What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - February 13, 2013

Comments

• Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can I please get a statement on my personal source of nerdrage?

See my sig or here.

The link also makes the argument why it is in the best interest of Cryptic's bottom dollar to allow the Orion deployables on the Jem HEC.
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since Cryptic would be ridiculous to not have someone monitoring this thread, I'm going to break this down easily for them.

Problem: Fleets are progressing too quickly after Foundry fleet mark repeatables are introduced.

Solution: Put fleet marks in other content. If you want me to tag epohhs for 4 hours for a reasonable amount of fleet marks, I'll tag epohhs. If you want me to afk in pvp to get fleet marks, I'll afk in pvp to get fleet marks. If you want me to do STFs for fleet marks, I'll do STFs. If you want me to afk in fleet actions, I'll afk in fleet actions.

What Is Not A Solution: Relying on the Season 6 PvE content for fleet marks, relying on that additional 10k CXP for fleet marks.

Problem: People aren't playing Foundry missions enough. The Foundry missions people do end up being farming or semi-farming missions.

Solution: Put something worthwhile in them that will make people want to do them. I didn't start doing Foundry missions until the fleet mark repeatable was introduced. If you expect me to do those missions for dilithium when I can easily get dilithium elsewhere, then I'm not going to do Foundry missions. Spotlight or otherwise.

Alternative Solution: Get over it. Players will inevitably find some way to exploit or streamline Foundry missions outside of the 'spirit' of the Foundry. You can either spend development time and labor hours trying to stop those players over the lifespan of the game, or you can geld the Foundry as a viable source of valuable currency or items and put them elsewhere. There is no honor system on the internet, stop trying to expect people to go on the honor system when it comes to your games.

Problem: The fleet mark repeatable for the Foundry is a temporary solution to gather data and see where improvements can be made elsewhere to get fleets 'right where we want them' when it comes to fleet progression.

Solution: I don't care. You don't take away a temporary solution without putting in an alternative solution at the same time. You already have the data of what happens when the only sources of fleet marks are doffing and the season 6 pve queued content. That data isn't going to change. What is happening right now is jerking around the players and the fleets.

P.S.: All the outrage in this instance is completely justified.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lanceandragon#1584 lanceandragon Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think most of the problem with the queue events is the randomness of the rewards that is given. You can spend 20 minutes to get in to 40 minute long Star base fleet defense and only come out with only getting 17 marks for the time. There needs to be more incentive to do to the fleet events either in increase in the amount of marks they give or reduction in cool down timers for the events.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    You're happy now but you're going to cry in a few days because people will start to farm long story missions with a long average playtime to get max rewards with the minimum investment in time, skipping all dialogs and stuff like that.

To get a fair reward for everyone you'll have to devote at least half of your mission to combat, because it can't be skipped. Now diplomacy missions are dead. :)

Somehow I doubt that folks will farm dilithium with as much of a passion. There are so many quick ways to get it that zooming through a diplomacy mission is more time consuming than walking to exchange, buying contraband and turning it for 2000 dilithium. Or going to SFA and taking a quiz that google answers.

You could be right though. Two of my missions could really suffer, to the point that those who read them don't get rewarded properly and those that "f" through them get bonus rewards.

However, I have a plan if that does happen. It's not too hard to put up an invisible wall that comes down based on a timer mechanic. If somebody "f"s through my diplomacy missions, I'll just make them waiting for 4 minutes before they can get to the door to transition to a different map. Players who take time to read, won't notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's the problem I see with limiting Fleet Marks to Fleet-only missions, especially the KDF faction.

We have players for the KDF, but not enough to fire off a PvE queue.

"Well, the public will fill in the rest."

That's the problem...the overall population on the KDF is too low to ensure PvE queues will pop off.

As far as we are into our 'base (Tier IV, working on Comms Array upgrade), we'll have to keep 5 players running constantly for FM.

Cryptic, forcing people onto certain grinds almost permanently is not the way to keep players. They will leave because it's the only thing to do.

No variety = no fun.

