test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crash after crash

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ok its still happening, but now theres another problem.

my PC turns off and on again. unsafely....

damnit lol
    edited February 2010
    well today.

1 reboot

2 crashes

3 hours gameplay

will look back tommoro AGAIN...you would of though with so many views/posts to this topic a dev would of looked by now?
    edited February 2010
    Did you try running another more intense game to check if the problem is strictly with this game? Cause I know it is for me. I'm having the same damn problems and I run the exact Video card, except I run two 4890's in Crossfire.

I only crash in ground combat, usually like 8-10x per mission. I've tried turning off smooth smoke, post-processing, high-detailed objects, turned Aniso down to 8x instead of 16, pretty much everything. I even reverted my 10.1 catalysts to 9.12 Hotfixed ones, and though the crashes are less now, it went from like 10 a mission to about 6. Still not pro. In CB and OB I'd crash like once every 4 hours if that.

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding.

I'm gonna try yet another driver sweep and revert back the catalyst 9.11s I used in CB. I'll see if that helps but I'm more than certain it won't, since a lot of people are praising 10.1 catalysts as awesome drivers for all ATI users all around.

[UPDATE] Okay, so I think I fixed it. I did a little research after I made my initial post above, and went to the ATI forums to see what they say about Catalysts 10.1. To my surprise (Being I usually only read about drivers on Guru3d) I find out for the first time that a lot of people are having their Operating Systems corrupted by these drivers, and it lasts even through a rollback to 9.12's and such. Which is exactly what I did, and still had the same problem above.

So, remembering some stuff I read in the ATI driver section of Guru3d forums, I decided to look into Cat 9.8's. These appear to be the last 4xxx Series optimized drivers to ever be released by ATI. After that, it's all a bunch of nonsense updates for random apps that I don't use, or them trying to get their 5xxx series working up to par.

I uninstalled everything to do with ATI through Windows first.

Turned off my modem (To make sure they don't automatically install generic windows drivers when I restart. Old habit from using my Nvidias,)

Restarted my PC.

Ran Driver Sweeper, cleaned out everything pertaining to ATI.

Restarted again.

Ran a Registry Cleaner program to pinpoint every single registry entry pertaining to ATI and removed them, (Along with some for old programs I uninstalled a few weeks ago.)

Restarted my PC again.

Installed Catalyst 9.8 Drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Restarted again.

Checked my settings to make sure everything's the way I like it. (Left the FSAA and AF up to the game.)

Logged in, continued my ground mission to save Murta and the other *****.

It bugged out forcing me to do it yet a SECOND time from scratch. However, I considered this a benchmark to see if my drivers were finally up to par. They were.

Not a single crash through the duration of both ground missions. All settings on max, including 8x FSAA, Post-processing, high detailed objects, occlusions, and all that jazz.

Problem solved. I advise everyone to stay away from the Catalyst 10+ series of drivers, unless you absolutely need them to get your 5xxx series card working. Otherwise, stick with your best tried, and tested version of Cat 9's.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    Did you try running another more intense game to check if the problem is strictly with this game? Cause I know it is for me. I'm having the same damn problems and I run the exact Video card, except I run two 4890's in Crossfire.

I only crash in ground combat, usually like 8-10x per mission. I've tried turning off smooth smoke, post-processing, high-detailed objects, turned Aniso down to 8x instead of 16, pretty much everything. I even reverted my 10.1 catalysts to 9.12 Hotfixed ones, and though the crashes are less now, it went from like 10 a mission to about 6. Still not pro. In CB and OB I'd crash like once every 4 hours if that.

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding. Whatever you did to the game between OB and now totally ****ed everything for a lot of people.

I'm gonna try yet another driver sweep and revert back the catalyst 9.11s I used in CB. I'll see if that helps but I'm more than certain it won't, since a lot of people are praising 10.1 catalysts as awesome drivers for all ATI users all around.

