test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PARTIAL refunds on ZEN products

gong1fu1pandagong1fu1panda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I originally started the two following threads
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=533841
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=533891
before I realized that both underlying problems are the same. Sorry for not posting it in the right discussion. This post is not supposed to be a double post.

The problem is like this:

1) You cannot return ZEN products like ships, bridges, outfit etc. etc. I really hate having stuff in my inventory that I no longer use but cannot really get rid of. I want to be able to dump the old stuff in the sense that you yield the "right of ownership". I'm talking about a return policy that allows you to part from unwanted items once and for all without the possibility of reclaiming.

2) In return for terminating the "right of ownership", the player should receive a !!!PARTIAL!!! refund. By partial, I mean e.g. 10% of original ZENs or Dillithium or EC or anything. For me that is important because I don't want to have the feeling that I have spent ZEN on nothing when I throw things out of the window.

3) I do hope that Cryptic makes cash to continue the game. That's why I am proposing a PARTIAL refund. A little ZEN, Dillithium or EC would give me the motivation to part from old junk. I would buy new products that I would not consider under the current policy, because some of the new products have a tendency to replace the older ones and I do not want to make things I once bought obsolete. I think in the end Cryptic would actually cash in multiple times: I bought the first product, terminate it and get a minimal refund then buy the newer version...repeat until done.
Post edited by gong1fu1panda on

Comments

• zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So you paid for it, used and enjoyed it, and now want to return it for as much of your money back as you can? You've never worked in retail have you?
  • auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can feel your pain, but it's not going to happen. Ever. The Z-store is a shop, not a rental store.
    As for the inventory part, I'm pretty sure you can discard 99% of the Z-store ships/items and re-claim them.
  • gong1fu1pandagong1fu1panda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zulisvel wrote: »
    So you paid for it, used and enjoyed it, and now want to return it for as much of your money back as you can? You've never worked in retail have you?

No I just don't want to see the old junk anymore. I would burn my Dreadnaught for 10000 Dillithium or less. And that's really not get as MUCH money back as possible. Unfortunately, I can do neither. Besides in the real world you can sell your old car to someone else (but that is not the point here).
    edited February 2013
    auricius wrote: »
    As for the inventory part, I'm pretty sure you can discard 99% of the Z-store ships/items and re-claim them.

That is exactly what I don't want. It's like having a divorce. Sometimes you cannot really have the divorce because you are still connected to your ex through the children...
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well first you own nothing in game. Go life or sub & buy every zen product then "breaking news". Sto is shut down after 3 years of service. Tell me 2 days after shut down that you own anything in this game;). Or your a bad monkey and get kicked out of game. Tell me then how much zen products you own.

Second a real world product from Walmart... You can't return for half off after use. Now Walmart & others do have a return policy. But most don't on games that are open. Reason is its entertainment not a blender. I own a bussiness with 0 return because I'm a service. STO is like Disney World. No refunds;). Now sometimes some will give you credit for rain but not for I only want to go half a day so I want half off;)

Before you say "well let me sale that ship or uniform". No because Cryptic wants to make money. Not let you make money. Darn them! ;)
    edited February 2013
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    Well first you own nothing in game. Go life or sub & buy every zen product then "breaking news". Sto is shut down after 3 years of service. Tell me 2 days after shut down that you own anything in this game;). Or your a bad monkey and get kicked out of game. Tell me then how much zen products you own.

Second a real world product from Walmart... You can't return for half off after use. Now Walmart & others do have a return policy. But most don't on games that are open. Reason is its entertainment not a blender. I own a bussiness with 0 return because I'm a service. STO is like Disney World. No refunds;). Now sometimes some will give you credit for rain but not for I only want to go half a day so I want half off;)

Before you say "well let me sale that ship or uniform". No because Cryptic wants to make money. Not let you make money. Darn them! ;)

How many Zen products? About 30, mostly ships excluding the services and the countless master keys.

And I never asked for "half off"! Did you even read my post? If I ask 1000 or 10000 Dillithium for dumping the Dreadnaught, that's equal to 10-100 ZEN refund for a 2000-2500 ZEN ship. Afterwards I would get the Ody bundle for 5000 ZEN, which I currently would not buy because of my other cruisers. This is really not much asking.
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry thought you said half but you only said 10 percent or partial. You know I once went to a movie. Bought popcorn, drinks & m&m's. no I'm lying about the candy I snuck it in;). Well I was 15 min late for the show. Well my wife wanted to see that movie as well since she missed it with me. I went back with her. Paid same money just to see that intro I missed. Beyond that it was quite a bore to watch it again. Maybe the movie company give me only a partial refund and or credit and let me bail while the movies is in progress..

Or I have a year pass at The zoo. Been there 3x since getting it. But I'm tired of it. Maybe they can give me a percent off to turn that in early. With the extra money I can then spend it at there connecting water park! Yea that sound like something they would go go.

