test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• tosfantosfan Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It WAS obvious, because as I said - they made NO secret of the fact that the new content was due in May, so the countdown was never going to be anything more than a reveal. Granted, we didn't know what the reveal itself was, but it got people talking and speculating and that's EXACTLY what it was supposed to do.

And I'm not trying to sound like an *** either, but you don't need to look any further than the 2009 Trek movie and the upcoming Trek movie (into Darkness) for an example of what I mean. In the latter's case, what have we had so far?
    A teaser.
    An early trailer.
    Another (longer) trailer (today)
    And I daresay that there'll be another one before May, THEN we get the movie itself. And it's repeating exactly what they did for the 2009 Trek movie. How is what Cryptic is doing any different to that?

I couldn't find anything or anybody saying that it was a reveal, and the whole May 2013 seemed a bit shaky, because sometimes it was on the site, and sometimes it wasn't. And especially with them taking down the shard almost directly after the countdown made me doubtful that the new website was just a reveal. So basically, I didn't know anything about it just being a reveal.

And about the trailer thing, I think it could have been done better.

The Countdown (teaser) Could have said it was for a reveal (trailer), and then have the actual update (movie) date been revealed in the reveal. Sticking the May 2013 thing in right next to the countdown was confusing.

But, at least the fog has been lifted now, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HIPPIES. HIPPIES EVERYWHERE.
  • clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Not impressed really..

Of course; how COULD you be?! I mean, THEY HAVEN'T RELEASED IT YET! So, how do you really know? Have you play tested any party of it? Did you notice that, for example, Klingons will now be able to begin at level one - something we've been asking for since Beta - and Romulans are beginning this way?

Will there be bugs? Will these bugs be caught by the players/fan base and reported on Tribble, only to be ignored? Will there be MANY a time they put the "cart before the horse?" Will they introduce things that are cool, only to nerf them without warning two weeks later? Of course; this is Cryptic/PWE we are talking about! But, the vast majority of us keep rolling along, even if we're grumbling most of the way...:rolleyes:

However, one thing that cannot be said in this instance, as much beef as I have with them most days, is that they LISTENED to US on this one!

So, before you yawn and try and draw attention to yourself by putting down something you have absolutely no educated background on, why don't you wait and give it a chance?
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...ANOTHER rep system...
    :rolleyes:
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Awesome job, Cryptic! I wish i could *****-slap all the negative nay sayers who were talking ca-ca that it wouldnt happen! Would love to laugh in their crying faces right now! LMFAO!

I was one of the ones that said there would not be a Romulan faction in May and I am glad to be wrong, I am so happy to see this and can't wait.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just curious but has anyone else stopped to realize that after 3 years this expansion will officially make the game as it was supposed to be at the original launch?

Cryptic had some pretty serious setbacks that have completely destroyed other games/development studios before their games have ever seen the light of day. Granted there have been many potholes along the way, but still they've managed to do it. As outspoken as I've been in the past about issues, I really do think we all need to step back as players and really realize what an accomplishment this is/will be.

Between the changes in the UI, the addition of the Romulan faction, rebooting the KDF as a 1-50 and whatever other changes haven't even been announced yet, the past three years have really been one long beta test of sorts. In many ways it looks like it'll be a whole new game of sorts, and hopefully along with this, in the future we'll see more improvements being made with the navigation system, exchange, foundry, ship interiors, and hopefully the crafting system.

I understand people are skeptical, and for the most part there is very good reason to be, but dare I say there may be hope for a better future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nebronebro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    FINALLY!!!! I have been waiting for this since beta!!! Always wanted to be a Romulan with a Warbird...now my dream is coming true!! I can't wait!
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys ROCK!!!

BLESS YOU DEVS!!! now you can have some of my hard earned cash :D
    DUwNP.gif

• tosfantosfan Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nebro wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!! I have been waiting for this since beta!!! Always wanted to be a Romulan with a Warbird...now my dream is coming true!! I can't wait!

I know! Have you seen the new Romulan war birds on the website?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HIPPIES. HIPPIES EVERYWHERE.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only just got here, but even from here there's a lot of 'Wow' in this thread :D Of course, some are still gonna be cynical...

Oh well. Looks pretty damn sweet, especially since this expansion thing is free (but I expect many of the same services we have in-game will remain the same) ;)

But really, KDF AND the Romulans start from level 1 to 50? No matter what the type of content, that's a big step in the right direction, and no cynicism will change that fact :cool:
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • chooch99achooch99a Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    2) The Debrune: Just as the Romulans split from the Vulcans, the Debrune split form the Romulans and have since vanished. What happened to them and their empire? In Star Trek Nemesis, the spear that Nero carries is a Debrune artifact

Um..no. Nemesis wrong film, but Nero's staff was the staff of the Praetor, whom he killed and claimed the scepter from in "Countdown" prequel comics.
  • sternenforschersternenforscher Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    Is this gonna be free to play?

