test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It still keeps telling me that the gateway is closed for maintenance. I've tried from my laptop, my wifes laptop, and my android phone. They all say the same thing.

Yeah...it happens to me every single time.

Whether from my computers or my phone...I can log in for a bit...then I get that message.
    I'm finding the same trouble. I use IE8 to log onto Gateway, it always takes a while to load and after a few minutes it says "Closed for Maintenance". But funny if I switch windows while it's loading it temporarily works. Then I go to click and it then shows the "Closed for Maintenance".

And it constantly asking for a 1-time code, is really becoming annoying.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same issue here, but on the first page it says this doesn't work with IE8, so I assume that is why.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    Same issue here, but on the first page it says this doesn't work with IE8, so I assume that is why.

Doesn't work with Firefox or Google Chrome either.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I cannot get it to work in the latest & updated IE, but it works fine on my missus Ipad. :rolleyes:
    /Floozy
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Huh, I did get it to work with Firefox, no problem. I don't recall which version I have, but I think its the latest.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Works fine on Firefox. Version 17.0.1 here.

Cryptic

You must implement privacy options for Gateway. If you cannot click on someone's avatar in game and obtain all their setup details then anyone should not be freely able to do so outside the game using your Gateway.

Those who want to publicly display and link their setups should be allowed to via Privacy Permissions:
    • Permission for Fleet to View
    • Permission for Friends to View
    • Permission for All to View

Permissions per account or per character would be best. This way you can get ahead of any possible misuse or abuse of Gateway information.
  • targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Cryptic

You must implement privacy options for Gateway. If you cannot click on someone's avatar in game and obtain all their setup details then anyone should not be freely able to do so outside the game using your Gateway.

Those who want to publicly display and link their setups should be allowed to via Privacy Permissions:
    • Permission for Fleet to View
    • Permission for Friends to View
    • Permission for All to View

Permissions per account or per character would be best. This way you can get ahead of any possible misuse or abuse of Gateway information.

This^^ and whoever that was that something similar earlier in the thread.
    Permission to view character details of someone elses account should by default turned off, then that player should have to turn on the "yes, other people can view my details".
    It just seems like a standard privacy issue to me.
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
  • aredoubleyouaredoubleyou Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it's great. Seeing it's based on LCARS there should be the option to have LCARS audio to interact along with it.
  • moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The BOFF abilities are listed in the incorrect order. It looks like they are listed as

3 2 1 4

with 1 = ensign, 4 =commander, etc.

Looks true for both bridge stations and away team abilities.

Will captain/BOFF skills/experience be added as well?

Edit:
    Windows 7, Chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 m
  • crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey all! Thanks for trying out the Gateway system. Please keep letting us know what problems you find.

PLEASE: When you have a problem, tell us what platform/device (e.g. Windows, Android on Galaxy Nexus SIII, iPhone) and what browser (e.g. Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m, latest Safari, IE9) you are using. Many of these problems are browser-specific, even if they don't seem like it.

To address some of the issues above:
    • Privacy options are on the way.
    • We are looking into the problem where cell phones keep asking for one-time codes.

For those who log in and later on see a "down for maintenance" message: do you ever see a character list? If you do and choose one, do you ever get to see a character page? (Also, let us know what browser you're using.)

We have lots planned for Gateway, but we're trying to get a lot of boring foundation stuff done and working great first. Any help you give us is greatly appreciated.
  • jetnova16jetnova16 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would be perfect if it was an app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Already tried using it on my iPad and pinned a copy of it to my Home screen but that didn't workout the way it should because it wants me to register my iPad's browser again which is actually really stupid to do when it's already been registered. Also the ability to access the game and play it would be good for the tablet PC platform or iPads, iPhones and for iPod Touch! This really needs to be worked on and have more thought put into how it works!
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am getting down for maintenence error.

I log in it does the accessing personal info screen for a really long time then Bamf out.

no Character screen no options. just log in....error

using explorer 9.0.8112.16421

I also use pidgin to access in game chats im gold on BOTH CO and STO have anivertery box on sto.

