test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online and Into Darkness - A wishful thought

Comments

• smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My wishful thought is that the JJ franchise and STO are separated by several gigaparsecs at all times. I forsee the new Picard being some 20-something hipster wearing Plimsolls and a Satchel Bag as part of standard uniform.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    There is also animal cruelty

and way too much bare flesh

and phasers with recoil

And indeed weapons loaders which appear to indicate that the phaser is firing SHELLS

Typical response i've come to expect from you, sollvax. Answering without answering. Just rehashing the same arguments repeatedly (usually flawed arguments at that).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    Might one inquire, where you find these elements in the 2009 movie?

Kirk getting w/e syndrome where his hands grow big etc.

The dive onto the drilling platform (the guy ejecting too late is funny depending on your moral compass)

Scotty in the water pipe after they beam back aboard.

Chinese guy can't put the ship into warp.

I'd say it's closer to stan and laurel
    edited March 2013
    vestereng wrote: »
    Kirk getting w/e syndrome where his hands grow big etc.

McCoy used "questionable" medical solutions all the time in TOS.
    (A little suffering is good for the soul.)

The dive onto the drilling platform (the guy ejecting too late is funny depending on your moral compass)

Transporter offline. Death was purely "artistic" since it was a Redshirt. Plenty of dead Redshirts in TOS.

Scotty in the water pipe after they beam back aboard.

Transwarp-Beaming. Ship in motion, risk of ending up inside a bulkhead (or worse). Warned about in both TOS and TNG. Nothing new. But definitely funny.

Chinese guy can't put the ship into warp.

"Parking brake" was on. Granted, this one may be questionable, other than it being part of the inertial dampener controls.

I'd say it's closer to stan and laurel

Comedy exists in all Trek series at one point or another. "Double-dumbass on you too" for example.

Answers in red. Countered all of the above arguments. Next?
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    Huh?

We are debating the level or the type of humor, not if makes logistical sense to your take on canon (which I couldn't care less about, canon and your take alike).

I wouldn't say it's police academy type humor but it's for sure on the same infantile level.
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Answers in red. Countered all of the above arguments. Next?

Sure if by countered you mean made piddling apologetic and weak justifications for JJ's crass stupidity.
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Sure if by countered you mean made piddling apologetic and weak justifications for JJ's crass stupidity.

I'd argue that you just claimed Gene Roddenberry and the powers that be, were pretty damn stupid back in the 60s. Since they had exactly such elements in TOS, which I used as "counter arguments" to the above statements.

So who's stupid here? JJ? Gene? Both? None?
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    I'd argue that you just claimed Gene Roddenberry and the powers that be, were pretty damn stupid back in the 60s. Since they had exactly such elements in TOS, which I used as "counter arguments" to the above statements.

So who's stupid here? JJ? Gene? Both? None?

Except they weren't "exactly such", and yes some episodes of TOS are remarkably stupid, offensive and clearly written by either crack heads, idiots or both such as "Wolf in the Fold" or "Spock's Brain".

This justifies the fact JJ is a hack and a moron who knows nothing about Star Trek, basic science or basic storytelling how?
    edited March 2013
    vestereng wrote: »
    Huh?

We are debating the level or the type of humor, not if makes logistical sense to your take on canon (which I couldn't care less about, canon and your take alike).

I wouldn't say it's police academy type humor but it's for sure on the same infantile level.

Don't silent veto you stepping in the mud(d). I commented on the type of humor. Let's not pretend it didn't happen.

But to comment on canon, what does it matter. The JJ movie goes to show anyone can come out and do whatever they want - there isn't any reason to care.

As for TOS, TNG and whatever else sure that are plenty of things that are laughable even whole characters - another reason to not care.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    People who LIKED JJ trek never saw TOS
    or hated the series

I like TOS. I like JJ Trek. Point disproven.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited March 2013
    I like TOS. I like JJ Trek. Point disproven.

