test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Gateway: Bugs and Technical Issue

Comments

• jacktayejacktaye Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Gateway works perfectly for my other captains (aside for one where the captain's shield, armor, weapons don't display), but for my main character, a Vice Admiral, it just kept loading and loading. And in the end it displays an error message with the 'under maintenance' note. Is it because the captain has too many ships and too many bridge officer for the gateway to handle now?
    My handle is: jacktaye, and the captain's name is Jack Taye, a Vice Admiral level character with the Federation.
    Of less importance, I also have another captain called Karazs with the KDF. His display works perfectly except his items don't show.

Much appreciated.
  • sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is neat! It works on Firefox and everything seems to be accurate, except that no traits are listed for the character (she's a custom alien, so the traits would be specific to her). Also, that is one blech character profile pic, but none of my real-life ID pics have ever looked any better so I guess that's true to life. :D
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When is it not going to be under mantaintance???
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jumpingjs, I keep getting the same issue. Logging into the Gateway for the first time (Accessing Secure Personnel Files) takes a long while -- during which it generates those emails to us, and sometimes it doesn't take. I was able to enter the number code and it still said Disconnected. Even after I chose my active character it kicked me out while I was in the Accolades screen twice and said Disconnected again!

Yo Cryptic devs, maybe you should fix those bugs soon and add some functions so we can do something with the Gateway like send duty officers on missions or refine dilithium? I made the suggestion for a smartphone app years ago and I am still waiting!

PS. I am using IE 9.0.8112 on a Windows 7 computer. My smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • zunderdomezunderdome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bug on gateway:

Modifying the URL >>> (char@handle) makes it possible watch any players ship-/char-equiptment. Every browser seems to make this get real.

That isn't as intended i think. And hey, this bug is a heavy fail on privacy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is Crypticverse...
  • crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for trying Gateway. We've got lots more on deck, and you're helping us work out a lot of little gotchas caused by browser differences as well as normal programmery bugs.

One thing: If you have a problem (including getting "down for maintenance" messages when the shard is up), please tell us what platform/device (e.g. Windows, Android on Galaxy Nexus SIII, iPhone) and what browser (e.g. Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m, latest Safari, IE9) you are using. Many of these problems are browser-specific, even if they don't seem like it.

A couple comments on the posts above:
    • We purposely made the URLs human-readable and "hackable" (in a good way). If you know a character name and @name, it's straightforward to make a URL to view them.
    • Privacy options are on the way.

Thanks!
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zunderdome wrote: »
    Bug on gateway:

Modifying the URL >>> (char@handle) makes it possible watch any players ship-/char-equiptment. Every browser seems to make this get real.

That isn't as intended i think. And hey, this bug is a heavy fail on privacy...

I'm pretty sure this isn't a bug. And more than that, I definitely do think it is intentional.

Part of the whole point of Gateway is to provide a means of sharing your profile to whoever, much in the same way as WoW's Armory app (for web and mobile devices). This isn't any more of a privacy breach than the WoW Armory's ability for players to look up other players or even entire guilds of players, complete with their equipment breakdowns, achievements, reputation levels, guild levels and skill talent trees.

You're seeing player character names and @handles. Both of these are readily visible in-game just by clicking on people's characters or seeing them chat in-game. You're seeing their active ships, weapons/gear, their BOffs, and their equipment, most of which can be readily deduced in-game as well. If the revelation of these things feel like a violation of privacy, I'm not sure I would recommend playing a game in an environment shared with other people.

You're NOT seeing Account names (@handles are not account names), Zen balances, or even Dilithium or Energy Credit balances. Even the data that you do see does not seem to be updated live. It's whatever the player logged out with last.

