test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Constant Server disconnects

Comments

• hiplyrustichiplyrustic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Static routes is only of use if you are connected to multiple ISPs simultaneously, which is not applicable to the vast majority of STO users...

The only groups that have the ability to influence the Internet route declarations, is Cryptic/PWE through their Internet gateway declarations, and local ISPs through their peering relationships with the Internet Backbone providers...

(Which implies, that in addition to complaining to Cryptic/PWE to 'fix' their gateway, you can also complain to your local ISP to find a less congestive route to the STO servers)

Thank you for showing that you don't know TCP/IP nearly as well as you think you do.

Now, since you can't and won't do anything more helpful than spam the same thing over and over in this thread, would you please do those of us who are having issues and trying to keep heat on PWE/Cryptic to fix what they have acknowledged is their problem a favor and just stop?
  • locke112164locke112164 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    im in the dallas area and i have been playing hell trying to play. constant disconnects. server not responding everytime i try to transition from one map to another. its a real TRIBBLE shoot lately.
    my net is working prefectly. its only sto that is fubared. it really got bad right after this last patch. seems that after each and every patch the game connection goes south. cryptic plain and simple FIX IT NOW!!!
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I know, right!? Me too.

My rear would be chewed if I had a ticket logged that had greater then a 24 hr turn around without a response. If one of my customers were placed on hold for 10 minutes or longer by one of my team members . . . Id also hear about it as its completely unacceptable. It speaks VOLUMES when this stuff happens. Its either a failure to be adequately staffed or a failure in the product/service itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    The only significant difference (as far as Internet connections are concerned) between a Cable and a DSL connection is that DSL has a lower upload speed. Both Cable and DSL have lower upload speeds then download speeds, but DSL more so.

Of course, for the fans at home, otaku forgets (or...wow...doesn't know?) that ADSL is but one flavor of DSL...and that SDSL has upload speeds just as fast as download speeds (you can pay for the same service from cable providers as well, folks). He also forgets (again...or just doesn't know) to mention VDSL which has the same 30Mbps capability as raw cable.

And oh...if you really need (and have the home network architecture to handle it) ludicrous speed, you can bond multiple dsl lines...since you almost never use all the pairs of copper coming to your house. You can, of course, likewise aggregate multiple cable connections as well...but that's going to mean new additional runs of coax from the road to your house.

But hey...why bother with the facts?
  • brickyardbrickyard Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's just SERVER CAPACITY, or should I say, the LACK of it during weekends?

Server disco's, long map loading times, delay to get all systems/GUI up after map change...

Thankgod it's almost Monday again :(
    P2W is Pay to Play for me, what else? Duh! :D
  • flips7flips7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey brickyard, I'd like to believe your theory on this problem if cogentco servers weren't constantly implicated and this issue hadn't started on a thursday and been continuous interruption of gameplay from Thursday through Sunday, while I really HOPE it gets better monday, I doubt it as this has not appeared to be a Server Capacity issue, Cryptic also issuing an apology and stating they hope to get things back to normal as soon as possible. For me I really hope things are back as soon as possible as since I lost my job I've been using the game in between searching for a job for some sanity and right now I'm going insane with this...
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Of course, for the fans at home, otaku forgets (or...wow...doesn't know?) that ADSL is but one flavor of DSL...and that SDSL has upload speeds just as fast as download speeds (you can pay for the same service from cable providers as well, folks). He also forgets (again...or just doesn't know) to mention VDSL which has the same 30Mbps capability as raw cable.

And oh...if you really need (and have the home network architecture to handle it) ludicrous speed, you can bond multiple dsl lines...since you almost never use all the pairs of copper coming to your house. You can, of course, likewise aggregate multiple cable connections as well...but that's going to mean new additional runs of coax from the road to your house.

But hey...why bother with the facts?

VDSL has a lot more than what you mentioned also. Although my DSL service is called Fiber, it's essentially a VSDL service. The ISP determines the maximum speeds based on the limitation of the service and what they want to offere. The maximum available where I live is 175Mbits down and 175Mbits up through the various forms of service offered through the same company I use for my internet service.