Same here. I've seen all 5 tv-shows more times than I can count, as well as all ELEVEN movies. But then again, I view all of it as what it's intended as: Entertainment

People like sollvax seem to regard (primarily) TOS, as the "Holy Grail" of all things Trek. Nothing else matters according to people like him. There's simply no convincing a person like him. Way to stick to your guns, sollvax. Learn to embrace IDIC, then come back to me with some proper arguments.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    It's intended as entertainment for people who don't think.
    That's fine for you evidentally. Unfortunately, I do think. So I cannot class anything JJ Trek as entertainment, but rather the kind of action schlock garbage that makes Spock's Brain look like Citizen Kane.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That's fine for you evidentally. Unfortunately, I do think. So I cannot class anything JJ Trek as entertainment, but rather the kind of action schlock garbage that makes Spock's Brain look like Citizen Kane.
    What exactly is it about your mental make-up that leads you to believe that anyone who likes something you do not like is somehow inferior or damaged?

If we all only liked the exact same things then life would be quite boring - and none of us would be here as we would all only be playing Wow.

Is it just possible for you to accept that your tastes in movies isn't the same as everyone else's and that maybe people should spend their money on whatever makes them happy rather than on only what you like?

You don't need to be constantly insulting and belittling people simply because they like things you do not like.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2013

Resorting to personal insults/attacks is the last ditch effort of a desperate person. Way to go.

Personally, i'm a rather frequent thinker. I think about things all the time. Right now i'm thinking of either watching a TOS episode or DS9 episode. Probably DS9 since it requires more "thought", and shows more humanity.

TOS Kirk was very much the "John Wayne"-archetype of the period, yet you guys revere him as some kind of 2nd coming / Messiah. TOS Kirk didn't meet a woman he didn't eventually hop in the sack with. And you guys are making a big deal out of JJ Kirk having sex with ONE woman. Please... Grow a pair.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    What exactly is it about your mental make-up that leads you to believe that anyone who likes something you do not like is somehow inferior or damaged?

If we all only liked the exact same things then life would be quite boring - and none of us would be here as we would all only be playing Wow.

Is it just possible for you to accept that your tastes in movies isn't the same as everyone else's and that maybe people should spend their money on whatever makes them happy rather than on only what you like?

You don't need to be constantly insulting and belittling people simply because they like things you do not like.

Thanks cosmic1. Atleast 1 person in this thread who understands the concept of IDIC. And for the rest of you intolerent b
    s: "Fresh minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant." Your revered Kirk said that. Learn to practice what your God teaches.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    I am not using insults. I am merely stating facts. ST 2009 has no actual plot, it is a stream of consciousness illogical mess strung together as a movie.
    The minute you put any actual thought into what's going on it falls apart. Why the universe is how it is, why Nero acts the way he does, why Kirk is so incompetent yet gets bumped from cadet to Captain, why red matter is magic, why Spock is a complete sociopath and so on.

Notice I'm not even getting into Kirk's promiscuity, you're focusing on that in order to strawman the entire issue. Which proves to me that no, you do not think when it comes to entertainment. You turn your brain off and sit there for an hour and a half like a potato.
    That is not Star Trek and never has been.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am not using insults. I am merely stating facts. ST 2009 has no actual plot, it is a stream of consciousness illogical mess strung together as a movie.
    The minute you put any actual thought into what's going on it falls apart. Why the universe is how it is, why Nero acts the way he does, why Kirk is so incompetent yet gets bumped from cadet to Captain, why red matter is magic, why Spock is a complete sociopath and so on.

Notice I'm not even getting into Kirk's promiscuity, you're focusing on that in order to strawman the entire issue. Which proves to me that no, you do not think when it comes to entertainment. You turn your brain off and sit there for an hour and a half like a potato.

100% agree with every thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited March 2013

2nd time in this thread where you've called me a non-thinking individual. Again, an insult. And in the same breath, you claim not to be insulting me? *laughable*

"promiscuity", Kirk making out with ONE woman, makes him a male TRIBBLE? If anything, it would be the Orion FEMALE that had that role. Seeing as she jumped in the sack with the first available "good looking male" she could find.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the plot. Must've blown right past you when Nero opened his mouth about wanting vengeance for the destruction of Romulus. Or when Old-Spock explained the situation during the mind-meld with Kirk. Or the whole alternate-reality explanation on the bridge of the Enterprise.