Yes of course!
    With greetings,
    Fleet Admiral Vice Admiral Paul Alter, Terran Star Empire, and Telo, of Martoks Stammg
  • partizan81partizan81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Any word yet on new STFs? While character grinding is fun and all, some new endgame content would be nice. Specifically content that gives better than 18 Rom marks per match.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I have to wonder if anything for the new Romulan faction will be given to Gold Members/Life timers as incentive to subscribe.. :cool:
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nebronebro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tosfan wrote: »
    I know! Have you seen the new Romulan war birds on the website?

Not yet...have a lifetime sub but haven't logged in in almost a year. Got so tired of playing something I really wasn't interested in (Fed/Klingon) even though I told myself that I was and tried to be by making a "Romulan" federation captain lol.

Anyway I'll take a look around the site and refresh on everything that's happened since I was last here...
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rezking wrote: »
    ...ANOTHER rep system...
    :rolleyes:

And that's cool. I like new reps, it means new STFs. Oh, well, devs, we'll get a tholian one, right? :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All I know is I want one of these
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm wondering if this hype of Legacy of Romulus is just another half winged faction or full romulan faction/level 1 kdf put back with no additional content, or a full romulan and full kdf faction.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, with the introduction of a Third faction, what will this mean for all those Dual Faction Lockbox Console options?

IE: Vent Theta Radiation/Anti-matter Spread/?
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But then... when will I farm my dilithium?

Alright then, let me welcome our new greenheaded stepchild to the game. Rihann, this is tlhIngan, tlhIngan, this is Rihann. You'll be vying for our lack of attention now. ;)

Overall, looks okay. Seems from s2 Sela's managed to not be turned into some mockery of life as we know it by her Iconian overlords, though I'm sure the Klingons'll be filing a patent violation lawsuit to whatever pointy-eared backstab-monkey designed the dorsal section of the ship in s4 (They engrave the subpoena on a batleth, and guess how it's delivered.) and clearly there's a clue as to the Romulan storyline in s6, in the drone design for the Romulans, showing they have become a far kinder, gentler species now, bent on setting out into the universe to give people hugs wherever they find them, only to find them recoiling in terror and disgust at the instruments of their love, driving the Romulans back into a policy of isolation, so to better be bitter about it and plot their revenge shooting.

Not sure about the new character creation UI specifically, but the overall changes to the UI I like.

I rate this cantilope out of a possible score of screwdriver.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am full of excite.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I so hope that everything you've said in this amazingly great news will come true.

Preferable without any glitches.

When will play testing begin on Tribble so we can get those bugs out before launch?
  • flatmattflatmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    *Days* after I give up on a full 1-50 KDF and create another KDF character... Now I have to decide if I should delete her and wait for this...

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
    Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mm. Regarding this, I did wonder how my lifetime sub perks would've be affected in regard to starting a new Romulan character.

Y'know, stuff like...
    Veteran uniforms, veteran ship skin, the Veteran 1000-day ship itself, the liberated borg race...

Also some other stuff I picked up like the Photonic Boff
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it May,21(2013) yet . <_<
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    and clearly there's a clue as to the Romulan storyline in s6, in the drone design for the Romulans, showing they have become a far kinder, gentler species now, bent on setting out into the universe to give people hugs wherever they find them, only to find them recoiling in terror and disgust at the instruments of their love, driving the Romulans back into a policy of isolation, so to better be bitter about it and plot their revenge shooting.

Not sure about the new character creation UI specifically, but the overall changes to the UI I like.

I rate this cantilope out of a possible score of screwdriver.

I think that s6 is a screen of the new enemy that will attempt to Terrorize our poor Romulans. s5 seem to be their ships (which look awesome btw. Is that Jamjamz work, or another ship designer). That being said, I just hope they burn as well as they look.
  • rog3333rog3333 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    do you have to pay for the romulan or is it free i thout it this thing was today :confused:
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With this "Free Torpedo Launcher" being non-existant, maybe this whole new faction will be non-existant also.

Go to the link in the first post, click on the "Prepare Yourself Now" button, and it will tell you that you get a free torpedo launcher when you login. Well... There's no free torpedo launcher that I can find upon logging in and I'm not the only one who can't find this free item.
  • albertwesker45albertwesker45 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    my hunch that this expansion pack is going to be a huge Update either way this going to be an amazing race to Rival the Klingon Empire
  • emraejemraej Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cehus wrote: »
    not impressed by the fact that you are going to level 1-50 starting with any faction?

Could we be playable Hirogen? Obviously Romulan and Reman.
  • aziraphaleeliteaziraphaleelite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now dont get me wrong, I think you guys do great work and am a big big supporter of STO. I must admit to feeling deflated regarding this (stayed up to midnight). I've been kept in suspense for weeks only to find I still have to wait to May 21 to play. All tease and no play.... I just really hope (like it's been regularly mentioned) that we can see it on Tribble.