test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Question #2

Comments

• mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Plox's medical practices had more in common with that of a savage witch doctor than 20th century medicine let alone 22nd century medicine, great for comic relief but I'd never want to be one of his patients.
    Maggots and leeches are used for some modern medicinal applications, and Phlox does use hyposprays almost as frequently as any of the other series' doctors.
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The Theme Song.

Really the only issue I had with it :eek:

If they had just a few more seasons I think people coulda warmed up to. Or maybe got into the Eath/Romulan war instead of going back in time to WW2.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The more I think about it, the main reasons ENT did so poorly were franchise fatigue and being stuck on UPN. I probably only saw 5 episodes while it was on the air due to the lack of viewing opportunities. I didn't really watch it until it came out on DVD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really don't get people hating on series, usually it turns out if people are really honest, its just that they miss what came before. Nothing wrong with that, but all the hate gets me. I could take most everything said about Enterprise here and make it about TNG, and I bet I could find people who watched TOS and hated TNG the same way.

I have to admit all the T'Pol sex symbol hate makes me laugh though, once you consider, Uhura (or random guest of the week), Troi, and 7 of 9. You could probably make an argument for Dax (both of them) in there as well. Or maybe Kira. There has always been a sex symbol in Star Trek, its just updated for how much they can get away with during the time the show is shown. If TOS had been made now instead of the 60s, well, take a look at the movie for that.

Now, I can agree that there are some continuity issues in ENT, but again, there are those everywhere.

And as for the theme song, well, you can only remix a tune so many times. That and it definately made you remember it.

Now, do I love ENT? Not really, I like it, it had its high points and lows ( I honestly think the last episode was ruined by Riker being there and it all being a holoprogram he was running, and yeah, the Borg were overdone.) But I don't hate it.

Then again, all this is my opinion, and my opinion usually takes a lot to declare hate of something.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Time travelling space TRIBBLE. The end of season three/beginning of season four had time travelling space TRIBBLE.

Time travelers? OK.

Space TRIBBLE? Harder to deal with, but I'll try to meet you half way.

Time travelling space TRIBBLE? Too much for me to wrap my fragile little melon around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Time travelling space TRIBBLE. The end of season three/beginning of season four had time travelling space TRIBBLE.

Time travelers? OK.

Space TRIBBLE? Harder to deal with, but I'll try to meet you half way.

Time travelling space TRIBBLE? Too much for me to wrap my fragile little melon around.
    Well.... they made good bad guys. Evil anarchist time travelers have been done to death. Guys with a plan who want to subjugate not just the universe but time itself? Hehe....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • butlertollrulesbutlertollrules Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought it was getting good, then they cancelled it, and they then seemed to cram a lot into the last half pf the final season.
    What you want is irrelevant, what you have chosen is at hand

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maggots and leeches are used for some modern medicinal applications, and Phlox does use hyposprays almost as frequently as any of the other series' doctors.
    I am aware of such treatments and the large amount of animal research involved in medicine, but you aren't likely to find a hospital with a room filled with animals in little cages being used as the treatments. The SPCA would have a field day with Phlox.
    Well.... they made good bad guys. Evil anarchist time travelers have been done to death. Guys with a plan who want to subjugate not just the universe but time itself? Hehe....
    Considering how xenophobic the TRIBBLE were, that plot element was inconceivable, they might be dealing with aliens covertly but they would never have them out and about in full SS regalia. The TRIBBLE space aliens were comical because of that absurdity.
    malkarris wrote: »
    I have to admit all the T'Pol sex symbol hate makes me laugh though, once you consider, Uhura (or random guest of the week), Troi, and 7 of 9. You could probably make an argument for Dax (both of them) in there as well. Or maybe Kira. There has always been a sex symbol in Star Trek, its just updated for how much they can get away with during the time the show is shown. If TOS had been made now instead of the 60s, well, take a look at the movie for that.
    Uhura served a purpose in an era where racial segregation was still a very hot topic in production television, miniskirts were both of the fashions of the time and because Roddenbury liked women in miniskirts, but both T'Pol and 7 of 9 were nothing more than exploited characters serving as eye candy to attract viewers of a certain demographic, they could have fulfilled their roles while clothed more conservatively but instead were garbed in tight revealing catsuits for one purpose only, cheapening the show in the process. Did I hate the characters, no I did not, but I hated what was done with them, they were just another example of the gradual dumbing down of the franchise that had taken hold in Star Trek to make it more marketable to the masses .
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dumbing down. I nominate Spock's Brain, wait that was back in the 60s or wait how about Rascals in the 90s or wait how about a whole episode about a baseball card in the mid 90s or wait how about humans evolving into large salamanders.

Actually, I found T'Pol to be the best non-human to be stuck with human Trek character. In the beginning of the Series, she clearly did not like being on the Enterprise evolving to the point where she chose a human to be with rather another Vulcan.

Like all of the series, the show was slow in getting established, but by Season 4, it was actually very good. If you seen the plans for Season 5, Kzinti!!!

