Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #11

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    thenaphl wrote: »
    So i'm pretty sure I know the answer but can I get some confirmation please?

I am a LTS and I bought the legacy pack.

I can play as a liberated borg.

I can play as a reman.

I cannot play as a liberated borg reman?

Thanks

So far, the Liberated Reman is a bridge officer only.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    "Available After Selecting an Ally

Federation or Klingon Liberated Borg Bridge Officer
    Type 8 Shuttle Pet
    Original Series U.S.S Enterprise Starter Ship
    Rivera Tribble or Pet Targ Pup
    "

The Liberated Borg Officer should be the one in the Legacy Pack, not a FED or KDF specific BOff. being able to buy the C-Store Reman BOff and claiming the Amazon BOff and getting the Kithomer Accord Accolade Borg Boff... so Romulans can have 3 Borg BOffs AND a liberated Borg Captain while Fed + KDF are limited to 2 Borg BOffs? ...not sure if that is good.

Type 8 Shuttle Pet ? for Romulans? *shrug* i hate those non-combat Pets anyway, waste of inventory space and nothing else.

Original Series U.S.S Enterprise Starter Ship <- this is really REALLY useless after level 10, and what would i want with a Fed Ship if i go KDF anyway?
    Blue TOS Phasers on a Warbird?... mmmh yah i think you may want to rethink that one.

Rivera Tribble or Pet Targ Pup <- meh... how about a special Combat Eppoh instead?

...oh and that Captains Table don't need to say anything about that one, right?

Well, I would prefer the pre-order Borg Boff as a Liberated Romulan Borg Boff, instead of a Human or Klingon....

Otherwise, no one has to use the bonus stuff on their Romulan characters anyway....
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I can play as a reman.

Thanks

No, but then you can't play as a Liberated Borg Vulcan either...

I think the best solution would be to have "Liberated Borg" in the style we expected the Romulan Hybrids to work; have the Borg parts be mandatory but the costume pieces configured such that you could make a Human, Romulan, Klingon or whatever with costume pieces locked depending on faction.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    I think we can lay the blame solely at the feet of that "Hav" guy from the Starbase UGC podcast.

If you had listened to the interview, you'll recall CaptainGeko stating that if our decision on the alien-gen species were to change, it would not be because of feedback received during, before or after the interview. So the fault can only be placed on us, and the timing of the decision is unfortunate because it makes it look like it was based on something else when I can assure you it was not.

I'm summarizing CaptainGeko's tweets from last night, the plan to change this was in motion before it was discussed during the interview in question. Ultimately, the reason it changed was due to the limited time we had to create the species. We wanted to make a hybrid species that would utilize the alien-gen, but it would have new parts and new traits. It would have been exclusive to subs, but we realized that we were going to run out of time making it, so we moved forward with the hopes to find another way to make a hybrid species. When it became apparent that we couldn't find a viable alternative, the decision was made to revert it to the normal alien-gen and make it available to all, as it is with the Fed and KDF faction.

Again, the decision had nothing to do with that podcast interview or the feedback received from players who wished it to be different -- of course we took that feedback into consideration, but it's ultimately not the reason for the change. It really came down to time. Looking back, we should have waited to announce the hybrid until we knew we would have the time to complete it, so we apologize.

Things change very fast when developing a MMO, as you know, but the fault lies on us for this change. Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you had listened to the interview, you'll recall CaptainGeko stating that if our decision on the alien-gen species were to change, it would not be because of feedback received during, before or after the interview. So the fault can only be placed on us, and the timing of the decision is unfortunate because it makes it look like it was based on something else when I can assure you it was not.

I'm summarizing CaptainGeko's tweets from last night, the plan to change this was in motion before it was discussed during the interview in question. Ultimately, the reason it changed was due to the limited time we had to create the species. We wanted to make a hybrid species that would utilize the alien-gen, but it would have new parts and new traits. It would have been exclusive to subs, but we realized that we were going to run out of time making it, so we moved forward with the hopes to find another way to make a hybrid species. When it became apparent that we couldn't find a viable alternative, the decision was made to revert it to the normal alien-gen and make it available to all, as it is with the Fed and KDF faction.

Again, the decision had nothing to do with that podcast interview or the feedback received from players who wished it to be different -- of course we took that feedback into consideration, but it's ultimately not the reason for the change. It really came down to time. Looking back, we should have waited to announce the hybrid until we knew we would have the time to complete it, so we apologize.

