test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Possible for the JJ Enterprise to be in STO?

Comments

• Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can see how what you guys mean. If you compare it to the Godzilla films, all of them were fairly similar until the 98' American Godzilla that we all hated. Thankfully that didn't turn into a new movie saga.

Or the Bayformers, that would be another example. However, the extreme amount of hatred is almost uncalled for. Abrams didn't destroy Star Trek, far from that, he made it better for the current generation and era. Yes it is more similar to Star Wars, but people like action and explosions. Sadly the cries against the JJ Trek isn't loud enough to stop it and probably wont ever be. Same with Transformers.

Godzilla on the other hand... Everyone hated that 98 remake besides the few Americans who had never seen the older ones before. And thankfully more Godzilla movies have been confirmed for 2014 and he'll actually look similar to the older version but more updated.

Basically what i'm saying is that the ratio of People who hate JJ Trek to People who like it is a very unbalanced scale.

I liked the American Godzilla though it could have been tons better but i still love the Japanese Godzilla. Also the American Godzilla didn't throw out the spirit of what Godzilla was and if you saw the cartoon it became more in line with JG. Also AG didn't toss away JG at all, JJ Wreck does
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can see how what you guys mean. If you compare it to the Godzilla films, all of them were fairly similar until the 98' American Godzilla that we all hated. Thankfully that didn't turn into a new movie saga.

Or the Bayformers, that would be another example. However, the extreme amount of hatred is almost uncalled for. Abrams didn't destroy Star Trek, far from that, he made it better for the current generation and era. Yes it is more similar to Star Wars, but people like action and explosions. Sadly the cries against the JJ Trek isn't loud enough to stop it and probably wont ever be. Same with Transformers.

Godzilla on the other hand... Everyone hated that 98 remake besides the few Americans who had never seen the older ones before. And thankfully more Godzilla movies have been confirmed for 2014 and he'll actually look similar to the older version but more updated.

Basically what i'm saying is that the ratio of People who hate JJ Trek to People who like it is a very unbalanced scale.
    Whereas with JJ Trek, many who were otherwise not interested in Star Trek loved it :) The reaction among former+existing ST fans is mixed, but that's to be expected.

People have different opinions about the movie, that's okay. The sheer amount of illogical hatred though, yeah, that's uncalled for... especially for those few who can't seem to get this is an alternate reality Star Trek: ie it's never gonna be like the others, and for good reason.

It doesn't help that those who hate it are more vocal than those who liked it
    JJ Wreck does
    I fail to see any logical reason for that.

JJ Trek exists as an alternate timeline alongside the Primse Universe: it didn't overwrite it. The only new things that happened to the original Star Trek are that Romulus exploded, and Spock+Nero 'disappeared'. That's it
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I know this will do nothing to stem the irrational hatred for J. J. Abrams, but:

1. He actually does have a great deal of respect for Star Trek. Which is why he went to such great lengths to put his movie in an alternate timeline when he could have simply s**t-canned the IP and rebooted everything from scratch. (And had he done so, he could have saved himself about 40minutes of technobabble and replaced that with many, many more explosions.)

2. Working on Star Trek has actually converted him into a fan. He's said so in many interviews. He's also made Into Darkness far more character-driven as the best Trek has always been.

3. JJTrek has made many, many more new fans of the franchise than it has driven away. (You're still here, aren't you?) Anything that draws people to Star Trek cannot be considered evil.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i wish JJ never got his hands on my trek.

the guy him self said he dosnt like star trek but like star wars and wants to make it more star wars like. i despise jj dumbing down trek turning it into another pew pew lense flare peice of TRIBBLE.

the sooner he moves on to some thing else the better star trek will be. he should stick to bad tv shows or star wars

Now hold on a minute.

I contest the notion that JJ Abrams "dumbed down" Star Trek. Voyager and Enterprise were both very dumb shows. Neither show took full advantage of their settings, introduced some very stupid and/or just unlikeable characters, and had an over-reliance on Time Travel (especially in Voyager's case, where they used time travel just about every other episode to reset the ship and maintain the Status Quo).

Sitting through eleven seasons of Voyager and Enterprise, as well as Insurrection and Nemesis ... yeah, I hated Star Trek then, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    I know this will do nothing to stem the irrational hatred for J. J. Abrams, but:

1. He actually does have a great deal of respect for Star Trek. Which is why he went to such great lengths to put his movie in an alternate timeline when he could have simply s**t-canned the IP and rebooted everything from scratch. (And had he done so, he could have saved himself about 40minutes of technobabble and replaced that with many, many more explosions.)

2. Working on Star Trek has actually converted him into a fan. He's said so in many interviews. He's also made Into Darkness far more character-driven as the best Trek has always been.

