test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have noticed all of the above, its getting there just still needs tweaking. I really didn't like it at first but changing the ui to reamen colour option works fine.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm NOT a fan of the UI changes, PLEASE Cryptic Give us the options to KEEP the old UI as is. Thank you.

This really isn't realistically feasible.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have to agree, the new UI is absolutely hideous. It looks like it is from a game 15 years old. For the love of god please give us the option to maintain the current UI!

Welll here is what I see.... Romulan, Green.... Reman.. Green... Gorn.... Green... etc.. TOO MUCH GREEN!
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As somebody with somewhat challenged vision...

1.) Some elements are much too bright and distract the eye from the rest of the window. Opening the Status page has this huge block of color on your officer names screaming "HEY IGNORE THOSE TINY BUTTONS, PAY ATTENTION TO ME"

2.) The nearly invisible borders on windows and panels... On the ground it makes the UI look like ugly stickers. The stark black edges are jarring, and also helps to highlight how much space is being wasted. In space, the UI feels... indistinct. Like there's an awkward feeling of not knowing where the action ends and the UI begins in all the blackness.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A couple of things: With the color scheme set to TNG (haven't tried other color schemes yet) the clock on the top left of the mini-map is hard to read. Edit: The clock numbers are too dim.

In the HUD settings I have my carrier pets set to "Always Show" for the pet names, reticle, and health bars. The pet names and reticle are kinda dim and hard to see. In case it matters I have the Elite Scorpion Fighters from the Romulan reputation. And how about that missing "Undo" button in the tailor? :)

P.S. Thanks for listening to feedback about the vertical lines that segment the sliders in the character creator (also the zoom slider on the game map as well as other sliders such as choosing the amount of commodities to buy) and adding them back. I really like the new look a lot. And thanks for adding the zoom buttons back into the tailor. I also like how the tailor shows previews of my uniforms on the left side. :D
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    As somebody with somewhat challenged vision...

1.) Some elements are much too bright and distract the eye from the rest of the window. Opening the Status page has this huge block of color on your officer names screaming "HEY IGNORE THOSE TINY BUTTONS, PAY ATTENTION TO ME"

2.) The nearly invisible borders on windows and panels... On the ground it makes the UI look like ugly stickers. The stark black edges are jarring, and also helps to highlight how much space is being wasted. In space, the UI feels... indistinct. Like there's an awkward feeling of not knowing where the action ends and the UI begins in all the blackness.

Oh yes, this too. In the duty officer window when starting an assignment, I put my mouse over a doff on the left side, excluding the already selected doff, where available doffs for the assignment are, and it highlights the doff making it too bright.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Had another chance to look at the latest updates - yay for fixing most of the aliasing! :)

Some critiques:

Character selection

- The current backdrop is a starfield - I personally would like to see it use the same "spacedock" backdrop as used in the character creation section, and have my own ship actually moored outside the window.

- Once I've selected my toon, he beams out...and leaves the rest of his default away team behind. Either have the other BOffs beam out simultaenously, or with a small delay.

NPC Contact Dialogs

- The upper area still cuts too much of the torso out of view, and hides whatever costumes NPCs are wearing. Please zoom out so the upper torso is more visible.

- Some of the dialog text has been cut off by the edges of the bounding box.

- I still don't like the idea of BOffs from my own ships talking to me via viewscreens - ditch the frames when BOffs are used, and have a generic LCARS control panel as the backdrop instead.

- I'd still like to see other location-appropriate backdrops behind the NPC talking heads.

Sector Space

- I don't like the shortcut to the QSD right above the speed slider - it can cause players to accidentally activate it unintentionally.

Otherwise, a good update.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • deathomightdeathomight Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some parts of the ui in game are way too bright... like buttons and what not. Any chance we could just get a color picker chooser and let us mess with stuff till we come up with something that burns the eyes less?
    Also why is the border on many of the windows so thick?
    Any chance we can get an option to have the numbers show up on health bars/ shields always show in ground combat instead of just on mouse over?
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The new UI skins look great but the more I use it and look at it the more I realize that those blue icons on the power tray dont look good on the current backround.Its not like the backround is not fine or the icons ,I think its the contrast.

Also minimap icons should be better looking or simply use letters so instead of a icon for journal simply write Journal (vertical) .Some star trek fonts for chat or some tooltips would make lacars skins feel even more lcars.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't go on Tribble at all but I keep hearing positive feedback on the upcoming UI changes. What I want to see most in a new UI is this: a separate menu option for dialog text size. I like a nice clean interface for my hud meaning I want things small and tucked away unfortunately to do this I must make all dialog text small and hard to read. This can make doing story missions hard on the eyes. The only way to have decent sized text (12 pt or above)is to make the whole ui oversized and crowded. Dialog text really needs to be a separate option!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The character creation UI needs an undo button. It's got a reset all values button but not an "undo" button like the current tailor. This is a bit of a problem because if one simply wants to undo the most recent option one can't. Instead a player would have to reset all options for that selection.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    All I can say is its just horrible. It looks like it was done by IT people and not actual designers. I find its an eyesore.

The dialog windows are simply too big. We has this issue in Beta and the were reduced IIRC. Very intrusive.

I think my big issue is that all they have done is used a less attractive design but didnt actually improve or change anything that needed to be changed.

