test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible for the JJ Enterprise to be in STO?

Comments

• hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    @ hereticknight085 It is not the same and I ma still ignoring your posts.

@magusofborg I couldn't agree with you further ToS,TMP rules.

Amusing. I try to be nice and make a comment based on what I have seen in the past... and I get this. Btw Age, if you actually are ignoring my posts, then why did you respond to it?
    hevach wrote: »
    That was not created by JJ Abrams (to nitpick, JJ Abrams didn't actually create anything, he only directed it - the movie was created by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman). It was created by Mike Johnson of IDW Publishing and is, in fact, not canon to either timeline and exists as a licensed product itself separate from CBS or Paramount's Star Trek IPs.

You are correct, the movie was directed by him, not created. My apologies. But it doesn't change the fact that this game, which is what the ship from that movie is being requested to be included in, is in fact based off of that timeline. So if anything, it still makes perfect sense to include that ship in this game.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • adamma1701adamma1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    JJ-prise is canon, no matter how much you wish it was not. (so is Voyager: Threshold)

However it's in an different universe/parallel reality and does not belong in STO outside of some non-existent episode that actually sends you INTO that alternate past.
    Instead of the JJ-prise I would rather see a t5 Connie or NX.

As to STO being canon it is not, STO is based on canon but not restricted to it. Furthermore, it is extremely unlikely anything that happens in STO will ever be considered official "Trek" history.

Cheers
    edited March 2013
    adamma1701 wrote: »
    JJ-prise is canon, no matter how much you wish it was not. (so is Voyager: Threshold)

However it's in an different universe/parallel reality and does not belong in STO outside of some non-existent episode that actually sends you INTO that alternate past.
    Instead of the JJ-prise I would rather see a t5 Connie or NX.

As to STO being canon it is not, STO is based on canon but not restricted to it. Furthermore, it is extremely unlikely anything that happens in STO will ever be considered official "Trek" history.

Cheers

Which still doesn't change that STO is set in the time-line that occurs AFTER the events of the JJ Abrams Star Trek. In STO, Romulus was destroyed by a supernova, and Nero and Spock are both gone. Just like in that movie. So why shouldn't that ship be included? After all, again, the game is based on that time line.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited March 2013
    Which still doesn't change that STO is set in the time-line that occurs AFTER the events of the JJ Abrams Star Trek. In STO, Romulus was destroyed by a supernova, and Nero and Spock are both gone. Just like in that movie. So why shouldn't that ship be included? After all, again, the game is based on that time line.

Nope, (Temporal mechanics is a headache) it is a different timeline.

JJtrek does in NO way relate to TNG trek, JJtrek did not "rewrite TNG history" It is a complete and seperate universe, which splintered into a branch the moment Nero went to the past. In the Tng Universe Kirk's dad lived to a good age. In the JJ universe he died young by Nero. In the STO/TNG universe we still have Vulcan (in JJ trek it was destroyed). If they were the same universe, in a liner time model Vulcan would be gone by STO/TNG era.

In sto you would have to go back to when nero/spock entered the blackhole and follow them in, to be in the JJ universe, Then find a way back!

IMO we should just keep JJ out of it for now. But knowing PW they will sell any thing people will buy as soon as they start reaching for new ship designs they just might do it.
    edited March 2013
    Nope, (Temporal mechanics is a headache) it is a different timeline.

JJtrek does in NO way relate to TNG trek, JJtrek did not "rewrite TNG history" It is a complete and seperate universe, which splintered into a branch the moment Nero went to the past. In the Tng Universe Kirk's dad lived to a good age. In the JJ universe he died young by Nero. In the STO/TNG universe we still have Vulcan (in JJ trek it was destroyed). If they were the same universe, in a liner time model Vulcan would be gone by STO/TNG era.

In sto you would have to go back to when nero/spock entered the blackhole and follow them in, to be in the JJ universe, Then find a way back!

IMO we should just keep JJ out of it for now. But knowing PW they will sell any thing people will buy as soon as they start reaching for new ship designs they just might do it.

