test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,799 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You are free to think what you want :) But I am stating my opinion about this garbage UI design in hopes that they will give us the option to use the old one.

This new design could be good, but in its current state on tribble, it is not. It is low res, low quality texturing. And some kind of magical/fantasy gaming fire on the selection screen when u select a character...just wierd, I thought I quit playing WoW awhile back. As a lifetime subscriber, I will be sad that my money went into something that apparently took 4 minutes to code.

But the UI in game does appear to be something designed on windows 3.1 in the 90's. If they want to keep it the way it is, fine by me, but let us use the old system that is in place now.

Thanks

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say. :cool:
  • Options
    sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually like the new UI options. They seem more out of the way yet still there and useful, more integrated with the game view. Though I do agree that the original looks should also be included as options. For those that don't like the new look.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • Options
    fleetsolvanguardfleetsolvanguard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please Do not change it, you are going in the right direction. what you have on tribble as of today is perfect. Also please do away with the current holodeck UI completely.
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please Do not change it, you are going in the right direction. what you have on tribble as of today is perfect. Also please do away with the current holodeck UI completely.

Please don't:rolleyes:
  • Options
    morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I agree, the game actually looks good now...the old UI was one of the things that made it looks ugly, even the beta one from pre release videos looked better. It needs work, but its better than whats on holodeck thats for sure.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally I like the minimalist look of the UI now. I just wish it would all go slightly transparent unless being moused over.
  • Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if it's because of the patch today, but the UI seems less glitchy, and much easier to deal with now.

I'm playing on 1920x1280 though so I can't speak for the low rez experience.

Also, did they make some massive graphical improvements or something? I play max settings on live and Tribble, and everything is MUCH sharper and brighter on Tribble.

Space combat on live looks like a game circa 2000, and on Tribble, looks amazing.

I'll echo what others have said about Voyager and TNG having bad font colors that blend into certain buttons, though I still found it to be readable. It may be an issue of certain gamma/brightness settings. I don't know.
  • Options
    morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if it's because of the patch today, but the UI seems less glitchy, and much easier to deal with now.

I'm playing on 1920x1280 though so I can't speak for the low rez experience.

Also, did they make some massive graphical improvements or something? I play max settings on live and Tribble, and everything is MUCH sharper and brighter on Tribble.

Space combat on live looks like a game circa 2000, and on Tribble, looks amazing.

I'll echo what others have said about Voyager and TNG having bad font colors that blend into certain buttons, though I still found it to be readable. It may be an issue of certain gamma/brightness settings. I don't know.

I noticed the game looks better on Tribble as well, but ive been told its a trick of the mind or something.
  • Options
    cutedge242cutedge242 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow, I really love the new UI. It could possibly be slimmed down in some places (there is a bit too much border on the edge of the chat box, etc, but overall it feels so much more Trek to me.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont know itf its a bug or working as intended but the new colour pallet choices (which i love) so not stick per character.

for example, if you have the klingon hud, all characters have it as klingon.

i was hoping to have different characters use different hud colours. now i can technically change them every time but thats a bit of a pain.

can it be changed so that your preference per character stays?
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When i was talking to a romulan on the new drozona, and asked her about herself, the text was being slightly cut off on the left hand side. you could still read it but it just looked scruffy. seems the box needs to be made fractionally bigger.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The character Health/Sheild info boxes are too bulky and black. it's very easy to get covered up depending on screen size and resolution. They REALLY need rescaled (And the black borders are just plane hideous on them)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    mikelmothmikelmoth Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the frames that indicate that a space-weapon is autofiring are too fine. They're barely visible.
    Another thing: Although I like the idea to use the big viewer as frame for people's heads while communicating in space it doesn't exactly make much sense for Bridge officers to use it to talk to their own captain. Also Klingons wouldn't use a viewer that looks like it should be in a Federation starship. Maybe this frame in the comm-window could be adapted to be faction specific, so that Feds use a Federation viewer, Klingons a klingon-style viewer and maybe even situation specific, so bridge officers use the comm window used on the ground and NPC that are not on the player ship appear in the viewer.
    Otherwise I like the new UI. Especially the option to chose a colour-scheme. I don't see colours very well and red on black is difficult for me to discern, now I can actually play the Klingon faction without overstressing my eyes!
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The UI seems to have been designed for large screens. Some things don't look quite right on small resolutions. I hope that the UI can be tweaked to look good on all resolutions.

I have taken screenshots and edited the JPEGs to include comments on how I think the UI can be improved. These screenshots were taken after I reset the HUD to default. The interface scale is 1.00.

1. The gaps between the health bars and between icons in the trays are too big. I would prefer that these gaps be removed or made smaller.

http://i.imgur.com/lBcj0k7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Q4t8urS.jpg

2. Some parts of the HUD are unnecessarily big and take up too much space.

http://imgur.com/5Guqjmu.jpg
    http://imgur.com/uJe3rRl.jpg

3. The rectangular shape of the health bars and certain buttons don't fit the look of the rest of the UI. Perhaps, they should have rounded ends.

http://imgur.com/lpdZ7fo.jpg
    http://imgur.com/APvhIZZ.jpg

4. The NPC heads in the dialogue window are too big. The emphasis on the text is lost. Emphasis should be restored to the text, where the important information is.

http://imgur.com/wY4ZiRQ.jpg
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think that when the UI changes into red alert, the red should be brighter, to be more like the ((ALERT)) icon that appears, than the very subdued, dull maroonish colour that it currently is. It would be a more obvious change and clearer (if it's not by the combat) that you're in combat.

