What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Constant Server disconnects

Comments

• Options
    quaenordequaenorde Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Tell me how someone else's router hardware affects Cryptic's server?

The connection from your house to Cryptic's servers doesn't go directly to Cryptic over Cryptic internet lines. It goes through existing connection companies, like Congentoco. If those companies have issues with their connections, their customers- in this case Cryptic itself- also have issues with their connections and so Cryptic's customers, us, get those issues as well.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    v4liance wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Really sorry about the latency and disconnect issues you're having. Right now, our engineers are aware that some of our players are experiencing these issues, and they're working on fixing it.

Again, I'm really sorry, and I promise we'll get this fixed as soon as possible.

- Val
    So far, I'm personally unaffected, but I hope it's resolved soon.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The lag and disconnects have been going on with me also. Quite a bit for the last 2-3 days.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    flips7flips7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It may not go directly to Cryptic but it will go through servers supplied to them, I hope they get on the phone and get those providers to step up their game, I've been unable to zone in or out, can't switch characters, and this has been going on for two days straight. Tested internet connection and it's the quickest since I've got my service and other online games are playing very smoothly so I know that this is not a computer or local issue. I would include a traceroute or ping results but I do not know how to get that info. *crossing fingers this is resolved soon
  • Options
    flips7flips7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am having the same issues today March 16th 2013

login server disconnect 208.95.184.192.7001

ok...in another attempt to be helpful to the server techs i accessed the server logs on my computer for STonline and this is what they read as (though i really have no clue as to what they can even possibly mean, or even if they can be used to diagnose my severely annoying dosconnect problems:

(all this from just a few attempts to get into the game)

120701 00:05:05 14 Client[0]: LoginServer link attempting connect: 208.95.184.43:7001
    120701 00:06:11 15 Client[0]: LoginServer link disconnected (208.95.184.43:7001). Reason: gclLoginFail(997:Unknown socket error) (socket error 997: Unknown socket error)
    120701 00:07:08 16 Client[0]: LoginServer link attempting connect: 208.95.184.192:7001
    120701 00:09:13 17 Client[0]: LoginServer link disconnected (208.95.184.192:7001). Reason: gclLoginFail(997:Unknown socket error) (socket error 997: Unknown socket error)
    120701 00:10:34 18 Client[0]: LoginServer link attempting connect: 208.95.184.42:7001
    120701 00:11:42 19 Client[0]: LoginServer link disconnected (208.95.184.42:7001). Reason: socket was shutdown(10054:Connection reset by remote host) (socket error 10054: Connection reset by remote host)
    120701 00:11:42 20 Client[0]: ChatRelay link disconnected (208.95.184.43:7409). Reason: gclChatConnect_Logout(997:Unknown socket error) (socket error 997: Unknown socket error)
    120701 00:26:08 21 Client[0]: LoginServer link attempting connect: 208.95.184.34:7001
    120701 00:26:20 22 Client[0]: LoginServer link disconnected (208.95.184.34:7001). Reason: socket was shutdown(10054:Connection reset by remote host) (socket error 10054: Connection reset by remote host)
    120701 00:26:20 23 Client[0]: ChatRelay link disconnected (208.95.184.43:7413). Reason: gclChatConnect_Logout(997:Unknown socket error) (socket error 997: Unknown socket error)

so my all burning question of the moment.....what is the unknown socket error?

update: after looking up online what an error 997, and an error 10054 is, and grabbing a free registry cleaner and optimizer, and purging my system of a lot of errors, and surfing at speeds i have not been able to for a long time, i have concluded that your network is offically borked.....remote peer server disconnects? sounds like some tech monkey flipped the wrong switch ot the office....i'm still disconnected, repeatedly and often, by your servers for some ungodly wholy unknown reason.....are you even going to attempt to fix this, or much less give us some explination as to why your remote host just doesn't like some of us at all? i've fixed all i can on my end and it's running smoothe here.....the problem is somewhere in your servers....
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    flips7 wrote: »
    I would include a traceroute or ping results but I do not know how to get that info.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

This thread has instructions on how to run a traceroute and nettest.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyone else getting that message EVERYTIME they switch maps/locations? My brother and I have been going through this since yesterday. I didnt see any other threads about it and I'm wondering if its just us before we log a ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    oops. just saw another thread about this - sorry. please ignore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was able to log in this afternoon. So far everything seems okay, but NPC's and other players are constantly stuttering in movement. However, there's no sign of any serious lag or any disconnects.