There are only 2 things that are inherently flawed in the movie; "Magical" Red Matter as you call it, and the fact that a Supernova in a neighbouring starsystem was capable of destroying another system. Both of which are explained, but unfortunately it required additional reading, in the form of a pre-movie comic series. So your argument is ultimately flawed; the 2009 movie did not require LESS thinking or understanding, but MORE so since it also requires you to read a 4-issue comic series to get the full understanding of the plot. Even without the comic series, the plot was entirely understandable to me, and most of my friends who also saw the movie (both Trek fans, and non-Trek fans, none of them had read the comics).

In closing, I urge you to quit with your insults just to make your points look better. It's certainly not helping your case at the moment. Rather than attacking people who liked the 2009 movie (such as myself), why not calmly explain what you didn't like, and why... Just saying "I don't like it." is not acceptable.
    daan2006 wrote: »
    100% agree with every thing

Here's a thinking man, right here. Can't fit any of his own arguments into a post, so he simply writes "100% agree". No more elaboration needed, I suppose. Thinking men just agree, and leave it at that.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    2nd time in this thread where you've called me a non-thinking individual. Again, an insult. And in the same breath, you claim not to be insulting me? *laughable*

"promiscuity", Kirk making out with ONE woman, makes him a male TRIBBLE? If anything, it would be the Orion FEMALE that had that role. Seeing as she jumped in the sack with the first available "good looking male" she could find.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the plot. Must've blown right past you when Nero opened his mouth about wanting vengeance for the destruction of Romulus. Or when Old-Spock explained the situation during the mind-meld with Kirk. Or the whole alternate-reality explanation on the bridge of the Enterprise.

There are only 2 things that are inherently flawed in the movie; "Magical" Red Matter as you call it, and the fact that a Supernova in a neighbouring starsystem was capable of destroying another system. Both of which are explained, but unfortunately it required additional reading, in the form of a pre-movie comic series. So your argument is ultimately flawed; the 2009 movie did not require LESS thinking or understanding, but MORE so since it also requires you to read a 4-issue comic series to get the full understanding of the plot. Even without the comic series, the plot was entirely understandable to me, and most of my friends who also saw the movie (both Trek fans, and non-Trek fans, none of them had read the comics).

In closing, I urge you to quit with your insults just to make your points look better. It's certainly not helping your case at the moment. Rather than attacking people who liked the 2009 movie (such as myself), why not calmly explain what you didn't like, and why... Just saying "I don't like it." is not acceptable.

Here's a thinking man, right here. Can't fit any of his own arguments into a post, so he simply writes "100% agree". No more elaboration needed, I suppose. Thinking men just agree, and leave it at that.

don't forget the..........supernova that threatens the entire galaxy

ps I can say 100% agree if I want nex time leave me out of you fight????????? ty have a bad day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited March 2013
    don't forget the..........supernova that threatens the entire galaxy

From Memory Alpha:
    "In Star Trek: Countdown, the official comic book prequel to Star Trek, the star which went supernova and destroyed Romulus was called the Hobus star. It is explained that the Hobus supernova was unlike any previously seen: as the supernova grew, it converted mass into energy, which increased its power and allowed it to expand. As a result, its threat reached beyond the Hobus system and potentially the entire galaxy."

Key word here: Potentially. Didn't necessarily mean it WILL threaten the entire galaxy. It's not a standard supernova, which is enough of an explanation right there. Surely the Enterprise of TOS encountered various anomalies/phenomena which defied standard science of the time? Again, nothing new.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    From Memory Alpha:
    "In Star Trek: Countdown, the official comic book prequel to Star Trek, the star which went supernova and destroyed Romulus was called the Hobus star. It is explained that the Hobus supernova was unlike any previously seen: as the supernova grew, it converted mass into energy, which increased its power and allowed it to expand. As a result, its threat reached beyond the Hobus system and potentially the entire galaxy."

Key word here: Potentially. Didn't necessarily mean it WILL threaten the entire galaxy. It's not a standard supernova, which is enough of an explanation right there. Surely the Enterprise of TOS encountered various anomalies/phenomena which defied standard science of the time? Again, nothing new.

go watch the fracking movie again and HERE what old spock says
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    go watch the fracking movie again and HERE what old spock says

I HEARD quite clearly, and transcribed the dialog for you:
    129 years from now, a star will explode, and threaten to destroy the galaxy.
    That is where i'm from Jim.
    The future.
    A star went supernova.
    Destroying everything in it's path.
    I promised the Romulans that I would save their planet.
    We outfitted our fastest ship.
    Using Red Matter, I would create a black hole, which would absorb the exploding star.
    I was enroute when the unthinkable happened.
    The supernova destroyed Romulus......

