test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any news on if they are going to give the option to revert back to the old UI that is live now? I have not noticed anything about it, despite the high amount of concerns with how hideous this new UI and all of its variants are.

If there is not going to be an option to use the old UI, ill take the 900 bucks a month i spend on this game and go back to swtor. It is bad too, but much more tolerable than this new UI. It is giving me a headache to look at it. The low res textures, the misaligned borders such as the Hull str % window at bottom with a crooked outline of my current ship..etc. Its bad, and worth leaving the game over unless I can use the old one.

This is with high end video card and maxed setting btw.

Thanks
  • scrimpinionscrimpinion Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If there is not going to be an option to use the old UI, ill take the 900 bucks a month i spend on this game and go back to swtor.

I submit to you, that if you you were spending $900/month on this game (which...just no), you're so passionate about it that you'd probably still play if someone from Cryptic came over and punched you in the stomach every time you logged on.

srsly dude, $900/month? is that in monopoly money? did you buy an LTS last week and then just multiply the number by 4 to get that figure?

<ETA>

lol, I just did some math...$900/month comes out to like, 2 bucks an HOUR if you sleep 8 hours a day, and play STO the rest of the time. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If there is not going to be an option to use the old UI, ill take the 900 bucks a month i spend on this game and go back to swtor.

Go ahead... *points at the door* Theres the door, dont let it hit you on the way out...

Seriously... if you have $900 a month to spend on this game... then you have much larger issues than the UI looking bad (in your opinion).

No... the old UI will not be coming back as an option... the old UI doesnt even exist on tribble, this new one completely replaces it. And I'd much rather the Devs continue to improve this one rather than try and get the old one functioning again for a few squeaky wheels such as yourself.

Embrace the change, or get out of the way, because its coming, like it or not.

Still love the new UI, once its polished, it'll look great. I get sad every time I switch back to holodeck...
    7NGGeUP.png

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The buff icons that appear above your ship status have timers that show how many seconds remain. In the new UI, the timer numbers now overlap with the buff icons, making the numbers difficult to read.

http://imgur.com/hRlknJm.jpg

ticket ID #34,822
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone that would spend $900 on a video game is not worth listening to for a host of obvious mental health reasons, never mind the ludicrous concept of $900 a month.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • merloidermerloider Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    UI Concerns:

- Is the new default scale supposed to be 1.1? Because the minimap text in the upper-right corner is blurry at 1.0 and lower.

- UI feels quite rough and basic. Is additional time going to be taken to polish the icons and the large blocks of interactive and non-interactive LCARS UI? My personal feeling is to give them a glassy appearance because, well, they're supposed to be on consoles, no?. Behind thick panes of glass Data can smash when his emotion chip is acting up? Look to the iPhone's default app icons for examples of what I mean.

- The black borders framing everything feel off to me, or perhaps the frame itself is overly large. Has it been tried with the LCARS forming the upper and left-most border only?

- The colour schemes are interesting but unless I'm mistaken, there's no custom option to plunk in values of my own design. I would love to fiddle with that.

UI Praise:

- I do enjoy the new contact window a great deal. The animation as it opens is a wonderful touch and the talking heads there are far more engaging than the head-and-torso shots from before. Less is definitely more here. I'd love to just have the console meep as opposed to the combadge chirp as the audio FX but I may be alone in this. Are there plans to have a visual transition for closing a window in addition to the new opening of one?

- I rather like the abundance of transparency. It just feels better than it did with the old UI.

- Performance has definitely seen some improvement. I thank you and my computer thanks you. d('-' ) I hope this in particular makes its way to Champions without delay.
  • daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Logged in to Tribble for a first look at the new UI and colors, and to put it very mildly, so far I don't care for it at all. I especially dislike the KDF theme on tribble. :eek:

Sorry Thomas :( I know you put a lot of time into this and appreciate the effort ... but I much prefer the current UI and KDF color scheme on holodeck and would rather keep them than go to what I saw on tribble.

DStahl mentioned in another thread that there is the possibility of players creating their own themes being considered, I hope this turns out to be true because it might be the only way to make the coming changes bearable if they don't improve in a big big way.
  • captainwestbrookcaptainwestbrook Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Again, I don't wanna be dramatic here by others, but I'm sure that it's work in progress..

