test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Gateway: Bugs and Technical Issue

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
This is the Star Trek Online Gateway bugs and technical issues thread! Please post any bugs, error messages, or compatibility issues here!

What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

Feedback

Star Trek Online Gateway is in early Beta, and we look forward to hearing what you think about it. Let us know what you're thinking by posting to this forum thread.

If you have technical issues or experience any bugs such as problems using Gateway with your web browser or device, please let us know by commenting below in this forum thread. Please let us know what operating system and browser (including version numbers) you are using. If you are using a mobile device, let us know which one.

Also, take a glance at the Known Issues below for a list of things we already know about.

Browser Requirements

• Gateway is tailored to work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices supporting HTML5.
  • Gateway has been verified to operate on recent versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It may work on earlier versions of these browsers.
  • Gateway requires the use of cookies.
  • Gateway requires the use of Javascript.

Login Issues

You must log in to a Perfect World account to use Gateway. If you don't have one, you will have to create one first. If you have a Cryptic account, but not a Perfect World account, you will need to create a Perfect World account and link it to your Cryptic account before using Gateway.

Click here to create a new account or link an existing account.

Click here for more information on account linking.

Cookie Usage

• A cookie is used to keep track of your session while you using Gateway. This is a "session cookie" and is not kept after you leave the page.
  • A second, persistent cookie is also used by Account Guard to determine if the particular browser install is authorized for use with your account. This cookie contains no account information.

Known Issues

• The list of characters is not updated after login. If you create a new character (or delete one), you must log out and back in to see the changes.
  • Pictures of bridge officers do not show the officer in their chosen stance.
  • Though Gateway uses the language preferred by your browser, there is some text that is not yet translated. Gateway supports the same languages Star Trek Online does: English, German, and French.
  • When used in IE8, Gateway is a fixed size and does not resize to fit in the window.
  • Kindle Fire: Using the back button disconnects the user from Gateway and leaves the browser in a confused state. A workaround is to use the naviagtion buttons in Gateway and avoid using the back button.
  • If you are disconnected, you will get a message regarding a "one-time code" rather than a proper disconnection message.
  • The mobile version of the fleet pages has an "Edit" button which does not belong.
  • Sound effects are not working properly.
  • On mobile, if you have no characters, the page will be blank when you log in (rather than saying you have no characters).
  • If you have no characters, you can't look at anyone else's characters.
  • Older Android browsers (vers 2.x, for example) are not supported by Gateway at this time.
  • Traits are not being displayed.
  • iPhone Problems with Account Guarded accounts:
    We have confirmed what the problem is for many iPhone users who get stuck in an Account Guard. When you try to log in to Gateway, you are requested for a code that is sent via email. When you switch from the Gateway page to read the email on the iPhone, the iPhone basically shuts down Safari and it looks to us like you've closed your session. We then invalidate your session and account guard code. Then when you switch back to Gateway, we start a new session.

A workaround is to use a different device to read your email and get the code.

We are working on a solution to this problem.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    As we've updated the known issues and some information in the OP, please now use this thread to continue posting about any bugs of technical difficulties with the Gateway. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    nxnovacatnxnovacat Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is a lack of In-game mail support, we need to be able to use the mail function on the gateway. If your In-game mail is overstuffed it crashes the game client if your computer doesn't have enough processing power.
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Order of BOFF abilities is still swizzled: Lt Cmdr, Lt, Ens, Cmdr.

Klingon fleets show blue Federation background
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not sure if that's part of your known issues that sound effects don't work properly. Fact is, they don't play at all. There were sound effects yesterday, now there are none playing. (Yes, rechecked I don't have sounds disabled in any way. And using Firefox 18.0.2.)

Then all ships still show the same 10k hull.

On the bright side: My captains finally have some gear on them. Was strange they weren't showing equipment boffs were.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    xrianturnskullxxrianturnskullx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm unable to select bridge officers upon switching ships. Sometimes it helps if I beam down to ESD, but most of the time it doesn't. At the moment, I've only been able to put all but my Engineering bridge officers on their stations of my Sovereign. But clicking the name of my Engineering officer in the drop down menu only makes the drop down menu disappear, nothing more.
  • Options
    afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am getting a Loading Timeout Error in Internet Explorer 9 but Google Chrome Portable works fine, any insight into why?
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    afree100 wrote: »
    I am getting a Loading Timeout Error in Internet Explorer 9 but Google Chrome Portable works fine, any insight into why?

Timeout on Firefox, Chrome works fine (on a PC).
  • Options
    crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Timeout on Firefox, Chrome works fine (on a PC).

If you get a timeout, go back to character select and select the same character, does it time out again?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    For me in IE9 it timesout a few seconds after entering log in details.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    If you get a timeout, go back to character select and select the same character, does it time out again?

I'm no longer at work, so I can't reproduce, but it timed out every time on my main character.

Edit: per my earlier post, on Firefox only, not on Chrome.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For some reason it's gone back to asking me for a one time code any time I try and sign on. Rubbish.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    For some reason it's gone back to asking me for a one time code any time I try and sign on. Rubbish.

