test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    topset wrote: »
    I have this too :)
    Don't know if this is the right section, but when selecting a BOFF I have an option for Uhlan, even though I don't have a BOFF named that.

The 'Uhlan' are your default Romulan Security Dudes (Green-Shirts??) when you don't have enough BOffs.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm done hitting the ceiling of the Test 1 and I'm really having trouble with the shield strength indicators blending in with the new UI. :(

Also The DOFF UI, the Uncommon DOFFs blend in too much with the Romulan UI that I can't tell if I'm using a Common or an Uncommon DOFF. Not even sure I could determine Rare or Very Rare DOFFs as well if I had them.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The "Low Priority Interaction" window is smaller now and more friendly to those with smaller screens. Thank you for this change. The ship name in the character selection screen also looks nice.

Here are some additional problems that I've noticed:

1. The borders of the "Low Priority Interaction" window do not match those of its green box under "Rearrange HUD". The "Mission Tracker" and "Low Priority Interaction" windows still have a large gap between them even when I rearrange their green boxes to have only a small gap between them.

http://i.imgur.com/j73mlJH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/yM9UDnT.jpg

Since the "Low Priority Interaction" window grows downward, there is no need for its bottom edge to match that of its green box. But the top, left, and right edges should match.

See the following post for other HUD elements whose borders don't match those of their green boxes:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9204971&postcount=394

2. In the doff window, the traits in a selected box are hard to read.

http://i.imgur.com/gywNEUf.jpg

3. The default color of a sent /tell message makes it slightly hard to read. Similarly, the default color of the @handle in a received /tell message makes it slighly hard to read.

http://i.imgur.com/cp34Vte.jpg

4. In the character selection screen, the captain and boffs still look too dim. Perhaps, they could be illuminated by a light from the front.

http://i.imgur.com/ZOL0Q7I.jpg

5. In the ground power tray, the icons are partially cut off by their frames, and in shooter mode, by the tray overlay.

http://i.imgur.com/sQO3WX3.jpg

In the space power tray, the icons are also partially cut off by their frames.

http://i.imgur.com/sCXgz9p.jpg

6. Can we get an option to reposition the new mini-contact window? On Holodeck, the mini-contacts appear the same place as the notifications.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Chat needs thiner fonts .Event when you scale the font at 0.85 they still use alot of space compared to their new chat window frame .
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i Love The New Ui... Makes Me Want To Reach Up And Touch The Screen... Currently Using The Voyager Sub-palette, It Doesnt Go To Red Alert When In Battle, But It Looks So Pretty... Went Back To Holodeck And Was Sad That I Didnt Have The Shiny Ui.

This!!! :)
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new UI, not only it is closer to the TNG style consoles but it is not as offensive to the eyes as the old bright blue or bright red UI, the only thing I like less are the shield health bar in space combat. Considering how important it is to keep the shields up, the health bar itself appear a bit small on the UI, so please make the shield bars a bit more visible on ship or add a flashing effect when the shield HP drop to 50% 25% 0%.
  • Options
    typlixomtyplixom Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    UI/HUD... is horrible plain and simple. The new character login is GORGEOUS. The updated toon creator is also great.

But the UI either has to go, or at least give us the option to use the current one(!).
  • Options
    johnathantivjohnathantiv Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    - one of the of duty uniforms, there are missing the arms of the person
    - the Tal Shiar uniform has no texture
    - it is hard to get in the mirror event, caus it says, couldnt find map names .... and if you are in, you are removed from the map
    - in the mission : a house pursued is the ending text for federation
    - mission : house of fire should it be with borg weapons but in the dialogs and text's in the mission does it go about medical supplies
    - the Gorns, Hodch throw invisible rocks
    - in the derelict cube Tovan does not stop to fire even if there is nothing to shoot at
    - the dutyofficer part where you should be able to select leader is not working
    - the station in the mission badlands need more than 1 respawn point.

But I love to play the Romulans, so great work by the way (:
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are the sector maps going to be updated at some point? I wouldn't mind seeing them look more like this: LCARS Stellar Cartography. Especially the little brackets around star systems instead of the white orbs we currently have.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Cryptic - can we PLEASE get a black and white GUI with grey accent shading or maybe one with olive highlights?

I'm simply not a fan of massively diverse color pallets and bright luminosity (chronic migraine headaches) for that matter.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Having tried out the UI a bit I'd say it's a quantum leap over the previous one in style and aesthetics. The character creation screens are much more logical, and the choices of 'basic' styles are much more logical and easy to apply. I tried this process with my nine-year-old daughter (who had had a go on Tribble with me before). She also gave it a firm thumbs up for ease of use!

One of my only suggestions so far would be to perhaps alter the transwarp icon - as it doesn't look very clearly defined and obvious what it is for new users. Tricky one I know but perhaps a different icon, though I'm not sure exactly what I'd suggest.

The TNG colour scheme is excellent - that'll be my firm favourite come May, but I'd echo suggestions made for a Star Trek VI style green and blue Starfleet style too perhaps?