P.S. Someone's getting hunted down and tortured if this game causes any serious damage to my hardware.

if anything happens to my machine ill be joining you on the hunt lol, luckily its only a few days old and still has warranty. but thats not the point.

i crash in ground + space. and its not allways in combat, i crashed and had BSOD's from doing nothing other than moving in sector space. its ridiculous. i know 100% its STO that is causing problems. cos i have no other problems with my other games.

i just want to enjoy the game. PLEASE cryptic at least tell us your on the case with your broken(yet satisfying) game.
    edited February 2010
    Granted the game doesn't run as smoothly as it ran at the very end of Open Beta when they allowed Antialiasing finally...this time around it's not Cryptic's fault. I blame ATI for trying to hit me with the Viral Matrix called Cat 10.1's. Seriously never buying another ATI/AMD product ever again. And as soon as I can afford it I'm upgrading to that new core GPU Nvidia's putting out, since it'll not only run more efficiently, but it has enough power to blow away both my 4890s combined by itself.

Look at my last post to see how I fixed the problem btw.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:

I noticed one time, it even crashed my Video drivers saying they're no longer responding.

[UPDATE] Okay, so I think I fixed it. I did a little research after I made my initial post above, and went to the ATI forums to see what they say about Catalysts 10.1. To my surprise (Being I usually only read about drivers on Guru3d) I find out for the first time that a lot of people are having their Operating Systems corrupted by these drivers, and it lasts even through a rollback to 9.12's and such. Which is exactly what I did, and still had the same problem above.

So, remembering some stuff I read in the ATI driver section of Guru3d forums, I decided to look into Cat 9.8's. These appear to be the last 4xxx Series optimized drivers to ever be released by ATI. After that, it's all a bunch of nonsense updates for random apps that I don't use, or them trying to get their 5xxx series working up to par.

I uninstalled everything to do with ATI through Windows first.

Turned off my modem (To make sure they don't automatically install generic windows drivers when I restart. Old habit from using my Nvidias,)

Restarted my PC.

Ran Driver Sweeper, cleaned out everything pertaining to ATI.

Restarted again.

Ran a Registry Cleaner program to pinpoint every single registry entry pertaining to ATI and removed them, (Along with some for old programs I uninstalled a few weeks ago.)

Restarted my PC again.

Installed Catalyst 9.8 Drivers for Win 7 64-bit.

Restarted again.

Checked my settings to make sure everything's the way I like it. (Left the FSAA and AF up to the game.)

Logged in, continued my ground mission to save Murta and the other *****.

It bugged out forcing me to do it yet a SECOND time from scratch. However, I considered this a benchmark to see if my drivers were finally up to par. They were.

Not a single crash through the duration of both ground missions. All settings on max, including 8x FSAA, Post-processing, high detailed objects, occlusions, and all that jazz.

Problem solved. I advise everyone to stay away from the Catalyst 10+ series of drivers, unless you absolutely need them to get your 5xxx series card working. Otherwise, stick with your best tried, and tested version of Cat 9's.

thats ALOT of work, for somthing that should of been sorted by cryptic.

keep me posted on how well it works, i managed to get STO to work for 3-4 hours straight and then earlier another CTD.

if a dev/cryptic member EVER looks at this post, im sure your results might have somthing in it they may of overlooked.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    Granted the game doesn't run as smoothly as it ran at the very end of Open Beta when they allowed Antialiasing finally...this time around it's not Cryptic's fault. I blame ATI for trying to hit me with the Viral Matrix called Cat 10.1's. Seriously never buying another ATI/AMD product ever again. And as soon as I can afford it I'm upgrading to that new core GPU Nvidia's putting out, since it'll not only run more efficiently, but it has enough power to blow away both my 4890s combined by itself.

Look at my last post to see how I fixed the problem btw.

this is almost a pure ATI/AMD machine,and my first time using them.. and i dont thinks its there fault, at least not as much as cryptics. as none of my other games have this issue.

*pulls hair out* this is just frustrating lol
    edited February 2010
    Aeleys wrote:
    this is almost a pure ATI/AMD machine,and my first time using them.. and i dont thinks its there fault, at least not as much as cryptics. as none of my other games have this issue.

*pulls hair out* this is just frustrating lol

You could -probably- skip the Registry cleanup part, but when I read "10.1's corrupting OS" I was like one of the soldiers straight out of Metal Gear Solid. Big TRIBBLE " ! " popped up over my head, and I decided it was warranted, just to make sure I don't waste my time doing a mere Driver cleanup with Driver Sweeper.