Here's a shout out to all of those Canadian's! I'm from Toronto. :cool:
    edited March 2013
    flips7 wrote: »
    Hey brickyard, I'd like to believe your theory on this problem if cogentco servers weren't constantly implicated and this issue hadn't started on a thursday and been continuous interruption of gameplay from Thursday through Sunday, while I really HOPE it gets better monday, I doubt it as this has not appeared to be a Server Capacity issue, Cryptic also issuing an apology and stating they hope to get things back to normal as soon as possible. For me I really hope things are back as soon as possible as since I lost my job I've been using the game in between searching for a job for some sanity and right now I'm going insane with this...

I'm pretty sure Cryptic has professional data traffic monitor tools and can watch what's going on. They probably have a SLA with Cogento. All I like to see/notice is a solid solution for this issue.

My 5 cents
  • taringiltaringil Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic this is rediculous. The problem is on your side. I played for 8 hours yesterday with no problem. Starting a 2100 hrs CTS yesterday and continuing to now, the server not responding, inability to switch maps, and general in ability to get on the @#$%^ game has plagued me. As a lifetime member and a customer who has spent a great deal of money on your game I am very upset. I will not spend another dime on this game until you acknowledge and then fix the problem. Ticket submitted with supporting documentation. Now get to work!:mad:
  • billymanchildbillymanchild Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The lag the last few days for me has been atrocious, always in the evening (gmt). Completely unplayable, rubberbanding, disconnecting.

I got a jem bug the other day, lucky me. I have no use for it atm, so I planned to sell it. While cleaning my inv, I try to move it, nothing. Try again, nothing. 2 mins later - my 2 attempted inv moves result in the equivalent of a double click. Box opens, ship now owned. F*ck my life.

All I can hope for is that your abysmally slow customer service can revert that. Lag shouldn't cost me a few million creds really.

Sort your ****.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The lag the last few days for me has been atrocious, always in the evening (gmt). Completely unplayable, rubberbanding, disconnecting.

I got a jem bug the other day, lucky me. I have no use for it atm, so I planned to sell it. While cleaning my inv, I try to move it, nothing. Try again, nothing. 2 mins later - my 2 attempted inv moves result in the equivalent of a double click. Box opens, ship now owned. F*ck my life.

All I can hope for is that your abysmally slow customer service can revert that. Lag shouldn't cost me a few million creds really.

Sort your ****.

Oh my god. That is really unlucky. And not just a few million creds... A few HUNDRED.

Contact CS, for all the good it will do. Perhaps they could help you.

And I agree with previous posters. I'd love some responses and feedback from anyone inside Cryptic or PWE as to whether they are at least looking over the problem while eating donuts. Anything is better than nothing.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • temmintemmin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is horrible. The game has become unplayable at this point. No resolve in sight Cryptic? I don't recall Cryptic allowing so many bugs and problems to go on for so long.
    edited March 2013
    temmin wrote: »
    This is horrible. The game has become unplayable at this point. No resolve in sight Cryptic? I don't recall Cryptic allowing so many bugs and problems to go on for so long.

Where have you been for the past 3 years?! This whole game is one giant mess of bugs with the odd thing working unintentionally. :P
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Okay, I've lived with this issue for three days now. Enough is enough.

There has been near-constant lag symptoms, server not responding on load screens, and random disconnects.

Most of the time its semi-tolerable. Sometimes it's even amusing, like earlier today when I was constantly pulling the Reverse Picard Maneuver in Gorn Minefield and still took first place.

But then there's times when it goes beyond an inconvenience and actually ruins something. Like last night when I got disconnected seconds before my team got the optional on KASE. Or tonight when the server decided to go awol while I was trying to mine a rich dilithium claim.

I love this game - I really do. And I'm trying to close out my rep grinds and build up my fleet. But this server issue is making it almost impossible for me to enjoy myself. Even when everything is going well, I can't relax and have fun for the constant fear that I'll suddenly stop moving, watch Server Not Responding count up to some infinite sum and then find staring at the login screen.