I do like the NX-01 and it wasn't the ship's designers fault, if you read the history of designing the NX-01, the producers wanted the akira-esque hull, the ship's designers were planning on doing a ship similar to the Daedalus.
    edited January 2013
    The SPCA sucks....

Actually, the TRIBBLE weren't Xenophobic. Not as a whole. And in the episodes with the Nakuhl, this gets brought up. Only a few TRIBBLE officials ever see the Nakuhl, and they agree that it is best to keep the source of these Nakuhl weapons secret.

When I heard they were planning to use the Kzinti I went ;-;. I would have loved to have seen that!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    both T'Pol and 7 of 9 were nothing more than exploited characters serving as eye candy to attract viewers of a certain demographic

I agree with you, but I'd also like to point out that's originally why they created the part of Wesley Crusher.
    The decontamination chamber, oh yes, lets all get hot and sweaty in our underwear while we rub vasoline on each other, ahhh Yuck.

I would simply direct you to the following site as it does a good job of explaining the origins of the decon protocol. TL;DR version: The guy who invented it was a total broski.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The issue is not that the TRIBBLE were doing business with aliens, the Space TRIBBLE description comes from that fact that those aliens were dressed up in full military uniforms. German officers would be outraged if a non-Aryan wore the uniform let alone extraterrestrials.
    Alien monsters dressed in TRIBBLE uniforms is a cliche' villain straight out of a bad comic book.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    I have to admit all the T'Pol sex symbol hate makes me laugh
    though, once you consider, Uhura (or random guest of the week), Troi, and 7 of 9. You could probably make an argument for Dax (both of them) in there as well. Or maybe Kira. There has always been a sex symbol in Star Trek, its just updated for how much they can get away with during the time the show is shown. If TOS had been made now instead of the 60s, well, take a look at the movie for that.

The thing that really bugged me with it, was how much Jolene Blalock was degraded as a woman in her role, and I lay that blame squarely on Brannon Braga... He'd gotten away with degrading Jeri Ryan with the catsuits (and even wound up hooking up with her) as a ratings revival, so decided to work the same trick for T'Pol. But what really did it for me, was the scene in Carbon Creek where she was dressing and then undressing behind the sheet. Nipple is visible in the silhouette. That was totally unnecessary, so in my opinion, that was just exploitation. The other scenes where she'd get naked with Tucker, again, unnecessary and just a cheap excuse to get some bare TRIBBLE on screen, but the sheet scene was a step too far, IMHO... Uhura didn't wear anything which was not already seen in the fashions of the day, and the same goes for Troi, Dax and Kira (although they did get Terry Farrell in a bikini whenever they could (and suggested she had a threeway in the holosuite at the beginning of Way of the Warrior) but that was way more subtle than the Seven and T'Pol treatment... Same for the the Motion Picture... Sure, Ilia wound up wearing a very short skirt, but it wasn't as if she was made to strip behind a sheet for gratuitous nipple shots...
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    Rick Berman.
    Brannon Braga

Thank you.
    edited January 2013
    The issue is not that the TRIBBLE were doing business with aliens, the Space TRIBBLE description comes from that fact that those aliens were dressed up in full military uniforms. German officers would be outraged if a non-Aryan wore the uniform let alone extraterrestrials.
    Alien monsters dressed in TRIBBLE uniforms is a cliche' villain straight out of a bad comic book.
    That's a good point, I'd have to rewatch the ep to see if it's mentioned. IIRC they weren't "regular" members of the military though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Berman and Braga. That's all.

Berman worshiped at the altar of the Great Bird, but he thought Gene's Trek was all about technobabble and stuff.

Berman didn't even know what Trek was about at all.

They took a heavy hand to this show, which is similar to what they did to Voyager. That's why they felt the same, in terms of quality.

As such, fans didn't get what they wanted. They wanted a prequel. Exploring space, meeting and getting along with somewhat familiar aliens. Set up for all the stuff we've heard about over 24 seasons of Trek. What they got was Voyager in the Past for two seasons: an occasional good episode, mixed with a lot of junk. A temporal cold war might have worked for Voyager, or even a post-Voyager show or movie, but it was about the worst thing they could have done for a prequel.

The Xindi arc was a marked improvement. Yes, having it be the Xindi at all, instead of any other known alien (they're not that far from Earth!), was dumb. But they made the most of that dumb stuff, and it turned out OK for the most part. Until the Time Alien TRIBBLE.

But after that, it actually turned into what the fans had wanted way at the beginning. There was even a lot of set-up for the fabled Romulan War! But it was too little, too late. By the time folks figured out things had changed, the show was already done for.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Really? So many people dislike the ENTERPRISE theme song, of any of them?

I've been into Star Trek since the early '90s, and it instantly became my favorite opening. I can't see a better-fitting song other than that "Space, the final frontier" one voiced over by Scott Bakula. Actually, they're equally good, IMO.

Then again, I'm the insane type that enjoys both J-pop and country music somehow. But meh.

Star Trek: Enterprise was a great addition to Star Trek.
    edited January 2013
    That's a good point, I'd have to rewatch the ep to see if it's mentioned. IIRC they weren't "regular" members of the military though.