If I would change anything (other than more features which are supposed to be coming in the future anyway), it would be to not require a PWE login to view character pages. As a tool for sharing character info, it makes it very difficult to actually share this info to my gaming community; some of whom aren't currently playing STO (or even other Cryptic/PWE games). While you could make the argument that this is a F2P game and making a free account is pretty simple and painless, it's still another step that non-players have to take just to see a character web page I'm linking to them. And making it a hassle for them to see the types of characters and ships you can make in this game doesn't help bring them in either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I noticed I was finally able to get the whole shebang on my iphone, though it flashed up and then said everything was under maintenance...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jetnova16jetnova16 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This would be perfect if it was an app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch instead of a browser thing because I am already finding faults and flaws with it on my iPad!

Here is my major problem that I am having:

I have already tried using it on my iPad and pinned a copy of it to my Home Screen but that didn't workout the way it should because it wants me to register my iPad's browser again which is actually really stupid to do when it's already been registered. So what can I do or is this just another Technical Issue because now I have two One Time Codes for the same iPad and I am not going to use the second one when I have already used the first one for my iPad after all why should I use two codes for the same device?

Also the ability to access the game and play it would be good for the tablet PC platform or iPads, iPhones and for iPod Touch! This really needs to be worked on and have more thought put into how it works! I would bet that everyone that plays Star Trek Online, has a tablet PC, Smart Phone that uses apps (Android and iPhone) as well as those who have iPads (or other bigger tablet brands) would really love to be able to play the game on these systems/devices well on the go and away from their computer. Especially those who have problems accessing the game on their computers.
  • afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Getting 'down for maintenance' when shard is up:
    Java Version 7 Update 10 (info from Java site just then)
    IE9 (32 bit)
    Windows 7 64-Bit

File from Internet Explorer 9 F12 Developer Tools network tab:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ycevyzjrxp0xxnd
    Started logging after page loaded and before hiting login after entering account info, waited at the screen where you select a character, here less data is loaded so test is smaller, it will disconnect you wherever you are within gateway.
    I have 5 characters, the entire browers data was cleared before testing with Crtl + Shift + Delete with all checkboxes checked (except the top checkbox).
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited January 2013
    Windows 7 SP1 using Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m.

On Fed character personnel profiles/Captain profile captain not displaying correctly after completing Omega reputation tier 5 and Costume 4 unlock. My character is currently equipped with Mk XII MACO. STO Gateway is showing my character with MACO costume 2 with no equipment visible. Currently in game my basic costume slot is selected- ie not showing armor at all. Last time I switched costumes was over 12 hours ago.

Also, don't know if it's a bug or just weird looking- on Ship Equipment/ Officers stations my ship only has a Lieutenant Engineering station- but it's showing all 4 abilities for my Commander Engineering assigned to that station. Also the abilities are out of order- ie my Commander Tactical is showing TS3, CRF1, TT1, CSV3 instead of TT1, CRF1, TS3, CSV3
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just a quick update:

- None of my toons is still displaying any equipment on the captain itself (as previously reported).

- It seems like every ship has its base hull set to 10 000 (seen on a MVAE, Chel Grett, Vesta).

- Borg assimilated set items show a price of 10 000 ECs. I believe the price shown in game is 100 000 ECs (a price you receive 40% of upon dissmisal, as usual).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • slashrules1slashrules1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah i have a problem in the mission "War is good for Business" When i come to base 144 or 114 (i can't remember) then i must beam down scientest and then my caracter should beam down. But it say that my carakter can't beam down and throw me to window to write my user name and password. What should i do? :mad: :( I restart game 3 times already and nothing.
  • mechabeastmechabeast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've lost all my skills and most of my buffs. I tried to look for it in everything but they don't show up and in the top left corner my officers have disappeared. I have no idea what to do. :(
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if this is a bug, but...

When ever I use Gateway, on any device, a PC, my smartphone, tablet... Gateway seems to forget that it has been added, and I have to add the one time again.

Is there something preventing the database from holding onto these?

Seems to me, that this defeats the purpose of having the application that you can use on any device to access information form the game.
  • maximusminimushmaximusminimush Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    New update 10/01/2013. I canot enter or exit systems, join pve or pvp ques, canot add or remove items from inventory, canot transwarp,canot do anything what is happening to this game. glitches seem to get worse not better. ?
    edited January 2013
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a bug, but...