Again one more time you own nothing on that or any other game once the server is shutoff. I don't own Disney because I'm enjoying there park. So you have nothing to transfer over. You have a entertainment service that goes dark when the switch is turned off.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Besides in the real world you can sell your old car to someone else (but that is not the point here).

In most cases, your old car still has value to someone, since it still runs and your used car fits into someone's budget better than a brand new car.

There's no value in your ships in this game, except to you. It's a digital item; once you return that ship, it's gone.

Anyway, the point that most people are making is that Cryptic doesn't want you to get extra Zen or Dilithium for your old ships. They want you to spend that 2500 Zen on a ship, and then for that money to be theirs, forever. You have your ship, they have your money, and if you want anything else, you have to buy more Zen.

If Cryptic and PWE were to offer partial refunds in one form or another, I don't think any players would be opposed to it at all... it's just that most people are realistic in their expectations, and know that it will never happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Could Cryptic do this? Yes.

Will they do this? Well they might. They also might start paying you to drink beer and watch TV. The probability is quite low.

PWEs customer service is pretty bad and their attitude seems to be once they have your money you never get it back, even if they mess up in some way. Heck, they do not even give you receipts for your purchases.

The only way you are likely to ever get a refund is if you sue them in small claims court. And if you do not have a better case than, "I'm tired of using this thing I bought," don't bother paying the filing fees.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This reminds me of my days working for Game Stop....The horror...The horror.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry thought you said half but you only said 10 percent or partial. You know I once went to a movie. Bought popcorn, drinks & m&m's. no I'm lying about the candy I snuck it in;). Well I was 15 min late for the show. Well my wife wanted to see that movie as well since she missed it with me. I went back with her. Paid same money just to see that intro I missed. Beyond that it was quite a bore to watch it again. Maybe the movie company give me only a partial refund and or credit and let me bail while the movies is in progress..

Or I have a year pass at The zoo. Been there 3x since getting it. But I'm tired of it. Maybe they can give me a percent off to turn that in early. With the extra money I can then spend it at there connecting water park! Yea that sound like something they would go go.

Again one more time you own nothing on that or any other game once the server is shutoff. I don't own Disney because I'm enjoying there park. So you have nothing to transfer over. You have a entertainment service that goes dark when the switch is turned off.

I know I don't own anything and I really don't care who owns what. Nevertheless I think it would be good to have that minimal refund option and Cryptic would make far more money in the long run. Hell, I would even be satisfied with 100,000 EC. It's really not about the money, it's about the motivation to part from something without regret.
    edited February 2013
    No I just don't want to see the old junk anymore. I would burn my Dreadnaught for 10000 Dillithium or less. And that's really not get as MUCH money back as possible. Unfortunately, I can do neither. Besides in the real world you can sell your old car to someone else (but that is not the point here).

Yeah, but it is not a car. It is like downloading a copy of the New York Times onto your Kindle. Do you expect Amazon to give you a partial refund when you get tired of reading about what happened on January 3rd 2010?
  • azntrigboiazntrigboi Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As someone else said, it's a digital good. Not going to happen and technically it doesn't make sense to return something you don't own.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    just no

wanna test it ? tribble
    edited February 2013
    I am not trying to say I have a right to return a product or if "return" is the right word. I honestly don't care. And it's not my point to drag this thread to court.

I just think that being able to dump a ZEN item for good and getting a tiny tiny benefit in the process is beneficial for the players and Cryptic. Unless you can explain why this would be bad for players or Cryptic, I will maintain my opinion.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem is your suggestion doesn't make any business sense. It's like I buy a video card, and 1 year down the road I tire of it. The company that sold me the card isn't going to buy it back from me for me to buy a new one, they would lose money. In the grand scheme of things you're squabling over 100-200 Z-Points or $1-$2 savings. I honestly don't think $1-$2 is truly stopping you from buying the Ody set. Just discharge the ship you don't want and never pick it up again.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I originally started the two following threads
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=533841
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=533891
    before I realized that both underlying problems are the same. Sorry for not posting it in the right discussion. This post is not supposed to be a double post.

The problem is like this:

1) You cannot return ZEN products like ships, bridges, outfit etc. etc. I really hate having stuff in my inventory that I no longer use but cannot really get rid of. I want to be able to dump the old stuff in the sense that you yield the "right of ownership". I'm talking about a return policy that allows you to part from unwanted items once and for all without the possibility of reclaiming.

2) In return for terminating the "right of ownership", the player should receive a !!!PARTIAL!!! refund. By partial, I mean e.g. 10% of original ZENs or Dillithium or EC or anything. For me that is important because I don't want to have the feeling that I have spent ZEN on nothing when I throw things out of the window.