The graphic of the UI itself and along with the font is very very pixelated.. you devs may wanna fix that first and foremost than anything because having nice touchs but pixelated UI and font is much worst.. so imo this should be your top priority, since that's what the players will be looking at first.

I have confidence by the next UI dedicated patch note the results will be better.. keep up the job so far..
    Join www.UFPlanets.com
    5 FED Fleets | 3 KDF Fleets - T5 Colony on both factions
    Mack.png
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When there is a enblem displayed in the contact pop-up window (e.g., dilithium store "contact"), it is very grainy. When you decrease the size of that window, that might be fixed anyways, tho...
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think on the character creator screen the box that lists your characters should be a lot wider. I noticed the one on holodeck is much wider and it helps fill the screen up and does not look as cramped and clustered.
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would appreciate it if they gave us the ability to resize the new contact popup because it is a little in your face with the size it is now. Also i think it could be a little too wide as well.

Also the way the interface works atm is that the text is squashed up on a left pane and the right pane often is blank which is wasting alot of ui space. I hope they do something about that because reading in a box that squashed up is a bit uncomfortable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The new UI takes me back to playing star trek starfleet academy on my old SNES

Yes its really that hideous

Its like playing on a 16 bit old school game console

I personally like the current UI on the holodeck its easier to understand and less .....well YUCK!!

The viewscreen NPC interface is nice but for heavens sake not during away missions thats just annoying.

Now the colors.......are we going for startrek online the cartoon?

I Like the character select screen with the ship in the background though for some reason my galaxy dreadnaught is not there...but my shuttle craft is lol

I concur with alot of players we should be given the option to choose which UI we want to use not be forced to use something we may not like at all.

In short this new UI may attract players who like an old school feel but nostalgia is a passing fad....the hardcore gamers may find this new UI annoying and leave the game over it.

So please add a UI select option for everyone dont just horse collar us with this hideous monstrosity.
  • sharialashariala Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's maybe not so pretty anymore. It is boxier, seems less streamlined. I personaly Do like the coloring options though. So I do think that's good.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I went through character creation and the new UI is as bad as it gets

This whole new process is real bad its clunky it does not like to work

I made a female character since i find females need more tweaking then males to make them look normal.

But the costume i wanted didnt load it kept setting me to antares costume

The body , face dimensions kept resetting to default

I just spent an hour trying to make a character and not getting anywhere fast.

I finally said to heck with this and played the tutorial......and things only got worse

Now then the pop up NPC view screens were annoying as hell and usually happend while in combat btw i was unable to fight while it was there.

Also the help pop ups are annoyingly to large and tend to get in the way and during the away missions when your attacking a borg NPC you see them and your picture cause they are aimed on you......that tends to clutter the screen.

Now then i get my first BOFF and i cannot modify her looks or uniform because you guessed it the same problem as during character creation.

Now i get to ESD and took the mission about changing costumes for the free change of course.....i went to the tailor and as soon as i clicked o the "Tailor" option...the game crashed..not once not twice not three times but 5 times in a row.

This whole new STO version should not be released its real bad and does not work

I say keep what you already got on the holodeck but use a few things from this version and update the older.

The faction select screen is nice the character select screen is nice but the rest is pure junk and does not work.

I guarantee you if you push on with this new look STO ayour gonna have a massive die off of players on this game due to its complexities and massive bug issues.

Also to note on the faction select screen it shows a black silohuette of a miranda class and other ships but it is just a dark outline and does not show the actual ship.

This whole new UI and other junk is like saying "How to kill your game in 5 easy steps"

Keep the old version and update it get rid of this clunky hideous monstrosity :mad:
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really can't understand the negative feedback on the new UI. Am I even playing the same game?
  • bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it would be great to have your bridge's viewscreen. I don't have the Galaxy bridge on my ship, and I don't think it should look that way. It doesn't sound too hard to integrate (I think), and it would AWESOME to see that.

Really, really great stuff otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For what it's worth, I do like the new UI; it does look a lot nicer and more Star Trek-y than the current one, but it is not without some flaws. For example, I found that scaling the UI to 0.81 at my current resolution (1366x768) made the dialogue pop up a lot more bearable and less IN YOUR FACE, at the expense of making some of the text difficult to read.