I'm not holding my breath though.
  • Options
    guysmiley777guysmiley777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kelgarr1 wrote: »
    Same issue here Austin TX.
    Issue was bad Friday, but last 3 hours I cant seem to get into any new map.
    connection is showing fine and when I ping STO servers, I am getting a response back.

Same here in Dallas, TX with Time Warner. Started last night and is continuing this morning.
  • Options
    bones1775bones1775 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    having connection issues all day here in North Carolina
  • Options
    pozmedley1963pozmedley1963 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Columbia, South Carolina - Time Warner

Almost constant problems just getting the launcher fully loaded then issues logging on.
    When I do get on, more than frequent 'server not responding' messages. Previously, these would resolve in a few seconds but for the past three days I have had to close the game entirely to get out of these instances.

Can't even make purchases through C-Store when I am in game.
  • Options
    gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is the worst I've ever seen of the connection to this server. Does it really take this amount of time to determine a problem? Other MMOs would have had this fixed by now. I haven't even been able to log in for the last 16 hours.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    I'm going to say the issue is with Cogentco again. Specifically: t0-3-0-6.ccr22.hos01.atlas.cogentco.com

I just want to make a point of correcting this. Login in using a DNS server that completely doesn't touch Cogentco still causes the server not responding during map transfers. That makes it definitely an issue on Cryptic's end. I have tested from multiple internet connections using DNS servers and without.
  • Options
    nivondunivondu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is the worst I've ever seen of the connection to this server. Does it really take this amount of time to determine a problem? Other MMOs would have had this fixed by now. I haven't even been able to log in for the last 16 hours.

This is so true, I can't go from map to map without having a time out :mad:
  • Options
    thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    started for me last night

at this point the game is unplayable, i am not getting disconnects but it is taking forever to zone in

and once i do get in there a 3~5 second delay between my commands and actions

at this point all i can really do is Doff until i get pissed off

///not really asking for anything big, but with a event going on right now yall really need to extend it, and Fleet support pack sale/bonus a few more days
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lagggggggggg , Rubber banding for an obnoxious time, not being able to do damage tthe targets and so on.

worst patch ever ! ... ever ... !!!!! :mad:

the game just became unplayable for a lot of people, as it gets assaulted by waves of lag.

i did a test and it shows ping up to 1200+ wile it shows my ping on other destinations betwin 16 and 216 , so, it's something with you're game server.

hope you fix that as soon as possible, meanwhile, I'm already updating other games to go check them. :D

really hope you fix this in time, as it's right during a weekend event and lots of people can't play the game properly. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    highcasualtyratehighcasualtyrate Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    A shadow looms... :eek:

THIS, The only Looming shadow as of now is the shadow of a server with a blown warp core. Can't get past the launcher today. Maybe they should change the countdown timer to when these server issues will be fixed:eek:
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    having the same issues here in Kansas City, Mo. I cant move a map with out "server disconnect" every single time and it took 4 tries for the launcher to come up.
  • Options
    pozmedley1963pozmedley1963 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dang! Twelve disconnects in an hour. Unable to patch. Unable to log on. Unable to do jack.

You should NOT be permitted to add one more season until you fix all this 'stuff' you have let pile up and neglected over the past three years. And I"M a patient guy. I've been playing since it started and have overlooked all these little issues and bugs by telling myself you guys have a lot on your plate and it will be worth it in the end, but it just KEEPS GETTING worse.

