Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• Options
    unclefester166unclefester166 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, well, well.

Finally, the third essential faction to the Star Trek universe emerges as playable within STO. It could be epic. We shall see.
    And if the Romulans can't bring *Star Dagger* back to the game, nothing ever will...
  • Options
    natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pretty excited to play as Romulans. I'll be looking forward to starting at level one and work my way up the ranks. Thank you cryptic, now hurry up!
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This and nothing but this ... a few devs need to start now explain why it took 3 years why klingons took so long and why a new faction starts at 1 ...

Not at ALL impressed.

This. Because it sure goes directly against what we've been told for 3 years now
    KDF Start at 1 with content taking them through 50.

They actually completed the KDF as well as creating a new faction.

and? whats your point? It doesn't say anything about adding KDF content at all. in case you have forgotten the KDF went from 1 to 50 for quite a while with next to no content.
    Awesome job, Cryptic! I wish i could *****-slap all the negative nay sayers who were talking ca-ca that it wouldnt happen! Would love to laugh in their crying faces right now! LMFAO!

Enjoy your half dozen romulan missions for a few years and the permanent lack of development on 3 instead of two factions now.
    Still can't help but be cynical about Cryptic's track record with the KDF. It's cool to hear that it's going to be 1-50 finally, and I'll admit to a bit of excitement there, but my stance remains: I'll believe it when I see it, and not a picosecond before.

at the risk of repeating myself, nowhere did it say 'complete faction' it said 1 to 50. We had that before, with 8 missions. The only difference is they're adding a tutorial. thats hardly an improvement

that fact is, if they have these magical resources to create a third faction, then they have the resources to finish the KDF. so why exactly aren't they?

on an ironic note, may 21st is my birthday. go figure.
    Haters gonna hate...didn't realise you worked for the dev team and could work all of that out from what they've posted so far.

Don't suppose you can tell me the lottery numbers as well while your at it!

calling someone a 'hater' and not refuting anything they said only makes you look bad. dstahl explicitly stated already that the KDF were only getting a tutorial and nothing more
    I can't understand how the KDF playerbase seems divided on this. Why are they not happy to get new content?

again, what content are you referring to exactly?
    But we all get 3 factions, so we should be happy

only if they actually pull off something worth being happy about. if not, there is nothing to be happy about
    Plus there was a poll. There the romulans got more interest then the KDF.... so there is the future playerbase.

first that statement makes no sense at all and second, the romulans didn't get more interest than the KDF for a faction, the KDF was already a faction when that poll was created
    I really hope PWE addresses in-game bugs, too. But the priority isn't bugs.

what? are you serious? developers who are not concerned with fixing bugs are very poor developers. that kind of thing gets out of hand real quick and you soon find yourself with a very unstable piece of software.
    we already have general, even if it has lieutenant stuck in front of it

actually lieutenant general is step down from general. most countries don't have anything beyond full general, with the exception of germany and russia who have a colonel general rank.
    For everyone hackling people who voice a cautious note over this release, i'll remind you about what other longer time vets have stated over and over again ..about the promises of a Klingon faction being FULLY fleshed out before any other playable race is introduced. Of the many many long existing bugs to powers on both factions being outright broken or bugged in some way.

this.
    They already have said that a cardassian faction is coming out in season 9 or 10

no they didn't
    I guess some of the KDF people missed that they're getting a minimum of 20 new levels of content.

according to who? thats not what dstahl said before. need I remind you that the KDF started at pretty much 1 - 50 and had about 8 missions?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Originally Posted by hatepwe
    Maybe you guys can't read:

KDF Start at 1 with content taking them through 50.

They actually completed the KDF as well as creating a new faction.

Oh dear god you can't really be that naive can you?

'completed the KDF' ? No. They just lowered the starting level 1, put some half TRIBBLE effort made tutorial and changed nothing of its end game content, 2-year long critical gameplay bugs plaguing KDF ships were not addressed and added no new KDF unique ships.
    Originally Posted by genhauk
    Starting a KDF character at level 1 and from the start is not something that should be ignored.

That's a lot for the KDF faction.

Not really. Rank 1 to 50 is done in fed toons inside a day or two. End game content is where the real beef is at. News for you: No end game change or fixes for KDF.

This expansion only shoves KDF from being #2 in the list of priorities to #3. And we know how abandoned KDF was in the past 2+ years ...now it will be completely ignored as all resources will be focused on monetizing the romulan faction.

Dont get me wrong, I like the addition of romulan faction and look forward to flying their ships. I do not like however the fact that they added it before they gave the KDF some long deserved attention. Now it will never happen.

My question to you: Why assume that they are not completing the KDF in this update? they have been upping the Dev Team size, have gone to a 6 day work week, etc. Way back for Season 2 they added 8 great KDF mission (which at the time were considered the best missions in the game) -- and that was with a much smaller team, done at teh same time they were adding ship interiors, etc.

