test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Holding Costs -- full details on how much it costs to finish

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This thread deserves a sticky. The information provided is very usefull for every player of STO that visits these forums and it would be nice if it could be easily located in the future. Mods., please make it so!

Big thanks to the OP for his effort.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I play around 3 hours per day, which is about average for what most gamers play their selective game

I think you mean average among gamers with no families and possibly no job.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    I am not trying to pick a fight but let's get serious here. 10 months is approximately 300 days. At 8K dilithium, it is 2,400,000 or about 1/2 what you said you earned. Obviously, you could do it on 2+ toons. It takes me about 2-3 hours to grind 8K dilithium on my Kling. So we are talking about 6 hours a day grinding dilithium.

Now maybe you are super efficient but we are still talking about hours of grind day in and day out non stop for 6 months. Obviously, if you have dozens of active members contributing on a regular basis it is much easier. This does not include any of the other costs including the obtaining "doffs" and supplies.

In terms of man hours, we are talking about several peoples doing a part / full time job. :)

The thing is that it's much harder and time consuming to hit the 8.000 dilithium cap on a single char than to have 2 chars grinding 4k per toon or even 4 chars refining 2k each.

It's easily possible to "grind" between 3.000 and 4.500+ dilithium (depending on doff assignment crit luck and CD) just by logging in for 4-5 minutes each day per character and never leaving Sol. (turn in contraband, relocate/resettle colonists, dilithium mining, academy quiz). Go through 10 characters in an hour and you'll get your 30-50k+.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    I think you mean average among gamers with no families and possibly no job.
    As I said above, most people watch around 2.5 hours of TV per day. Gamers substitute some TV time for gaming. While the average person with a family is sitting around from 8-10:30 watching the CBS lineup a gamer is sitting in front of a console or computer. Gaming isn't taking any more time away from the family then TV already does - and it certainly has no impact on your job.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I said above, most people watch around 2.5 hours of TV per day. Gamers substitute some TV time for gaming. While the average person with a family is sitting around from 8-10:30 watching the CBS lineup a gamer is sitting in front of a console or computer. Gaming isn't taking any more time away from the family then TV already does - and it certainly has no impact on your job.
    Add to that there are some families that play MMOs together, with the TV off all night long.
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nicha0 wrote: »
    I ran these numbers a while back, when we first got our base to t4, I put a basic $7000 price tag on getting a t5 base, but that was mostly just dilithium costs. It'd be interesting to break it down each component completely to $, since we have an very real $ to ec, $ to dil ratio.
    I did this awhile back: http://bit.ly/STOFleetValue
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    You have to spend outrageous amounts of money in a P2W...er..I mean F2P game? !!!!! What!?!?!:eek:

Seriously people, is this really news? Moving on.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    adon333 wrote: »
    You have to spend outrageous amounts of money in a P2W...er..I mean F2P game? !!!!! What!?!?!:eek:

Seriously people, is this really news? Moving on.....

Yes, it really is news for at least three reasons.

1) From the original post: "We all knew it was expensive, but we never knew truly how expensive it was when we started." Information is good to have if you're considering whether to merge, start a new fleet, etc.

2) They changed the goalposts. We were originally given a rough idea on the dilithium of the most expensive projects (read: Tier 5 starbase upgrade) by Heretic to be 1.25 million dilithium with the non-upgrade, or daily, projects being 30,000 dilithium. The actual numbers are 3.6 million and 80,000 dilithium. That they roughly tripled the amount of dilithium of these projects is why the minimum costs to complete a starbase stands at 23,335,750 dilithium today. I had posted on this back in October.

3) They're re-evaluating costs. See original post for the transcript from DStahl's Priority One interview. It is still unclear if this is going to be for all currencies (i.e. just dilithium?), all tiers (i.e. just making tiers 1-3 cheaper), or for all fleet sizes (i.e. putting in a scaling cost where fleets below 30 pay 50%, fleets below 100 pay 80%, fleets below 300 pay 90%, etc.)
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Well if they lower costs i hope we get some compensation based on the amount of fleet credits we earned. I know they offered veteran boffs to people who got ripped off before the F2P conversion, I do hope they do something similar if they reduce costs.