Just STOP. Stop the New Seasons, new ships, and all the stuff you throw out to make more money and fix what you have FIRST. You'll generate a hell of a lot more respect, players, and money in the end. Just exactly what business model do you operate on anyway?

This is truly unacceptable.

If I thought it would help, I'd complain to CBS with the hopes that there is SOME kind of agreement between the two of you that you have to maintain a certain level of excellence in service.
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dang! Twelve disconnects in an hour. Unable to patch. Unable to log on. Unable to do jack.

You should NOT be permitted to add one more season until you fix all this 'stuff' you have let pile up and neglected over the past three years. And I"M a patient guy. I've been playing since it started and have overlooked all these little issues and bugs by telling myself you guys have a lot on your plate and it will be worth it in the end, but it just KEEPS GETTING worse.

Just STOP. Stop the New Seasons, new ships, and all the stuff you throw out to make more money and fix what you have FIRST. You'll generate a hell of a lot more respect, players, and money in the end. Just exactly what business model do you operate on anyway?

This is truly unacceptable.

If I thought it would help, I'd complain to CBS with the hopes that there is SOME kind of agreement between the two of you that you have to maintain a certain level of excellence in service.

its not Cryptic or PWE thats the problem mate its the middle-man between us and cryptic
  • Options
    thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    I just want to make a point of correcting this. Login in using a DNS server that completely doesn't touch Cogentco still causes the server not responding during map transfers. That makes it definitely an issue on Cryptic's end. I have tested from multiple internet connections using DNS servers and without.

DNS isnt about traffic routing, it is only address translation

once your "in the game" your computer and the server are talking and no longer need the DNS tables to traslate www.*****.com to what ever the IP is
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    psymantis wrote: »
    Ah OK. My mistake. I've just had people treat me as being stupid in real life because I'm not very good at expressing myself verbally. It can be very frustrating. Apologies.
    No worries man! It's my fault for using your post as a counterpoint to an on-going conversation with grouchy, so I see how you could take that out of context.

Bottom line is people all over the world are seeing problems like this sporadically, and everything points to issues with the Cogent colo in Boston. Whether that's a device problem, network configuration issue, or simply poor provisioning by PWE is anybody's guess.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    delochedeloche Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ever since the patch a few days ago, I've been having "server not responding" issues and have been disconnected as well.
    Game is not even playable at this moment.
    Did not have any login or d/c issues before their latest patch.
  • Options
    libertylasslibertylass Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's not the patch. Champions is having the exact same problem.
  • Options
    gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When did Star Trek Online become Sim City?
  • Options
    hiplyrustichiplyrustic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    its not Cryptic or PWE thats the problem mate its the middle-man between us and cryptic

That's not entirely accurate, or their staff would not be posting this:

v4liance
    Cryptic Studios Team
    # 85
    Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Hey everyone,

Really sorry about the latency and disconnect issues you're having. Right now, our engineers are aware that some of our players are experiencing these issues, and they're working on fixing it.

Again, I'm really sorry, and I promise we'll get this fixed as soon as possible.

- Val
  • Options
    scornkorrenscornkorren Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yep, and still nothing, three days with problems, and nobody stops to take the time to tell us anything on cryptics end? Come on, with so many people paying a lot of money to play this game, can u really afford to keep us hanging? I was planning on buying a lifetime sub, but damn, Ive had more issues playing this game then a north korean missile launch!
  • Options
    guysmiley777guysmiley777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's definitely problems between Cogent and their colo servers. I ran a simple ping test to the patch server IP and I get 5% (!) packet loss.

Ping statistics for 38.111.40.114:
    Packets: Sent = 185, Received = 174, Lost = 11 (5% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 103ms, Maximum = 167ms, Average = 115ms

When I run tracert I see a ton of packets getting lost intermittently in the 154.54.x.x block as well as the 38.111.40.114 IP.

The 154.54 block is Cogent according to WHOIS:

PSINet, Inc. COGENT-154-54-16 (NET-154-54-0-0-1) 154.54.0.0 - 154.54.255.255