• meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Racism
    The oriental (who incidentally was Japanese not chinese) can't drive
    The Russian can't make himself understood
    The African sleeps her way to the top
    The Panda has a rage attack

The oriental: Who incidentally is played by a South Korean actor, not Chinese
    The Russian: Have you got any Nuclear Wessels? No? Thought so...
    The African: Didn't realize she became 1st Officer / Captain in the movie...
    The Panda: Who?!?!??

I don't think you know what racism is.

EDIT: FYI, just because Spock and Uhura are "romantically involved" in the 2009 movie, doesn't necessarily mean they are sleeping with each other. Some people *gasp* wait until marriage to do so. Just a thought.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013

ACTOR is American
    character is JAPANESE

The Russian: Have you got any Nuclear Wessels? No? Thought so...

A line suggested by the actor

The African: Didn't realize she became 1st Officer / Captain in the movie..

She hasn't yet
    but she did get onto a ship she was not qualified for
    The Panda: Who?!?!??

Spock

I don't think you know what racism is.

I don't think you know what Japanese is (and its not korean)

EDIT: FYI, just because Spock and Uhura are "romantically involved" in the 2009 movie, doesn't necessarily mean they are sleeping with each other. Some people *gasp* wait until marriage to do so. Just a thought.

Not in JJ verse
    Examine the film
    Kirk boldy goes with anything that moves
    Spock virtually assaults Uhura (by Vulcan standards where touching fingertips is considered romantic)

Besides a marriage between them is impossible
    As a panda Spock must become part of a captive breeding program immediately
    And of course Uhura will be looking for an admiral to "interact" with
    Live long and Prosper
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm not going to get into the racism debate, however I will point out that "Nuclear wessels." was a cute gag concerning a single mispronunciation whereas the idea that Pike would have someone make a shipwide announcement with important info given by someone speaking in barely comprehensible english is the type of thing that should never go beyond a script reading, let alone filming it.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, it is. The writing is bad, the direction is bad, the production design is bad, the cinematography is bad, the acting is bad. There is nothing good about that movie.

That they butchered the TOS characters into caricatures to make them EXXXTREME is secondary to how horrible that movie is.

To be honest it just seems you want to bad mouth the movie because it isnt what you want.

Fact: the CGI in the movie is by far better than 90% of the TRIBBLE we see on the the big screen for the past 10 years.

Fact: the characters are different because the timeline is different and the way the characters develop and are, is because of the timeline alterations, kirk was raised differently, Spock was different because he's much younger here, infact most of the characters are developing differently due to the fact they are been shown and coming together at a far younger age than the tv series.

the acting isnt bad, its just not as good as it could of been.
    the writing was also not bad it was just executed poorly.

honeslty if you cant except any of that then you really are just bad mouthing it because its not what you wanted to see, at least bad mouth something with valid reasoning instead of poorly thought out childish arguements.
    edited March 2013

ACTOR is American
    character is JAPANESE

Actor is South Korean. Period. Check your facts, sollvax.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158626/

I know "Hikaru Sulu" is supposed to be Japanese. And the original actor (George Takei) was Japanese-American (born in the United States). John Cho is clearly South Korean. I don't think you know the difference between Chinese and Korean. Since you lumped all of them as "the oriental". Who's being racist?
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    Kirk isn't raised at all
    and Spock is now effectively a time loop
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    Actor is South Korean. Period. Check your facts, sollvax.

American (there is no such thing as south/north Korean technically, the war never ended thus there is only Korean )
    He lives and pays taxes in the USA he is American

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158626/
    I know "Hikaru Sulu" is supposed to be Japanese. And the original actor (George Takei) was Japanese-American (born in the United States). John Cho is clearly South Korean. I don't think you know the difference between Chinese and Korean. Since you lumped all of them as "the oriental". Who's being racist?

There isn't a major difference between chinese and Korean (genetically pretty much interchangable like romulan and vulcan) the main difference is China is unified and Korea is at war

But he is "the token oriental" as uhura is "the token African" and Scotty the token "loony"

Sulu is Japanese
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    Fact: the CGI in the movie is by far better than 90% of the TRIBBLE we see on the the big screen for the past 10 years.