Now we see the reason DStahl was saying the May Update is bigger in scope than any STO Season update, and why he's not just calling it Season 8. Now, I'm not saying not to be at all skeptical; but given everything shown in the reveal, I think it's unfair to just think they only reset the KDF start point to Level 1, added a tutorial, and left it at that (If this turns out to be the case, I'll agree with you regarding Cryptic's final treatment of the KDF) -- but given the scope of the announcement; and the fact that it appears they are trying to market and expand STO with what appears to be some forethought; I'll at least reserve judgement until I hear more, and start seeing first hand on Tribble, whether they did justice to the KDF or not (and even oin the teaser video there was a section of new stuff that WAS KDF related, as I don't think Romulans keep targs.

The vocal KDF group has been screaming for Cryptic to finish the KDF. When they release info that hints that this is finally the case; I guess it's somewhat understandable for KDF players to be skeptical; but I don't think it's a good idea to just assume they haven't done anything and start attacking the announcement out of the gate before hearing (and seeing) more. YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    mantiddmantidd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My only complaint about this is having to wait until sometime in May!

Very impressed with Cryptic/PWE right now. They are completing the Klingon 1-20 storylne, while adding another entire faction that can be played from 1-50. Totally overhauling the UI so people can pick and choose. While also adding in new alien threats, end game and fully expanded areas.

Did they mention this is all for free?

You have to realize as well that the c-store should be able to add in new items as well like custom UIs for the various races, even more ships, officers and hopefully/eventually those alien ships as either pets or something we can use a piece of or maybe even fly one.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    Another change I'd like to see in this udpate is the removal of Rear Admiral Lower & Upper Half and have Commodore & Rear Admiral. I still have no idea why Cryptic went with their current choice.

RDML/RADM fits with the current designations of O-7 and O-8 within the US Navy. Commodore hasn't been used by Starfleet in canon productions since early TNG (timeline-wise).
  • Options
    karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    After a long time with a silver account without good reasons to pay my money again, I am forced to turn gold again... :)

This expansion is something we are waiting for a long, long time. Good and solid content to play and give more fun stuff to get and to do.

The expansion is free, but paying for some zen or turning gold is the better way to show consideration after all hard work.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • Options
    operations2000operations2000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope the UI improvements include some faction filters for the exchange.
    We are now going to have a whole extra bunch of Boffs and Doffs to sort through.
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Disappointing.

While I would have vastly preferred a staged roll out of this content, starting with KDF being finished and allowing it to flourish before launching the third faction, I do appreciate the fact that there will be full levels and starting characters for the Empire at long last, and the UI color control finally breaks down that barrier to entry for many would-be KDF players.

That said, if it were not for the pre-existing IP, Elves... er... I mean Romulans would have been the top faction. This really does seal the fate of the KDF at never rising above its current % of the population.

The Republic with an Empress thing is a bit odd to me, but that's the reference to Roman political structure Romulans are based upon I suppose? I don't know the Romulan history too well, never went in for Elves.
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Holy hell this thread has 400 replies in just over 3 hours nice one

Got to admit my trek geek is going sweet jesus i have longed for this since launch and i like the fact my klingons will now have the chance to finish from level 1-50 aswell

for once and its been a while good job cryptic
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've been sayin' it. I've been sayin' it for ten damn years. Ain't I been sayin' it, Miguel? Yeah, I've been sayin' it.

:D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    myxilpliksmyxilpliks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am kinda lost with the May 21, 2013 become a romulan. When I go into my gaming menu, it only shows feds and klings but no romulans and I have slots to make characters. Is this update suppose to be coming later today or am I missing something on how to use it.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    myxilpliks wrote: »
    I am kinda lost with the May 21, 2013 become a romulan. When I go into my gaming menu, it only shows feds and klings but no romulans and I have slots to make characters. Is this update suppose to be coming later today or am I missing something on how to use it.

The expansion will come on May 21. Today was just the announcement that it was coming.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks Cryptic.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    myxilpliks wrote: »

Legacy of Romulus (Rommie Playable Characters) launches 05/21/13.
    Today's update to Holodeck was just some Fleet Weapon related and Andorian Ship Weapon changes.

While both occurred today, they weren't connected other than occurring today at the same time. The Countdown clock was for the eventual announcement of the LoR Content coming.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    emperorandyemperorandy Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will we receive a free additional character slot so we can not have to delete any old characters in order to make a Romulan?
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    silviod12 wrote: »
    please want to know if this expansion is free and how do I play, I just open my game and saw nothing of the expansion on the home screen

People. This was just the official announcement for the "May Update". Nothing in the game has been added with regards to the Legacy of Romulus.

The Expansion "Legacy of Romulus" does not release until MAY 21, 2013.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Zombie Romulans! Or Zombulans if you prefer! ;) :P

Aw. Someone beat me to the Zombie Romulans. :(

Still, I think it would be interesting to be a Zombulan. imagine the story possibilities.
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jnohd wrote: »
    Disappointing.