Well I am sure there are a lot more than you or me who would want a refund or some compensation. I would say half the players in the game are now in T4+ starbases or very close - so thats a LOT of players that may be irritated by lowering the prices.

I don't buy the helping small fleets thing for 1 second - or it would have been done months ago. I firmly believe that it is because X amount have made it to T5 and past T4 - so they are already committed and it's ok to TRIBBLE them.

The rest can still be milked more if they lower the amounts - that's the only logical reason - helping small fleets my behind.

Of course it's just my opinion - they could be doing this out of the kindness of their hearts for small fleets - and not care about the larger ones - and all their effort.
    edited April 2013
    Well I am sure there are a lot more than you or me who would want a refund or some compensation. I would say half the players in the game are now in T4+ starbases or very close - so thats a LOT of players that may be irritated by lowering the prices.

I don't buy the helping small fleets thing for 1 second - or it would have been done months ago. I firmly believe that it is because X amount have made it to T5 and past T4 - so they are already committed and it's ok to TRIBBLE them.

The rest can still be milked more if they lower the amounts - that's the only logical reason - helping small fleets my behind.

Of course it's just my opinion - they could be doing this out of the kindness of their hearts for small fleets - and not care about the larger ones - and all their effort.

While there are several fleets that have hit Tier 5, one must keep in mind out of the approximately 17 thousand fleets it is still <1% at that level. Tier 4 starbases are probably under 5% of the total fleets. However, one must also consider that while there are few Tier 4 and 5 fleets, they do usually have several hundred people in them.
    edited April 2013
    While there are several fleets that have hit Tier 5, one must keep in mind out of the approximately 17 thousand fleets it is still <1% at that level. Tier 4 starbases are probably under 5% of the total fleets. However, one must also consider that while there are few Tier 4 and 5 fleets, they do usually have several hundred people in them.
    Exactly right. Only the smallest percentage of Fleets are currently at T4+. Heck, my Fed Fleet is not completely at T4 yet and my KDF Fleet is not completely at T3 - and that is with over 400 individual members between the two Fleets.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I'm pretty sure those in T4 fleets wouldn't mind a reduction in costs, especially if it got them to T5 faster. :rolleyes:

Yes, Cryptic should've designed the system better for smaller fleets, like they asked in testing. But we shouldn't ignore them.

You commented earlier that they shouldn't bend over for casual players, because of fleets of 3 or 4 people being able to hit T5. Well, how many of them are hardcore players? There is a difference, where casual players only can spend 1 or 2 hours online due to work and family. We shouldn't punish those players because of that.

Second, lets not forget that Stahl commented that they like to expand the fleet system. Well doesn't seem cost effective if you only expand the system for a small fraction of the playerbase. Especially when a couple of those tier 5 fleets are populated by 3 or 4 extreme hardcore players.

Also, I see Stahl wanting to help these casual fleets as part of a business decision. If these T1 and T2 fleets start getting access to T3, T4, T5 starships, Advanced and Elite Fleet gear, they would spend more in buying Dilithium or Fleet Modules. (Of course, some of the existing T4 and T5 fleets have been making a massive profit in selling the T4 and T5 fleet gear. :rolleyes:) So I see their move is to level the playing field than "TRIBBLE T5 fleets".
    edited April 2013

lets say 15 fleets at T5 - and avg of 350 per fleet so just those = 5000+ players

Maybe a few hundred at Tier 4 - lets say 300 - avg of 100 players = 30,000
    So over 35,000 players are in T4 or higher fleets

I would say that is a good percentage of the active playerbase of the game.

I would say NO reduction is needed for T0 to T4

we don't need people with 5 members getting a T5 starbase - the idea is silly.
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure those in T4 fleets wouldn't mind a reduction in costs, especially if it got them to T5 faster. :rolleyes:

So I see their move is to level the playing field than "TRIBBLE T5 fleets".