The quality is good, but the use of it is lousy. Too much shaky cam, lens flare and poorly designed ships. No attempts to properly scale anything.
    Don't even get me started on the Delta Vega creatures. Why every movie must now look like a videogame is beyond me.
    Fact: the characters are different because the timeline is different and the way the characters develop and are, is because of the timeline alterations, kirk was raised differently, Spock was different because he's much younger here, infact most of the characters are developing differently due to the fact they are been shown and coming together at a far younger age than the tv series.

And so different must mean "TRIBBLE" in every circumstance?
    Is this a divergent timeline or the mirror universe? Why not just give Spock a goatee, stick a sword through a picture of the earth and be done with it.
    the acting isnt bad, its just not as good as it could of been.

Pine is absolutely useless as Kirk. Quinto as Spock is stiff and uninteresting.
    This is pretty much the same for all characters. Even Simon Pegg who I normally like completely phones it in as Scotty, it's painful to watch.
    Only Karl Urban makes anything of his role, and I very much suspect that's all him, because the writing he's given is abysmal.
    the writing was also not bad it was just executed poorly.

What part of the writing was good? Do explain.
    honeslty if you cant except any of that then you really are just bad mouthing it because its not what you wanted to see, at least bad mouth something with valid reasoning instead of poorly thought out childish arguements.

Translation: "If you do not concede to my ill thought out argument and weak justifications I hereby pre-emptively label you a troll in order to reduce any effort to actually argue my position."
    edited March 2013
    American (there is no such thing as south/north Korean technically, the war never ended thus there is only Korean )
    He lives and pays taxes in the USA he is American

There isn't a major difference between chinese and Korean (genetically pretty much interchangable like romulan and vulcan) the main difference is China is unified and Korea is at war

But he is "the token oriental" as uhura is "the token African" and Scotty the token "loony"

Sulu is Japanese

So your complaint is that there existed racism in the Original Series from 1966, since they had a token black woman, a token oriental, a token Russian, a token scotsmen (loony as you prefer to call him) etc. Do you practice trolling alot, sollvax? You're getting rather good at it...

A person is the nationality, of whatever country he/she is born into, or based on parents origin. I'm born in Sweden, with an American father and Norwegian mother. I consider myself a Swedish-American (technically American-Norwegian, but born and raised in Sweden). By your logic, i'm Swedish. By my own consideration (which is the only one that matters to ME), i'm Swedish-American.

John Cho is South Korean (Yes, there are 2 distinct countries, war or no war. I suppose you deny the existence of the holocaust as well?). He was born in South Korea, but moved to America at a young age. So I guess that makes him a Korean-American, just as George Takei is a Japanese-American.

Fact is, none of "you people" in the United States are just "American". You're all immigrants originally. You are born from Irish, Swedish, Italian, Mexican, English and Spanish immigrants, and probable a dozen or so other nations. The only natives to the United States, are the ones you haven't slaughtered yet (the native americans, aka Indians)
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Err ... are you serious?

The racical type is actually mongoild, the whole Korean/Chinese/Japanse is actually racist motivated as no way a Japanese could EVER be the same as a Chinese or a Korean ... same with Koreans ... maybe not the Chinese but Communism does that.

Apparently you have no idea what racism is, the Japanese for example are still rather xenophobe due to their long isolation and later due to the nationalist ideology until WW II that still lingers.

Being racist is not a "white man" privilege ... far from it.

Another personal attack against me. That makes THREE people in this thread that have attacked me so far. And no, I am not a racist. Racism is not "the token black guy" or "token oriental guy". Racism, is the mis-treatment of a race, by another race (i.e whites attacking blacks for example).

Keeping a tally here;

I've been called... un-intelligent, mindless, dumb, racist. How many more insults from the so-called "True Trek fans", who fail to learn the IDIC, and tolerance of Trek society? I think there's alot of IN-tolerance in this thread, primarily because of the subject matter (the 2009 movie).
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    You have a bit of a victim complex there, I see..
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    You have a bit of a victim complex there, I see..

And why shouldn't I? I've been repeatedly attacked (by you, among others). Only reason i'm still in this thread, is my vain attempt at defending myself from racist, arrogant, self-absorbed pricks, such as yourself.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's no sense in trying to have this kind of a discussion with folks who are either so hell bent on retconning Star Trek to match their own distorted way of thinking, and/or apparently don't realize how absolutely, arrogantly rude, they are being...