Leave the FMs in Foundry, perhaps at a limited amount like 10-15 per mission and perhaps let the FM amount scale to number of team members (10-15 for 1 player, 25-30 per player for 2 team members, 30-35 for 3, 45-50 for 4, 50-60 for 5 as an example). Or increase the amount of FMs we can get for the Starbase/Embassy dailies (again, to scale with team size).

But forcing people into the PvE queues and forcing KDF players to grind almost exclusively for fleet marks will be bad for everyone involved. I wouldn't be surprised to see the KDF diminish in numbers even further because of this (though I hope not).
  • Options
    tiggychantiggychan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dont understand the concept of constant nerfs to the foundry rewards to keep them unappealing. Yes, foundry is meant to be an experience with player made content, but overall an MMORPG is a grindfest regardless of how the game is built. Constant changing of the reward to a narrow-minded structure so the Devs can feel content is a big no-no.
    What's wrong with rewarding fleet marks? This doesn't make the missions and "experience" unique, rather bland and boring, as every little thing has to be done specifically.
    If thats the case, remove the choice of lockboxes in the mission reward structure.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't even be bothered so much by this if that Tholian ground adventure zone gave reasonable rewards for the time put into it by the way. I'd be quite happy to play for marks there if you were willing to give out even a semi-reasonable amount.

Hopefully that (and other methods) will be buffed severely to bring them in line with reality. I've done some of those with fleetmates before, but we quit because the time commitment vs. reward is so silly.

If it just all goes to PvP, well, that's incredibly sad. I can't think of anything less interesting in MMO's than PvP and the kind of mutants that tend to gravitate to it as a full time hobby.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    There should be a system where Fleet Marks would be award if members of the same fleet are teamed up together and playing any of the content in the game.

I support this idea, but not for the Foundry, where teaming is wonky. Maybe if they fixed the teaming issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fleet Marks should be awarded for specific fleet or group content, so they were not considered to remain in this new rewards structure.

I'm trying to locate the patch note when they were introduced, but I'm fairly certain that it mentioned they were for a limited-time or were temporary, or at least that was the intent.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

so this is the third time FM rewards are changed for foundry missions, but it is too much work and would take too much time to include FM for PvP wrapper missions.

We have been asking this since season 6 went onto tribble. Where are our FM for PvP. Its friggin group/fleet content.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic,

I have to agree with the general outcry. Removing Fleet Marks from the Foundry Daily is not cool. At the very least, make it a scaling reward as you have the XP and Dil. The existing missions that pay Fleet Marks already reward too few to make them worth playing.

Please restore this Fleet Mark source.

Failing that, then add these removed 50FM/Day to some other source. I'm not a fan of PvP, so I wouldn't vote for that (though I don't see why PvP doesn't have it's own, additional source of Fleet Marks), but I would request that they get added to some other daily or that there be a general increased to existing rewards.
    zorbane wrote: »
    You can get Fleet Marks via Commendation XP (Doffing)
    Shhhh!!!! Don't remind them this exists or they'll remove/nerf this too! :P :o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have to agree with the general outcry. Removing Fleet Marks from the Foundry Daily is not cool.

I agree, I loved the fact that I could do content that was fairly enjoyable and earn Dil and FM's, rather then having to run the same fleet events over and over again.

Removing FM's from the IOR is a huge mistake and removes a lot of the incentive people had to actually do foundry missions.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And still no fix in sight for the Tholian Red Alert problem. Or maybe there is no problem?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    cairellacairella Member Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Brandon: My feedback is as follows: We need more "grind maps." We need more challenges that reward Omega and Fleet Marks. STFs have become a rote exersise at this point including the Into the Hive and Onslaught ones. The Fleet Mark maps are dead, though I expect traffic to pick up once the dailies are shut down.

How about this: Hook the "fleet mark grind" into the random mission generator for the exploration engine. The end result may be the same (kill X number of trash mobs, flip Y number of switches) but at least the maps will be different as will the opponents. This will increase the replay value one trillion percent AND allow Cryptic to showcase it's random "world generator."

/support 10000000000000000000000%

THAT would make me content with this
  • Options
    deusemperordeusemperor Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starlanced wrote: »
    Do these changes apply to something like the temporal disruptor device, it's a fancy tricobolt, which at the moment is pretty useless due to it's CD and 'let me get out of my ship and push' speed of the torpedoes?

Seriously these need a buff of some kind I can outrun these on half impulse :S They are not even that much of a threat, and they are over nerfed making them useless in pve. Decrease its cooldown and give it a minor speed boost please!
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to have a chance to sit in on the meetings where these sorts of things are decided...

so I could laugh at all the wrong choices being made. Had you even asked what people thought of these changes before committing them to tribble you would have seen how much of a bad idea half of this stuff was.

Seriously... you guys should hire players to sit in on meetings so we can stop you from making dumb choices.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zardonfar wrote: »
    I'm with everyone else on this thread. Removing FM from Foundry "Bad Idea".

My fleet made a concentrated effort to do as many Foundry Missions in order to reach the T4 Starbase project thresholds. Either lower the damn requirements or put more rewards in other locations. Hell add them to the episodes missions, the replay value of them are TRIBBLE poor.

Increase the rewards on the Adventure Worlds. Besides doing them for a few minutes to see what is there or an accolade or two. There is no real reason for them, since the time to effort reward ratio sucks.

Add more rewards to Accolades. Beside a few handful that adds a benefit most of them don't do anything.

Add special FM doffing missions that only reward FM, just like we have one for Dil.

Add FM to crafting.

Hell you can add FM to anything and you will find people will start doing them more, because you've made the requirements so freaking high on the Starbases.

I'm going to quote this and second the motion.

Either more rewards or bring the requirements down a ton, because you're not going to get people to grind grind grind and stay long-term.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to have a chance to sit in on the meetings where these sorts of things are decided...

so I could laugh at all the wrong choices being made. Had you even asked what people thought of these changes before committing them to tribble you would have seen how much of a bad idea half of this stuff was.

Seriously... you guys should hire players to sit in on meetings so we can stop you from making dumb choices.

This wouldn't be necessary if the test server was actually a test server where ideas could actually be, you know, tested but not implemented.

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2013

They could pay me 500 Zen per conference call over VOIP they want me to attend so I could point out every bad decision and offer a viable solution.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    holyhelmetholyhelmet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would certainly like to see a new way to earn fleet marks. I just hate grinding those same missions over and over again. We are now starting level 5 star base stuff and the amount of fleet marks required is equal to a hell of a lot of grinding. Considering that the missions pay out no where near enough fleet marks even with fleet mark boosters and playing during the events.

I would like to see something like the Epohhs for the rom marks. Maybe some sort of doff missions etc.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    There are some soloers that are in fleets and the foundry change decreases their ability to gain Fleet Marks. Now there is just the 10 Fleet Marks from doing the Fleet dailies and converting Commendation XP to Fleet Marks for them. Not every fleet member groups with their fleet and like to play the game at their own pace without having to worry about other people, but they enjoy the conversions that fleet members get into and helping to build the starbase.
    zorbane wrote: »
    You can get Fleet Marks via Commendation XP (Doffing)

Already mentioned it.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Taking this away without adding back a different way of earning marks will SERIOUSLY hamper a fleet's ability to progress their base. This will be especially true for smaller fleets. Does Cryptic not want players to buy ship modules to buy their ships?

Please add something else where you can earn an equivalent amount of fleet marks. Or make the fleet action daily into a '30 minute' daily like the Foundry ones.
    arristidarristid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok so Brandon why would I be interested in the foundry at all if there are no fleet marks, being that was the only reason I did foundry missions in the first place. It is very clear that you guys are trying to make STO better but most of the things you are doing like this only TRIBBLE long time players off because we have to grind the game more in a manner that is not very fun and extremely repetative. As a whole the entire Star Trek fan comunity that plays this game wants to have fun but taking away Fleet Marks from these missions is not the thing to do if anything we need more Fleet Marks for completeing Fleet events and alot more Romulan Marks for the Romulan events as neither is really worth the time it takes to do them for the return. So in a nutshell my question is how does this make the game more fun to play as Im already a lifetime subscriber why should I continue to spend money to buy Zen for a game that is constantly changing aka nerfing its equipment that many of us already spent time and money to acquire.
    Im trying to be as constructive as I can with this because I really do enjoy playing alot of this game but some of it is just too much like the Spheres in the STFs being more powerful than Cubes that doesnt even make sense considering that they are a support craft for it. But theres one thing in all of this that comes to mind "If it isnt broke dont try to fix it" you have plenty of players already playing the game and more are coming every day this isnt a question of that to be concerned about what to think about is if we change all these things at some point its going to make the game less appealing to return players and that will start to really hurt in the wallet.
    We are all playing this game to have fun not to have more work to do in a game by having to spend hours doing resource grinds.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Add more fun, not more grind!

