test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 May 2013 - Temporary Outage (Resolved!)

Comments

• Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter deals 1298723455 antiproton damage to Cryptic's servers with Beta test overload I

just plain....HAHAHAHAHA
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    colgano wrote: »
    All jokes aside... pretty sure this is what they're using. http://tinypic.com/r/5lx69t/5 :cool:

I love PEEEWEEEEE!!! YAY!!!
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • Options
    cassianncassiann Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    Clearly all Cryptics games share at least some hardware.

The last few days, following the launch of the NWN beta, we have been experiencing varying degress of problems in STO, culminating in todays catastrophic collapse.

Now, I'm not tech wizard, but even I could predict that there'd be a huge surge in players when NWN launched and it doesn't take a techie to know that such a thing would stress out the hardware.

So, i have some questions which I'd respectfully like Branflakes to ask of the technical team and post their replies here.

Will there be dedicated hardware in place for the launch of both LoR and NWN when it goes fully live?

Do cryptic accept that, without hardware dedicated to specific games, the sort of problem we've experienced today is inevitable if games are succesful and attract players?

Does cryptic recognise that the launch of LoR is likely to attract a huge number of people on launch day, making the numbers that tried to log in the day the anniversary event went live pale into insignificence?

Are they planning to radically expand server hardware capability, or are they hoping to sort it out with a software band-aid? Or, worse, are they just counting on our desire to play the new expansion to make us overlook the technical neglect?

Why Ask questions you will never get answers to. I me look at the name they choose for their company "CRYPTIC" do I need say more?
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question, how exactly do you know they are all actually interdependent? Do you work in their cluster?

Oh, hey. April 2013.

I can explain how I know.

Because when this happens, it always happens just like it's happening now. It's never JUST CO, or JUST STO, it's never JUST Holodeck or JUST Tribble. And now it's not JUST Neverwinter. When one drops, they all drop. It took them until the forum migration last year to keep the forums and websites up when this happens. Before that, when the games went down, the websites went down, the forums went down, all of it went down.

If that doesn't scream that something they all use interdependently is breaking, I don't know what does.
  • Options
    sapyrothsapyroth Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What bothers me is that this sort of crash happened a lot of times in the 1year I played this game.. Now I come back intrigued by the changes and hoping for a more reliable ping within the game and the second day I play the STFs lag like a blind midget steering a one wheeled carriage. And bammmmmmmm! Another of these crashes... This does not give me a positive impression about who is running the technical aspects of this company. :mad:
  • Options
    karlmdkarlmd Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    everyone getting on get on
    everyone getting off get off
    and for all you who keep
    talk to guy who forgot to put the plug in
  • Options
    squishynoisesquishynoise Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty the least that they "should" do, is to make an announcement with a realistic estimation of how long they expect the servers to be offline.

"We are working it"! is never a good option to throw at the public.

Give the worst case scenario. You don't have to explain why.

I'm confident that if I had come to this message board and read "TEMPORARY OUTAGE" and the body text said, "We are adding hardware. This may take as long as 48 hours. If the work is completed sooner, we will make an announcement".

I wouldn't be sitting here reading the forums and watching people lose their grits and gravy.
    I would have read 48 hours and said, TRIBBLE. Hello Netflix.

"We are trying to get it up and running as soon as possible" is exactly the same as pulling up to a drive thru window and being told, "Something in the kitchen isn't working properly so we can't make your food, but please, sit here in your car with the motor running and your hunger growing and wait. If anything changes, you may or may not hear from me. Feel free to get angrier and angrier as you sit here still interested but uninformed. I'm sure the line of cars behind you will be more than happy to start a conversation about the situation by screaming profanities back and forth from open windows".

But then again, Heroin and crack dealers are not known for their exceptional customer service practices either. The junkies will line up at the door even if you tell them you aren't holding. They will stand their with there crispy lips and crumbled up sweat stained dollar and sidewalk coins and just wait it out.

