test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    there is a place to make the Ui smaller same place you can do it now

Except, when you change the UI size, the Font Size shrinks also.

I'm using my 55" TV as my monitor...

From across the room on the couch, with my older eyes, it is a bit difficult to read sometimes.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Except, when you change the UI size, the Font Size shrinks also.

there is a place to make that biger same place you can now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seems like right now everyone who is updating their UIs gets bashed for 'looking like Windows 8'. Now is that because of Windows 8 or current modes in design? I'll go with the latter. I think the new UIs look great anyways.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    Seems like right now everyone who is updating their UIs gets bashed for 'looking like Windows 8'. Now is that because of Windows 8 or current modes in design? I'll go with the latter. I think the new UIs look great anyways.

In this case it could be more of the other way around. Seems to me like Windows 8 took some visual inspiration FROM the LCARS system. So given that and the fact that new STO UI are trying to harken back to LCARS, of course they're gonna share some similarities. So what?

I dig the new UI. My only complaint is I wish there were some shape differences between the faction themes, not just color differences. The KDF and Romulan ones ought to be more angular. Just thinking back to the interfaces from Birth of the Federation.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When they said the new UI would be more LCARish, I was hyped up. But when I actually saw it, it was a disappointment.

So I went ahead and made THIS LCARs UI.

(Note: Far from finished. And going to make a Klingon UI that actually isn't just a color change).
  • crunch2600crunch2600 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It looks better, it significantly lighter on system resources. Hopefully it works better across the board. I don't get the criticism. Yes, it could be better, but it's like, one guy working on it.
  • captainwestbrookcaptainwestbrook Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new UI, and the recent patch just made it better... Could use little more touch ups but no noticeable pixelation on laptop now.. so you may have a cookie now! :)

The viewscreen is just too large... NERF it's size! xD
    Join www.UFPlanets.com
    5 FED Fleets | 3 KDF Fleets - T5 Colony on both factions
    Mack.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    I -hate- how I -have- to use one theme for all factions. :mad:

I do accept that others will hate it like yourself. You should be able to choose what UI you want for each faction, and not as it is currently ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is still no ability to re-size individual HUD elements.

Because of that, I would request that the buff/de-buff icons on targets be made larger.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah im loving the new improvements of the last patch, like everyone else i feel the interaction window could do with an adjustment ( way to big! ), would be nice to have a colour set for each faction instead of across the board, just don't like the random pinks and colours on the power bars, all in all loving it more and more each time i logon to tribble.
  • mariartusmariartus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are so many changes i love that's been implemented, and its a great new skin, However what i find to be extremely lacking is the character ground health and shield bars. They looks incredibly plain and undesigned. I really feel this is something that should be re-addressed.

Also in the Character Window, would be great to see some sort of background behind the character, rather than them standing in a black Abyss, Perhaps a bridge, generic if not the one of the current bridge of your star ship (Can appreciate how difficult the latter might be to introduce)

Also, Why on the log in screen does the shuttle ship show above my character, rather than the main ship?
    Bug or intended?
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    There is still no ability to re-size individual HUD elements.

Because of that, I would request that the buff/de-buff icons on targets be made larger.

/GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Statustarget_Space_Bufflist scale 1.5
    /GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Buffs scale 1.5

Works with old UI, not sure anymore about the new one.
    Also you cant save this so you would have to bind it to a button you frequently use.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • daelosprimedaelosprime Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm liking many of the new UI updates. But I have a few things as well that are off:

1) the Voyager UI has too much yellow. There wasn't that much in the show!
    2) Even though I'm not that into it I'm sure there are people wanting a DS9 (aka Cardassian) theme; a purple one based off the Dominion I would very much like but more than that...
    3) I'd like the ability to choose one of these themes as a base "template" and then like in the character creator have custom options to use (ie: UI prime color, UI secondary color, UI Highlight color, UI frame color, etc...)
  • morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm liking many of the new UI updates. But I have a few things as well that are off:

1) the Voyager UI has too much yellow. There wasn't that much in the show!
    2) Even though I'm not that into it I'm sure there are people wanting a DS9 (aka Cardassian) theme; a purple one based off the Dominion I would very much like but more than that...
    3) I'd like the ability to choose one of these themes as a base "template" and then like in the character creator have custom options to use (ie: UI prime color, UI secondary color, UI Highlight color, UI frame color, etc...)

Have to agree about the Voyager UI, its got a ton of yellow. Yellow should be the primary color, but not as primary.

http://www.loony-archivist.com/lowerdecks/tour/bridge.jpg

if you look at this though there is quite a bit of yellow so its not too far off.
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2013
    Minor quibble. The clock is rather hard to read in the TNG color scheme.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new UI, and the recent patch just made it better... Could use little more touch ups but no noticeable pixelation on laptop now.. so you may have a cookie now! :)

The viewscreen is just too large... NERF it's size! xD

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    as we have Vulcan and now andorian ships what about a UI scheme for those species :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) It would be very very nice to have the ship and character models in the status windows automatically turning slowly by themselves. Right now, I bet quite a few people won't even notice they can move the 3D models, cuz' they still seem "static". Give them a slight rotation upon opening the status window.

2) Traits UI: The symbol of a selected trait is portrayed larger than normal, which results in it being pixely/grainy --> vey ugly. You have to increase the resolution of the symbols!

3) The Accolades tab makes no sense being in the mission journal. It really has to go into the personal character/ship status window.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    UI issues/concerns:

1. Why are my BOffs calling me on the viewscreen? Do I now have an admiral's office that I sit in while my crew actually runs the bridge? :P BOffs should show up in an "unbordered" window or with a "bridge" backdrop while external comms should have the viewscreen.