Things change very fast when developing a MMO, as you know, but the fault lies on us for this change. Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

Any chance of getting the hybrid Alien-Gen to subscribers eventually, or is the idea completely scrubbed? Also, would it be only to LTS/1000-day Vets or monthly Gold would be able to make as well (assuming it's still possible just not at launch)?
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So just because you ran out of time in releasing a Romulan hybrid for subscribers on launchdate of LoR you decided to abandon canon again and make the Romulan Republic a xenophil-multispecies-starfleet-wannabe faction instead of releasing the hybrid for subscribers at a later date. Yeah, this totally makes sense. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kevkla1269kevkla1269 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i just tried to log and my launcher is not responding properly some times it says the website is down but it is not because if it was i would not be able to make this post and the some times it will not register with my pasword
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was so looking forward to the Hybrids :(
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

It still appears to be incongruous with the original sentiment; that you guys wanted the Romulan story to be more personal. I know mine is just one opinion, but I think an awful lot of us were hoping to not bump into Batman or Homer Simpson while on Crateris or the Romulan Flotilla.

I don't know, it seems like a case of subtraction by addition - the experience is lessened by having that "variety".
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So confusing.

So by Cryptic's own admission (which to be fair, maybe you guys didn't hear), the hybrid system was originally intended to be new parts and new traits. An entirely new thing. So you still would have had wacky aliens, you'd just have all new wacky aliens. So if they did it the way they supposedly wanted to, you guys would still be pissed.

Now, I for one must admit, I'm not so sure about this reasoning. For instance, as someone else has already pointed out, if this was indeed going to be the plan, why wasn't it simply post-poned like everything else that didn't make it in time for launch?

My suspicion is, it wasn't the plan. The plan was to limit the alien species, both sliders and parts, and sell it for $15 dollars. When people realized that would still take extra time to lock off things, and it kind of sucked, Cryptic backed out of it.

So either Cryptic is telling the truth, and you guy were never going to get what you say you want in the first place (which is death to all aliens apparently), OR Cryptic is lying, and people were going to be charged for a ****tier version of something that was already free. Neither options sound good for you guys, to me. But whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,107 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thehavraha wrote: »
    So confusing.

So by Cryptic's own admission (which to be fair, maybe you guys didn't hear), the hybrid system was originally intended to be new parts and new traits. An entirely new thing. So you still would have had wacky aliens, you'd just have all new wacky aliens. So if they did it the way they supposedly wanted to, you guys would still be pissed.

Now, I for one must admit, I'm not so sure about this reasoning. For instance, as someone else has already pointed out, if this was indeed going to be the plan, why wasn't it simply post-poned like everything else that didn't make it in time for launch?

My suspicion is, it wasn't the plan. The plan was to limit the alien species, both sliders and parts, and sell it for $15 dollars. When people realized that would still take extra time to lock off things, and it kind of sucked, Cryptic backed out of it.

So either Cryptic is telling the truth, and you guy were never going to get what you say you want in the first place (which is death to all aliens apparently), OR Cryptic is lying, and people were going to be charged for a ****tier version of something that was already free. Neither options sound good for you guys, to me. But whatever.

how many letters did you send to geko?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want to reiterate that I don't think Cryptic is lying, I was just saying it didn't make sense to me, and that there there were two possibilities, and both cases wouldn't benefit the player.

The decision made here is the best scenario.

People will blame me for this decision no matter if I carried an ounce of influence or not (which Cryptic itself says I didn't). I'm just trying to argue that it's not villainous to give players the same free capabilities the other factions have, especially when whether or not things make sense isn't really a concern for other aspects of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I can play as a reman.

Thanks

OK let's start with you liberated Borg (insert species) you can have human Klingon romulan if you can't have caitain/ Andorian / Vulcan / gorn / Orion then why should you have reman.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

I hope you add hybrids down the road for all factions. Doing so in an enticing way would be one more incentive to play something a bit more canon looking.

I held off posting my exact idea but my basic idea is this (and it sounds like we may be on a similar track):

Hybrids have relaxed versions of an alien's character creator tailor options. They have 50% of the traits for their primary species. (Ie. the default Romulan species trait but at 50% effectiveness.) In turn, they'd get an additional selection of other species core traits operating at, say, 25% effectiveness that they can place in a regular trait slot.

So a Hybrid Romulan, in my take, could choose be "part human" and "part Vulcan."

