the pudding. Chocolate, Kozy Shack, served best like revenge...cold. very satisfying
    Shirt, Redd Shirt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    I appreciate what you're saying. Of course, hardware sometimes just fails. It's a pain in the fundament but it is inevitable it'll happen occasionally.

I think the issue I have isn't that we've experienced a hardware failure.

It's that the hardware architecture, however configured, has failed in the face of a wholly predictable surge in usage.

NWN is one of those IPs that will inevitably get a lot of attention.

An open beta of such an IP will attract a huge amount of interest, and the traffic that goes with it.

However, if the server hardware has a bottleneck in it that controls the access to all of cryptics games, that part of the hardware is more likely to fail. One could say, predictably so.

Imagine, if you will, a huge facility with many conference rooms and function areas. However it has just one entrance.

Most of the time those rooms are used relatively sparingly, but one day you have an event that gets the worlds notice. Everyone wants to come.

If you don't open more doors into the facility, problems are very likely to occur. There could be catastrophic failure.

Essentially thats what we've had today. A catastrophic failure of, possibly, one component.

However its wiped out access to everything.

Soon we will be getting ready for LoR, an event I'm sure many of us are eagerly anticipating.

If we are still having to access it through the one door, a door we will have to share with NWN, CO and all the other cryptic games, then probems are inevitable. Catastrophic failure more likely.

It is that which concerns me, less about the hardware, more about the foresight of the cryptic technical team.

and me too...you have a good knowledge of hardware and configuations.....i just hope we are both wrong when LoR launches...but i doubt it
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    georgeorwingeorgeorwin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reruns of walking dead time
  • Options
    professionalhelpprofessionalhelp Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NO Cor... BRANflakes... Why do you insist on covering for the Evil Epohh King? That 'Neverwinter' cover story is gonna fool only the federation captains. Harbor the Epohh King and his bunch of merry saboteurs - and the KDF will notice and take action. We Klingons is not as easily fooled by the Epohh treachery or fancy parlor tricks!
  • Options
    boyscout1971boyscout1971 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is down for the night for sure
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't take that long to replace a switch or a router lmao. Sure replacing a hard drive then restoring the data but nothing else would take this long to replace and start back up. Even if something in the game server died, it doesn't take hours to replace, lets say a GFX card, then reboot the computer and start loading up all the files.

You understand a server is not a personal computer right? And they said they are bringing things back up step by step. They seem to be doing this right instead of just hot swapping and relying on the usual cult dance and chant. Let them do it right. Soon the expansion hits live for STO. Maybe while the network is down they should take the time to do their maintenance.....and I think they are. And God knows I don't stick up for this company often.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Your first response. You know I actually did a college report on that clip.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    axel667 wrote: »
    Dude, trust me. Flip the switch up and it'll work.

PWE: I'll need a week to consult the techs and ensure the switch doesn't need to be replaced

Me: Seems legit
    no no here let me fix if for you

PWE: le tme consult with our 10 lawyers , whom then must talk to paramounts 10 lawyers whom must talk to cbs's ten lawyers whom must then talk to the mpaa and riaa and there 100 lawyers each and we'll get back to you about a decision.

thats how lawyermerica works after all
  • Options
    godindetailsgodindetails Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    colkernel wrote: »
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Shaaka, when the walls fell. Kiteo, his eyes closed.
  • Options
    madaleinmadalein Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's play the Hanging Man-game.

I'll start off... It is a three letter Word... ___ ___ ____

Sorry it can't be a three letter word, Gorn has four letters
  • Options
    vhylevhyle Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gonna bust open a box of Cheez-Its and watch some tv.
  • Options
    roswellgornakroswellgornak Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do I got the following message whenever I try to login?

We are the Pakled Borg.

We have assimilated the server

Resistance is futile

We are strong
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    no no here let me fix if for you

PWE: le tme consult with our 10 lawyers , whom then must talk to paramounts 10 lawyers whom must talk to cbs's ten lawyers whom must then talk to the mpaa and riaa and there 100 lawyers each and we'll get back to you about a decision.

thats how lawyermerica works after all

I would go with the easy method and buy their lobbyist a steak dinner and get cut out the years of that lol :P
  • Options
    dinos2012dinos2012 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Facebook has kept most of us ... up-to-date.

Glad to see the Forum has kept its ever-popular positive attitude ... and not completely trashed the efforts being made.

Patience .....
    read rinkster post there is your EFFORT ok by the way future historian talking about past mmo games...."there once was an MMO called STO back in 2013 but it went the way of the dinosaurs!!"
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your first response. You know I actually did a college report on that clip.

Really? Do tell.... I want to hear this story.

*gets popcorn*
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You understand a server is not a personal computer right?

I think the problem is that Cryptic doesn't understand that a personal computer is not a server.
  • Options
    boyscout1971boyscout1971 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they did the maintenance this morning
  • Options
    spectre80spectre80 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    argh. you do understand that you have absolutely ruined my day? im at work and i have to actually work now cos the game is down.. :(
This discussion has been closed.