What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online and Into Darkness - A wishful thought

1234568»

Comments

• catpaw25catpaw25 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rossi320 wrote: »
    Hey, first time poster but avid STO player here. Something that crossed my mind a while back that I'd like to see happen is that Cryptic will do something special for the release of Star trek: Into Darkness. Specifically, I would like to see the type of constitution class that the Enterprise was in the JJ Abram's movies be released as a special promotion for free, perhaps along with other FED ships from the movies like the Kelvin, the ships seen around spacedock and maybe even the shuttles. Say something along the lines that they were recovered from the Tholian's extra dimensional experiments like the mirror universe ships.
    Afterwards, have them as some sort of lock box item or veteran award. :cool:

I know this has probably already been asked and may also be contested. Heck, I'm not even sure I'm posting in the right section for this. However, I just really wanted to speak my mind and I would like the chance to get these ships in the game. So hopefully Cryptic reads this, or they are already on it. ;)

What part of "no" do you not comprehend? Multiple times this question has been asked, and multiple times the answer has (thankfully) been an unequivocal "no". Kudos to Cryptic and Perfect World for keeping Jar-Jar Trek neatly in its place where it belongs!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jesia Ti La'krim
    Admiral, 602nd Flying Tribbles
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That doesn't make it any less a border that North Korea agreed to recognize when it signed the Armistace.

You clearly don't understand the international significance of an armistice line versus a recognized border, but there is a significant difference. Just ask the Israelis and Palestinians.

No one pushed for intervention. It was a unanimous decision. No one forced these same countries that had just got done fighting a devestating world war to contribute, yet they did.

Because security council resolutions just spontaneously appear out of thin air, right?

Here is the actual text of the U.N. resolution regarding the Korean War.

Here is the meat of it:
    3. Recommends that all Members providing military forces and other assistance pursuant to the aforesaid Security Council resolutions make such forces and other assistance available to a unified command under the United States of America;

4. Requests the United States to designate the commander of such forces;

5. Authorizes the unified command at its discretion to use the United Nations flag in the course of operations against North Korean forces concurrently with the flags of the various nations participating;

6. Requests the United States to provide the Security Council with reports as appropriate on the course of action taken under the unified command.

Saying it was primarily an American war doesn't trivialize the contributions of other nations, it just acknowledges the reality of the situation.
  • catpaw25catpaw25 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You clearly don't understand the international significance of an armistice line versus a recognized border, but there is a significant difference. Just ask the Israelis and Palestinians.

Because security council resolutions just spontaneously appear out of thin air, right?

Here is the actual text of the U.N. resolution regarding the Korean War.

Here is the meat of it:

Saying it was primarily an American war doesn't trivialize the contributions of other nations, it just acknowledges the reality of the situation.

How did real-world politics get into this? I didn't think that's what STO was for.

Is there a moderator who could take a look at this thread? Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jesia Ti La'krim
    Admiral, 602nd Flying Tribbles
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    partly my fault I commented that Sulu is Japanese
    Live long and Prosper
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You clearly don't understand the international significance of an armistice line versus a recognized border, but there is a significant difference. Just ask the Israelis and Palestinians..

The Israelis and Palestinians don't have an internationally recognized border (hell, the Palestinians don't technically have a country, all of their territory is Israel but that is another can of worms.

Because security council resolutions just spontaneously appear out of thin air, right? .

I never said it did. I just said it was unanimous decision.

So I guess that means since Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander that made the European Theater an "American War."

Yes it does trivialize contributions. It ceased to be an "American War" the moment other countries contributed troops (hence United Nations Command, Korea).
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    You apparently are not a Female between the age of 9 and 45.

My wife, daughter and every single female I know loathes and detests Twilight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My wife, daughter and every single female I know loathes and detests Twilight.

And in the grand scheme of things that matters how?

There were probably two females that saw those films for everyone you know didn't.

I haven't seen Twilight, so I must reserve judgment. Don't think I'll ever see it. I lik vampires but I'm not much into love stories.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well maybe after it made the news the small girl kirsten or whatever that plays the main lead, slept with some director who had a wife.