It's also a must from what I hear with ATI drivers, that you use a program like Driver Sweeper eeeevery time you change the drivers. This isn't as big a problem with Nvidias, but being AMD is a second-rate piece of **** company, it must be done.

I'ma get back to running some of these episodes, so I can finally hit T2 without anymore crashing...hopefully. I don't think I will get anymore problems though.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    You could -probably- skip the Registry cleanup part, but when I read "10.1's corrupting OS" I was like one of the soldiers straight out of Metal Gear Solid. Big TRIBBLE " ! " popped up over my head, and I decided it was warranted, just to make sure I don't waste my time doing a mere Driver cleanup with Driver Sweeper.

It's also a must from what I hear with ATI drivers, that you use a program like Driver Sweeper eeeevery time you change the drivers. This isn't as big a problem with Nvidias, but being AMD is a second-rate piece of **** company, it must be done.

I'ma get back to running some of these episodes, so I can finally hit T2 without anymore crashing...hopefully. I don't think I will get anymore problems though.

if you get time, and test it out a bit more tommoro let me know if the revert to 9.8 is worth it.
    edited February 2010
    Aeleys wrote:
    if you get time, and test it out a bit more tommoro let me know if the revert to 9.8 is worth it.

It's definitely worth it. They seem made for our card(s). I even noticed a pretty good change in better image quality. My edges are smoother despite the settings being the same, and my frames are better even when I'm fighting 20 klingons at once and guns are blazing all over the place at the same time. It runs way better than it did when I'd be fighting 5 klingons at once with my old drivers 9.11 all the way through 10.1.

I'm -actually- finding myself getting surrounded by 8 mobs, right in my face, screen zoomed in cause I'm backed against a corner, gunfire everywhere, me jumping around sprinting, spamming heals on my self, and not getting a single frame hickup. That's a first in this game. Only space combat has ever run that smooth for me before now.

I'm definitely sticking with 9.8 for as long as possible.

Also, after my last post, I did the Briar patch, and two other missions after it. Whole lot of ground combat (hence how I ended up pulling two packs of klingons and aggroing a small batallion of 20 dudes) and I -didn't- have ONE single crash. I'ma be patting myself on the back all the way til I pass out in 8 hours when I get off of work.

I saw some threads on the first page of this forum where Nvidia users are saying the same thing about their drivers. (Stick with old ones, they run better in this game.) Though in my case, 9.8s make my cards way more beastly apparently.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    It's definitely worth it. They seem made for our card(s). I even noticed a pretty good change in better image quality. My edges are smoother despite the settings being the same, and my frames are better even when I'm fighting 20 klingons at once and guns are blazing all over the place at the same time. It runs way better than it did when I'd be fighting 5 klingons at once with my old drivers 9.11 all the way through 10.1.

I'm -actually- finding myself getting surrounded by 8 mobs, right in my face, screen zoomed in cause I'm backed against a corner, gunfire everywhere, me jumping around sprinting, spamming heals on my self, and not getting a single frame hickup. That's a first in this game. Only space combat has ever run that smooth for me before now.

I'm definitely sticking with 9.8 for as long as possible.

Also, after my last post, I did the Briar patch, and two other missions after it. Whole lot of ground combat (hence how I ended up pulling two packs of klingons and aggroing a small batallion of 20 dudes) and I -didn't- have ONE single crash. I'ma be patting myself on the back all the way til I pass out in 8 hours when I get off of work.

I saw some threads on the first page of this forum where Nvidia users are saying the same thing about their drivers. (Stick with old ones, they run better in this game.) Though in my case, 9.8s make my cards way more beastly apparently.

thats good to know, thanks for the update. lets hope it lasts
    edited February 2010
    another bluse screen and multiple crashes again today
    edited February 2010
    I have the same exact card, if you in game, turn your video settings to maximum you will crash nearly everytime on ground missions, has to do with dynamic lightning and is a know issue, work around is to in game, under video settings, take the video settings down a notice so its not on max performance, and you should be good. I know, its irritating you have a card that can do max settings no prob but its cryptics issue now, hopefully they will get it fixed soon.
    edited February 2010
    Sizman wrote:
    I have the same exact card, if you in game, turn your video settings to maximum you will crash nearly everytime on ground missions, has to do with dynamic lightning and is a know issue, work around is to in game, under video settings, take the video settings down a notice so its not on max performance, and you should be good. I know, its irritating you have a card that can do max settings no prob but its cryptics issue now, hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

im not running max, i have turned off PP AA got V-sync on too etc all the tips.