( pidgin over all is working however for the last week ive been only able to access one of my 3 STO guilds. i had paragon fleet joined Aracnos armada with my kdf char AA worked but PEF did not. so i quit PEF joined Research station jung RSJ works but now BOTH AA and PEF dont access. Global channals work fine.) i use IM+ to access jabber on iphone they do not have jabber chat support.

I do not have tribble server (yet).

I agree it would be nice to have a app that will access chats/gateway possibly even auctionhouse/Doff missions but that probibly to much to hope for.
  • doomsdaygerdoomsdayger Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good to hear that privacy is comming up.

I like the Idea to give Access to the Fleet or give permission to Special @handles.

It would be Perfect to have an API to get Date from this System so it can be user for the Fleet Page.
    Export of the Fleet Data (Member List, Fleet Base Status,) as XML or JSON would be gread.

Maybe it's an Idea to have a php API (only read rights) to get all this Data.
    Grep all this Data via curl would be an bad option.

First Testing on iphone (latest Safari) and Windows 8 (latest Chrome) Looks Good.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are we going to ever get any cryptic direction or feature list or eta's on this thing?

What is being worked on now?
    Is it going to take a month? 2?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited January 2013
    At the moment, we are working mainly on compatibility issues and basic infrastructure stuff which is rather invisible. (Except that needing to get new Account Guard permissions all the time and many "maintenance" errors will be getting fixed.)

You will start to see some Fleet support fairly soon.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    crypticpoz wrote: »
    At the moment, we are working mainly on compatibility issues and basic infrastructure stuff which is rather invisible. (Except that needing to get new Account Guard permissions all the time and many "maintenance" errors will be getting fixed.)

Is this STO Gateway intended mostly just as a read only tool for viewing game information only when you are not able to actually play the game or is it meant to have some types of actual game play like for instance the doff system?
  • forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Will these compatibility fixes include support for Internet Explorer 10?

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thank you for the update. Since its release I hadn't heard any direction.
    Fleet stuff in the next big feature? Ok.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited January 2013
    IE10 fixes are in the next update.
  • deyvidkdfdeyvidkdf Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway never loads for me on my smart phone. It loads great on my PC in both Firefox and Chrome, but it hangs on the "Accessing Player Files" on my phone and never displays my character information.

I input my correct login information, and it accepts it then goes to the "waiting" screen but I've let it sit for several minutes and it never accesses my characters.

Phone is Nokia Lumia 710, Windows phone.
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    should have made it into an app for both the Android and IOS. The phone explorers are clumsy at best.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • lgxllgxl Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dunno if known yet, but when I view my captain's profile, all gear and devices aren't displayed.
    Buoyancy
    That fine line between ship or submarine
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I realize this has been brought up roughly 7 billion times (or so I'm guessing, only read 2 pages of this thread), but being able to access and use this for DOFF assignments would be totally amazing. I often log on the full client just for DOFF, but I do have overall limited bandwidth and this would burn far less, over the long term. And it would just generally be a fantastic feature. It would be very welcome.

I am not really a fan of social networking getting out of control but this seems like it has massive potential for people sharing characters with friends. And actually gives people a reason to fill out the biography sections, have a little fun writing. I wrote a fairly extensive bio for my Joined Trill KDF character and I guess no one but me ever really sees it. So I dig it.

I could also see this being highly useful down the road for people trying to find fleets that are genuinely full of players that actually care and are active. Could save some people joining fleets they don't want to if they could do some research first.

I do second some of the privacy issues mentioned before about equipment setups, how much Dil is in accounts etc. I do not really need strangers to know my Dil balance.

Characters seem to look slightly weird, the heads don't look quite right.

But overall I find this pretty cool and would like to see it developed more.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As someone with a dynamic IP, I have to re-register my PC every time I try to log in.
    Please change that.
  • lostpinky101lostpinky101 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway is a great idea looking a bit into the future though can you confirm that:

The Gateway will be a platform for external websites to retrieve STO based info for use on other sites.

I run a website for my fleet which I would love to be able to make a RESTFUL or SOAP web service call to the Gateway to retrieve current info including fleet rank about a certain profile and have my websites Access Control Level updated for that user.

EG:

So Joe.Blog@joeblogs might be a registered handle on my website and he has a website rank of level 1.
    When I promote Joe.Blogs within my fleet that information is available by Gateway and when my site next retrieves that info it then allows a workflow to run that will update the user's rank of my fleet site.