Heh... yeah, I just thought about it, and you are indeed correct, this is not the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe. But it is still a universe based on the events that unfolded that preceded the events of that Star Trek. However, I still don't really see an issue to having that ship in the STO universe... other than the fact that the Connie should only be 400m long, not 750 XD.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't understand all the hate for the JJ Trek. I personally love the new Star Trek more than the old. First off, before the JJ Trek, I rarely watched Star Trek, maybe a little when my dad would (He's a huge Trekkie), but after watching the 2009 Star Trek, I fell in love with it all. I like the older movies and such, but I still like the newer one. And to all the people complaining about it being non canon or atrocious, please think about what you are saying and look at the current year.

Its 2013, people like CGI and realism in films. And with the JJ Trek being set in an alternate timeline, they can do whatever than want. I am almost willing to bet if a Star Trek EXACTLY like the old one was released, full of all the slow space combat scenes and quietness, no one would like it. Now i'm not saying the older Treks are bad, but things have to change after awhile, they need to update and improve.

Now I would DEFINITELY like a Tier 5 JJ Enterprise given to us. I would buy that in a heart beat and laugh at all the people raging over it. The argument of realism and STO is so sad, its not even funny. When we have people in Alien ships and a war against the Borg that has made 0 progress, the last thing I would be complaining about is allowing the JJ Enterprise or old Connie in the game.

then your not a real Star Trek fan, anyone who only likes JJ Trek has no bussiness associating with real Trekkers and Trekkies. We don't recogize your existance hince forth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    spork87 wrote: »
    then your not a real Star Trek fan, anyone who only likes JJ Trek has no bussiness associating with real Trekkers and Trekkies. We don't recogize your existance hince forth.

That's very bodl talk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013

A "real" Star Trek fan would respect IDIC.

Different people have different tastes, and I think most fans of the Abrams movie like prime Trek as well.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    That's kinda why you don't get all the hate... because you're not as big a fan of Star Trek as many of us are ;)

Please. Speak. For. Yourself.

I have been an avid fan since 1967, having watched first run episodes on a B&W television. I went to many of the early conventions. I have read all of the books until 1996.

I ran booths at conventions, organized signings and produced the early knock-off communicator pins for sale at those events. Even published a few starship designs in grey-market books.

For a long time, there was only ONE enterprise, and ONE captain. NG changed that for me, opening up new doors and new fans. And Shatner became a better actor and for me is forever 'Denny Crane'.

DS9 was near brilliant. Voyager scraped the bottom of the barrel (I can't even rewatch it). Enterprise was a neat idea, but it took it until it's final season to get it's pacing right.

JJ's Universe, and it is a separate Universe, in my opinion breathed life back into the franchise. And you know what? I LOVED IT, lens flares and all.

And I am not the only one who thinks so. $385 million worldwide sales. More than DOUBLE ANY PREVIOUS ENTRY. It did so well, that Disney snagged JJ for *gasp* a new Star Wars,

New Fans. New Markets. New hope for the future.

My Two Bits.

Admiral Thrax
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013

newsflash: trekkies don't rule the world, so no one gives a rat's TRIBBLE about your narrow-mindedness, which i would like to point out is very untrek-like

have a nice day
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2013
    To many Star Wars fans need picking on! we have enough nerd battles to rage about without turning on each other =)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To many Star Wars fans need picking on! we have enough nerd battles to rage about without turning on each other =)

*ahem* i am a star wars fan, in addition to being a star trek fan...so watch what you say, or i'll drop a death star on you :P
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2013
    *ahem* i am a star wars fan, in addition to being a star trek fan...so watch what you say, or i'll drop a death star on you :P

sure go right ahead the laser won't even scratch our shields
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013

O.o
    I am too =p but I try not to let it show too much! Trek is my first love.
    I can't believe the US DoD turned down the petition to build a Death Star! we really need one of those! un-freeking believable! I wonder if it comes in Red?

Cheers
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't believe the US DoD turned down the petition to build a Death Star! we really need one of those! un-freeking believable! I wonder if it comes in Red?

Cheers

Would you be willing to settle for an Enterprise?

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

:cool:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited March 2013
    Would you be willing to settle for an Enterprise?