Fleet mark rewards for foundry missions were great. I know in my fleet we promoted teaming up for these since they're much more fun and varied than the few queue missions for fleet marks. I know this change is going to hurt my fleet's progress since very few members are going to want to queue up except during the fleet marks event, and we can't even get on at the right times for those every day.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Add more fun, not more grind!

Seriously, how hard a concept is this to understand?

• Options
    l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Branflakes --- This is a bad idea, we need more ways to get Fleet Marks, not less.

<sigh>

Our fleet has actually been exploring different foundry missions and yes, we need fleet marks but we were finding variety of missions that were fun.

It seems the motive is to slow down fleets in progression of the Starbase.......

Thx
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 2 Embassy
    http://stofleetdt.com/
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
  • Options
    cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    Then here's MY feedback;

Increase the amount of Fleet Marks rewarded elsewhere -across the board-.

Running No Win Scenario for a measly 20-30 Marks, when Fleet Projects can require several HUNDRED/THOUSAND Marks, is utter nonsense.

And while your at it, please increase the Romulan Mark rewards from the Tau Dewa Patrol / Red Alert.

Here Here!! I think they all are also extremely low as it is across the board.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another fantastic move, tribble patch wednesday, goes live thursday no matter how much TRIBBLE it is going to cause. The fix will be around in another month, you know, cause they are busy..

This is going to kill fleet progression for all but massive fleets again.

Even if the fleet event ran 24hrs a day it would take a ton of grinding for marks at t4/5. Why do we fight tier 0 enemies and get the same result as tier 4 enemies? How can the reward designed for tier 0 still fight for the requirements of tier 5? They can't.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You guys sure know how to swing that nerf bat but still dont know how to fix any bugs in game, priorities i see.. still waiting on getting the maco adapted set visuals fixed, not to mention the kdf counterparts...........

Makes sooo much sense at taking fleet marks from foundry because.. its not like fleets actually play foundry missions togeather bringing fleets togeather and enjoying the experience and getting the fleet reward added to it... nice job cryptic, love how you think \facepalm
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Feel free to leave feedback about that in here :) I'll make sure to pass it along.

Here are some suggestions:

Increase the overall number of fleet marks rewarded for group content. 27 marks for a fleet alert just isn't that much.

Base fleet mark rewards on the tier of SB. The Fleet Alerts randomly picks one of the SBs of the players to use and higher tiers can give you more difficult enemies - if a higher tier SB is chosen, you get more points per stage. A straight multiplier similar to how the requirements increase would be perfect. This would help smaller fleets when their members join a PUG that is defending a high tier fleet's SB. This would also encourage high tier fleets to do missions together to make sure they get the full marks due their starbase.

The Officer of the Watch missions should also scale with starbase/embassy tier, with higher tiers offering more difficult/time consuming missions but also much more marks as a reward. 5 marks is a joke, and I doubt many do these missions anymore. 25-50 marks per day would be enough to make it worthwhile for me to do.

Make the Fleet mark bonus time grant double or more marks. Extended the time won't really increase the amount of marks generated since the only purchasing power we have is time - the marks/hour wouldn't change. Doubling would encourage more players to spend their time earning marks vs earning other reputation or dilithium.

Also, I don't understand the comment about "Fleet marks are for group events" comment. If that's the case, then what's the reasoning behind converting CXP to fleet marks?

ProTip for everyone: Did you know you can pickup a Fleet Marks bonus pool from your Operations Officer on your SB? It grants you 20% extra fleet marks for fleet events. It costs 15k Fleet Credits, but you earn back most of it with the additional marks.