When ever I use Gateway, on any device, a PC, my smartphone, tablet... Gateway seems to forget that it has been added, and I have to add the one time again.

This is a bug and will be fixed in the update that's in testing right now.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    This is a bug and will be fixed in the update that's in testing right now.

Cool!

Thanks for the update!
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited January 2013
    I just tried to login to gateway on a Microsoft Surface RT and all that came up was "beta" at the top on a black page. Is it just me or does gateway not run on the Surface RT?
    edited January 2013
    There are some IE compatibility fixes in the pipeline which may fix this.
  • scottfreemanscottfreeman Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    New boffs are showing up, in proper uniforms. Older boffs, and actual charater uniform changes are not showing up.
  • darkstarmetdarkstarmet Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    in the hive ground fighting the queen we died but 2 of our guys were up and then they died and our stuff was in the room and we could not get in to get our rewards i have a screen shot of it.
  • bicchieribicchieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    More than anything, I'd like the ability to manage DOFF missions through the gateway. Please keep us updated on any development on this tool along with news about future seasons.
  • hal8472hal8472 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, I have been playing STO for several months now. But hit a bug and it's somewhat annoying me. Then the usual complaint that online support is very bad, takes a week to get back and even then it's not helpful. So I decide to go to the forum for some help. Thanks for the welcome where I can't post, only reply. Not even a notice of how long I have to wait before I can even ask my question on the forums.

I played ******** online for many years without any of these issues. Very disappointed!

HAL
  • o4q123o4q123 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can log into the Gateway on my Samsung Galaxy 3 just fine. But every time I do, I have to get a message saying I have to input a one time code. I did that when I first got it, but it wants me to do it EVERYTIME I log in.

Is there anyway I can get it to stop?
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    o4q123 wrote: »
    I can log into the Gateway on my Samsung Galaxy 3 just fine. But every time I do, I have to get a message saying I have to input a one time code. I did that when I first got it, but it wants me to do it EVERYTIME I log in.

Is there anyway I can get it to stop?

If your phone is jumping IP addresses, then you will keep getting that 1-time code prompt unless you disable Cryptic's STO Account Guard feature (not recommended).
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same with my Iphone. They will fix it. I remember a post about it a week or so ago
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    If your phone is jumping IP addresses, then you will keep getting that 1-time code prompt unless you disable Cryptic's STO Account Guard feature (not recommended).

That isn't true. The Account Guard doesn't work on IP address, it works per computer or device. See http://crypticstudios.com/accountguard for more details.
    Q: I use a wide range of IPs through my ISP, and change it frequently. Sounds like I am easily going to be hitting the max IPs allowed - will I need to opt-out of Account Guard?

A: Users with changing IPs on a single computer will not need to opt out of Account Guard. Account Guard performs its security checks against your computer or your web browser, not the originating IP. Your last originating IP, however, will be visible to you under the "Manage Account Guard" on the Cryptic Billing Portal.

As well, they are continually pushing out fixes for the Gateway, which is why it's still marked as being in beta.

From http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=516551
    Gateway:
    • Updated logging in:
      • Refreshing a page will no longer require a login.
      • Returning to Gateway after leaving it doesn't require a login unless you've been away for 30 minutes.
      • If you Log Out on the main page, you will need to log in again.

You can use this thread to report bugs and technical issues on Gateway and this thread for feedback and discussion.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, it continuously asking for the confirmation code with Gateway is annoying. I hope they will soon solve it.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    That isn't true. The Account Guard doesn't work on IP address, it works per computer or device. See http://crypticstudios.com/accountguard for more details.

As well, they are continually pushing out fixes for the Gateway, which is why it's still marked as being in beta.

From http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=516551

You can use this thread to report bugs and technical issues on Gateway and this thread for feedback and discussion.

Based on the Account Guard FAQ link, the PC identifier being used is the Computer Name (for Windows PC's). Unfortunately this identifier is easy to change for would-be hackers, so I don't know how much security it actually provides.
This discussion has been closed.