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

:cool:

That website

It needs some sprucing up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Being narrow-minded disrespects everything about Star Trek, it's fans and yourself ftw ;)

The moment you begin to claim who the 'real' fans are, excluding people based on their opinions simply being different, you automatically exclude yourself from being one. Same as admiralq1732 as done, whether he realizes it or not
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am always weary of someone making claims about what a true Star Trek fan is?
    As many people have said The Next Generation wasn't truly accepted until Season 2-3...and they said the same things
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sure go right ahead the laser won't even scratch our shields

What shields? Your ship contains nothing but red shirts! :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I am always weary of someone making claims about what a true Star Trek fan is?
    As many people have said The Next Generation wasn't truly accepted until Season 2-3...and they said the same things

compared to JJ Trek Voyager and Enterprise are gold pressed latnium. Lets be honest for one second here. JJ made a Sci-Fi movie for the masses, he disreguarded 40+ years of Star Trek to do it. He has no love of Star Trek, he originally wanted to do just a reboot, the studio made him do it this way, and he wasn't happy. He stated more than once this isn't a Star Trek movie for the fans, and we should just stay home. Gene Roddenberry's vision was torn assunder when he made Kirk a whiny little punk, spock an emotional trainwreck, Uhura a TRIBBLE. He did't stay true to anything and to make matters worse, he ignored when people where born. Checkov has no place on that ship, he would be a TRIBBLE in 2253 still. As a Matter of fact in 2267 Checkov was 19, so he also throws continuity out the window. As far as this being an alternate realaity where Star Trek laws don't apply, they sure applied 100 years prior in 2151 with Archer, and would have right until 2232 when the Kelvin was destroyed.

Face it JJ had no bussiness making this movie, he has no love of the franchise, and he hates the fans. The fact is without us the fans he would never have been given this chance. It was the fans in the 60's and 70's who made it possible to have the first movie, and then TNG. It was the fans that came around later that continued to suppport Star Trek and watch all of it, buy the merchandise, and generally just be there for our show. This movie has no respect for the commitment of the fans and is nothing but a greedy attempt to make money while ignoring the people who made it possible. Star Trek died in 2008.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Face it JJ had no bussiness making this movie, he has no love of the franchise, and he hates the fans. The fact is without us the fans he would never have been given this chance. It was the fans in the 60's and 70's who made it possible to have the first movie, and then TNG. It was the fans that came around later that continued to suppport Star Trek and watch all of it, buy the merchandise, and generally just be there for our show. This movie has no respect for the commitment of the fans and is nothing but a greedy attempt to make money while ignoring the people who made it possible. Star Trek died in 2008.

You can also blame the fans that didn't flock to see the steaming pile that was Nemesis (and the fans that didn't watch Enterprise) for nearly killing the Star Trek franchise, by the way.

There was no "commitment of the fans" there. The old handlers of the IP -- Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, and even Brent Spiner -- just took a dump right on fans' faces towards the end, and fans knew it, so they stopped watching.

If Star Trek died anytime, it was in 2005, not 2008 (the movie came out in 2009 by the way). All JJ Abrams did was bring it back in a different direction, and now you're angry because suddenly a lot more people that you don't know are squatting in your secret club house.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Not sure if anyone said this and don't care to look, but Cryptic doesn't have rights to anything made by Paramount, only CBS. So... unless they lay out a lot of dough, no JJ, and nothing from the TNG or TOS era movies. Basically no movie stuff... so the whole thread is a giant waste of time.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    compared to JJ Trek Voyager and Enterprise are gold pressed latnium.

Remember the episode where Tom Paris and Janeway turned into amphibious creatures and mated?

You probably forgot about that when comparing the new Star Trek to Voyager. That's ok. Captain Braxton will be along shortly in his timeship to remind you.
    Lets be honest for one second here. JJ made a Sci-Fi movie for the masses, he disreguarded 40+ years of Star Trek to do it. He has no love of Star Trek, he originally wanted to do just a reboot, the studio made him do it this way, and he wasn't happy.

None of that is true. He didn't disregard 40 years of Star Trek. He was hired to make a new movie involving a young Kirk and Spock. He was happy to do it.
    He stated more than once this isn't a Star Trek movie for the fans, and we should just stay home.

He wanted to avoid nerd rage. He made the right call.
    Gene Roddenberry's vision was torn assunder when

Deep Space 9 introduced a battleship and threw the station into the forefront of a war. That happened long before this movie was ever conceived.
    Uhura a TRIBBLE.

In what way was she what you just called her? She rebuffed advances from Kirk. Multiple times. Her heart belonged to the same individual throughout the film. She doesn't do anything gratuitous. She tries to offer emotional support to that person when he sees his homeworld destroyed and his mother die. Please clarify how she did anything to earn that name you just called her. Or is it simply that you dislike the skirts
    This movie has no respect for the commitment of the fans and is nothing but a greedy attempt to make money while ignoring the people who made it possible.