Changing the color scheme doesnt help (and too be honest most of the colors used for those are awful). I just dont want to look at that mess.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guys - sometimes change for the sake of change is lame. The interface that I see begin tested on tribble looks like a bastardization of the Windows 8 interface and that of a microwave oven. Sharp corners, blockier text; an interface that is more akin to cheap flash-based games than anything else - this is not wheat we need.

I feel like we're changing things just to show "Overhaul!!!111!!!" instead of true functionality benefits.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And to me it seems like the most LCARS version of a UI the game has had yet.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

If by "most" you mean 1% more, then sure. It's *most*
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know, Windows 8's UI is based off a decade of touch based devices before it.
  • mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Bunch of whiners, the new UI is great. You can even change the color scheme to something you like. People hate changes, but sometimes it's necessary to keep the game fresh.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Looks distinctly 'Star Treky' to me.

Did you try the "TNG" color scheme? it's great.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If by "most" you mean 1% more, then sure. It's *most*
    The goal is to try and emulate certain aspects of the IP. For the last 3 years nothing of the UI was even remotely Star Trek. The new UI gives a distinctly Star Trek feel. Trek fans appreciate that.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the new interface as well. I love the new trait system, I say carry on.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I for 1 love the new Ui it is more trek!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mn03 wrote: »
    Did you try the "TNG" color scheme? it's great.

I'm more familiar with Voyager, so I use that scheme. In fact, I don't remember seeing the TNG scheme anywhere, even in TNG. :confused:

Makes me feel like I were playing ST: Hidden Evil, though. :o

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Yes, and LCARS was from 40 years ago in the TNG era - we should be PAST it in the 25th century. And I really dislike the new NPC dialog screen for a number of reasons:

1 - The Viewscreen portion is TOO BIG - and really distracts the eye from the text that's now in the bottom left portion and said text is now HARDER TO READ

2 - Unlike the window that we're had for 3+ years, the new window doesn't remember/retain its position if moved - it ALWAYS pops in the center of the screen and is TOO BIG (sorry that a real pet peeve for me)

As to the viewscreen graphic used - I never did like then TNG Galaxy viewscreen - but now I see it regardless of the type of ship I fly. If you guys go with this thing just rename the game to "TNG Online" and be done with it. I also find it ridiculous to see a Boff (which should be standing right next to me on my bridge) in/on the main viewscreen. I don't think anyone was really complaining all that much about the NPC window we've used for 3 years; so this major change just seems like change for change's sake; and again, the focus of the window should be easily readable text - not some huge photoshop graphic with my Boff in it. Please give us an option to keep the 'old' movable NPC interact text window if we so desire.

I can live with the rest of the new interface, but to have a HUGE un-resizable/unmovable box that always pops in the center of the screen - along with the fact that it's the box that you're supposed to see/read important game text from - yet the text area is smaller, out of the way, and now harder to read/notice = someone needs to realize the function of the window in the UI and realize the most important aspect isn't the NPC graphic, but the text a player NEEDS to read to progress.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited April 2013
    Yes, and LCARS was from 40 years ago in the TNG era - we should be PAST it in the 25th century. And I really dislike the new NPC dialog screen for a number of reasons:

1 - The Viewscreen portion is TOO BIG - and really distracts the eye from the text that's now in the bottom left portion and said text is now HARDER TO READ

2 - Unlike the window that we're had for 3+ years, the new window doesn't remember/retain its position if moved - it ALWAYS pops in the center of the screen and is TOO BIG (sorry that a real pet peeve for me)

As to the viewscreen graphic used - I never did like then TNG Galaxy viewscreen - but now I see it regardless of the type of ship I fly. If you guys go with this thing just rename the game to "TNG Online" and be done with it. I also find it ridiculous to see a Boff (which should be standing right next to me on my bridge) in/on the main viewscreen. I don't think anyone was really complaining all that much about the NPC window we've used for 3 years; so this major change just seems like change for change's sake; and again, the focus of the window should be easily readable text - not some huge photoshop graphic with my Boff in it. Please give us an option to keep the 'old' movable NPC interact text window if we so desire.

I can live with the rest of the new interface, but to have a HUGE un-resizable/unmovable box that always pops in the center of the screen - along with the fact that it's the box that you're supposed to see/read important game text from - yet the text area is smaller, out of the way, and now harder to read/notice = someone needs to realize the function of the window in the UI and realize the most important aspect isn't the NPC graphic, but the text a player NEEDS to read to progress.

Ok, I'm not too fond of the new dialog window either. It's a disaster.

But the rest of the UI is perfect.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree, please make the information font from the NPC's LARGER and the pop-up box smaller.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Make EVERYTHING about the new UI smaller except for the text. Not everybody has a larger screen to play on...I'm on a 17" screen and the new UI is a complete disaster for me. almost unplayable, it really is that bad.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there is a place to make the Ui smaller same place you can do it now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have actually grown to like the new UI, despite my first hatred of it. Yes it still looks like they took styling ques from windows 3.1, but I love that I can use one theme for all factions.

The only thing I really really still hate, is the obnoxiously large popup windows. Why are they so large for such small information?
    Please give us the option to change all windows to something we want.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited April 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I have actually grown to like the new UI, despite my first hatred of it. Yes it still looks like they took styling ques from windows 3.1, but I love that I can use one theme for all factions.

The only thing I really really still hate, is the obnoxiously large popup windows. Why are they so large for such small information?
    Please give us the option to change all windows to something we want.....

I -hate- how I -have- to use one theme for all factions. :mad: