test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space texture flicker in some instances

124»

Comments

• drailhdrailh Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just poping to warn the issue seems to be getting worse since recent patchs.
    Same issue on both comps (Radeon 4870 & 7870).
    Still awaiting a patch.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This was an issue that was previously fixed... and now they have broken it again with a new patch.

Awesome job!

Intel Core i7 3.2GHz
    nVidia 570 Gtx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • muzzballmuzzball Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to quickly point out that the nebulae issue is still persisting...

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3GHz)
    8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX 570
  • connectamabobconnectamabob Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I get this too, on a lot of system maps. Looks a lot like texture z-fighting. Always cloud/nebula textures, never stars. Been happening for as long as I've been in the game (about 10 months or so), sometimes more often, sometimes less, but always present to some degree. As far as I can tell, it has never been fixed then re-broken, it's just always been broken.

Windows Vista SP2 64-bit
    Intel Pentium E2180
    8GB DDR2
    AMD Radeon HD 6870
  • hizenburghizenburg Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Reporting the texture flicker issue in sector space, mostly flickering nebula,

Any hints on what is causing the graphic issue,

so I can determine the best ati settings to minimize this problem.

cpu: Intel e8400
    ram: 8gb
    Video:radeon 7950 and tested on my old card (nvidia 8800 gt sli)
    Chipset: Nvidia 760
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i think its important which driver version is in use, too.

i use nvidia 306.97 with a geforce gtx 675m, intel i7-3720qm and 16gb ram on windows 7 64bit
    What ? Calaway.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok, by taking a look at the screenshots, I've determined that I have NOT had this issue (despite claiming to have had it). Was thinking about the wrong issue in my last post.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • vincewulffvincewulff Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have this issue as well.

I notice it most often during certain Borg encounters.
    Area's of the space background will be flickering, just like described above, looking like multiple textures are fighting for the same space.

I've noticed this on multiple maps, it happens consistently when it does happen, like it is always the same maps or space backgrounds that it happens to.
    I've seen it on different missions, and most recently when exploring a random system in the Khazan Cluster.

I had noticed this awhile back, and have since then updated my drivers many times, and have tried a multitude of different graphical settings; I'm even on an entirely new PC with the same issue.

I have noticed when controlling the camera while looking at this texture issue, adjusting the camera so the nebula is as far to the side of the camera, makes it look normal as if it were fixed, but looking directly straight-on at it ruins it again.

The only thing that I can think of that changes during this might be the distance from the 'backdrop' since because of the fish eye affect of field of view, the nebula would be further from the camera when looking straight on at it, then when adjusting it to be at the edge of your camera. I hope that makes sense.

Specs:
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Intel Core i5-2500K @3.3 Ghz Quad
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    8GB DDR3 RAM
  • grungepunk5kgrungepunk5k Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    2013 and I'm still getting the flicker. It may not break the game Cryptic but it sure as heck ruins the experience as far as immersion goes. :/ This has been happening for 2 years. How have you not fixed it yet? o.O'
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    2013 and I'm still getting the flicker. It may not break the game Cryptic but it sure as heck ruins the experience as far as immersion goes. :/ This has been happening for 2 years. How have you not fixed it yet? o.O'

16 tickets over two years. Was told it's not noticeable. Real reason is they don't give a darn about the early stuff they want you to breeze through it and become productive grinders.

This along with certain other glitches make the early missions nigh unplayable. I haven't gone through the plot again in over a year... just specific episodes for gear. I level new toons with the DOFF system.
  • jayorzjayorz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have the same issue. It cropped up occasionally in a small way on my old system, never bothered me too much. Got a new computer with a GTX 670 and it's just horrendous - completely wrecks the atmosphere and I have no idea how to correct it.

It appears to occur where two different nebula background textures meet and overlap.
  • wildleeroywildleeroy Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jayorz wrote: »
    I have the same issue. It cropped up occasionally in a small way on my old system, never bothered me too much. Got a new computer with a GTX 670 and it's just horrendous - completely wrecks the atmosphere and I have no idea how to correct it.

It appears to occur where two different nebula background textures meet and overlap.

Using a 670 as well with latest nvidia drivers and have this same issue. I'm guessing they probably don't know how to fix it without creating tons more work.
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too am experiencing this issue. I just got a new gaming rig and went from a Sapphire 4890 to a XFX 7950.... and it's still doing it. This bug has been long overdue to get a fix..... it really destroys game immersion when you got graphical tears and flickering in nebulas / stars etc.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glad I'm not the only one. I tried a host of fixes both with my computer and game settings and it still happens. Shame on Cryptic for not fixing this as it really does hurt an otherwise attractive game.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been an issue for at least three seasons, they refuse to admit there is a problem let alone fix it.

Perfect example of "it doesn't fit in a lockbox syndrome."
  • omfg4202omfg4202 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This happens with my GTX 680 all the time. Faces flicker, especially when I use right mouse to orbit the camera. In character customization, the skin textures specially, flicker to black and sometimes stick that way until I wave the mouse pointer over the menu choices. Presumably this is related to space and other textures flickering in Star Trek Online. I only have this problem in STO.
    KIRK:That which you call Ee'd Plebnista was not written for the chiefs or the kings or the warriors or the rich and powerful, but for all the people! These words were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone or they mean nothing! Do you understand?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Random thoughts on necroposting...

Search is your friend. Except when it's not...

That ragepost suddenly sounds familiar...

"Archived Post" used to know what he was talking about...

Picard would like to congratulate you for unearthing such a fine relic...

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies or has been inactive for over 30 days before someone replied to it just report it and avoid posting in it.

Please bear in mind that re-posting in "necro'd" threads is considered a form of spamming.

Note that you're more than welcome to post in an existing active topic or to start a new thread on the topic if there are no active topics already.

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.