This would give them the bundled human traits at 25% effectiveness as a single selectable trait (Human contains several traits) and Vulcan trait at 25% effectiveness (which would include, for example, physical strength and a weaker neck pinch.)

A Hybrid Vulcan would have Vulcan traits at 50% effectiveness and could use other trait slots on traits like Part-Human.

Keeping in mind that species traits are now basically 2-4 traits bundled as a single trait now. I'd envision a hybrid as getting a bit less of their own native species trait in quantity but the option to spend slots on other species traits.

I kinda think you should go back to that at some point if that's the overall idea. I'd see it as a C-Store pack.

I also think ground costumes should get trait unlocks fitted in to bolster sales there.

And my inkling would be for you guys to re-do Liberated Borg as, effectively, a Borg Hybrid while opening up the costume options there as well. So a Lib. Borg could choose partial traits from other species (probably with some nerfing of their innate trait) and get the tailor options opened up more.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

Why is the alternative to a hybrid alien generator simply to give up and permit the usage of the regular generator then? The "no brainer" here is to not permit aliens until the hybrid gen could be developed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thehavraha wrote: »
    I want to reiterate that I don't think Cryptic is lying, I was just saying it didn't make sense to me, and that there there were two possibilities, and both cases wouldn't benefit the player.

The decision made here is the best scenario.

People will blame me for this decision no matter if I carried an ounce of influence or not (which Cryptic itself says I didn't). I'm just trying to argue that it's not villainous to give players the same free capabilities the other factions have, especially when whether or not things make sense isn't really a concern for other aspects of the game.

I wish the other factions scaled back a bit, honestly, and recognize that's mainly impossible but had hoped they used Romulans to set a new precedent, consistency be doggone.

I don't "blame" you have but disagree choice is always beneficial to players (or consumers).

Choice leads to confusion sometimes. It's on a spectrum where more choice often means less polish.

I don't think giving people choice or what they say they want is always the best route to actually satisfying people. People are irrational and people like crafted narratives (with or without a literal story) that give them a framework and boundaries.

I remember a number of sociology experiments showing that the more freedom people had, the more they tended to engage in deliberately self-injurious behavior. Whereas an excess of structure would actually reduce deliberate self-injury but make people claim to be miserable. And a balance between the two (freedom and structure) seemed to produce the most balanced results. Trying not to get too deep on this here.
  • Options
    terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Leviathan - FYI - Hav wrote that either decision "wouldn't" benefit the players.

Just...so you know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    terilynns wrote: »
    Leviathan - FYI - Hav wrote that either decision "wouldn't" benefit the players.

Just...so you know.

Ah. Missed it.

Well, I'm biased as a fleetmate and a listener but I don't blame Hav. Brandon's explanation sounds entirely reasonable.

I was looking forward to something DIFFERENT with Hybrids and even with Aliengen being added, I'd like to see Hybrids offered in addition with a little extra thought and time put into them.

And I think Hybrids with different "template" species could be fun.

Ie. Vulcan Hybrid with lowered Vulcan traits but the option to also claim reduced versions of other species traits. Klingon Hybrid. Human Hybrid. Etc. Could be fun. Could be something different for Gold perks or the C-Store.
  • Options
    terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah. Missed it.

Well, I'm biased as a fleetmate and a listener but I don't blame Hav. Brandon's explanation sounds entirely reasonable.

I was looking forward to something DIFFERENT with Hybrids and even with Aliengen being added, I'd like to see Hybrids offered in addition with a little extra thought and time put into them.

And I think Hybrids with different "template" species could be fun.

Ie. Vulcan Hybrid with lowered Vulcan traits but the option to also claim reduced versions of other species traits. Klingon Hybrid. Human Hybrid. Etc. Could be fun. Could be something different for Gold perks or the C-Store.

<3

I know. While Hav and I didn't agree about this issue before the change was made, I don't blame him either (and I'm a lifer). I wasn't upset about the initial idea because I saw the previously announced version as something different from the alien generator on the Fed & KDF sides. I just saw it as another species (a'la Caitian and Joined Trill) that would come as a perk. Unfortunately for us, the tech isn't working out in time. I'm hopeful that something will come in the future, but in the meantime it will be nice to be able to make an alien the same way you can on the other 2 factions.