3) I do hope that Cryptic makes cash to continue the game. That's why I am proposing a PARTIAL refund. A little ZEN, Dillithium or EC would give me the motivation to part from old junk. I would buy new products that I would not consider under the current policy, because some of the new products have a tendency to replace the older ones and I do not want to make things I once bought obsolete. I think in the end Cryptic would actually cash in multiple times: I bought the first product, terminate it and get a minimal refund then buy the newer version...repeat until done.

FFS please get over yourself ...I swear the level of narcissism in these fourm boards is insane
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    edited February 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    The problem is your suggestion doesn't make any business sense. It's like I buy a video card, and 1 year down the road I tire of it. The company that sold me the card isn't going to buy it back from me for me to buy a new one, they would lose money. In the grand scheme of things you're squabling over 100-200 Z-Points or $1-$2 savings. I honestly don't think $1-$2 is truly stopping you from buying the Ody set. Just discharge the ship you don't want and never pick it up again.

Actually, companies do do this, mainly because it encourages you to spend your money buying their product combined with the fact that your old graphics card is worth a certain amount of money.

It even might make sense to a certain degree with purely digital products since getting partial "store credit" for your old products entices you to spend more money but I doubt it will make much business sense to Cryptic. For starters, the mechanics of the game make it difficult to sell back things like Character slots or c-store ships (they would, for instance, have to ensure you have none of the consoles on any of your characters).

Given the hassle and the fact that it is not clear that it would encourage more Zen sales, I doubt Cryptic would ever do it.
    edited February 2013
    I made a mistake buying that year worth of zoo pass! At the time it sounded like a great idea. We love the zoo. Bit it's 2 hours away & after 3 visits in 6 months not much is changing with that oversized bear or the stinky goats in the petting zoo. I just wish they give me something to turn that in. Even if its $20! Or let me sale that pass to someone else but I can't! Unless I find a family of 5 with our same names!'

Why won't they!! Well because they are a bussiness. They want to sale full price passes to other people. Not let me sale mine or return mine even for exchange of a hat. That is bussiness.

You know one more thing... I'm a day one player. Been a 6 month sub for... Well 3 years. I stuck around for vet rewards. My sub payment was due 2 weeks before the 1000 day and last vet reward. I paid for another 6 month to reach that 1000 day. My next payment is due March. I have no intention to pay for a sub after march because no point. I just wish they would end my sub early. I would return my 1000 day ship, the blue vet post if they would just give me something! 500 zen would be nice! Hey I am sticking around!! Ill even use more than the 500 zen refund. In the end it would be good for them because I am happy! I am sure there is also some lifers that would give it up for a little something something;)
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually, companies do do this, mainly because it encourages you to spend your money buying their product combined with the fact that your old graphics card is worth a certain amount of money.

It even might make sense to a certain degree with purely digital products since getting partial "store credit" for your old products entices you to spend more money but I doubt it will make much business sense to Cryptic. For starters, the mechanics of the game make it difficult to sell back things like Character slots or c-store ships (they would, for instance, have to ensure you have none of the consoles on any of your characters).

Given the hassle and the fact that it is not clear that it would encourage more Zen sales, I doubt Cryptic would ever do it.

However, I have never come across a company doing this a full year after purchase, unless you were trading in a car. I've seen discounted upgrades if the upgrade happened within 3 or 4 months.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

edited February 2013

One of the few replies that actually discuss the matter at hand. Seems the 12th fleet has a sense for the essential.

Yes, I agree. There will be lots of players who like you calculate in hard cash and would not bother unless they get some kind of a full refund. If 99% of all players feel like that than this thread is useless.

But in the different threads regarding similar topics I have also met those who like me would like to get rid of stuff for good, but would not part from their old stuff without any benefits at all. It's not about $1-$2 or business!! I just want to get rid of something for good and get a little back so I don't have the feeling of making a complete waste. It's like getting the wrong duty officer. When you discharge him, you still get 1 dillithium (basically useless), but still makes me happy, because it was not a complete waste. That's also why I will never get the Ody bundle or the Vesta bundle, knowing that I can still use the Dreadnaught or the Intrepid which more or less could fill a similar role. Or to follow your example, I always sell my old video card although it's only worth 5$. I could throw it away, but I don't, because it still works and it would be a shame to throw away something that still works. The same issue with washing machines which sadly never break.
  • hsvuqardwsthsvuqardwst Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zulisvel wrote: »
    So you paid for it, used and enjoyed it, and now want to return it for as much of your money back as you can?

guys have been wishing the same thing for marriage for millenniums :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Requoting from that other thread you made, wich is cleverly disguised as not being the same as this one:

Recapping 3 years of STO discussion, and prob even more in Champs:

Never - Going - To - Happen
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited February 2013
    I made a mistake buying that year worth of zoo pass! At the time it sounded like a great idea. We love the zoo. Bit it's 2 hours away & after 3 visits in 6 months not much is changing with that oversized bear or the stinky goats in the petting zoo. I just wish they give me something to turn that in. Even if its $20! Or let me sale that pass to someone else but I can't! Unless I find a family of 5 with our same names!'