By this I assume you mean - take advantage of more players? let's be honest the fleet starbase system is a 100% pure P2W thing.
    edited April 2013
    lets say 15 fleets at T5 - and avg of 350 per fleet so just those = 5000+ players

Maybe a few hundred at Tier 4 - lets say 300 - avg of 100 players = 30,000
    So over 35,000 players are in T4 or higher fleets

I would say that is a good percentage of the active playerbase of the game.

I would say NO reduction is needed for T0 to T4

we don't need people with 5 members getting a T5 starbase - the idea is silly.
    I love when people throw around imaginary numbers just to try and make their point. :)

And as Azurianstar clearly point out, there's an economic advantage to Cryptic for people getting to higher Tiers faster. Their goal is to make money. :)
    edited April 2013
    I love when people throw around imaginary numbers just to try and make their point. :)

And as Azurianstar clearly point out, there's an economic advantage to Cryptic for people getting to higher Tiers faster. Their goal is to make money. :)

No I have said that - I don't believe the "we want to help small fleets" line - it's purely numbers - they have run numbers and the milk is running dry so they want to tap some more people.
    edited April 2013
    No I have said that - I don't believe the "we want to help small fleets" line - it's purely numbers - they have run numbers and the milk is running dry so they want to tap some more people.
    Everything in business is purely numbers. By helping X they benefit from Y outcome. It's just that simple. Most Fleets aren't making it to T3 and Cryptic is losing sales on T3, T4, and T5 items. So they adjust.
    edited April 2013
    Everything in business is purely numbers. By helping X they benefit from Y outcome. It's just that simple. Most Fleets aren't making it to T3 and Cryptic is losing sales on T3, T4, and T5 items. So they adjust.

In business you also have to be careful that you don't TRIBBLE off your daily customers who are very active with you - just to try to tap some casual customers who are off and on.

Some retailers have got burned badly by doing this.
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Full details on Fleet holdings cost:

Too much

*Censored myself so someone else doesn't come do it for me*

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    In business you also have to be careful that you don't TRIBBLE off your daily customers who are very active with you - just to try to tap some casual customers who are off and on.

STO is a FTP game with a FTP mindset. Hundreds of new players come every day and hundreds of old players leave. That's just the way FTP games are designed to function. The goal is to get everyone to spend a little. Not to get one particular group to spend a lot or to keep everyone here forever.

And people on this forum get pissed off at the drop of a hat. People get pissed that it costs too much and then they get pissed that the cost is reduced. It's just the nature of people in this modern cyber age. :)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    By this I assume you mean - take advantage of more players? let's be honest the fleet starbase system is a 100% pure P2W thing.

Everything in STO is a P2W thing. :rolleyes:

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Those people I know who are in these T5 fleets, the majority of them have no qualms about helping other fleets get to Tier 4 or 5 faster. In fact some hope that Cryptic will soon add Tier 6.

So unless you are those who are making massive killings in making a profit off selling T5 ships and gear, its in the best interest of the community for Cryptic to help casual players.
    edited April 2013
    Well whatever I say or think means diddle squat - so Meh. Cryptic will do whatever Cryptic wants - regardless of anything said on the forums.
    edited April 2013
    Well whatever I say or think means diddle squat - so Meh. Cryptic will do whatever Cryptic wants - regardless of anything said on the forums.
    Cryptic will do what they think is best for them, just as you do in your life, and just as I so in my life. It's not complicated.
  • brigonos1brigonos1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally I do NOT approve of reducing costs on anything below T4

What Mr Stahl mentioned could mean that all the hard work that most people put into starbases is going to be "devalued"

I suspect that they may reduce dilthium costs. That and doffs are the only real problem. Fleet marks are rediculously easy to get and so is EC.

