test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 May 2013 - Temporary Outage (Resolved!)

Comments

• Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You understand a server is not a personal computer right? And they said they are bringing things back up step by step. They seem to be doing this right instead of just hot swapping and relying on the usual cult dance and chant. Let them do it right. Soon the expansion hits live for STO. Maybe while the network is down they should take the time to do their maintenance.....and I think they are. And God knows I don't stick up for this company often.
    you understand that a personal computer can be a server ...and that bascially everything you just said makes you look well....stupid.
    I can setup a ten year old computer with server software buddy. and that server cna run websites and games and do a lot of stuff.

ya see some of us aren't the ignorant trolls we look like in this thread and are just playing silly....trust me i know what you mean but your wrong too.

a kid with a 166 pentium laptop and xampp can be a webhost for thousands of websites.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that Cryptic doesn't understand that a personal computer is not a server.

Most MMO GM teams dont get that. Always blame the person and never the game.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is down for the night for sure

:confused::(:mad:
  • Options
    dinos2012dinos2012 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shaaka, when the walls fell. Kiteo, his eyes closed.

in winter,his arms Closed
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please PWE, I don't want to read books again. The sun is so bright.....and so is the fire we'll start when we realize that we can drive something besides a starship again. :D
    Are you free?
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dinos2012 wrote: »
    in summer his hair caught fire at je'lantra
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    all joking aside: dudes, quit complaining its a very short time comparitively. so they are down a few hours, or even if it was a whole day, who cares? its not like the servers went down for weeks almost continuously (those of us who remember the launch of "Season One: Shaka, when the walls fell" you know what i'm talking about) you can live a little away from your computer or if not i'm sure you have other games you can play till they fix it. as another poster said, take your time and get it fixed well. that way its not a quick fix that they were rushed into doing that just breaks again next week.

It's not that something un-expectantly failed and caused downtime that is annoying. It is the lets make several different systems/games all inter-dependent via a single point source of failure. Which predictably caused said component failure and preventable downtime. Being unlucky or a getting a bad component from manufacturer, sure you can have a Mulligan, bad planning? I gots no sympathy
  • Options
    mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they did the maintenance this morning

Yes and this is the mandatory server crash that HAS to happen, seemingly by law, within the first 24 hours of any maintenance of any kind... I'm guessing you've not been here long... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • Options
    godindetailsgodindetails Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Zinda, his face black, his eyes red.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thore187 wrote: »
    :confused::(:mad:
    what gave you that impression? o.O could it beeee...................SATAN!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dfbackdraft1dfbackdraft1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good deal!

Its pass midnight!...
    " To boldly Go... Till we run out of gas... "
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    It's not that something un-expectantly failed and caused downtime that is annoying. It is the lets make several different systems/games all inter-dependent via a single point source of failure. Which predictably caused said component failure and preventable downtime. Being unlucky or a getting a bad component from manufacturer, sure you can have a Mulligan, bad planning? I gots no sympathy

Question, how exactly do you know they are all actually interdependent? Do you work in their cluster?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    duggeekduggeek Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We are the Pakled Borg.

We have assimilated the blinky box

Resistance is strong

We are futile

FTFY :cool:
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    and me too...you have a good knowledge of hardware and configuations.....i just hope we are both wrong when LoR launches...but i doubt it

Oh, trust me, i know very little of server tech.

I did change the RAM on my PC once and i replaced a busted DVD drive, but thats the limit of my PC hardware knowledge.

However, what I am very, very good at is trouble shooting.

I was a theatrical lighting engineer, and when the system fails 3 minutes before curtain up you learn to get very, very good at figuring out where systems fail.

i just figure, at the end of the day, all electronic devices are basically the same in certain regards.

No redundancy in a specific part of the system means that, when failure occurs there, its catastrophic.
  • Options
    peevil31peevil31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With all of the server issues we've been having (referring to the incredible lag) can you please get a multi-denominational holy person to bless the servers to help avoid this happening again?

I couldn't have said it better myself! Wait... I'm agnostic. Perhaps not a holy person but maybe recycle all the old 1999 Emachine servers into ham radios or something. Replace with say, dual quad cores with fail-safe backups instead of reel to reel magnetic tape chirping in the background? Your call.
  • Options
    reddeadshirtreddeadshirt Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bush, when the Dow fell, Obama, with his eyes closed
    Shirt, Redd Shirt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    colganocolgano Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, folks. There's been a lot of conjecture as to the nature of Cryptic's network hardware.

I have to come clean, and admit that not only have I seen it myself, I can show it to you:

http://i43.tinypic.com/1117cp0.gif

As you can see, something must be terribly amiss, as this much raw computing power should be able to handle everything happening in the Cryptic gaming world these days.

All jokes aside... pretty sure this is what they're using. http://tinypic.com/r/5lx69t/5 :cool:
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »

amen brother. Poor planning produces poor performance.
  • Options
    darkstarmetdarkstarmet Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ahhhhhh what you mean i have to go out side now cause the game is down. OMG I did not think those words would be so true until now.

To boldly go where no man has gone before. OUTSIDE
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    in summer his hair caught fire at je'lantra

at the walls of tannagra
  • Options
    nvthisnvthis Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doc Brown: PWE we've gotta go back!

PWE: Where?

Terminator: Back to destroy Neverwinter
    Are you free?
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is what happens when you are Penny wise and pound foolish
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You understand a server is not a personal computer right? And they said they are bringing things back up step by step. They seem to be doing this right instead of just hot swapping and relying on the usual cult dance and chant. Let them do it right. Soon the expansion hits live for STO. Maybe while the network is down they should take the time to do their maintenance.....and I think they are. And God knows I don't stick up for this company often.

Let's all raise our hands and sing Kum Bah Yah!
    /Floozy
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the problem is that Cryptic doesn't understand that a personal computer is not a server.

you have GOT to be kidding right???? there is not a personal PC on the market that could possible run this game for more than maybe 10 ppl at at time....trust me, they have to have a good server cluster to even begin trying to serve this game up for what...20k to 50k users or more at a time?
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter deals 1298723455 antiproton damage to Cryptic's servers with Beta test overload I
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    amen brother. Poor planning produces poor performance.

Reminds me of the old military six P's

Perfect
    Planning
    Prevents
    P%&*
    Poor
    Performance
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question, how exactly do you know they are all actually interdependent? Do you work in their cluster?

maybe cause, I dunno, they are all down? call me crazy but that's sounds inter-dependent to me.

This one they can't blame on COGNET apparently.
  • Options
    godindetailsgodindetails Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    at the walls of tannagra

Kadir beneath Mo Moteh. Zinda, his face black, his eyes red. Tarmac! The River! In Winter!
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Please no ... not again. We had to endure all of this when STO was fresh at launch. Please host NVM on a different server. Is it necessary for NVM players to use STO chat channels? I don't think so. Therefore, please listen to the playerbase and host NVM externally, and leave STO alive. Thank you.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
This discussion has been closed.