Is the exposure of an API like this a possibility in the future?
    Founding Don
    - Ausmonauts
    - Imperial Ausmonauts
    ausmonautsportal.enjin.com
  • ussnighthawkussnighthawk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    deyvidkdf wrote: »
    The Gateway never loads for me on my smart phone. It loads great on my PC in both Firefox and Chrome, but it hangs on the "Accessing Player Files" on my phone and never displays my character information.

I input my correct login information, and it accepts it then goes to the "waiting" screen but I've let it sit for several minutes and it never accesses my characters.

Phone is Nokia Lumia 710, Windows phone.

Same with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (haven't tried it on the phone yet). I agree with captw, phone and tablet internet browsers are still kinda clunky; Gateway should've been an app all its own on the iTunes and Play Stores.

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • davedonnodavedonno Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is the Star Trek Online Gateway feedback and discussion thread! Please post any comments or feedback you have about the system here!

What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

Feedback

Star Trek Online Gateway is in early Beta, and we look forward to hearing what you think about it. Let us know what you're thinking by commenting below in this forum thread.

If you have technical issues or experience any bugs such as problems using Gateway with your web browser or device, please let us know by posting to this forum thread. Please let us know what operating system and browser (including version numbers) you are using. If you are using a mobile device, let us know which one.

Also, take a glance at the Known Issues below for a list of things we already know about.

Browser Requirements

• Gateway is tailored to work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices supporting HTML5.
    • Gateway has been verified to operate on recent versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It may work on earlier versions of these browsers. It does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
    • Gateway requires the use of cookies.
    • Gateway requires the use of Javascript.

Login Issues

You must log in to a Perfect World account to use Gateway. If you don't have one, you will have to create one first. If you have a Cryptic account, but not a Perfect World account, you will need to create a Perfect World account and link it to your Cryptic account before using Gateway.

Click here to create a new account or link an existing account.

Click here for more information on account linking.

Cookie Usage

• A cookie is used to keep track of your session while you using Gateway. This is a "session cookie" and is not kept after you leave the page.
    • A second, persistent cookie is also used by Account Guard to determine if the particular browser install is authorized for use with your account. This cookie contains no account information.

Known Issues

• Gateway does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
    • Character changes that occur in the client are not immediately updated on the web. You must log out and back in to see the changes.
    • Pictures of bridge officers do not show the officer in their chosen stance.
    • Pictures of ships do not show additions or changes that come from equipment (e.g. Borg equipment, etc.)
    • Though Gateway uses the language preferred by your browser, there is some text that is not yet translated. Gateway supports the same languages Star Trek Online does: English, German, and French.
    • Some players may see their shuttle instead of their ship -- a fix is in the pipeline that will have the Gateway always show your ship.

Cryptic account guard I HATE you so much!!!!!!:mad:
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway is a great idea looking a bit into the future though can you confirm that:

The Gateway will be a platform for external websites to retrieve STO based info for use on other sites.

I run a website for my fleet which I would love to be able to make a RESTFUL or SOAP web service call to the Gateway to retrieve current info including fleet rank about a certain profile and have my websites Access Control Level updated for that user.

EG:

So Joe.Blog@joeblogs might be a registered handle on my website and he has a website rank of level 1.
    When I promote Joe.Blogs within my fleet that information is available by Gateway and when my site next retrieves that info it then allows a workflow to run that will update the user's rank of my fleet site.

Is the exposure of an API like this a possibility in the future?

That would be awesome. (But stay away from SOAP, it's old and dying. REST would be just fine, and the way to go these days.)

Make it secure by requiring interested users register for appIDs, then restrict those API calls by domain (so they don't get retrieved by other sites) and limit how often the data can be retrieved so developers are "encouraged" to cache the data and not hammer the site with requests. Enable support for multiple fleets (can be useful for KDF branches for example) but limit them to the fleets the user has characters in.

Just some ideas. :P
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway is a nice idea, but I do have problems with my IPod Touch:

I load the page and enter my PWE account information. Save Browser and cookies are activated.

But then I always have to check my E-Mail account for the new activation numbers.

Gets boring while doing this a few times.
This discussion has been closed.