test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online and Into Darkness - A wishful thought

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For the highlight parts, you have just become my favorite poster of the forums.

For the life of me, I will never, NEVER understand what has made Twilight so appealing. I forced myself to watch the first movie and it was by far the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life.

You apparently are not a Female between the age of 9 and 45.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    its a a vampire chick flick :)

I like vampires, and I like chick flicks.
    Twilight however is, if not penned by the hand of Satan himself, at least influenced by his associates.
    daveyny wrote: »
    You apparently are not a Female between the age of 9 and 45.

Bit of a generalisation there. There are many women who loathe Twilight, and as many men who, for reasons known only to themselves, like it.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Twilight however is, if not penned by the hand of Satan himself, at least influenced by his associates.

I'm pretty sure Lucifer would be a much better author than Stephanie Meyer.
  • rossi320rossi320 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For the highlight parts, you have just become my favorite poster of the forums.

For the life of me, I will never, NEVER understand what has made Twilight so appealing. I forced myself to watch the first movie and it was by far the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life.

Same with me actually. I remember a few years back at the end of year for school and some girls brought a copy to watch in my English class. Didn't even know what it was back then but it bored me to tears. Characters were just...meh, very, very meh and bland. Couldn't hear any other emotion other than angst.
    However, if people like I won't stop them. It's what they like and I'm not being forced to watch it (well, other then that one time).
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, it isn't a terrible movie in its own right, but there are so many inconsistencies with it that it can be frustrating. It Just seems JJ Abrams wanted to make a sci-fi movie more then a Star Trek one, so there are so many things that just don't make sense.

Just like Bruckheimer with the Transformers, doesn't give a damn about the story and is out to make a buck.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, it is. The writing is bad, the direction is bad, the production design is bad, the cinematography is bad, the acting is bad. There is nothing good about that movie.

That they butchered the TOS characters into caricatures to make them EXXXTREME is secondary to how horrible that movie is.

For once I agree with you. After watching that movie, I wondered if JJ just came up with a checklist of pop cultural references that non-trek people would recognize and used that as his bible of things to include in the film. Kirk has a reputation for sleeping with green women? Well, now he is an uncontrollable maniac who gropes Uhura and sleeps with an Orion to cheat on the big test! What are some catchphrases the general public knows about Star Trek? "I'm a doctor, not a ....", "I'm giving it all she's got, capt'n" great, throw it in there! What do we know about Sulu? He's a fencer? great, throw that in there! Since he's japanese though, you should make it a katana, and make him a master swordsman
    ! etc etc. I was rolling my eyes in practically every scene by the end.

transam83 wrote: »
    A few opinions here on these forums full of children really do not matter. Million of people liked the 2009 film, including myself.

That is why another film was made. It was not certain at first if Jj was going to direct another one until the overwhelming positive feedback he received from the fans that changed his mind.

So once again, your few meaningless opinions are moot at this point.

Callign everyone who doesn't agree with you children....nice.

You know those 'millions of people who liked the 2009 film?' A lot of the people who paid for tickets that made the film didn't like it, including myself. Numbers don't mean a whole lot if lots of people didn't like it.
    edited March 2013
    Nice to see some people giving the new movies some love. Almost thought I was alone for a minute. Not that that's a problem though. Even if everyone hated the new stuff, I grew on the original movies and films anyways (especially Kirk and Picard) so I'll definitely find common ground there if all else fails.
    edited March 2013
    Speaking of cheating on the Kobayashi Maru test. My god that was jackassery of the highest order.

Since Wrath of Khan we were led to believe Kirk did something so amazing that his instructors actually commended him for it.
    Then in the movie they finally get a chance to show it and... Kirk hacks the simulator and turns on god mode. I'm sorry, what? Who the hell would ever pass Kirk, let alone commend him for blatantly and shamelessly god moding?

That's original thinking? I think pretty much anyone with backdoor access to a program can cheat to make the enemies all die in one shot.
    Funny thing is it seems Nero's antics are the only thing that stopped Kirk getting the book thrown at him, so how did he get a commendation in the prime universe if he pulled that stupid TRIBBLE? Did he spike the academy staff's coffee with crystal meth?
    edited March 2013
    Anyway, we're going off topic here guys and I really don't want to start any flame wars on my first post. So again, just remember to give your reasons on why the SHIPS from the movies should or shouldn't be in the game. The debate on the movies quality and their relationship to Star Trek canon is related yes, but is not the focus on this thread.