This is not acceptable. This has gone on too long and has affected too many people for this not to be Cryptic's problem. I couldn't care less about the countdown running out on Thursday or the BIg May Update at this point - I just want to be able to play my favorite game again.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited March 2013
    Change that, I am having full blown problems again, the fix only lasted for a few hours last night, today is back in the crapper...

Okay, after having problems from Thursday until today I got fed up and wrote the help desk, here is what they had to say, and YES my problems are solved, playing like I used to and am so happy about it. What worked for me out of this was the port forwarding and Force Verify and On-Demand Patching changes listed, hope it helps some of you all out:

Greetings Player,

======> Here's some information that can help you with some common problems.

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again a little bit later before trying anything else. This is important!

You can try running Options > Force Verify on the game launcher menu, let that complete and try again.

You can try disabling on-demand patching in Options on the game launcher and try the game again.

You can try reinstalling the game with the latest game client. If you are having problems with the launcher, you can try replacing it for your game: (English client)

STO: http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star%20Trek%20Online.exe

-> You can try flushing your DNS to help with connection issues.

1) Press the Windows Key + R

Should bring up Run window.

2) Type in cmd and press Enter

A black command prompt window should appear.

3) Type in ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Since the update, your security software may have decided to start blocking the game or patching process. Please carefully go over the info below to help you.

Please make sure that you have Team Viewer disabled.

Check to make sure the following ports are open and allowed through your firewall.
    IPs: 208.95.184.0/22
    TCP Ports: 80, 443, 7000-7500

You may need to check with your internet provider, your network device's Help or Support resources, on how to do so.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7/8, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You may need to update to the latest version of DirectX and Internet Explorer 8/9/10 with Javascript enabled. --> You should try setting Internet Explorer as your default web browser if on Windows 7 or 8. Also try deleting the cookies and cache on all of your web browsers, especially Internet Explorer, then restart it.

You can uninstall Pando Media Booster or shut it down (PMB.exe in Windows Task Manager) if you start getting unusual lag spikes, system resource problems, bandwidth issues, or other network issues (usually after you install the game, or if Pando has issue with a current install). Info about pando issues: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4042

You may also need to check or change your network settings. In addition, you should check that your CPU, mainboard, and video drivers are updated if applicable. You may need to update your version of Windows(latest Service Pack, etc). You may need to update or install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

You may also have to disable, shut down, uninstall, or disable any: torrent, keyboard/mouse, web browser toolbars, video/screen capture, gamepad/input device, multimedia, Instant Messaging, voice over IP, web browser games, other games software applications before downloading, installing, updating, logging into, and playing the game. Basically shut down all non-essential programs.

- You can try using the Task Manager built into Windows to review what processes and services are running on your computer that might be causing problems or using too many resources. Or you can use Process Explorer, which you can download from Microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

You may need a program like Winzip or WinRAR to extract the file. Put the executable file (ends in .exe) in a folder location where you can find it easily, like your Desktop or Documents. Then just start it up. Please note that the information that it shows is of a technical nature, and shutting down (or kill process) processes that you don't really know what it does can mess up or crash your system.

This tool is best for seeing what is running, and you can research the processes that you see online in a search engine to see what can or can't be shut down. You can also find out what could be responsible for any software conflicts, or if something is using too many resources on your system.

If you are unsure of what to do with this tool, see Microsoft's support for this tool, and/or have a PC Tech professional help you.

If you need further help, when you contact us by a support ticket, please answer the following questions:
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would you by any chance know what route the VPN service is taking to PWE's server farm?

I took some tracert readings with and without VPN active if that's what you mean?

The VPN seems to decrease ping times by some 50-70ms to patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • aldouscaldousc Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The game is unplayable with the lag.
    edited March 2013
    flips7 wrote: »
    Greetings Player,

======> Here's some information that can help you with some common problems.