3. JJTrek has made many, many more new fans of the franchise than it has driven away. (You're still here, aren't you?) Anything that draws people to Star Trek cannot be considered evil.
    Yeah, it probably won't, but I do agree :) Especially with #3
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I liked the American Godzilla though it could have been tons better but i still love the Japanese Godzilla. Also the American Godzilla didn't throw out the spirit of what Godzilla was and if you saw the cartoon it became more in line with JG. Also AG didn't toss away JG at all, JJ Wreck does

I'm not trying to start a rage fest about the subject, but the US Godzilla was really nothing like the Japanese one. First off, the designers were told to make Godzilla fast and agile. They werent told to keep him looking like Godzilla so that is one of the fanbases first gripes. Secondly, he didnt breath fire in the movie, it was like a gas that ignited some nearby fire. Also Godzilla doesnt eat fish, lay or eggs, or look like a giant Iguana.

And I did watch the Cartoon and it was decent, but not Godzilla. Now the Godzilla 2000 saga after the 98 film was what Godzilla should be.

And before we get this off of track, back to Star Trek.

The hate for JJ is also pretty bad for Trekkies, but wait till Star Wars: Episode VII comes out. If it isn't like how Star Wars fans want it to be... Just imagine the reign of terror to commence...
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
  • Options
    edited March 2013

we're hear for this is true trek JJ Wreck was an atytempt at reboot that isn't working well. What it's well known is JJ Wreck 1 failed outside the US
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    we're hear for this is true trek JJ Wreck was an atytempt at reboot that isn't working well. What it's well known is JJ Wreck 1 failed outside the US
    So? Not one of the Prime Universe Star Trek's did well overseas either, compared to domestic :) Star Trek's never sold well overseas, and Paramount has admitted that despite only a 33% international gross with JJ Trek, they're satisfied with that.

And I fail to see how more-than-double-it's-budget plus very positive critic/commercial response (even if fan reaction has both those who never saw ST but loved it, or older fans who either liked it or not) equals 'not working well'.

That just doesn't sound logical.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It made about $120 million overseas. Some movies wish they would fail like that.

Not every movie can be The Avengers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I wish I could respond to you but your post is so incoherent and rife with spelling errors I have no clear idea of what you actually said.

Please enjoy the music instead.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    But it should have done better but it didn't. once again what is still selling. TRUE trek. STO is true Trek storyline wise.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oddly, if it was possible, I could see the JJprise fitting into sto, same as the Narada via the tholians doing their time/dimension displacement antics..Personally I would not want them as they'd likely be lockbox ships and more so as they cater to the near mindless 'pew pew' mentality that dominates the game as it is but I could see them maybe appearing as testbed replicas created from the brief scans the kdf and feds took before another alternate universe JJprise was destroyed (as was the Narada)

..and yes, I'd go JJprise feds, Narada kdf...as they deserve it :p
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I wish I could respond to you but your post is so incoherent and rife with spelling errors I have no clear idea of what you actually said.

Please enjoy the music instead.

Kremin Timeship.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    But it should have done better but it didn't. once again what is still selling. TRUE trek. STO is true Trek storyline wise.
    "should have done better"? By who's standards? Yours?

All attempts to say otherwise, any film that makes back it's budget is a success. Anything more than that, and you go up the scale, all the way up to overwhelming success. Maybe JJ Trek wasn't an overwhelming success, but who really cares? It did well with critics, drew a lot of fans who otherwise never had an interest in ST (which is a good thing), and earned back more than double it's budget, even if it didn't hit triple.

I call that good enough, and I really don't see how others can say otherwise. And yes STO is selling relatively well, but that doesn't automatically make it the only 'good' ST out there.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    Oddly, if it was possible, I could see the JJprise fitting into sto, same as the Narada via the tholians doing their time/dimension displacement antics..Personally I would not want them as they'd likely be lockbox ships and more so as they cater to the near mindless 'pew pew' mentality that dominates the game as it is but I could see them maybe appearing as testbed replicas created from the brief scans the kdf and feds took before another alternate universe JJprise was destroyed (as was the Narada)

..and yes, I'd go JJprise feds, Narada kdf...as they deserve it :p

No. You want to give the KDF THAT ship? Isn't the Narada, oh I don't know, a little TOO big to be put into STO?
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    "should have done better"? By who's standards? Yours?

All attempts to say otherwise, any film that makes back it's budget is a success. Anything more than that, and you go up the scale, all the way up to overwhelming success. Maybe JJ Trek wasn't an overwhelming success, but who really cares? It did well with critics, drew a lot of fans who otherwise never had an interest in ST (which is a good thing), and earned back more than double it's budget, even if it didn't hit triple.