Signing off on that, I think I'll just observe post from here on in. I'm afraid I'll start arguing myself if I keep posting. I think I'll just go and play STO instead.
    edited March 2013
    For once I agree with you. After watching that movie, I wondered if JJ just came up with a checklist of pop cultural references that non-trek people would recognize and used that as his bible of things to include in the film. Kirk has a reputation for sleeping with green women? Well, now he is an uncontrollable maniac who gropes Uhura and sleeps with an Orion to cheat on the big test! What are some catchphrases the general public knows about Star Trek? "I'm a doctor, not a ....", "I'm giving it all she's got, capt'n" great, throw it in there! What do we know about Sulu? He's a fencer? great, throw that in there! Since he's japanese though, you should make it a katana, and make him a master swordsman
    ! etc etc. I was rolling my eyes in practically every scene by the end.

Callign everyone who doesn't agree with you children....nice.

You know those 'millions of people who liked the 2009 film?' A lot of the people who paid for tickets that made the film didn't like it, including myself. Numbers don't mean a whole lot if lots of people didn't like it.

Well apparently enough people liked it for it to make $385.7 million gross...

Which is a little over six times what it cost to make.

Those kinda numbers DO mean a whole lot.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Speaking of cheating on the Kobayashi Maru test. My god that was jackassery of the highest order.

Since Wrath of Khan we were led to believe Kirk did something so amazing that his instructors actually commended him for it.
    Then in the movie they finally get a chance to show it and... Kirk hacks the simulator and turns on god mode. I'm sorry, what? Who the hell would ever pass Kirk, let alone commend him for blatantly and shamelessly god moding?

That's original thinking? I think pretty much anyone with backdoor access to a program can cheat to make the enemies all die in one shot.
    Funny thing is it seems Nero's antics are the only thing that stopped Kirk getting the book thrown at him, so how did he get a commendation in the prime universe if he pulled that stupid TRIBBLE? Did he spike the academy staff's coffee with crystal meth?

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and with a lolololol to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited March 2013

Bit of a generalisation there. There are many women who loathe Twilight, and as many men who, for reasons known only to themselves, like it.

That's not my 'generalization'...

... that's the key audience the producers said they were aiming for.
    edited March 2013

Tell me...

How else dose one "cheat" in a 'Computer Simulation'????

And apparently Kirk was the first to actually figure out how to get around Spocks' Programming.

He bested a Vulcan, without evening knowing who he was up against.
    edited March 2013

Hahaha, yeah. It's even worse that through the whole scene he's playing it as "I'M CHEATING! LOOK AT ME! I'M CHEATING SO HARD YOU GUYS! NOW WHO'S DTF?"

Originally he reprogrammed it so that it was possible to rescue the stranded vessel. I think he even says that in Wrath of Khan. Which would've been a much better scene. the instructors all "Okay Kirk, I guess we'll let you take it again, but this is the last time!" and then everything goes as it should until suddenly he's rescued the ship and made his escape and the instructors are all "wtf just happened? How'd he do that?" instead of the scene just being "LOL NOOB KLINGONS I AM TEH HAXXORZ"
    edited March 2013
    That's not my 'generalization'...

... that's the key audience the producers said they were aiming for.

Regardless of that, it's far from that simple, and likely motivated by the fact that the entire story is Meyer's personal wet dream self-insertion fantasy, and since movie producers are imbeciles they doubtless concluded all women think like her.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well apparently enough people liked it for it to make $385.7 million gross...

Which is a little over six times what it cost to make.

Those kinda numbers DO mean a whole lot.

You trying to tell me it cost around only 64 million dollars to make? ROFL

Try more than double that...its budget was closer to 150 million
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013

An entirely different Kirk with an entirely different upbringing. The Prime Universe Kirk hand living parents and grew up in an entirely different environment then the JJ Universe Kirk - the JJ Kirk is a cocky loner who has no direction in life.

It's sort of like saying why Picard and Shinzon aren't the exact same when one is a clone of the other. Environment and upbringing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2013
    Tell me...

How else dose one "cheat" in a 'Computer Simulation'????

Are you serious?
    Doing anything the developer doesn't intend can be considered cheating.

All Kirk ever said of it was that he "changed the paramaters of the test".
    In ST2009 he's godmoding and being obvious about it, right down to the simulator suffering an obvious glitch.