Neither will ever acquiesce...

It just becomes a one-sided litany of their own foolishness.

(kinda like people that just love to hear themselves talk)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    And why shouldn't I? I've been repeatedly attacked (by you, among others). Only reason i'm still in this thread, is my vain attempt at defending myself from racist, arrogant, self-absorbed pricks, such as yourself.

Speaking of personal insults..
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This thread is definitely going places. Where do I turn on the Syber-signal?
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited March 2013
    So your complaint is that there existed racism in the Original Series from 1966, since they had a token black woman, a token oriental, a token Russian, a token scotsmen (loony as you prefer to call him) etc. Do you practice trolling alot, sollvax? You're getting rather good at it...

Scotty in the original was probably the smartest man on the ship
    the one in the film is a D minus mind who can't even avoid beaming into the laundry

A person is the nationality, of whatever country he/she is born into, or based on parents origin.

factually incorrect
    your nationality is based on your Passport and country of residence
    I'm born in Sweden, with an American father and Norwegian mother. I consider myself a Swedish-American (technically American-Norwegian, but born and raised in Sweden). By your logic, i'm Swedish. By my own consideration (which is the only one that matters to ME), i'm Swedish-American.
    check your passport it will be on the front page (near your Gender)

John Cho is South Korean (Yes, there are 2 distinct countries, war or no war. I suppose you deny the existence of the holocaust as well?).

Which one?
    "Holocaust" is a Greek word meaning literally "destroy by fire"

There was Korea
    Then there was a War
    now there is Korea divided into American and Communist zones but its still all Korea
    He was born in South Korea, but moved to America at a young age. So I guess that makes him a Korean-American, just as George Takei is a Japanese-American.

His passport has American on it
    Fact is, none of "you people" in the United States are just "American". You're all immigrants originally

Factually incorrect
    many Americans are indigenous stock.
    But ALL of them are American.
    . You are born from Irish, Swedish, Italian, Mexican, English and Spanish immigrants, and probable a dozen or so other nations. The only natives to the United States, are the ones you haven't slaughtered yet (the native americans, aka Indians)

you mistake me for an American
    Im not
    Infact I come from a tiny little island not far from israel who are currently having some minor cash flow problems

Oh and to add to your list of insults

You called ME A troll which means you are a "big Dog"
    Live long and Prosper
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am sorry but we are not in 1946.

There is the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" and the "Republic of Korea", both are members of the United Nations since 1991.

Also dont make me bring up the Korean War ... please dont, it was United Nations thing and not a US thing ... no idea what they teach you kids in school these days ...

It's our American education system.

Heck, I didn't find out until I almost graduated High School (doing some research on my own) that during the Vietnam War there were a total of 7 "Free World" Countries that contributed combat troops to Vietnam (and a few that had non-combat medical support).

Even recently, I found out that some countries send soldiers to South Korea to serve on the "United Nations Command" staff (United Nations Forces Korea was technically never disbanded). Commander of US Force Korea also serves as Commander United Nations Command.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
    edited March 2013
    I am sorry but we are not in 1946.

There is the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" and the "Republic of Korea", both are members of the United Nations since 1991.

Also dont make me bring up the Korean War ... please dont, it was United Nations thing and not a US thing ... no idea what they teach you kids in school these days ...

Actually the war never ended (what do they teach them in these schools)
    theres an armistice line NOT a legal border

as to the UN who cares?
    they are now and have always been a JOKE
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    as to the UN who cares?
    they are now and have always been a JOKE

178,224 soldiers from 26 countries that answerd the call from the UN died in that war. Hardly a joke.

The flag of South Korea and the United Nations was raised over a liberated Seol. Hardly a joke.

And the "Armistace Line" is internationally recognized as the border between the two Koreas.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes the Korean War was technically a U.N. action but let's face it, it was primarily a U.S. war. The U.S. would've been involved even without U.N. sanction.
    edited March 2013
    Yes the Korean War was technically a U.N. action but let's face it, it was primarily a U.S. war. The U.S. would've been involved even without U.N. sanction.