What browser are you using, and do you have cookies turned on?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I use the current version of Firefox, and yes.

I had this issue before but then it just... went away. I assumed it had something to do with my internet at home being a wireless setup. But it was fine for the last few weeks the 4 or 5 times I checked this out. Now it's doing it again. It will probably fix itself again!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I use the current version of Firefox, and yes.

I had this issue before but then it just... went away. I assumed it had something to do with my internet at home being a wireless setup. But it was fine for the last few weeks the 4 or 5 times I checked this out. Now it's doing it again. It will probably fix itself again!

The previous problem was very likely because your IP address changed with the wireless setup. However, we removed the dependency on IP address or anything like that which (should have) fixed the problem. We do use a cookie in your browser, so switching browsers, clearing browsing information, and things of that nature will require a new Account Guard code. But otherwise, it should be good.

I will look into it further.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Now I'm wondering if maybe it's my AVG Antivirus setup then, cleansing the tracking cookie because it's identifying it as harmful when it isn't (as does happen). Come to think of it this did start again after the recent large update it had.

That could likely be it. I will keep an eye on scan results and see if I can set it up to ignore that particular cookie. But if that is what is happening I'm not sure how to peg the right one as it lists coookies with very descriptive names like "ACDH2B0.txt" that doesn't tell me much.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Now I'm wondering if maybe it's my AVG Antivirus setup then, cleansing the tracking cookie because it's identifying it as harmful when it isn't (as does happen). Come to think of it this did start again after the recent large update it had.

Perhaps you can tell AVG to allow cookies *.startrekonline.com. Account stuff is at the domain auth.startrekonline.com and the application is gateway.startrekonline.com. Both have cookies.
  • Options
    apecheese42apecheese42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just bought a new ship. Retrained a few officers but cannot slot bridge officers even after moving to a new map. Logging in and out again or beaming down to a new location.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You have Encountered an Error
    Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you are trying to reach could not be found.

Click here to go to Character Select
    I'm using Windows Vista with Firefox 18.0.2 and got this message over the weekend when visiting the login page. The link did take me to my list of Captain's.

EDIT:

Something else that I keep forgeting to report regards switching from Fed Captains to a KDF Captain the first time. The UI drops for about 10 seconds. Gateway text - gray on black - collects to the left of screen. Then the proper, red UI pops into place and everything if fine. Switching back and forth is smooth going forward. Only happens the very first time a KDF Captain is selected. This has actually been the case for me since Tribble.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    I'm using Windows Vista with Firefox 18.0.2 and got this message over the weekend when visiting the login page. The link did take me to my list of Captain's.
    We reorganized some of the URLs in Gateway, so as long as this problem does not persist I think it's expected.
    psiameese wrote: »
    Something else that I keep forgeting to report regards switching from Fed Captains to a KDF Captain the first time. The UI drops for about 10 seconds. Gateway text - gray on black - collects to the left of screen. Then the proper, red UI pops into place and everything if fine. Switching back and forth is smooth going forward. Only happens the very first time a KDF Captain is selected. This has actually been the case for me since Tribble.
    Hmmm. We haven't seen that ourselves, but it sounds like the initial load of the Klingon assets (pictures and so on) is slow for you. Once they load up, it redraws correctly. We'll take a look at that; I wouldn't expect then to load slowly.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We reorganized some of the URLs in Gateway, so as long as this problem does not persist I think it's expected.

Hmmm. We haven't seen that ourselves, but it sounds like the initial load of the Klingon assets (pictures and so on) is slow for you. Once they load up, it redraws correctly. We'll take a look at that; I wouldn't expect then to load slowly.

I just tried it myself - the same thing happened. It was only for a split second, but other than the length it was exactly as psiameese described.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Any fixes/workarounds for a "loading timeout" error with Windows7/IE9?

After entering my log-in info, it says it is loading for a bit, then gives a loading timeout error.
    If I click the link on the page, nothing happens.
    If I refresh the page like it suggests, I get an "Incorrect one-time code" message.
    If I hit the back button, I can see the account guard page, but it is greyed out with the "Incorrect one-time code" message.

Clicking close on the incorrect code message kicks me back to the log-in rather then the account guard page. I tried turning off/down all the security options in IE I could find with no luck. I hope that once I get past this account guard thing the rest of the page will work but I have run out of ideas on how to do that.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    Any fixes/workarounds for a "loading timeout" error with Windows7/IE9?

After entering my log-in info, it says it is loading for a bit, then gives a loading timeout error.
    If I click the link on the page, nothing happens.
    If I refresh the page like it suggests, I get an "Incorrect one-time code" message.
    If I hit the back button, I can see the account guard page, but it is greyed out with the "Incorrect one-time code" message.

Clicking close on the incorrect code message kicks me back to the log-in rather then the account guard page. I tried turning off/down all the security options in IE I could find with no luck. I hope that once I get past this account guard thing the rest of the page will work but I have run out of ideas on how to do that.