includeing /maxfps i normaly let it do 50

and yes its cryptics problem, yet they wont admit to it. and will refuse to do anything about it while all of us are buring out our cards/rigs
    edited February 2010
    Sizman wrote:

It can't be her GPU brand/number though, because I'm using not one, but two of the same card. I run max everything including 8x FSAA, and 16x Aniso. I even run it with Adaptive Antialiasing on performance since quality doesn't offer enough for the performance hit in this game. As far as I can tell nothing slows me down or errors me now. The culprit was the Catalyst 10.1's. I'm willing to bet she's using them or was, and she didn't driver sweep a clean install of different drivers. There's gotta' be some kind of driver problem going on. If not that, then it might prove to be a hardware problem. Possibly one caused by this game.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    It can't be her GPU brand/number though, because I'm using not one, but two of the same card. I run max everything including 8x FSAA, and 16x Aniso. I even run it with Adaptive Antialiasing on performance since quality doesn't offer enough for the performance hit in this game. As far as I can tell nothing slows me down or errors me now. The culprit was the Catalyst 10.1's. I'm willing to bet she's using them or was, and she didn't driver sweep a clean install of different drivers. There's gotta' be some kind of driver problem going on. If not that, then it might prove to be a hardware problem. Possibly one caused by this game.

its a he, but ah well lol.

i did try what you said. and its still crashing and BSoD

its STO - 100%

as i can run anything else for however long i want.
    edited February 2010
    Aeleys wrote:
    its a he, but ah well lol.

i did try what you said. and its still crashing and BSoD

its STO - 100%

as i can run anything else for however long i want.

Oops. My bad. You just have so much pink and purple in your sig, I figured you were a chick.

Hmm..this poses quite the mystery then. The only thing I can think of is to start experimenting with variant ingame and out of game graphics settings. For instance, trying to play with Occlusions and Dynamic Lighting off. Going into your CCC options and make sure Antialiasing is on "2x - Box" and then recheck the box to leave it the setting up to the application.

Don't know if it does this with other ATI users, but on my rig...the game will use it's own 8x antialiasing..and if I change the CCC slider for FSAA to say 4x to 8x or 16x, it actually factors that too, and hits me with the load. This is despite the fact I have the box checked to use "App setting" over the CCC setting. So if you use FSAA, you could be getting with twice the processor/resource use for little to show for it.

For the most part though these are just things to give you stability, and smoother FPS. Stopping the BSODs...it's gotta' be Driver/hardware related. Oh, I got an idea.

Look up and download this program: Prime95

People use this to test their hardware when they've overclocked their processor/memory, etc. What it does is shift your processor and all its cores to 100% load, along with your RAM, and run checks throughout the RAM to see if there's any problems. It gives you an idea of what your temperatures would be like under the harshest conditions, and whether or not your system can maintain it, or it will just BSOD and force you to lower the OC. Try it, and let it just go nuts for a good 5 mins. Then stop it. If there's any problems, it should show you the errors. If not, then we can at least rule out your proc/ram/mobo for the most part, and focus on the video card/drivers/game.

Also it would help if you post the type of BSOD message you're getting. Like whether it's a "PAGING FILE BLAH BLAH" or "IRQ_LESS-THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO", etc. Helps pinpoint if it's hardware or driver related.
    edited February 2010
    Anonelbe wrote:
    Oops. My bad. You just have so much pink and purple in your sig, I figured you were a chick.

Hmm..this poses quite the mystery then. The only thing I can think of is to start experimenting with variant ingame and out of game graphics settings. For instance, trying to play with Occlusions and Dynamic Lighting off. Going into your CCC options and make sure Antialiasing is on "2x - Box" and then recheck the box to leave it the setting up to the application.