There were time travelling space TRIBBLE in Gestapo uniform, in a regular German army uniform, and a bunch of T.T.S.N.'s in little white lab coats with swastika armbands.

It was just silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

This might be exaggerating a bit. It may be true before the start of conscription during the war, but there are enough counter examples in our timeline to refute that as the absolute rule. It's been a long time since I've seen this episode, but I recall the actors dropping hints that their inclusion in the SS wasn't exactly comfortable to everyone, but they were winning the war with their help so no one complained.

Plus, it's very plausible if someone alien came to with technology to conquer the world, you would be willing to bend the rules a little.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
    edited January 2013
    This might be exaggerating a bit. It may be true before the start of conscription during the war, but there are enough counter examples in our timeline to refute that as the absolute rule. It's been a long time since I've seen this episode, but I recall the actors dropping hints that their inclusion in the SS wasn't exactly comfortable to everyone, but they were winning the war with their help so no one complained.

Plus, it's very plausible if someone alien came to with technology to conquer the world, you would be willing to bend the rules a little.
    Yeah, otwards the end of the war the German army had relatively few actual germans in it most of the others were conscripts. Truth is Hitler only enforced his rules when it suited him anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, time travelling space TRIBBLE will never work for me, no matter how you can rationalize it. Some things just push the suspension of disbelief barrier too far, and this is a good example.

And the Ent theme music really, really sucked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    two things that would have made star trek enterprise better.

1# have earth starfleet ships in the show and have more earth cargo ships too. also having the deadalus class strship in star trek enterprise

2# full earht-romulan with fleet of ship from both sides fight eachother
  • lorandaxlorandax Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just started watching the series on Netflix. I'm just getting into the whole Temporal TRIBBLE storyline. A couple of dull parts and pieces, but overall I'm enjoying it. And yes, the theme song was all wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Theme Song and and Xindi story arc made me cringe. I also did not like Scott Bakula's whiny acting also. I quite liked the 1st season and where it was heading though.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1# have earth starfleet ships in the show and have more earth cargo ships too.

We had a number of Starfleet vessels other than the Enterprise on the show. And we saw a number of freighters also.
    also having the deadalus class strship in star trek enterprise

I think that was the successor to the NX class.
    2# full earht-romulan with fleet of ship from both sides fight eachother

We probably would have gotten that if the series had lasted one more season.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They planned it out where season 5 would have gotten into the Earth Romulan war.
    Enterprise is also supposed to get a new engine that is too big for the ship and they would have to refit the entire ship to make it look more like the Constitution class.

Overall, I liked it.
    I don't mind the theme song, but it has to be skipped if you are marathoning it.
    There are a lot of little details that went into the show that make it believable as the precursor of TOS, I'm talking about art direction and props.

The whole temporal cold war could have been done better and the TRIBBLE episode was written in just to end it.

The Zindi arc (season 3) was interesting and for some that say we never hear from them again in the other series, I imagined that they just never became real player in the galaxy. Look at the Tellerite and Andorian, they barely have any apperance beside the last season of TOS. Politically irrelevant or very integrated with the Federation.

The first two seasons has its up and down but I like the conflict and tension between Vulcans and Human. It implicitly set up a goal of the utopic Federation for these, at the time, primitive species to grow into. I liked seeing how the crew messed up or making beginner's mistakes that for us, old viewers of the other series would go all duh about. It shows that they are still young and learning.

The last season is the best (except the last episode). The augments and Klingon plague arcs was the best. And I loved the mirror arc. I don't mind the Borg episode and it make sense in the story. The Ferangi episode was just funny. For the last episode, they could have done something great where the Vulcan finally accepted humanity as being not primitive and fully pledge their help to help human explore. If they didn't end the temporal cold war arc, they could have used the last episode to end it with how the modern (season 4) Enterprise or Archer must be saved or protected so ten years from now, he can sign the Federation charter.
    The Holodeck was just lame!
    edited January 2013
    lorandax wrote: »
    I just started watching the series on Netflix. I'm just getting into the whole Temporal TRIBBLE storyline. A couple of dull parts and pieces, but overall I'm enjoying it. And yes, the theme song was all wrong.
    I have to say that after watching the whole thing I came to like Silik and wanted to see him stay around.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2013
    In honor of this thread, I have decided to update my signature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    topset wrote: »
    Give the man a taco. This is the ONLY reason it bombed and got cancelled.

Give it a good orchestral theme song and I think it manages a full run of 7 series.

I always thought that the theme used with the end credits, should have been the one used with the opening credits.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    UPN channel 50 in Chicago went bankurupt

The ratings bottomed out scyfi pick it up but no one watched it so its in paramounts lockup

This has happend with other shows.

B5 was a hit on UPN when it bought buy TNT they wanted to go with more of a drama show so the time slot was cancelled and they haven't sold it off to any other networks.

Samething happend with Voyager rating were down because it was on Friday so season 7 got cut short and they found there way home

One of the biggest issues with Enterprise is the seasion ending was written up so it made the whole show seem like Rikers Holodeck mid life crisis.