Great work by Thomas the Cat and the team on the UI though - really superb job.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Settings Enable Shoulder Camera and Enable rumble keeps re-enabling themselves. Very annoying.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Space powers are showing up in the away beam down.

Also, I think the hull UI piece in space needs a pass to look more elegant.
  • Options
    startrekker22startrekker22 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *cough* the New look is uglier than anyting in the universe *cough*Cough*
    " I believe that I speak for us all sir when I say: To hell with our orders." - Lt. Cmdr. Data
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bigger mission log, the mission steps window is so tiny which leads to unenecessesary amounts of scrolling.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To those saying that that the new UI is ugly, keep in mind that there are many of us who say the EXACT same thing about the current U/I. I thought that the solid blue was waaaay too monochromatic and a poor man's LCARS. And I LOVE the new U/I.

Rather than attempting to impose your belief that it is ugly, help us advocate for the option to use either. I think preserving the current U/I for use by the people who prefer it is logical and preferable. Otherwise we are left with you can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but NOT all of the people all of the time.

How about it Cryptic can we use both when this hits holodeck?

(It also makes sense that it would be the mandatory on Tribble right now since people need to test it out to help the Devs iron out the bugs.)
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The wrist attach right isn't showing the Federation option when you have the Romulan Civilian vest on.

Love the belts. They are such better "kit" options.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have different colours for my various chat channels, and on Tribble I have them all in one channel. Some of these get quite hard to see on the translucent chat window, even when moused over. Will there be/is there a way to make this window solidly coloured?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree on this, if they still dont implement this stuff after 3 years, and now with the biggest Update yet in may... just get the damn info in there.

Shield resist
    Shield Regen
    ACTUAL total Acc/CritH/D per weapon statistics, etcetera.

Yeah, it's pretty basic combat stat stuff for an MMO imo.

Shield Res
    Shield Regen (still not working)

And Actual ACC/CrtH/CrtD

Even better if we can have a permanently open window displaying this stuff.

A small window with info like that is about 100x times more useful than pictures of your bridge officers or your weapons tray.
  • Options
    starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can you guys go all the way and use the Swiss911 UCm BT font to make the LCARS aesthetic authentic? Otherwise, it feels a bit off.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Noticed when switching from my Romulan to my Federation character that it was using the same layout. So guess UIs aren't character independent anymore? :confused:

Also, can we have the option to use the old UI? I am finding it the new UI even on different colors is hard on the eyes.
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If it has been mentioned before it deserves mention again. As part of the UI, we need to be able to zoom out on the minimap as we do on Holodeck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think also the ground character shield/health bar UI needs a pass. It's looking rather fug.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really am enjoying the new UI, but my major problem is with the shield/hull part/

Before it was straight forward. 4 quadrants with a little arrow underneath. now the arrow is in its own little quadrant and it makes it harder to tell at a glance what your shield is doing.

I know the UI was meant to make things a little simpler at times, but this makes it more complex than it was before.

also perhaps the fire torp. fire phaser/fire all buttons could be redone. I think they would benefit from being larger buttons.

if you look at holodek, they stick up from the weapon window, where now they have a bar running behind them. again i think it makes them less prominent and harder to find and click quickly.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the bridge officer powers do not show on their status windows on an away team. so i have no way to activate them if i want to manually.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    the bridge officer powers do not show on their status windows on an away team. so i have no way to activate them if i want to manually.

They do, just not Romulan Faction BOFFs.

And yes with the Shields, even with the Ground there it's hard to tell what my shields are at.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Team Status window while in space is definitely too large. On smaller monitors and with all the other surrounding tabs it makes it fell like playing in a small window.

Screenshot while on full 5-man team (1280x1024) - http://i.imgur.com/mbJvRqu.jpg

It's certainly larger than on Holodeck. Kind of overwhelming, especially with those ugly oversized HP bars.

Can't it be more in size with the away team status? - http://i.imgur.com/Yac5Wah.jpg
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Speaking of HP bars, they clearly have the support to display Health numerically, we need an option to enable that permanently and not just on mouseover.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The other two factions have the contact button on the main screen and the pop-up end of mission screen is automatic. I have not seen this for the Romulans; I have to go into the mission section to use the contact assignment NPC.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well I had no problem with the old UI/HUD even the Klingon red and I play mostly my Klingon characters. The new one isn't bad either. On aesthetics I prefer the old one slightly over the new one. The old one was more in line with the Star Trek style and it has a more finer sense. The new one isn't in line with the style of the loading screens. That should be adressed.

Basically the new one is a new hood. The UI/HUD in itself isn't changed. What is going on here, why the change. Are there some copyright issues? I am not a computer technician, but since the new one looks simplier, it might use less resources. Is this so the game can be played on a tablet or less advanced computers?

Btw, when I play some time with the new one, I find it hard to tell which one is better. It looks to me this is purely a matter of taste.

One thing, skill icons seem to be related to faction. For instance the icon for tactical team is different on Federation and Klingon (this is not a thing with the new UI, we already have it with the game on Holodeck). I am not happy with that. I prefer universal icons for skills. So when I change sides, I do not have to 'learn' the new icons.