I call that good enough, and I really don't see how others can say otherwise. And yes STO is selling relatively well, but that doesn't automatically make it the only 'good' ST out there.

e bulk of the fans don't like JJ Wreck, that is a fact. while they went to see it in theaters they didn't by the DVD and are wary of Into Darkness. While JJ might not have lost money with JJ Wreck it still could have been better. THIS IS STAR TREK WE"RE TALKING ABOUT.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    e bulk of the fans don't like JJ Wreck, that is a fact. while they went to see it in theaters they didn't by the DVD and are wary of Into Darkness. While JJ might not have lost money with JJ Wreck it still could have been better. THIS IS STAR TREK WE"RE TALKING ABOUT.
    JJ Trek ISN'T the original Star Trek though: it is an alternate reality, with new rules and ways to do, just with familiar names and characters. That means it's not subject to anything the original was about, which is the point.

And how does 'new fans (half) loved it, while it's mixed between older fans (ie some like it, others don't)' constitute a 'bulk'? A quarter to a third don't like it, I understand that, but the majority? I don't think so

I think you're just looking for scapegoats to hate the film imo.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If size matters...

Since the Odyssey Cruiser is supposed to be about 850 to 1100 meters according to the carrier ship chart in one of the Stickys and (according to Memory Alpha) the JJ Constitution is about 725.35 meters in length...

...I'm SURE that everyone would love seeing a Constitution-class ship in STO that is almost the size of the Odyssey-class. It would really put the proper perspective on things...

:D
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    crypt0kn1ghtcrypt0kn1ght Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I watched the original series growing up (and loved the cartoons as a kid) and the newer series (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) later on. They were good. None of this prevented me from enjoying the most recent movie. It was done well.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I watched the original series growing up (and loved the cartoons as a kid) and the newer series (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) later on. They were good. None of this prevented me from enjoying the most recent movie. It was done well.
    That's me in a nutshell too: watched the originals, loved them, but nothing prevented me from enjoying the new film :D
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono!

This...and to add HELL NO!
  • Options
    phoenix234567phoenix234567 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is quite an odd request because I always thought that the Exeter class is exactly there for the purpose of delivering something akin to the STXI Constitution.

I mean the Exeter's asthetics feature quite alot of similarities to the STXI Connie,
    from the disproportional big Bussard collectors right down to the ambigiously sized shuttlebay.

In that regard I'd say the question is not when we will ever see that ship ingame but how close you would want it to resemble either the "Prime Connie" or the "STXI Connie".
    C'mon Cryptic, the Typhoon Battleship is the most aggressive and badass looking ship in the entire Starfleet. How could it not be playable!?
    And don't forget about the Jupiter and the Balaur and every other awesome NPC ship that absolutely deserves to be playable!
    C'mon Cryptic, we know you can do it!
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well the Enterprise E is not from any of the TV series, nor is the Akira, the Steamrunner and a long list of others that all came from Paramount that we are using and as long they don't give it lower decks that look like the interior of a brewery I would welcome the ships inclusion, I don't think it would change this game in any way negative whatsoever.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise E was in the movies owned by CBS. So its in the game.

The Arika and Steamrunner appeared in DS9 so they have appeared on screen, although still lacking in detail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Whatever, I'm tired and overcome with not caring. It's been a long time since the series and I'm not big on reruns, so I guess I goofed, my bad. By all means lets forget the Abrams Enterprise because some people hated the movie and god knows we don't want it to take the place of some beat up retro antique P.O.S. like the Ambassador that some nerd is drooling over.
    To be honest, I'm tired of seeing ships pulled out of the past, it's Star Trek and it's supposed to be in the year 2409, not the friggin Time Tunnel.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    long story short, Cryptic's license is from CBS, CBS owns all Trek TV and Films prior to JJ trek, Paramount owns JJ Trek. Therefore STO cannot use material from JJ-Trek. Period. Not Gonna happen, Stop asking.
  • Options
    joshl7889joshl7889 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well the Enterprise E is not from any of the TV series, nor is the Akira, the Steamrunner and a long list of others that all came from Paramount that we are using and as long they don't give it lower decks that look like the interior of a brewery I would welcome the ships inclusion, I don't think it would change this game in any way negative whatsoever.

actually the Akira and Steamrunner class starships r seen quite often in DS9's later seasons once the war really began
    *Me*Why don't you just step away from the weapons console. You and I both know that you couldn't hit that cube, even if it was right in front of us.
    *Junior Tactical Officer* But sir the cube IS right in front of us.
    *Me* EXACTLY! Its right in front of us and you still missed it! Just step away from the console.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What in the heck do we have to gain from jj verse, nothing. To borrow a quote: "He destroyed a prime universe planet and we fall back, he took the greatest ambassador and we fall back. not again. The line must be drawn here!!!! This far no further!!!"

:P

47_thyelinemustbedrawnhere.jpg

NO JJ-Prise!

((And i'm so glad that cbs and paramount have the above agreement, about ships from movies))
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nutiketgotcnutiketgotc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why would you want a knockoff constitution class ship that is the size of a Caitian Carrier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]