The new UI has several nice touches; the 'Red Alert' for one thing.

I would also echo the call for the view screen that pops up to match the one that matches your bridge.

However, like the others, I would also request that the character select screen display my main ship, not my shuttle. This is a problem I have noticed on Holodeck too, particularly if I have to repair injuries to my ship from a one-hit kill Borg attack; the ship injury screen will display my shuttle first, meaning I have to select my ship from the drop down. This is probably a coding thing, but is a bit annoying.

One thing I do miss is the 'captain's chair' from the character select screen though. I did like that the colour palette/background swapped between the rounded cool blue of the UFP and the angular red of the KDF when selecting the different characters. Maybe have the captain standing beside a window showing their ship in space instead, like we get during character creation when the captain's shown beside their light cruiser?

Tim
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Another thing I noticed is that the clock in the upper, left-hand corner of the minimap seems harder to read now. I'm not sure exactly why: it might be smaller now, or maybe, it's the color or font.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing I would say as a negative is that the map doesn't zoom out that far any more. No longer can I zoom out so that I can go from one side of (say) Beta Ursae to the other with a single click and no scrolling required.

And there's also the issue of text being kind of obscured by the yellow of the TNG/Voyager theme.

They're minor Quality of Life things, but they would improve the new UI no end!

Tim
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Since the GUI is being revamped a few requests
    • Could we have a more minimalistic GUI, with bare minimum graphic fidelity.
    • Exchange - Now that a third faction is being included, other faction BOFF/DOFFs NEED to be separated, and not show up in searches.
    • Exchange - Give us a button to match lowest listed price for the item we are listing for sale.
  • andyxvers2andyxvers2 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if you could include a UI option to change the "skin" back to the previous default UI that would be great.

right now in Tribble the UI, especially the Space combat UI, Looks almost like Atari 2600 graphics. the power levels i barely recognize the lock icons, and i can't make out the subsystem icons above them.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really can't understand the negative feedback on the new UI. Am I even playing the same game?

I wonder that myself.

I wonder how a LCARS border and some color changes make it look dated.

I see a lot of people complaining about pixelation, but I don't have any, I wonder if they set the resolution on Tribble to match their LCDs native resolution.

I see complaints that it got huge, while its about the same size on my screen, in fact I felt like there were more gaps between my UI elements then there were on Holodeck. Maybe they have their resolution wrong again?

I will agree that the new viewscreen dialog window is rather large and a tad awkward, and Character Selection and Character Creation are both still in development according to Dev comments I've seen, so I an understand some consternation about those elements, and I guess I can even understand ugly if you don't like the colors, but clunky I don't get, the layouts are virtually identical to live, with a new skin to them.

I'm not sure that clunky, ugly, or dated are good feedback anyhow, because if I were a dev I would know you don't like it, but that lacks the information to fix it. How would the UI be made uncluncky? How would it be made unugly? How would it be made undated?

For Reference:

Old UI

New UI
  • kurtzroykurtzroy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone that would spend $900 on a video game is not worth listening to for a host of obvious mental health reasons, never mind the ludicrous concept of $900 a month.

Couldn't have said it better.

Anyway, only real problem I have with the new GUI is the text is sometimes cut off when your Boff's or other NPC are talking too you. Overall it looks great I can't see how people like the old interface better.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    a few things ive noticed with the new ui and the new character customization generator .
    first i have found the game clock to be hard to see in the other color modes than the Defaults

also the character view in the character generator looks cluttered with the preset tabs in the way . if there location could be moved so not to block the character view for those that like to use the advanced settings .

all in all the new ui is nice . the character generator has some nice new touches .

as i get a chance to do more ill post anything else i find :)
  • suntarusuntaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I would like to know is Who requested this, Who designed this and who approved this to go as far as the test server. That time and money could have been better used repairing bugs, hashing out content for KDF and making Romulans their own seperate faction instead of having to join with the Federation or KDF. Thsi is really a waste of funds.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    suntaru wrote: »
    What I would like to know is Who requested this, Who designed this and who approved this to go as far as the test server. That time and money could have been better used repairing bugs, hashing out content for KDF and making Romulans their own seperate faction instead of having to join with the Federation or KDF. Thsi is really a waste of funds.