We're looking into this problem. It's not browser specific as far as we can tell, it has something to do with how long it takes to get your character list back from the server. I would have expected a refresh to work (just click through the known-bug-it-shouldn't-be-there-one-time code dialog box), but we are investigating as that doesn't seem to be the case for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    This is a double post see below
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We're looking into this problem. It's not browser specific as far as we can tell, it has something to do with how long it takes to get your character list back from the server. I would have expected a refresh to work (just click through the known-bug-it-shouldn't-be-there-one-time code dialog box), but we are investigating as that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

This is the same problem I am having, it is to do with the actual game servers like you said (IE9 F12 Developer Tools shows that (at least before the fix which seems to limit the amount of time to load because it was taking about 5mins (or at least a few minutes) to get all the data from the actual STO servers (then about a minute after I logged on it disconnected me))) but in google chrome (I use the portable version) it takes a few seconds to fully load so I think it is browser specific aswell.

Edit: Sorry Double post
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the reply, it does work on my back-up computer with Chrome/WinXP if it helps.
  • Options
    bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The First and Third ship powers are always swapped around, so that Ensign powers are third in the line.

KDF Offciers all have the Blue Sci Officers badge, even when they're Tactical or Engineering.

Using "Firefox Beta" Aurora 20.2a on Windows 7 64-bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Using the default internet browser on my Samsung galaxy note 10.1 isn't as cool as it should be. It seems very sluggish and unresponsive. Additionally, I can't swipe through the BO lists - I have to press the arrows. The BOs also resize in odd ways when I turn the tablet to portrait mode, because it always has to have 4 displayed for some reason. In landscape, the BOportraits very nicely resize to squares, but in portrait mode their pictures become very long and skinny.

I don't know if you're even trying to make the gateway optimized for touch screens or tablets, but given that they were basically inspired by Star Trek and people with tabets who are also Star Trek fans are going to feel very much like they're living the shows in real life, it seems to me that touch screen and ablet optimization should be a priority.
  • Options
    alien564alien564 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is probably not the correct place to post this, but I can only 'reply'.

There seems to be a long standing issue with people not being able to get past the CRYPTIC loading page, the progress bar moves like 1/4 inch before just exiting and popping up the crypticerror reporter. All attempts to turn off firewallls, virus scanners, use admin rights, verify the download etc. are unsuccessful.

I've found that if one has STEAM installed, that steam installs libcef.dll in the steam/bin folder. llibcef.dll is the chromiumembeddedframework, which appears to be an optional component of STO.

if steam is not installed, CEF is not found, STO works.
    if steam is installled, STO tries loading CEF, that fails, and the get the above symptoms.

simply copying the libcef from STEAM\BIN into the STAR TREK ONLINE\LIVE folder makes STO work, because now it can load it from its current directory (ie. where the game client resides).

live long and prosper
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Filtering Fleet logs resets after 2-3 seconds, so it's useless
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1. Fleet logs/News are missing information -> my fleet lost 2 members on the roster but there is absolutely no log about somebody leaving -> this appears to be an ingame issue aswell (this happens quiet alot)
    2. browsing and filtering logs is quiet impossible as every 1-2 seconds the page seems to reload and displays the first of the log pages without any filtered search term (this makes browsing the logs almost impossible)
    3. fleet roster is not sorted by default
    4. fleet roster reloads every few seconds so when you are trying to browse through the pages you constantly get thrown back to page 1; same applies to the filter/search option (if you have a fleet with hundreds of members the use of the roster is absolutely impossible)
    5. the member comments tab of the fleet roster often gets pushed outside the screen resolution as the other table colums get bigger for no reason
    6. it would be nice to have an option to display the fleet roster via php include or xml on the fleet website without the need that ppl have to log into the gateway. (afterall you ask for the fleet website on the fleets profile so such an option should be given to the fleets -> especially since it is totally painful job to synchronize the ingame roster manually with a fleet website, especially when the fleet logs are not reliable so you do not notice when your members recruited somebody or when somebody left)
    7. your ships information (crew, hull etc.) is very often incorrect
    8. Hargh'peng torp launcher (or whatever it is called) does not seem to have an icon
    9. there should be an option for fleets to disallow that ppl can view fleet members profiles -> so far it is only possible to disable the entire fleet display ingame (not very useful on the gateway)
    10. whats with the shuttle? Where to see that?
    11. it would be cool if the times on the logs can be displayed in regular form - not only in stardates
    12. "The resource you requested wasn't received in a reasonable time. You can refresh the page and try again." -> this happens very often, no matter on which computer and location i try to access the gateway, also the choice of browser does not seem to play a big role
    13. instead of showing the correct officer station lvls all of them are displayed -> inactive ones should be greyed out

While the gateway is a nice idea it is right now a totally useless feature in my eyes as you can get more detailed and more accurate information when you launch the game. Next to that does it not offer any functionality that can be useful for fleets (such as a working roster that they could use on their website). The gateway needs alot of changes before it turns into a useful tool.
This discussion has been closed.