2. At 1366x768 (max my laptop offers), the "default sized" UI pretty much eats up the entire screen. I have to disable the weapons block, the BOff strip, and still watch most of my bottom and edges overlap against each other and/or move the blocks around so that I can barely see my ship. Meanwhile, I can "scale" down to 80% - 85% default size, and arrange the blocks like I used to on my 1900X1080-ish (maybe 1900X1280) screen I used to have, but some minor elements of the UI are clipped - mainly the sides of the boxes (the white borders)...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Statustarget_Space_Bufflist scale 1.5
    /GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Buffs scale 1.5

Works with old UI, not sure anymore about the new one.
    Also you cant save this so you would have to bind it to a button you frequently use.

:eek: Are you a wizard?

Seriously, are these kind of commands listed somewhere I don't know?
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dareau wrote: »
    UI issues/concerns:

1. Why are my BOffs calling me on the viewscreen? Do I now have an admiral's office that I sit in while my crew actually runs the bridge? :P BOffs should show up in an "unbordered" window or with a "bridge" backdrop while external comms should have the viewscreen.

Ready room.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) In the UI on holodeck now, and on Tribble. When you go to

Ship > Status > Defense

The Shield Regeneration Rate only works for some shields (ex: Borg) and not for others (ex: MACO).

Can we please get this working for all shields in the new UI?

2) All of those neat little bits of information like Defense score, Critical Hit, Resistances, Shield Regen, etc. are buried deep with in menus and submenus. City of Heroes had an option to open a tiny window that allowed you to choose specific combat statistics to display permanently on the HUD. This would be a really amazing feature.

3) Shield Resistances are not displayed in the UI, it is one of the many mystery statistics that also happens to be critical to performance and understanding performance. Can you please find a spot for this in the DEFENSE sub-menu at least?

Thanks for you time.
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) In the UI on holodeck now, and on Tribble. When you go to

Ship > Status > Defense

The Shield Regeneration Rate only works for some shields (ex: Borg) and not for others (ex: MACO).

Can we please get this working for all shields in the new UI?

2) All of those neat little bits of information like Defense score, Critical Hit, Resistances, Shield Regen, etc. are buried deep with in menus and submenus. City of Heroes had an option to open a tiny window that allowed you to choose specific combat statistics to display permanently on the HUD. This would be a really amazing feature.

3) Shield Resistances are not displayed in the UI, it is one of the many mystery statistics that also happens to be critical to performance and understanding performance. Can you please find a spot for this in the DEFENSE sub-menu at least?

Thanks for you time.

I agree on this, if they still dont implement this stuff after 3 years, and now with the biggest Update yet in may... just get the damn info in there.

Shield resist
    Shield Regen
    ACTUAL total Acc/CritH/D per weapon statistics, etcetera.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ACTUAL total Acc/CritH/D per weapon statistics, etcetera.

Those are calculated per individual weapon, not shipwide (because stats on one weapon don't affect other weapons).
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have two issues with the UI which I think might cause some confusion on players, specially if they are not paying much attention on what they are doing:

First issue: when I first saw that my ship had a warp core, I went right to the Dilithium Store explore the options. I saw the singularity core as availble to purchase and bought one. When I tried to equip it I saw I wasn't able to. It was just on this moment I saw the little red "warbird" word on the item description. My point: as me a lot of players may miss this little detail. So it would be nice if something were done to avoid this type of situation. I think something like a message box to draw attention for the player he would not be able to use the singularity core on fed/kdf char and stopping the purchase would be enough.

The second issue is pretty much similar to the first one. I went to test the respec traits. Clicked on the respec button and instantly my trait selections was completely empty. No message box asking for confirmation. So, if a player acidentally hit this button he spends his respec token and there is no way to cancel. So a box asking for confirmation would be nice.

Other than that, the UI seens pretty much awesome.
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • irobnj44irobnj44 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with most of the forum here, the UI looks cartoonish. I truly hope it's a work in progress as I can see where you want it to look more like LCARS, so I will give the benefit of the doubt so far.

As for the game on Tribble, I received an error message saying my video card isn't supported, however it works just fine in Holodeck. It's a pretty high end video card so again, I will equate this to the test nature of Tribble.

Thank you.
    iRob of NJ :D
  • kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First off let me just say that the new ui colour schemes are great not a big fan of KDF one though too bright a shade of orange for me lol.

[*]UI colour change fantastic big plus for that
      [*]It looks more Star Trek than it did before.

Suggested Improvements:

-The chat window is way too transparent even though I had it set not to be so it makes reading text in the window a bit difficult at times depending on what the surroundings are

-The clock font is too small and difficult to read depending on what ui scheme you have be nice to just have a option to tweak that for personal tastes.

-Not being able to easily re-size various ui elements like you can with the chat window i.e the ship power panel etc so that feature is needed since the scaling option is not that precise and is terrible anyway as is the current way of editing the layout of your ui via the HUD menu awful.

-Be nice to choose my own colour scheme from a slider menu with a spectrum since I would like to make my ui a nice shade of purple :P

-Not sure about the whole flashing red alert ui that could become annoying if its flashing bright red so I hope there will be a option to turn that off :)
    • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      The UI looks spectacular. Every update has been a great tweak.

The suggestion above for a custom color wouldn't be a bad idea.

Even if it was limited to the color selection for uniforms it would still be cool.

Keep up the good work.
      tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
      "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    • mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      The tailor needs a button to minimize those preset head bar's.

I'll never use a preset so those are totally wasted space for me and on my non-widescreen lcd the preview space is way to small to really see what im working on in the tailor without zooming and turning all the time and thats annoying.
    • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
      edited April 2013
      Now that I am playing even more with the new UI I have additional feedback

When in the rearrange HUD mode, would it be possible to have the green boxes be more accurate in size and shape of the elements we are rearranging? Its a lot of trial and error currently to move elements around.