While I would have vastly preferred a staged roll out of this content, starting with KDF being finished and allowing it to flourish before launching the third faction, I do appreciate the fact that there will be full levels and starting characters for the Empire at long last, and the UI color control finally breaks down that barrier to entry for many would-be KDF players.

That said, if it were not for the pre-existing IP, Elves... er... I mean Romulans would have been the top faction. This really does seal the fate of the KDF at never rising above its current % of the population.

The Republic with an Empress thing is a bit odd to me, but that's the reference to Roman political structure Romulans are based upon I suppose? I don't know the Romulan history too well, never went in for Elves.

Their political structure is essentially Roman late Republic, Early Empire with a secret police grafted on.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

Would you like to know more? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    daelosprimedaelosprime Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm. Romulans I might play more than my KDF, but first I want some time with them on Tribble. Can't wait for that test weekend!
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    how much money will that cost?
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want to see how the Tribble test process is handled. When I see how it rolls out--and when I see how bug-finding and FEEDBACK from Tribble is handled--then I will decide if I find it worthwhile to spend money. Not before.

I appreciate that it looks like we're going to get something big. But I will determine its worth when I see its quality and the customer service surrounding it. Not before.

I do have one curious question, though. I understand that Romulans and Remans will be the species we're allowed to play. Have you designed a female Reman? Always wondered how one would look.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmmm...

Wife told me of this. While it looks amazing on the websites, it is still vaporware until it hits the live servers.

Myself and several hundred others will be watching this with interest to see if Cryptic has changed, or if the same ol', same ol' still holds true for them.

Myself, i hope they hit a home run, i been waiting for this for a very long time. So I pray history does not repeat itself..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow if Cryptic can pull this off witha full KDF and romulan faction then they will redeem themselves in my eyes. Not to happy that we are D'tan's romulan as my characters follow a evil side
    Volmack is a MU infiltrator
    Jokag is a member of the House of Duras
    And I suppose if I make a romulan they would be a secret Tal Shiar agent but love the idea of a TOS BOP. Pity can't get a T5 Connie or D7 for the other factions to have a TOS battle
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm... The Romulan plot line has been what I've been suggesting for nearly 3 years now. I would quote myself but it would come up as *robot voice* ARCHIVED POST. Very happy to see this. I look forward to running to running a Romulan to end game, they are on of my favorite factions. I'll just have to wait till mid-July to August, dang basic training, lol.

:cool:
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I guess some of the KDF people missed that they're getting a minimum of 20 new levels of content.

How sad for them.

There is "missed" and there is not ready to believe .
    After Cryptic's little history with the KDF , are you that surprised ?

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this Rommy's 1-50 thing . :o
  • Options
    tosfantosfan Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Okay guys, I just want to get something straight....

I waited an entire month, watching the countdown with the excitement of a TRIBBLE fan-girl, and this morning I wake up at 5:40 just to countdown to 6 o'clock and what do I find? DISAPPOINTMENT.

I find out that I have to wait till May 21 to play as the Romulans. I watched a countdown, for a countdown! This is not Inception my friends, this is Star Trek. I expected them to be a little less mysterious about their ways, but noooooo, they have to make you think something big is coming and then, KING'S EX! We just wanted to tell you what is gonna happen in another 2 months!

Bravo Cryptic. Bra. vo. The name of your company says it all.

Anyone else feel let down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HIPPIES. HIPPIES EVERYWHERE.
  • Options
    hitherowhitherow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

'completed the KDF' ? No. They just lowered the starting level 1.

Uhm.. Hate to break it to you but they're putting it /back/ to 1.. It was starting at 1 at launch then they moved it to 20. And it used to be a lot worse than it is now. I'm one of the ones that went from 1-50 doing the grind and I have the Orion Marauder from before they moved the free ship token to a 600 day vet reward.

But everyone likes to jump to conclusions. Most always go with the negative and so they /look/ for all the negative. Look to the good in it eh? You'll not get so many ulcers :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic Join Date: March 2010
    "We will not go quietly into the night" ~Independence Day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ... and KDF receives the final boning.

What do you mean by this? if you read the full synopsis, players will be able to START playing as Klingon as well. How is this getting boned?
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tosfan wrote: »
    Okay guys, I just want to get something straight....

I waited an entire month, watching the countdown with the excitement of a TRIBBLE fan-girl, and this morning I wake up at 5:40 just to countdown to 6 o'clock and what do I find? DISAPPOINTMENT.

I find out that I have to wait till May 21 to play as the Romulans. I watched a countdown, for a countdown! This is not Inception my friends, this is Star Trek. I expected them to be a little less mysterious about their ways, but noooooo, they have to make you think something big is coming and then, KING'S EX! We just wanted to tell you what is gonna happen in another 2 months!

Bravo Cryptic. Bra. vo. The name of your company says it all.

Anyone else feel let down?
    You honestly thought that you would have been able to play as a Romulan on March 21, 2013? Really? This reveal was always going to be about the May 2013 update, so you being upset that you have to wait TWO MONTHS for you creating a Romulan character is just silly.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.