To be honest, I'm just more frakking excited to be able to make a Reman female - something that means a ton to me. (I'm sure I'm all of about 2 who cares this much, I realize that, but I really am just beyond words excited about it!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

I listened to the interview all the way through, and I follow Gecko's tweets. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. If the decision was set in motion before the interview, then why was Gecko still adamant about the story being about Romulans, and this was another perk for subscribers. He said the decision was made and at this point it wasn't going to change. That's not something you say if another decision was set in motion.

As you can see from posts here and in Hav's thread, that the vocal player base don't want a full alien gen. This is going to be game breaking to most of us, as is seeing 500 ridiculous looking aliens running around on ESD or First City. Seems the popular choice is to just wait for the Hybrid gen, and lock it off to just subscribers past and present.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On Hybrids-AlienGen

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply make a set of extra Hybrid species that function as a single species each, so when you make the character you choose from Rom, Reman, Lib-Rom, romucan, romugon, etc.

surely that would be a better option than filling the Faction with a bunch of gnomes, cross-overs, and abominations against nature

On Androids (and, by extension other ally BOFFs)

Will we be able to use Romulan Uniforms on our Androids (and other ally boofs)?
    (also related, Diplo+Marud boofs, same question, adjust terms)

On Captains Table

The Captain's Table is fine, the low pop is a good thing, it gives somewhere to go when the other stations are crowded

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do liberated Romulans still get the cloaking trait thing?
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There was a correction to the blog. It listed "Alien-Gen Hybrid Romulan Species", but it should actually be "Alien-Gen Romulan Species" (no hybrid -- it's the same alien gen available in the Federation and KDF character creator, same options and all).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This is very disapointing to hear. Why can't we have a faction that looks genuine and not like a freakshow? I understand the Federation being inclusive and having many aliens besides the canon races, and to a certain extent the KDF letting some conquered people join forces with them, but why Romulans? The people that want to play Avataar characters or Batman or Homer Simpson can stil play Fed or KDF without ruining the immersion of the Romulan faction.

I know its probably too late to stop this without overwhelming feedback, but I think the devs should know this makes me much less motivated to even play Romulan now. I still will, but it probably won't be immediately, and I won't devote as much time to it as I planned. I also will not spend nearly as much on it right away or won't be preordering the LoR pack now unless this decision is reversed.

I was really looking foward to being able to ditch the freakshow looking factions and be able to join a much better looking one, and am prepared to support the existence of such a faction with a lot of money. The Romulans should be much more homogenous and only have canon races, Romulan, Reman, and very rare Romulan Hybrids that still look mostly Romulan, and liberated borg are ok too I guess.

Best to have no aliens at all if the alien hybrid isn't ready.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon=/\=

Your souloution should have been no alien gen at all. Makes a mockery of the special story of the romulan republic. You know that some what xenophobic species you've made an expansion for. There be yodas, umpa lumpas, jokers the list of crazy aliens is endless. Sigh
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not veteran reward related, but are the Romulans going to get a unique ship from the "Temporal Ambassador" mission at some point? I'd certainly like to see what the Romulan Warbirds circa 2344 would've looked like.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    aentaaenta Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anyone know what this is?
    is it like the alien race that kdf and fed have?
    or what..
    Alien-Gen Romulan Species
    wanna know soon so i can figure out if i should stockpile dillithium and doffs on fed (for transfer to it if it alien) or kdf to stockpile of romulan fleet BOs (if i cant be an alien)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Not veteran reward related, but are the Romulans going to get a unique ship from the "Temporal Ambassador" mission at some point? I'd certainly like to see what the Romulan Warbirds circa 2344 would've looked like.

you do already.....the Dhelan Warbird is described in tribble as being designed in the early 24th century...same time as the Enterprise C
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    IMO I say axe the Alien gen for the Romulans...Not going to make sense why Mini Me is helping Romulans.

but whatever.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    you do already.....the Dhelan Warbird is described in tribble as being designed in the early 24th century...same time as the Enterprise C

Do you receive that ship as a reward from that mission? The mission currently awards a Starfleet player a Starfleet ship; it awards a Klingon player a Klingon ship; it should award a Romulan player the choice of a Romulan ship. That is, if stated, they're really meant to be their own faction.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Do you receive that ship as a reward from that mission? The mission currently awards a Starfleet player a Starfleet ship; it awards a Klingon player a Klingon ship; it should award a Romulan player the choice of a Romulan ship. That is, if stated, they're really meant to be their own faction.

no you just get it when you first rank up...for the mission itself you get either the the Federation or Klingon ship depending on who you ally with.
    GwaoHAD.png