Just as a random example, I've never played it but there's an old Starfleet Academy game which includes the Kobayashi Maru scenario.
    As I recall, it's possible to cheat victory on it by going to a specific set of coordinates and then hailing the ship, enablng you to rescue the crew and escape.
    Thing is, you'd have to know ahead of time exactly where those coordinates were, so it's implied Kirk could've done it like that and thus cheating, but not in the obvious cocky and stupid manner he did in the movie.
    edited March 2013
    Regardless of that, it's far from that simple, and likely motivated by the fact that the entire story is Meyer's personal wet dream self-insertion fantasy, and since movie producers are imbeciles they doubtless concluded all women think like her.

ROTFLMAO...

And they don't?

Again, the Dollar amounts involved, tend to prove you wrong on sooo many levels.
    edited March 2013
    ROTFLMAO...

And they don't?

Again, the Dollar amounts involved, tend to prove you wrong on sooo many levels.

Some do. Some don't. Some just think vampires - any vampires - are cool. Some just go to leer over the cute bare chested guys.
    And again, this isn't limited to women. Aside from the bare chested guy thing. Well unless they're into that, nothing wrong with it.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No offense but it sold ... A LOT, movie producers just saw the sale figures and did what they did to every best selling novel, a movie adaptation.

Eragon got a movie adaptation too and I actually read it ... I can understand why but it was not going to end up well.

Not every movie can be "The Hunt for the Red October" (also it helped that it was when Tom Clancy actually wrote Tom Clancy novels and before he gone into the deep end).

Yeah well, the public at large are mostly made up of imbeciles too. That's why complete hacks like Meyer and the derivative bozo who stole every idea he could from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings... I mean, "wrote" Eragon are rolling in money.
    edited March 2013
    Are you serious?
    Doing anything the developer doesn't intend can be considered cheating.

All Kirk ever said of it was that he "changed the paramaters of the test".
    In ST2009 he's godmoding and being obvious about it, right down to the simulator suffering an obvious glitch.

Just as a random example, I've never played it but there's an old Starfleet Academy game which includes the Kobayashi Maru scenario.
    As I recall, it's possible to cheat victory on it by going to a specific set of coordinates and then hailing the ship, enablng you to rescue the crew and escape.
    Thing is, you'd have to know ahead of time exactly where those coordinates were, so it's implied Kirk could've done it like that and thus cheating, but not in the obvious cocky and stupid manner he did in the movie.

Kirk IS Cocky & Stupid in both universes...

Just look at how he died in the original...

Charging gung-ho into an unknown bad situation, with no back up and no weapon.

That's neither Rational nor Smart.

Trying to rationalize how you think Kirk would have "cheated" is kinda silly since you weren't offered the job of writing the story.

It fits the situation perfectly...,

He snuck in before hand... changed the parameters in the simulation and then, Knowing that the folks running the simulation would be onto it in seconds..,
    Sat there laffin' his TRIBBLE off at how easy it was for him to do it.

One needs to assume that Spock would probably have created the program in such a way that it could not be tampered with...

THAT is where the Original Thinking comes in... Kirk out smarted a Vulcan computer program...

Something, apparently no other student had been able to do.
    (assuming that other's even tried)
    edited March 2013
    Kirk IS Cocky & Stupid in both universes...

Just look at how he died in the original...

Charging gung-ho into an unknown bad situation, with no back up and no weapon.

That's neither Rational or Smart.

Trying to rationalize how you think Kirk would have "cheated" is kinda silly since you weren't offered the job of writing the story.

It fits the situation perfectly...,

He snuck in before hand... changed the parameters in the simulation and then, Knowing that the folks running the simulation would be onto it in seconds..,
    Sat there laffin' his TRIBBLE off at how easy it was for him to do it.

One needs to assume that Spock would probably have created the program in such a way that it could not be tampered with...

THAT is where the Original Thinking comes in... Kirk out smarted a Vulcan computer program...

Something, apparently no other student had been able to do.
    (assuming that other's even tried)

Don't be silly. Anyone with the right access to a program can do something simple like turn god mode on.
    Hell, games have this as standard for debugging purposes. Plus we know it wasn't actually Kirk who reprogrammed anything - he got Gaira to do it. So he's not only a cheater, he's lazy too.

No, sorry. It's just stupid. He was obvious and stupid about it. TOS Kirk was cocky, but it was balanced by him having actual skill to match his bravado. JJ Kirk has none of this, he's all bark and no bite, and any time he actually tries to do something he gets his TRIBBLE handed to him because he's a complete butt-head.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Staying off topic, I liked JJ Trek for what it was, action packed Trek (Better than nothing since we'll never see the TNG crew again, or DS9 or Voyager on the big screen). When I was in the theater, I just let myself enjoy it, instead of picking it apart. As I'll do for JJ Trek 2. I know I'll be pumped to come play STO when I finish watching it this summer. It was only after I got home and watched fellow Trekkers pick it to pieces that I saw all its flaws. In my eyes, it IS an alternate universe, not rewriting the prime one, so that helps.