Don't see what point you are trying to prove here. Both in the Countdown comics, and in the movie itself, it's merely a POSSIBILITY that the super-supernova would destroy the galaxy. The comics explained why it was a super-supernova in the first place. Unfortunately, they did not keep that explanation in the movie.

So, come back to me when you have a valid argument, will you please?
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013

Actually I was stating that you do not think while watching movies, or Star Trek.
    So far everything you have said proves this assertion.

I was referring to Kirk's overall promiscuity, both prime and JJ Kirk. Do try to keep up.

Yes. Romulus.
    You mean. The Romulus. That still exists. That completely voids his entire reasoning. That he's actually jeapordizing by blowing up the ONE PLANET with the resources to save Romulus AND his wife.
    Again, Nero has no reason to do what he does in the way that he does it. Him screaming "IT HAPPENED I SAW IT HAPPEN" is irrelevant because he is a TIME TRAVELLER.

No plot should require external media to explain the most basic aspects of it.
    For that alone, it fails. Moreover the Countdown explanation is ludicrous as well, and still doesn't explain how the supernova can be cancelled out at the source when it's already happened.

Again, I never said you didn't think in general. You should stop taking things personally.
    I am merely stating that you did not think while watching ST 2009, because it is a fact that enjoyment of it requires you to not think. Your statement about Countdown proves that.
    edited March 2013

Don't see what point you are trying to prove here. Both in the Countdown comics, and in the movie itself, it's merely a POSSIBILITY that the super-supernova would destroy the galaxy. The comics explained why it was a super-supernova in the first place. Unfortunately, they did not keep that explanation in the movie.

if you want to buy in to all you want i don't!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013

That a supernova could even threaten to destroy the galaxy is ridiculous.
    That said supernova could be stopped at it's source after it's already happened by a black hole when supernovas can leave behind black holes is the kind of writing I'd expect from a 12 year old fanfic author.
    edited March 2013
    Again, I never said you didn't think in general. You should stop taking things personally.
    I am merely stating that you did not think while watching ST 2009, because it is a fact that enjoyment of it requires you to not think. Your statement about Countdown proves that.

First you tell me to stop taking things personally, and then you insult me further by claiming I do not think while watching movies? Just because I view it as a form of entertainment, does not make me shut off my mind and not think during my viewing. 1 does not preclude the other, Mr Professor, Sir.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    First you tell me to stop taking things personally, and then you insult me further by claiming I do not think while watching movies? Just because I view it as a form of entertainment, does not make me shut off my mind and not think during my viewing. 1 does not preclude the other, Mr Professor, Sir.

Again, not an insult, a fact derived from everything you've said.
    It's your choice to turn off your brain while watching movies, just don't expect me to.
    edited March 2013
    That a supernova could even threaten to destroy the galaxy is ridiculous.
    That said supernova could be stopped at it's source after it's already happened by a black hole when supernovas can leave behind black holes is the kind of writing I'd expect from a 12 year old fanfic author.

this 100% agree guess ive got to give a bigger explanation as to why i agree............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    Since I appear to be the object of ridicule and insults by both Mr Daan2006 and Mr Lizwei, I'll choose to simply step away at this point. Call it, an enlightened stance. I choose to stay above personal insults/attacks, rather than attack people who disagree with me. I respect other peoples opinions, even when they don't agree with me. Think about that, will ya?
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013

with me you lost all right to talk about insults here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Since I appear to be the object of ridicule and insults by both Mr Daan2006 and Mr Lizwei, I'll choose to simply step away at this point. Call it, an enlightened stance. I choose to stay above personal insults/attacks, rather than attack people who disagree with me. I respect other peoples opinions, even when they don't agree with me. Think about that, will ya?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Racism
    The oriental (who incidentally was Japanese not chinese) can't drive
    The Russian can't make himself understood
    The African sleeps her way to the top
    The Panda has a rage attack
    Live long and Prosper