I am pretty sure she is still known as the biggest *not so faithful* girl on the planet to this day.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    partly my fault I commented that Sulu is Japanese

Not partly your fault. It IS your fault. John Cho is Korean-American, and he played a Japanese character in the 2009 (and soon to be) 2013 movies. End of discussion.

Now leave the real world politics out of the thread (since you lost that discussion anyways), and get back to the thread topic, before a moderator decides to shut it down...
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want a Kelvin with TMP design aspects as a T-2 ship...

Then I want it to be made into a T-5 variant next.

:P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2013
    I want a Kelvin with TMP design aspects as a T-2 ship...

Then I want it to be made into a T-5 variant next.

:P

Akula Class: http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/9/8780/AloViewer_2010-08-10_14-01-10-95.jpg

Freedom Class: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Starfleet-Review/Starfleet-Review_Page_19.jpg

Saladin Class: http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/workbench/STrek/FJD-TechManual/SaladinClass1.jpg

Definite precursors to whoever designed the "Kelvin" for the 2009 movie. All of which, possible within Trek canon.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »

I wouldn't mind having all those also...

But none of them have the Secondary Hull on top.

:)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited March 2013
    I wouldn't mind having all those also...

But none of them have the Secondary Hull on top.

:)

True. But they were definitely the "inspiration" for what eventually became the Kelvin.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    Not partly your fault. It IS your fault. John Cho is Korean-American, and he played a Japanese character in the 2009 (and soon to be) 2013 movies. End of discussion.

Now leave the real world politics out of the thread (since you lost that discussion anyways), and get back to the thread topic, before a moderator decides to shut it down...

Sulu's American. He was born in San Francisco.
    edited March 2013
    Sulu's American. He was born in San Francisco.

Please..., stop spouting actual facts, as if they are actually important to this discussion.

;)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Please learn basic, BASIC Trek history before speaking.
    The Starfleet delta was originally the Enterprise delta, assumed by Starfleet as a whole to honor Kirk's successful 5 year mission, and abolishing the practice of individual symbols for each starship.

And that was never terribly consistent, particularly in retroactive material but also in TOS.

If somebody wants to show TOS ships a dozen different badges, there's precedent for that. If they want to show non-Enterprise vessels using the same delta as the Enterprise, there's also precedent for that. None of the explanations for why we saw those variant badges are canon. They come from reference materials and books and don't really mesh perfectly with what was shown in TOS.

Technically, going with Enterprise, that design seems to be a combination of several designs.

And Captain Kirk and the command in TOS were all wearing a MACO rank insignia (the five point star), which might suggest that Kirk and all command personnel in TOS were trained as marines. And the delta shape might just be a streamlined MACO shark.

And that's no more or less canon than the idea that the delta was unique to the Enterprise in TOS. (Technically, not canon at all because we saw other personnel wearing the delta. There is NO canon explanation for why different crews sometimes had different chest patches.)

But in any case, if you're going to show a ship for five minutes in a Star Trek movie and you want even casual fans to know it's Starfleet, you're going to put the delta on their chest. Not putting the delta on the chest of the Kelvin crew would be pedantic because it wouldn't be clear that they're Starfleet at all otherwise. I suppose they could have been outfitted in Enterprise jumpsuits or the outfit Garth of Izar and some officials wore but it's set in a missing era of Trek anyway. (I think there's probably a decent case to be made that the uniforms went from Enterprise to the Izar jumpsuits to the Kelvin look to the TOS look with variant chest patches. Likewise, there are some uniforms that were likely used between the Enterprise-C and the beginning of TNG that we see once or twice, like the WoK/TNG hybrid that Janeway's dad wore. Which I'd personally prefer to see retroactively adopted for Jack Crusher and the Stargazer-era.)

The key was just to signal to people who'd seen an episode of two of Trek that these folks are part of the same fleet as the Enterprises from the shows, while designing a better tailored and more futuristic looking design since you have a costume designer on staff. (The in-joke for fans was making command blue, as a way of showing that the colors rotated prior to Kirk the same way they later rotated again between TOS and TNG. Sortof, "Heck! If red is command after Kirk, maybe blue was command for awhile before Kirk.")