If anything, we should all feel sorry for Prime Spock who is stuck in the JJ universe :(
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Cryptics game engine can not handle all the lense flare that is required.

Not only is this funny, but you're technically correct. You'd have to disable bloom under video options, otherwise it would cause a massive drop in framerate and could potentially fry your GPU.

...Unless you're rockin' one of those expensive high-end performance gaming rigs. :P
    edited March 2013
    Who's rationalizing? We know how Kirk reprogrammed the computer.

Reposting because apparently nobody saw it:

Originally he reprogrammed it so that it was possible to rescue the stranded vessel. I think he even says that in Wrath of Khan. Which would've been a much better scene. the instructors all "Okay Kirk, I guess we'll let you take it again, but this is the last time!" and then everything goes as it supposed to until suddenly he's rescued the ship and made his escape and the instructors are all "wtf just happened? How'd he do that?" instead of the scene just being "LOL NOOB KLINGONS I AM TEH HAXXORZ"
    edited March 2013
    If anything, we should all feel sorry for Prime Spock who is stuck in the JJ universe :(

Young Spock: Well, you're stuck here now.

Old Spock: That's bad.

Young Spock: But you'll get to have lots and lots of sex to "repopulate" the Vulcan species!

Old Spock: That's good!

Young Spock: Of course that can only happen once every seven years.

Old Spock: That's bad.

Young Spock: And you'll never see D'Tan again.

Old Spock: ....

Young Spock: That's bad.

Old Spock: .. is it? .. oh yes, certainly. I shall miss his.. blandness.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Who's rationalizing? We know how Kirk reprogrammed the computer.

Reposting because apparently nobody saw it:

Originally he reprogrammed it so that it was possible to rescue the stranded vessel. I think he even says that in Wrath of Khan. Which would've been a much better scene. the instructors all "Okay Kirk, I guess we'll let you take it again, but this is the last time!" and then everything goes as it supposed to until suddenly he's rescued the ship and made his escape and the instructors are all "wtf just happened? How'd he do that?" instead of the scene just being "LOL NOOB KLINGONS I AM TEH HAXXORZ"
    Agreed. everything in the scene only seems designed to emphasize how little praise he deserves for beatign the test-the apple, the slouching posture sittign in the captain's chair, the nonchalant, arrogant way he commands his crew, the way Uhura acts exasperated with him. This could not have been by mistake, he practically oozes 'slimeball' in that scene-that begs the question, "is this what JJ sees in Kirk when he watches Star Trek? a Slimeball?"
    edited March 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    You trying to tell me it cost around only 64 million dollars to make? ROFL

Try more than double that...its budget was closer to 150 million

It was rumored to have been given a $62 million starting budget...

When all was said and done, it was estimated that total costs including advertising, put it in the $140 million range.

It's been said that JJ managed to finish the production of the actual movie, either just within or slightly over budget.

There are no hard numbers available on the netz, but Paramount was giving JJ the ok to make the second movie within a few days of it opening...

I doubt that would have been so if he had actually spent in the neighborhood of $140 million during production.
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Just like Bruckheimer with the Transformers, doesn't give a damn about the story and is out to make a buck.

As much as I hate pretty much everything Bruckheimer has ever done (with or without Bay), Transformers was never meant to be more than a quick cashgrab, anyway. The Transformer toys I own from the eighties are a testament to that. Although the movie ending up in the hands of Bruckheimer and Bay (the other bumblebees) took away any desire I had to see it, I felt it was very fitting.
    edited March 2013
    Agreed. everything in the scene only seems designed to emphasize how little praise he deserves for beatign the test-the apple, the slouching posture sittign in the captain's chair, the nonchalant, arrogant way he commands his crew, the way Uhura acts exasperated with him. This could not have been by mistake, he practically oozes 'slimeball' in that scene-that begs the question, "is this what JJ sees in Kirk when he watches Star Trek? a Slimeball?"

I think he was trying to go for a Han Solo sort of lovable arrogance, but because JJ is a hack, he failed miserably and made Kirk look like a complete tool.
    Hell the whole hacking thing might've still worked for me if Kirk at least tried to act a bit surprised and professional when the system glitched.