What really makes me burn with anger is the possiblity that they are considering this to help out small fleets - not likely - most likely they have looked at the number of fleets past T4 and said that is about all that will make it under the current system - they have already spend all there time and money so it's ok if we TRIBBLE their hard work over - not like we will give them a refund!! LOL

There is ZERO reason under the existing system that a fleet of 5 cannot make T4

I know I mentioned him lots - and get the old - well he is a hardcore player - but there is 1 guy who has completed all 3 sections/upgrades of a TIER 4 (four) starbase SOLO!! - The only reason he has not done the T4 upgrade is hoping they do reduce the dilithium cost.

This is Rediculous - 1 guy can build a T4 starbase - and all the small fleets are whinning that they can't? So cryptic has to reduce costs and devalue the hard work many of us in 10 person fleets(not including my KDF side which is 400+) have put in to move to T5

Its total BS

So what now because of these small fleet whinniers we very likely could have a SOLO T5 starbase by the end of the year! - yeah its a hard system all right!

Just as no one but you cares at all what your fleet has accomplished, no one but you can delvalue your accomplishments.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At 100/dil per zen, 30,000,000 dilithium is $3,000 dollars. It is also equal to 3,750 toon-days of farming the dil cap.

The fleets are designed to be around 25 people. That is $120 or 150 days per person.

Then again, do you need a T5 starbase?
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you wanted to minimize energy credits to 585,070,750 (and I'd suggest you use a Ferengi character, a Tuffli freighter, and get access to the embassy commodity console for discounts off this base cost) you'd have to pay an extra:

Last time I sent my Ferengi to the Embassy Commodity console no discount was being applied at all. It showed as base cost as shown on wiki. That said it would be nice for small fleets to be able to just get to T1 without a huge amount of grind. The current CE event is my current hope for the large amount of fleet marks I am missing.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited April 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Last time I sent my Ferengi to the Embassy Commodity console no discount was being applied at all. It showed as base cost as shown on wiki.

The quote of mine was referring to three separate options to reduce EC costs, not necessarily needed in conjunction. The Lobes trait for Ferengi characters is supposed to give a 20% discount and the embassy console gives some commodities at 75% of base price. Though a dev (Borticus) has explained that Ferengi will not get a discount on the embassy's commodity console if it was not meant to be so, it appears this should be the case since 80% of 75% base cost is 60% base cost -- one can only generate unlimited funds if base cost is <50% (even the exploitable Deferi vendor from 2010 only gave 60% of base value).
    edited April 2013
    Some things I'm really curious about the details on are and if, or when, the following will happen:

1) Fleet alliance system. Presumably small fleet can access big fleet's stores, and large fleet just has a place for excess alts?

2) Fleet merger system. While combining store provisions would be common sense, how would this work in terms of the fleet holdings' XP? A 1:1 gain is far too easy to exploit (get a couple dozen people to spend a week or two leveling up to Tier 1, then combine and get instant Tier 5 would be met with a ton of outrage).

3) Costs being reduced across the board. When? May 21 is coming up and would be the most logical time, especially since the costs are constants currently -- literally just a number in a database to be changed as the devs see fit. How much? Costs being reduced by dilithium, or fleet marks, or duty officers, or commodities, or some combination? For whom? This has been mentioned in regards to small fleets, but would it be for fleets of all sizes?

4) The third fleet holding. It was previously mentioned by Dan Stahl that it'd be either a dilithium mine, colony, or outpost, but that it won't be launched on May 21. Is this still going to be before their next December update (now known as Season 8)?
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Glad to see they are finally capitalizing on what they said forever ago(that small fleets would eventually get to the same tier). The time investment v fleet count v rewards has been wonky for bases for a long time.
    edited April 2013
    Glad to see they are finally capitalizing on what they said forever ago(that small fleets would eventually get to the same tier). The time investment v fleet count v rewards has been wonky for bases for a long time.

Probably, but not definitely -- or at least not in the way everyone wants and/or expects. Stahl said he wants to drop prices across the board and it's been sent to the systems team for their proposal.