You may also have to disable, shut down, uninstall, or disable any: torrent, keyboard/mouse, web browser toolbars, video/screen capture, gamepad/input device, multimedia, Instant Messaging, voice over IP, web browser games, other games software applications before downloading, installing, updating, logging into, and playing the game. Basically shut down all non-essential programs.

Glad you're running well again. :)

This part of that letter made me laugh though. You may have to uninstall your mouse, your keyboard, skype, vent, mumble, windows media player, real player, quicktime, iTunes, and all other games you have in order for our game to work.

Priceless. :D

In other news, I'm back to having slideshow-grade lag again. Oh Joy.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Glad you're running well again. :)

This part of that letter made me laugh though. You may have to uninstall your mouse, your keyboard, skype, vent, mumble, windows media player, real player, quicktime, iTunes, and all other games you have in order for our game to work.

Priceless. :D

Lemme guess.... If none of that works I would also have to shut off my operating system then my computer's power supply just to get STO to run correctly again? :eek:
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
    edited March 2013
    Brilliant, after some measure of decent gameplay yesterday I wake up this morning to slideshow lag and constant DCs when zoning or transwarping. Login server may or may not talk to me as well.

Pings straight to the login server bomb 25-75% of the time, pings straight at the patchserver bomb roughly 25% of the time.

Seriously guys, fix it.
    edited March 2013
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only one dev response saying they were "working on it." Other than that, no word on how they're doing.

EDIT: I've been able to log in under the US Proxy. So far, no problems since last night. Not sure if it'll help anyone else. Worth a shot.
  • sebastioncanesebastioncane Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyone else having server issues I can't seem to stay logged on to STO more than two to five minutes before I get disconnected from the server, this has been going on for about 12 hours now, does anyone know if STO is aware of this problem and when it will be fixed?
  • sebastioncanesebastioncane Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Server issue, anyone else having problems with getting disconnected every couple of minutes
    I have been getting disconnected from the server every two to five minutes for the last twelve hours and I'm hearing from a lot of other people who seem to be having the same issue, does anyone know if STO is aware of this problem and when it might get fixed?
  • libertylasslibertylass Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sigh, another day another unplayable time with no acknowledgement or Dev response. Tried logging in at lunch and good ole Server Not Responding.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wasn't getting disconnected but the Academy Event a couple hours back was super-laggy. Maybe the servers hadn't had their morning coffee yet.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited March 2013
    I have to admit I thought I was fixed, but alas I am waiting for servers forever again, problems are still quite frustrating as I'm sure everyone else is
  • shad0wnyxshad0wnyx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    :mad:

Ever since the last patch connection in the evening is awful, it all begins at 17:00 GMT and by 19:00 GMT the game is unplayable.

I can tracert, ping, flushdns, open ports, create port triggering, port forwarding, turn off my firewall, try the game proxys... all of it is simply busy work... why?

Here's the thing - I have three different ISPs, my phone (tethered), a 3G usb stick and a cable provider - my lowest connection speeds is 15Mb and highest 60Mb ALL of them have this issue. My PC has this issue with these connection types, I tried it on laptop also to be sure.

They are working on it? It's a shame for all the "working on it" it is never fixed for long.

Where is the accountability?

Where is the communication with players?
    ETA of the fix?
    A small brief on the issue?
    A simple acknowledgement to the players?
    Are you guys allergic to money?

I know if I owned this game that connection would be paramount as connection = revenue.

I'm really getting to the end of my patience with this game, I really enjoy STO however the connection issues are terrible. EVERY other online game / MMO I can play without issue (on any connection) except this one, I think it is time to take my money elsewhere. Enough is Enough.
    edited March 2013
    Anyone else having server issues I can't seem to stay logged on to STO more than two to five minutes before I get disconnected from the server, this has been going on for about 12 hours now, does anyone know if STO is aware of this problem and when it will be fixed?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=285951

Add your voice there. And oh yes, they are aware.
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's monday evening here.... guess what?

Bah I'm so done with this, continue 'server not responding', didn't get credit after finishing pvp queue, yada yada, etc etc.

Laterzzzzzzzzzzz