Why won't they!! Well because they are a bussiness. They want to sale full price passes to other people. Not let me sale mine or return mine even for exchange of a hat. That is bussiness.

You know one more thing... I'm a day one player. Been a 6 month sub for... Well 3 years. I stuck around for vet rewards. My sub payment was due 2 weeks before the 1000 day and last vet reward. I paid for another 6 month to reach that 1000 day. My next payment is due March. I have no intention to pay for a sub after march because no point. I just wish they would end my sub early. I would return my 1000 day ship, the blue vet post if they would just give me something! 500 zen would be nice! Hey I am sticking around!! Ill even use more than the 500 zen refund. In the end it would be good for them because I am happy! I am sure there is also some lifers that would give it up for a little something something;)

I see we start to understand each other.

But let's just assume you could kick that 1000 day ship you hate so much and never gonna use again and you could get 10,000 dilithium in exchange that you need elsewhere, wouldn't you be tempted to take it? You could buy the ship you really want right now and not worry, it will replace an older ship you once bought. You would sell your car if it's still worth a dime as long as you have buyer right in front of you, would you not? Again selling, buying or return may be the wrong term in our case, but you know what I mean.

Looking from Cryptic's side: What is so bad to pay 10,000 dillithium and help a player get rid of junk, if this would motivate him to get a replacement worth tons of ZEN? Car companies make lots of money through leasing and in contrast to my proposal they actually pay back 40% of the original cost.

At least that's how I feel. If I'm the only one feeling like that, I apologize for opening this discussion. But I really don't think I am alone.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As stated in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, (which by continuing to play STO, you've made an agreement of...)
    17. Fees

PWE may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities on the Website and may allow the purchase of in game "points" that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities ("Zen") ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NON REFUNDABLE AND NONTRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY REASON. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH.
    http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
    edited February 2013
    As stated in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, (which by continuing to play STO, you've made an agreement of...)

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

I know it is not refundable. I am not asking it is refundable or not. I am suggesting they change it a little.
  • xthesilent1xxthesilent1x Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know it is not refundable. I am not asking it is refundable or not. I am suggesting they change it a little.

No offense but if they started doing this(which will NEVER happen) PWE would become the laughing stock of the f2p industry. This would mean a big overhaul of the way C-store ships, and the equipment they contain, are handled in game. This would basically make C-store ships a single character, one time buy and they prolly would no longer let you put the equipment from them on other ships. Not to mention all the changes to the TOS they would have to make.

Long story short....its too much work and not worth the effort no matter how you try to spin it.
    edited February 2013
    However, I have never come across a company doing this a full year after purchase, unless you were trading in a car. I've seen discounted upgrades if the upgrade happened within 3 or 4 months.

Um, I just told you that companies do this with video cards. Even Best Buy got into this, offering you store credit to turn in your old electronics.

It actually makes pretty good business sense.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Um, I just told you that companies do this with video cards. Even Best Buy got into this, offering you store credit to turn in your old electronics.

It actually makes pretty good business sense.

MMO's aren't like retail establishments, though.

The main draw of a F2P MMO is its gameplay. A good F2P MMO is fun to play, so you're enticed to spend money on it.

Your example with video cards, though... you can buy the same electronics at Best Buy, CompUSA, Microcenter, etc. They're competing with each other over your business for the same products. You aren't going to be buying Star Trek starships from any other MMO, and if you aren't having fun in the actual game, you wouldn't be buying anything at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    I see we start to understand each other.

But let's just assume you could kick that 1000 day ship you hate so much and never gonna use again and you could get 10,000 dilithium in exchange that you need elsewhere, wouldn't you be tempted to take it? You could buy the ship you really want right now and not worry, it will replace an older ship you once bought. You would sell your car if it's still worth a dime as long as you have buyer right in front of you, would you not? Again selling, buying or return may be the wrong term in our case, but you know what I mean.

Looking from Cryptic's side: What is so bad to pay 10,000 dillithium and help a player get rid of junk, if this would motivate him to get a replacement worth tons of ZEN? Car companies make lots of money through leasing and in contrast to my proposal they actually pay back 40% of the original cost.

At least that's how I feel. If I'm the only one feeling like that, I apologize for opening this discussion. But I really don't think I am alone.

It would not.... You don't get basic bussiness. Are you alone? No of course not! And without getting into a a no no topic that line of thinking is why our country is messed up. Bussiness is for making money.. Bottom line... That is not a bad thing...