I made an example (click me!).
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont know itf its a bug or working as intended but the new colour pallet choices (which i love) so not stick per character.

for example, if you have the klingon hud, all characters have it as klingon.

i was hoping to have different characters use different hud colours. now i can technically change them every time but thats a bit of a pain.

can it be changed so that your preference per character stays?

Yeah I'm hoping this is a work in progress thing. Because having the option be universal defeats the purpose of faction-specific schemes.

Custom will be neat, when it comes too.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    frogarfrogar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    did anyone noticed that when the universal borg console visual is enabled you get a glowing thing underneath your characters feet in the status window?
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    I think that when the UI changes into red alert, the red should be brighter, to be more like the ((ALERT)) icon that appears, than the very subdued, dull maroonish colour that it currently is. It would be a more obvious change and clearer (if it's not by the combat) that you're in combat.

I made an example (click me!).

I wonder if it can be made to pulse like the red alert icon too?

Incidentally, I wish the in-game maps looked more like this as well: LCARS Stellar Cartography. Especially the little brackets around star systems, that would look a lot better than the white orbs we currently have.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I'm sure they're chomping at the bit to satisfy a customer who gives that kind of feedback.

:rolleyes:

Well if they are not listening to feeback like mine, they are going to lose paying customers..i will be one of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Hey, take off your rubber helmet so you can actually see how terrible it looks.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I love the new UI. It's heads and shoulders better than the current UI which is horrible. The new UI actually looks like LCARS and the game actually looks like a Star Trek game now...

Take off your runner helmet as well, you obviously can not recognize low res textures.
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »

Agh, no, I'd rather not have to forgo eating for an hour before playing.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    kurtzroykurtzroy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Other then a few nitpicks I think the new UI looks pretty cool. Looks better then the old UI for sure. Touch up the res a bit, brighten up the Red alert color change etc.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »

Incidentally, I wish the in-game maps looked more like this as well: LCARS Stellar Cartography. Especially the little brackets around star systems, that would look a lot better than the white orbs we currently have.

That would be pretty cool. It doesn't look too bad mocked up quickly, badly and low-rez..

I'd like to see a map style update in the footsteps of the UI.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agh, no, I'd rather not have to forgo eating for an hour before playing.

Point taken. Still think it should be a brighter red though. :)
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The TNG and Voyager color schemes have the side effect of making pop-up buttons too bright to read easily.

For example, next to a Dabo Table the "Play Dabo!" button has white text on a pale yellow-y button that's so bright you can only barely see the words "Play Dabo!" if you look directly at it. Hovering your mouse over it is the only thing that lets you read the labels on the buttons.

Nitpick issue: Space UI has changed so much that my adjustments on Holodeck to work with both Fed and KDF BOFF slots has turned into a joke. Some of the UI widgets overlap each other now because their borders are a few pixels too wide. The Boff tray for example now takes two columns instead of one so my Power Tray overlaps it and hides a good few of my Boff lists. Yeah I could use the Power list key to slot my powers, but my method was easier and a bit faster than scrolling a box. :)
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Take off your runner helmet as well, you obviously can not recognize low res textures.

Well... I dont know what a "runner" helmet is... but, running I'm this game a 1920x1080... and the UI looks fantastic. There are some niggly little bits of the UI that still need work (the interact buttons primarily), but over all, the UI looks great.

The new Ship and Character status windows are great, I love being able to view my ships properly.

The majority of the new UI scheme is perfect, it just needs polish and touch ups. But there is nothing low res about it.

The current holodeck UI is atrocious, and I'm glad its being done away with. Thomas the cat has done a great job with the UI.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well... I dont know what a "runner" helmet is... but, running I'm this game a 1920x1080... and the UI looks fantastic. There are some niggly little bits of the UI that still need work (the interact buttons primarily), but over all, the UI looks great.

The new Ship and Character status windows are great, I love being able to view my ships properly.

The majority of the new UI scheme is perfect, it just needs polish and touch ups. But there is nothing low res about it.

The current holodeck UI is atrocious, and I'm glad its being done away with. Thomas the cat has done a great job with the UI.

This sums up my thoughts as well. I find the new UI an incredible improvement on the UI we've had since launch. It's inspired, clean, concise, and intuitive given the complexities of an MMORPG. The color choices are great, too, and capture the Trek essence we've been missing in the UI until now.
  • Options
    vyconis81vyconis81 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like both the new and old UIs.

For the new though, I would scale back the border widths a bit. The overlapping is not really needed as it can get in the way of clicking powers, weapons, interactions, etc.

Allowing us to choose custom color pallets the way we can with clothing, hair colors, etc. would be nice so we can tailor it to our tastes. And having the preset ones is cool too.

Overall I do find it a bit darker though and reminds me of when Voyager would go to Red Alert, how the entire room goes dark and the buttons really stand out even though they are dimmed a bit also yet have lots of black around them.

For the ground UI, I'm 50/50 split on liking/hating the target windows... I find it a bit blocky, literally, lol!

Will there be transparency added in a later update?
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't like the sliders in the character creator/tailor UI. Currently on holodeck there are vertical lines segmenting the sliders. I use those vertical lines as a guide when making 1 slider the same as another when adjusting head/body proportions. Any way you can add vertical lines to the sliders? It's too hard for me to gauge the sliders just by looking at them. It's a way for me to make body proportions more even. I go either on a vertical line or in the middle between them.

Also, I would like to see, for those who don't like the new UI, the old UI as a color scheme and call it "Classic" or something (I love the new UI and will probably use it though). This would please everybody. Those who don't like the new look can stick to the old, and those who do can switch. :)