When you start your own Game Development company you can ask those questions and make those decisions.
    edited April 2013
    suntaru wrote: »

Pretty much anyone who hates the current UI on holodeck requested this. And its awesome and sorely needed.
    7NGGeUP.png

• heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    I wonder that myself.

I wonder how a LCARS border and some color changes make it look dated.

I see a lot of people complaining about pixelation, but I don't have any, I wonder if they set the resolution on Tribble to match their LCDs native resolution.

I see complaints that it got huge, while its about the same size on my screen, in fact I felt like there were more gaps between my UI elements then there were on Holodeck. Maybe they have their resolution wrong again?

I will agree that the new viewscreen dialog window is rather large and a tad awkward, and Character Selection and Character Creation are both still in development according to Dev comments I've seen, so I an understand some consternation about those elements, and I guess I can even understand ugly if you don't like the colors, but clunky I don't get, the layouts are virtually identical to live, with a new skin to them.

I'm not sure that clunky, ugly, or dated are good feedback anyhow, because if I were a dev I would know you don't like it, but that lacks the information to fix it. How would the UI be made uncluncky? How would it be made unugly? How would it be made undated?

For Reference:

Old UI

New UI

What this tells me is they optimized the ui elements for very high resolution screens. Even at 1440x900 I've had to scale the ui down to 0.8 just to make everything fit on the screen in a way that's tolerable.

If you want to see all the pixelization issues you aren't noticing, just set your ui scale down to 0.8 and you'll see all of it.

Here's a small comparison of the default layout (I reset it just before taking these screenshots just to be sure):

UI Scale 1.0 @ 1440x900

UI Scale 0.8 @ 1440x900

The pixelization is very obvious at 0.8. The UI doesn't look too terribly bad at 1.0, but elements are far too large to be useful (and they cover far too much of the screen).

If I'm going to give a reason the UI looks "dated," I'd point at square buttons with gradient backgrounds and aliased icons and text that look like they've been drawn in mspaint.

The whole visual style almost looks LCARS, except LCARS is supposed to be simple and minimalistic.

If I were to give feedback, it would just be to stop wasting so much space on my screen. I don't need, and certainly don't want, a 800x600 display to show me "Are you ready to beam down to Starfleet Academy? Yes/No." It covers a huge portion of the screen, and contact dialogs can often get in the way of what I'm trying to do with the current ui on holodeck, where they aren't that big. That problem is not just limited to the contact dialogs. The entire reputation UI is (and has been since launch) half wasted screen space. There are scroll bars a half a mile long in that menu just to select from maybe 30 options. Then there's the new tailor. Just go to the tailor and find the body scale slider which takes up maybe 20x100 px for the slider element, but houses it in a 500 px wide drop-down menu (I sincerely hope this one isn't intentional).

What I want is to see the information I need clearly and efficiently, and not the information I don't need, and by definition a large field of nothing is information I don't need.

It's neat that they are trying to use a nice visual style, but it's getting in the way of the actual function of user interface, which is to communicate information.

Oh, and one more thing. Can I please have my tick marks on sliders back? It's really nice to be able to tell where on the bar the slider is. And by "really nice" I mean absolutely imperative.
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Two things I've noticed, the inactive low priority interactions tab under the TNG and Voyager color schemes are almost illegible. Mousing over fixes this, but it the text should probably reversed from white (on a very light background) to black.

It would be really nice to have an option of some alternate aesthetics, a more angular one, and one more in line with the current layout, preferably that the player could adjust independently of the color scheme.

Also, and this might not be a real option, but it would be amazing to have an advanced tab where we can muck around with the colors manually, using the color picker, sort of like the old windows color customization window.
    edited April 2013
    heero139 wrote: »
    The whole visual style almost looks LCARS, except LCARS is supposed to be simple and minimalistic.

Heres the problem... LCARS was meant to be nothing... its was meant to look not busy.... but it had no meaning as far as what the buttons actually did... so if we wanted LCARS... every button would have a series of numbers/letters and no words at all and it would be completely unusable. So... you know having actual LCARS would... be bad. So we have LCARS-esque that actually works as a UI.

Also... get a bigger screen. The UI looks fine at .80 at 1920x1080. I'll have to get pictures next time I'm on tribble.
    7NGGeUP.png