That is irrelevant. It was still an international action under the flag of the United Nations. We Americans really need to stop trivializing the contributions of other countries. They too have men and women that fight and die for freedom.
    edited March 2013
    178,224 soldiers from 26 countries that answerd the call from the UN died in that war. Hardly a joke.

The flag of South Korea and the United Nations was raised over a liberated Seol. Hardly a joke.

And the "Armistace Line" is internationally recognized as the border between the two Koreas.

Died in a meaningless war that achieved nothing

the border is NOT recognised by either Korea since this year

South Korea is basically a Military base and North Korea is basically an armed camp

I did not say it was a GOOD joke but it is a JOKE
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    That is irrelevant. It was still an international action under the flag of the United Nations. We Americans really need to stop trivializing the contributions of other countries. They too have men and women that fight and die for freedom.

Not irrelevant. Who sacked MacArthur? Would the U.N. even have gotten involved if it weren't for the United States?
    edited March 2013

South Korea is basically a Military base and North Korea is basically an armed camp

Actually, it kept South Korea from remaining a part of North Korea....

Hardly meaningless to folks who live south of that line.

You're treading on being not only heartless, but quite insulting.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited March 2013

Actually, the border is part of the Armistace agreement that North Korea signed so technically they do recognized it.
    Not irrelevant. Who sacked MacArthur? Would the U.N. even have gotten involved if it weren't for the United States?

It is irrelevant to the global effort who fired MacArthur.

Technically, the US intervention came after the UN Security Council asked member states to provide military forces.

Again, it doesn't matter who had the majority of forces. Other countries contributed what they could considering that most countries' populations just got done fighting a war. MAny leaders defied popular opinion to send troops to fight.
    edited March 2013
    ... and we've dived head-first into the type of conversation that will surely get this thread closed ...

Soooo...

I would love to see any designs like the Kelvin added to this game at some point.

:)
    edited March 2013
    North korea officially stopped recognising the line this year

but then he is right its not exactly on topic.
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    North korea officially stopped recognising the line this year .

They also continually threaten the US with destruction and we see how seriously the world takes that (even their "ally" China lols at that).

As long as they don't outright tear up the Armistace agreement, they still technically recognize the current border.

This happens every year when the US and South Korea hold war games, so this isn't the first time North Korea has stop recognizing the border and promised "imminent destruction" to the South. Things will go back to status quo in about a month.
    edited March 2013
    Actually, the border is part of the Armistace agreement that North Korea signed so technically they do recognized it.

As an armistice line, not a border. There is a difference. North Korea has not abrogated its claim to the entire peninsula.

It is irrelevant to the global effort who fired MacArthur.

No, it is relevant. President Truman removed MacArthur. Not the U.N.
    Technically, the US intervention came after the UN Security Council asked member states to provide military forces.

And which member states on the Security Council pushed for intervention?

Look, nobody is trivializing the contributions of other nations to the U.N. forces, but 88% of the troops were American, and U.N. intervention itself was motivated by the U.S. policy of containment.

It was primarily an American war.
    edited March 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    ... and we've dived head-first into the type of conversation that will surely get this thread closed ...

Soooo...

I would love to see any designs like the Kelvin added to this game at some point.

:)

A gentle reminder... ;)
    edited March 2013
    As an armistice line, not a border. There is a difference. North Korea has not abrogated its claim to the entire peninsula..

That doesn't make it any less a border that North Korea agreed to recognize when it signed the Armistace.

No, it is relevant. President Truman removed MacArthur. Not the U.N..

Ultimately it is irrelevant. Truman firing MacArthur has nothing to with the war effort as a whole. His replacement was still commander of United Nations Forces.

And which member states on the Security Council pushed for intervention?.

No one pushed for intervention. It was a unanimous decision. No one forced these same countries that had just got done fighting a devestating world war to contribute, yet they did.
    Look, nobody is trivializing the contributions of other nations to the U.N. forces, but 88% of the troops were American, and U.N. intervention itself was motivated by the U.S. policy of containment.

It was primarily an American war.

Again, none of that mattered. Countries voluntarily sent there troops to fight. You asy your not, but you are marginalizing the contributions of allies.