Pretty much exactly like we are all doing.
  • Options
    morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wait till LoR launches and the server is still running 3 games...heehee
  • Options
    tango2bravotango2bravo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we challenge the Collective to pong now at least?
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep we knew we were gonna get screwed when Neverwinter started... oh well whatever credibility Cryptic gained when everyone saw LoR on Tribble's probably gone now.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    you have GOT to be kidding right???? there is not a personal PC on the market that could possible run this game for more than maybe 10 ppl at at time....trust me, they have to have a good server cluster to even begin trying to serve this game up for what...20k to 50k users or more at a time?

You think this game runs for more than ten people at a time? Well, we all made that mistake once. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    pureleadheadpureleadhead Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay guys, time to get the make goods ready. Time to give out Zen or dilithium for this. Waaaaaaay too long on this outage.
    [Insert Clever Signature Here]
  • Options
    kargandarrkargandarr Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, i agree.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    maybe cause they I dunno are all down? call me crazy but that's sounds inter-dependent to me.

This one they can't blame on COGNET apparently.

Or the whole system was BROUGHT down when one part failed so it didnt propagate to other clusters. We didnt all drop at the exact same instant. It was a span of 10 minutes, so i reckon something failed, a tech received a warning, and the system was brought down for a maintenance cycle and troubleshoot check.

I assure you there is no way this system is on one box at any point in the chain.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    dinos2012dinos2012 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neverwinter Deals 1298723455 Antiproton Damage To Cryptic's Servers With Beta Test Overload I
    Fight Back Fight Back Arm Those Quantum Torpedoes >>now>>fire Fire Fire
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mook?

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. THere. Done.)
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    dinos2012 wrote: »
    Fight Back Fight Back Arm Those Quantum Torpedoes >>now>>fire Fire Fire

sorry cappn, can't do it, we have a global cool down!
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek Online ‏@trekonlinegame 4m

Hey Everyone - Our team is still hard at work performing the necessary tests and bringing the systems up. Stay tuned for additional updates.

Sounds good, they are in debug test and startup, so it shouldnt be long now.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Mook?

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. THere. Done.)
    HEHEHEEE LoL you got them by the balls !! hahahaa
  • Options
    kargandarrkargandarr Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they frelled up not having a server that can be dropped in to replace the one that went on the fritz abd because of this we get a frelling.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    # 1 Server/ Launcher Outage -- All Cryptic games affected (Engineers working to resolve)
    Today, 06:08 PM
    can't connect to the server...... 4+ hours since the 1st post about this.
  • Options
    pakledworldpakledworld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sooooooo no ETA then?
    Pakled World Entertainment: Looking for things to make STO go since 2011.

We have found it: General Server Stability. We are strong now...
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This thread can easily make 100 pages. It's doing a page per minute. I think a cumpensation might now be in order, indeed. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    sorry cappn, can't do it, we have a global cool down!

Mr.EX vice presidente Al Gore does not think so on that
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, so far this hasn't been nearly as bad as the season 1 launch. "Shaka, when the walls fell..." well since this isn't as bad, I suggest we all get the Tanagra emote now. That way we can all walk around and say "Darmok and Jalad... at Tanagra." Or alternatively "Temarc" emote where we can emote in game: "The river Temarc in winter." That would be pretty apt for me since its snowing 3 inches here... in the middle of May.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek Online ‏@trekonlinegame 4m

Hey Everyone - Our team is still hard at work performing the necessary tests and bringing the systems up. Stay tuned for additional updates.

Sounds good, they are in debug test and startup, so it shouldnt be long now.

So I have enough time to do next year's taxes then right?
    Are you free?
  • Options
    wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay guys, time to get the make goods ready. Time to give out Zen or dilithium for this. Waaaaaaay too long on this outage.

I smell profit in the wind...
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • Options
    innerphoenixinnerphoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dam game being down so long has turned everyone into forum tolls , lol
  • Options
    squigishsquigish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clearly, this Cryptic has a looooong way to go before they can be considered a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability system.

What do you think their uptime is? 97% is my best guess. around 5 hours/week seems about average.
This discussion has been closed.