Don't know if it does this with other ATI users, but on my rig...the game will use it's own 8x antialiasing..and if I change the CCC slider for FSAA to say 4x to 8x or 16x, it actually factors that too, and hits me with the load. This is despite the fact I have the box checked to use "App setting" over the CCC setting. So if you use FSAA, you could be getting with twice the processor/resource use for little to show for it.

For the most part though these are just things to give you stability, and smoother FPS. Stopping the BSODs...it's gotta' be Driver/hardware related. Oh, I got an idea.

Look up and download this program: Prime95

People use this to test their hardware when they've overclocked their processor/memory, etc. What it does is shift your processor and all its cores to 100% load, along with your RAM, and run checks throughout the RAM to see if there's any problems. It gives you an idea of what your temperatures would be like under the harshest conditions, and whether or not your system can maintain it, or it will just BSOD and force you to lower the OC. Try it, and let it just go nuts for a good 5 mins. Then stop it. If there's any problems, it should show you the errors. If not, then we can at least rule out your proc/ram/mobo for the most part, and focus on the video card/drivers/game.

Also it would help if you post the type of BSOD message you're getting. Like whether it's a "PAGING FILE BLAH BLAH" or "IRQ_LESS-THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO", etc. Helps pinpoint if it's hardware or driver related.

lol, the bright colors are so people acually look.

but anyway.

can you give me the links to the 9.8 catalyst drivers, and the drive/registry cleaners you used. cause i will re-do everything. then ill run prime 95

EDIT: this is 2 of the bsod's i have had:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    edited February 2010
    9.8 SEEMS to be doing the trick for me. I'll keep going for as long as I can and hopefully it stays fine :P

Thanks for working this one out!
    edited February 2010
    yep, today it seemed to work perfectly fine and ALOT cooler, my rear and side fans were blowing cold, yes COLD... before they were warm/hot now thanks to all the help i can inform more people i will make a thread. along with thanks to the people who helped
    edited January 2011
    After havin continiously crahses with the launcher I deactivated all apps that uses special ports or network connectivities like: Teamviewer and skype and my laucher stopped crashing.
    Also update your video driver.
  • acevorlonacevorlon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting reading this thread, I have AMD/Nvidia setup and keep getting grafix crashes. In my case I could get the game going again by alt-tabbing through my screens back to STO, if this did'nt work ctrl-alt-delete, wait for game audio to stop then click cancel but when all that starts I know a major game freeze/CTD is coming soon.
    I must have sent a dozen error dumps ( at almost 2Gb !! each ) and have filed a ticket..no response yet tho....

we live in hope..heheheh

Night....
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    acevorlon wrote: »
    Interesting reading this thread, I have AMD/Nvidia setup and keep getting grafix crashes. In my case I could get the game going again by alt-tabbing through my screens back to STO, if this did'nt work ctrl-alt-delete, wait for game audio to stop then click cancel but when all that starts I know a major game freeze/CTD is coming soon.
    I must have sent a dozen error dumps ( at almost 2Gb !! each ) and have filed a ticket..no response yet tho....

we live in hope..heheheh

Night....

If your whole system freezes or crashes the likelyhood is very high for the problem to lie with the PC itself - and Cryptic cannot fix peoples PCs.

The most common sources of such problems are (very generally an in no particular order):
    Faulty RAM
    Faulty GFX RAM
    Mainboard compatibility issues
    Bad BIOS settings
    Driver version/conflict

Beyond this things become more difficult, as most individual hardware defects can cause near-unpredictable system instability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • wolverine0078wolverine0078 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It keeps crashing every 5 minutes after logging in. Tried to uninstall/reinstall through Steam three time and different settings. Last tired to download the installer off perfectworld to see if that makes a difference. Still crash and getting fed up about all the crashes. I have tired different graphic cards, tested my RAM which all passed. Install on my D: drive. Tried even uninstalling and reinstalling my operating system as well, no luck :confused:.

System Spec
    Core I7 3770K 3.50GHz
    Corsair Vengeance LP 16.0GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, XMP
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper3 mobo
    Gigabyte HD7950 3.0GB GDDR5
    256GB SDD
    Two 2.0TB HDD

Any suggestion would help.