Considering you just called Uhura a TRIBBLE, I think we can just call it even right now as you don't seem to have much respect for Star Trek yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Not sure if anyone said this and don't care to look, but Cryptic doesn't have rights to anything made by Paramount, only CBS. So... unless they lay out a lot of dough, no JJ, and nothing from the TNG or TOS era movies. Basically no movie stuff... so the whole thread is a giant waste of time.

You are half right. The TNG and TOS era movies have assets in-game -- the Sovereign-class, the Scimitar, the Mogai escorts, Scorpion fighters, etc. Not to mention all of the TOS movie stuff that was in both the shows and the movies.

It's really only the stuff from the new movies that are in any way prohibited (excluding other games and books, of course).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Remember the episode where Tom Paris and Janeway turned into amphibious creatures and mated?

You probably forgot about that when comparing the new Star Trek to Voyager. That's ok. Captain Braxton will be along shortly in his timeship to remind you.

None of that is true. He didn't disregard 40 years of Star Trek. He was hired to make a new movie involving a young Kirk and Spock. He was happy to do it.

He wanted to avoid nerd rage. He made the right call.

Deep Space 9 introduced a battleship and threw the station into the forefront of a war. That happened long before this movie was ever conceived.

In what way was she what you just called her? She rebuffed advances from Kirk. Multiple times. Her heart belonged to the same individual throughout the film. She doesn't do anything gratuitous. She tries to offer emotional support to that person when he sees his homeworld destroyed and his mother die. Please clarify how she did anything to earn that name you just called her. Or is it simply that you dislike the skirts

Considering you just called Uhura a TRIBBLE, I think we can just call it even right now as you don't seem to have much respect for Star Trek yourself.

Dude your just wrong. A friend in the UK found JJ Wreck toys in the BARGAIN BIN. Where as people collect the TOS toys when they can. GAME SET MATCH, oh and for the warp ten episode. every trek series had bad episodes and the producers for Voyager admit that was a bad one and would scrap it if they could.
    edited March 2013
    Dude your just wrong. A friend in the UK found JJ Wreck toys in the BARGAIN BIN. Where as people collect the TOS toys when they can. GAME SET MATCH, oh and for the warp ten episode. every trek series had bad episodes and the producers for Voyager admit that was a bad one and would scrap it if they could.

Star Trek Nemesis box office: $67,312,826
    Star Trek (2009) box office: $385,494,555

game set match hurf durf urf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dude your just wrong.

1- It's canon.
    2- It's popular.
    3- It's coming back. In May.
    4- Even if you scream Khaaaaaaan! Six times a day, Benedict Cumberbatch is still going to take the role into new frontiers.
    5- Zachary Quinto is awesome.
    6- Karl Urban is just as awesome.
    7- Zoey Saldana kicks butt.
    8- Bruce Greenwood as Pike. Again. It doesn't get cooler than that.
    9- Cumberbatch is the best Holmes on TV right now. And really you don't get a better villain than the guy playing Sauron in the new Hobbit series. You shouldn't sleep on Into Darkness.
    10- It's canon whether you like it or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ONE friend found JJ toys in ONE bargain bin in the UK?

Yeah, that really speaks for every single person's opinion on the planet :rolleyes:

Face it dude: you're grasping at straws to deny and make yourself delusional regarding JJ Trek. And destroying all credibility and logic you may have had
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited March 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    ONE friend found JJ toys in ONE bargain bin in the UK?

Yeah, that really speaks for every single person's opinion on the planet :rolleyes:

Face it dude: you're grasping at straws to deny and make yourself delusional regarding JJ Trek. And destroying all credibility and logic you may have had

I honestly suspect that he's just some bored kid who doesn't quite understand how trolling works, since we're all just kind of laughing at him.

Call me an optimist, but I just refuse to believe anyone actually thinks the way he talks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise was quite popular in the UK...Maybe because not every episode had a happy ending? Go through 2 world wars, numerous penalty shoot outs and losing a plethora of sporting acheivements and you soon get used to it...

And I doubt the JJ Enterprise will be on STO... that one is owned by JJ himself, the rest is by CBS? HBO? Some other company... I think the contract is STO can use any ship in any of the TV Series but must not use anything to do with the JJ Abrams franchise... I wonder if the new film will impact on STO at all...